Start by marking “Sin: Selected Poems of Forugh Farrokhzad” as Want to Read:
Sin: Selected Poems of Forugh Farrokhzad

Sin: Selected Poems of Forugh Farrokhzad

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
For the first time, the work of Iranian poet Forugh Farrokhzad is being brought to English-speaking readers through the perspective of a translator who is a poet in her own right, fluent in both Persian and English and intimately familiar with each culture. Sin includes the entirety of Farrokhzad's last book, numerous selections from her fourth and most enduring book, Rebo ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by University of Arkansas Press (first published September 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sin

Dhiyanah
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-fire, poetry
I had read half of this while on-the-go; cafés and waiting spaces. I'm still slightly irked (mostly amused) by the thought of random people stealing a peek at my face when it was reacting to Farrokhzad's words -- this clash of private and public made for an appropriate setting, though.

I'm grateful for Wolpé. From what I've read so far, these are the most lyrical of Farrokhzad's poetry in English. Wolpé understands the importance of sounds -- the melody and rhythm of words -- which shouldn't be l
Hasan Makhzoum
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Farrokhzad's bold and modern poetry marked in the 50's and the 60's a paradigm-shift in the conventional Iranian verse.
"Gonah", "Sin" in in Persian, was the most famous poem by who was widely considered as the most significant female Iranian poet in a milieu of intellectuals that is predominantly masculine, firstly known for the controversial and provocative first stanza of the poem when published:

"I sinned, a sin all filled with pleasure
next to a body now limp and languid
I know not what I did,
Chris
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I hadn’t heard of Farrokhzad until last year when I visited the Hirshorn in Washington DC. There they had a Shiren Neshat show (which was awesome) and this book was sold in the gift shop. I brought after I read a few of the poems.
These poems are awesome and awe inspiring. They deal with sexuality, death, life and everything in between. There is music and rhythm here.
Love these poems. There is such direct confrontation to them that is refreshing.
Shaindel
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Iranian Americans, women, poets, anyone interested in poetry in translation
I had the pleasure of interviewing Sholeh Wolpe, the translator of this collection of Forugh Farrokhzad's poems on my show, Translated By, a few days ago:

Forugh Farrokhzad was a dynamic figure in pre-Revolutionary (pre-1979) Iran and the greatest female poet, perhaps greatest poet of all, of her generation.

Sholeh Wolpe does a fantastic job translating her work and introducing English-language readers to this amazing woman's life and work.

Many amazing poe
Addie
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Alas, this is my lot.
This is my lot.
My lot is a sky that can be shut out
by the mere hanging of a curtain.
My lot is descending a lonely staircase
to something rotting and falling apart in its exile.
My lot is a gloomy stroll in a grove of memories,
and dying from longing for a voice
that says: /I love your hands./

I plant my hands in the garden soil--
I will sprout,
I know, I know, I know.
And in the hollow of my ink-stained palms
swallows will make their nest.
Joseph
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recommended this book on my blog but didn't place it among the top 5 books in translation I'd read in 2012. Rereading it for these comments, though, I began to think it should have been on that shorter list. Saying so forces me to set aside the dark romanticism of Farrokhzad's situation (a woman poet who suffered familial and social oppression for the views expressed in her poetry, who nevertheless persisted in her rebellion, and who died in a car accident at the age of 32); I do believe the l ...more
metaphor
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
We lost whatever we were to lose.
We began our journey without a lantern;
Anastacia Davis Bersch
When does the act of translation change a poem into a new work entirely? When does the context and process of translation matter most? How much should a translator give away about their process? Is it advantageous to leave some parts of the translation process undone--or unresolved?

