Start by marking “Yes Man” as Want to Read:
Yes Man

Yes Man

Recently single, Danny Wallace was falling into loneliness and isolation. When a stranger on a bus advises, "Say yes more," Wallace vows to say yes to every offer, invitation, challenge, and chance.

In Yes Man, Wallace recounts his months-long commitment to complete openness with profound insight and humbling honesty. Saying yes takes Wallace into a new plane of existence:
Published June 6th 2006 by Gallery Books (first published July 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Yes Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes Man

Start your review of Yes Man
Jess
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am a bit saddened by all the appalling reviews that the movie Yes Man has been getting. I mean, I was a bit apprehensive when I heard that Jim Carrey was going to play the lead role... and that it was going to be set in America instead of Britain... and that they'd essentially written a whole new story... but, well, I wasn't really paying much attention at the time, so I remained optimistic.

But since it's come out, from what I hear it's more or less Liar, Liar reworked, and that's kind of depr
Teresa
Jul 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
I made it 75% of the way through and then decided my time was too precious to be irritated with this author for one more minute. The concept of the book is really interesting and he has a few excellent examples of times he said yes that really forwarded his life experiences. However, I just got tired of hearing about all the times he said "yes" to credit card offers or spam e-mail. It would have been one thing if he'd said to his readers "I realize this is silly, but it's part of my project." In ...more
Sara
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: laughing people
THIS BOOK WAS GREAT. I loved it. Danny is funny, quick witted and VERY British.

He runs into someone on a bus who tells him he should "say yes more" after being in a bit of a rut. He decides to take this guy literally which leads him into a lot of scrapes and awkward situations which allow us to laugh quiet a bit.

it would never work unless you had the type of job he does where he can come and go as he pleases...but the message is a great one. Put yourself out there.

good find. i love Powell's.
Shannon
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lulz
I maintain that Danny Wallace is a silly bitch. His antics are awesome to read about, but I get the impression if I was a friend of his I'd be like YOU SPAZ, or.. since I'd be British.. YOU WANKER.

This is as funny as the movie (which is hilaaaiours) but in a more Britishy way. This book won't really, I don't think, change most people's lives, as one of the cover review claims- but it will amuse you. Greatly.

Though a few times I genuinely was disturbed by the lack of intelligence shown by Mr.Wal
Rebecca
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Abby Hansen
I will not recommend this book to anyone. You’ll have to discover it on your own. I don’t even know why I read it. (Except that my Goodreads friend, Abby, had it on her list and really liked it.) Something pushed me towards it. Without even thinking, I got on Amazon and bought a used copy. Going against my better judgment, I said “Yes” to this book.

This book is not what it appears to be. It appears to be a British humour (don’t get me wrong, I like British humour) (with a “u”), The Year of Livin
Maggie Campbell
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"'But the happiest people are the ones who understand that good things occur when one allows them to.'"

"I was on the verge of something. But sometimes to look forward, you have to look back."

"...Before I'd thought of those as self-contained little moments. I'd never really considered that they might be beginnings, that they might lead somewhere, that they might be for the best."

"The closed mind is a disease. You need to have an open mind; otherwise life will just pass you by."

"He was someone who
Vanessa
Jun 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
I must admit that I actually preferred the movie adaptation to the book itself and its not often I say that!

I did read the book first before the movie but I didn't find it hilarious like a lot of people said. It was funny in places but a lot of it just seemed a bit ridiculous.

Michael
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying, this book is nothing like the movie - thank goodness. Secondly, I need to confess that I agreed to read this book because I am a bit of a stick in the mud about the whole 'yes to new experiences' rhetoric. While I am definitely up for new experiences, I am already bargaining with myself over finite resources of time and energy to spend on things that I know I want to do already! The prospect of having those resources wasted by someone else's whims makes me feel a little i ...more
Annalise
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book started off with a bang, grabbing my interest and making me laugh. Then, it dragged on. And on. And on. I was quite relieved when it finally came to a conclusion, to be honest.

The concept is fabulous. And, quite a few of the adventures (mostly the ones at the beginning) are hilarious. However, I found he narrator... annoying. Is he really a complete simpleton, or is it just done in an incredibly facetious way? I was torn between thinking it was put on, and thinking the narrator was a c
Elizabeth
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beautiful-books
The film version of this book stunk. In no way did the Hollywood version of this story translate the histeria and the heart of this story. I read this while living in London, when Danny Wallace was really just up and coming. He had made it when he got a meme going through his audience of reader from "Join Me"... through tiny want ads in the newspaper!

Read this book, especially if you are an anglophile. Never, ever watch the terrible film.
Dani
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book takes me back to when I lived in London and the concept of this seemed totally possible! I 'loled' many a time which took me by surprise, I didn't think I would like it this much! I couldn't really get into the other Danny Wallace books unfortunately, however this book is def a 5/5.
Sally
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
This guy is trying really, really hard to be funny.
JK
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Usually when I finish a book, I have one overarching feeling which can be summed up in one word. It’s never the same word, but I can always find one to describe how I feel. My word for Yes Man is stunned. I am stunned so many of my friends laud this book for its hilarity. I am stunned it has such popularity. Most of all, I am stunned I made it to the end.