I find myself asking these questions after finishing this collection of poems. While the translations are considered--and surely accurate--there seems to be a missing sense of their original context. Something, I wou
Aashish
brilliant poems, great translator by Shoep
Mark
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first reading of poems of Forugh Farrokhzad and I am better informed for having read them, over and over. I found the biography of Farrokhzad and brief history of Iran/U.S. relations included, helpful in understanding where we are now and how we arrived at this point.
kyliemm
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-summer
Reading these lovely poems by Iranian poet Forugh Farrokhzad--translated from the Persian originals by her young female relative, also a writer--made me wish I could read Persian; the translations are beautiful, but in Persian they would be gorgeous. Farrokhzad was a pivotal Iranian poet in the 50s and 60s who explored subjects ranging from sexual love to politics. Unfortunately, she died (in her early 30s) just as the Iranian political situation was heating up (even more); her political poetry ...more
Sincerae Smith
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iranian-poetry
Forough Farrokhzad is considered to be one of Iran's greatest female modern poets. She was not only a poet, but also a film maker. Farrokhzad led a very unconventional life for an Iranian woman after the breakup of her marriage. Her poems reflect sexuality, loneliness, torment, the beauty of nature. This translation in English is beautiful, sensual, and lush, so it has to be even more so in the original Farsi. Farrokhzad was killed in a car crash in 1967 at age 32. After the Iranian Revolution, ...more
Fred Daly
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She's an Iranian poet who shocked everyone in the 1950s and 1960s by writing frankly about her various love affairs. I like her poems, but reading several in a row can get a little overwhelming: the imagery can start to feel oppressive and almost random. But taken one at a time, the poems grab you with their raw emotion.
D.A.
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best translations, I fear. Not that I'm an expert. But I've read other translations of the poems that I felt approximated in English what the newness of the poems must have been like to her audience in Iran.
Tony
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, translations
Forugh Farrokhzad is the best Persian poet of the 20th century--sexy, irreverent, romantic, intense. Wolpe's translations are wonderful. Finally Forrokhzad has a poet's voice in English.
J.W. Wexford
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Amazing. Too bad she died young, and he poetry is banned in Iran.
Bilge
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
"Whatever the equation, one can always be a zero. Whether added, subtracted or multiplied." said the poet.
Julie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She carries out words that tend to be tucked away in the hidden pockets of the heart. R.I.P dearest Forough..
sarah louise
underwhelmed, at first, by the first half,
then exploded by the second half.
landmark writer with magic language skills.
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful poetry! There is much passion and startling imagery in her poems. She was an Iranian woman ahead of her time but remarkably creative and strong in her intentions.
Mik
Ehsan
Jan 17, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Vis and Ramin
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • Poetry of Arab Women: A Contemporary Anthology
  • Spring Essence: The Poetry of Hô Xuân Huong
  • The Descent of Alette
  • Darkness Spoken: The Collected Poems of Ingeborg Bachmann
  • The Angels Knocking on the Tavern Door: Thirty Poems of Hafez
  • One with Others: [a little book of her days]
  • Women with Mustaches and Men without Beards: Gender and Sexual Anxieties of Iranian Modernity
  • Born Palestinian, Born Black
  • Poems 1913-1956
  • Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran
  • The Art of Losing: Poems of Grief and Healing
  • it
  • If I Were Another: Poems
  • The Collected Poems, 1956-1998
  • The Hand of Poetry: Five Mystic Poets of Persia: Translations from the Poems of Sanai, Attar, Rumi, Saadi and Hafiz
  • Rough Honey
(Forough Farrokhzad)

فروغ فرخزاد (۸ دی، ۱۳۱۳ - ۲۴ بهمن، ۱۳۴۵) شاعر معاصر ایرانی است. وی پنج دفتر شعر منتشر کرد که از نمونههای قابل توجه شعر معاصر فارسی هستند. فروغ فرخزاد در ۳۲ سالگی بر اثر تصادف اتومبیل بدرود حیات گفت.

فروغ با مجموعه های «اسیر»، «دیوار» و «عصیان» در قالب شعر نیمایی کار خود را آغاز کرد. سپس آشنایی با ابراهیم گلستان نویسنده و فیلمساز سرشناس ایرانی و همکاری با او، موجب تحول فکری و ادب
More about فروغ فرخزاد...