I think most of us are familiar with the Yes Man concept, thanks to Jim Carrey. Man stops saying no, and starts saying yes, making way for a bo
Baba
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A stranger tells Danny to 'say yes more'… this is the story of Danny saying yes to everything for six months… made me laugh out loud so many times! Too many comedians including putting down others in their repertoire, I enjoy Wallace's work so much because it is rarely at other people's expense and usually there's a story happening pushing the narrative and making it that more interesting. 6 out of 12.
Abby
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, you read a book that just makes you happy over and over again, and you are always excited to pick it up, and you regularly laugh out loud while reading it. Then you get so into it that you decide to try doing exactly what the author does in the book for a couple days. Then you forget in about 10 minutes and get off track. Oh, and THEN! Then you decide to watch the Jim Carrey movie that was "inspired" by the book you are enjoying so much, and you're mad. You're mad because the movie is ...more
Ben Dutton
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Okay. So I was travelling back from Norwich to North Wales, facing a six hour train journey, still tired, not ready to face Roberto Bolano, and from within the shop window I saw a copy of Danny Wallace’s Yes Man. The night before, with an evening to kill in Norwich, I went to the cinema with no idea what was playing, and so I made a decision – buy a ticket for whatever the next film starting was. That film was Yes Man, with Jim Carrey. The film, it had its moments, and Zooey Deschanel was gorgeo ...more
Katie
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while travelling around Europe - a friend I was travelling with was actually reading it at the beginning of our trip, and after hearing her laughing and giggling (as well as feeling compelled to read out large chunks to me) as she read it made me desperate for her to finish so I could borrow it! It did not disappoint.
Very funny, but with a moral too, this is an amusing, easy read which also leaves you thinking about your own life and how you could learn from the book. This is s
Anna
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Forgive me, but this review is based on the memory of a book that I got from Shepherd's Bush library over two years ago, but boy, what a memory!

I don't think I've ever felt as exhilerated after finishing a book before! A bit of a strange one to catagorize - from what I recall this is a memoir but with a very fictional prose style, making the whole thing seem very unbelievable, but from all accounts the details are all fact -

Radio producer Danny Wallace is offered some advice by a stranger - 'sa
Jessica
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was both moving and HOWLINGLY funny. After meeting a man on a bus who may or may not have been Jesus, Buddha, Maitreya the World Teacher, or all three, Danny Wallace decides to say yes to everything asked of him for one year. He gets a bad haircut, is hypnotized by the world's only hypnotic dog, goes to Amsterdam and gets stoned with a guy named Jahn, and buys a mint green Nissan Figaro. He also meets dozens of new people, gets a huge promotion, has a lot more fun, and finds true love. ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, nonfiction
I thought/hoped this book would be like AJ Jacobs' book, The Know-It-All. Unfortunately, it lacked the dorky charm and sincerity that book had in spades. The premise of this book is that the author, a BBC producer, must say "yes" to all requests made of him for a certain period of time. While there were some very funny moments, the whole charade seemed both contrived, overly preachy, and, by the middle, stale. (The author's feigned innocence about all of the spam he received was particularly har ...more
Emily Mellow
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, but I think this might be that rare situation where the movie is better than the book. He spends too long trying to be funny. His literally saying Yes to everything, even when he means No, is ridiculous and causes many frustrating situations. Reading it was like watching a bad sitcom. I just wanted it to get to the good part, where saying yes led to amazing things in his life. But it never seemed to... although his change of attitude definitely improved his life. He w ...more
Rachel
Jan 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Well, where to start?

The premise of this book is that Danny Wallace goes through life saying no, until some stranger on a bus tells him to say yes more.

Ok, nice idea. Except it goes completely and utterly ridiculous. It's a true story, but I have to wonder what kind of idiot would say yes to things that get him in fights and end up with him being in a supermarket in Amsterdam?

Only in the last 70 pages or so did this book become less annoying, but then it went from being annoying to being predict
Kjerstin
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a book. Out loud, mind you. This book is witty, brilliant, and best of all based on real experiences. Inspiring for the long-term, it's in my list of personal bibles. Two cautions: 1) language warning, for those who care, and 2) too much in one sitting and Wallace's humor can get almost grating because it's so intense. Having said that... Read this book. Say yes.
Ane
Nov 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
maybe I wasn't in the mood for this but the book dragged on and on and I got bored around page 150. So this one is going on the shelf for a while until I can handle the mundane adventures and silly schemes another time.
whichwaydidshego
It's Eat, Pray, Love on testosterone and humor. Adored it! My gut hurts from laughing so hard, yet in there somewhere it was poignant and important.

And the answer is Yes.
Kora Kaos
It's a great idea. The last 20 pages are brilliant. But on the other 380 pages to get there, I had very often to resist the urge to throw this book against a wall. It drags too long... And partially it's simply stupid. Anyway, the idea is good.
And yes, we all should say yes much more often! Yes!
Em Robinson
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes Man has been one of my favourite movies for a while now and I didn't know how I hadn't realised it was based on a book! The book was uplifting and joyous and really makes you look at the choices you make on a day to day basis. Big and small things. It really makes you think and maybe be a little more open to saying yes!
Sirishma
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, thought provoking - that's how I would describe . I'm glad I stumbled across this book.
Aneta
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Laughing -out-loud- on- the- train-funny!! Loved it!!
Puja
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
What does it mean to become a Yes Man(or woman) ? Can saying yes more truly change your life for the better or make it more interesting in a good way ? It was this curiosity and the promotional messages that sold the book to me and I bought it immediately on reading about it. However, it sat for over a year on a book shelf before I finally picked it up to read. Did the book live up to its marketing promise/value? Well, I certainly shouldn't have rushed in to buy the only available imported editi ...more
Read the Movie: Yes Man 2 43 Apr 14, 2012 10:49AM

• Are You Dave Gorman?
  • Dave Gorman's Googlewhack! Adventure
  • America Unchained: A Freewheeling Roadtrip in Search of Non-Corporate USA
  • Dave Gorman vs. the Rest of the World: Whatever the Game — Dave Takes on All Comers!
  • The Timewaster Letters
  • Walkabout: A Walk in the Woods & Down Under
  • Out of the Ordinary: True Tales of Everyday Craziness
  • The Life of Lee
  • It's Not What You Think
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work exper