Start by marking “Entoverse (Giants, #4)” as Want to Read:
Entoverse (Giants, #4)

Entoverse (Giants #4)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  468 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Human society on Jevlen was falling apart -- and it looked as if JEVEX, the immense super-computer that managed all Jevlenese affairs, was at the heart of the matter. Except that the problems didn't stop when JEVEX was shut down. People were changing -- or being changed. It was almost as if the Jevlenese were being possessed...

Meanwhile, in a very different universe, where
Mass Market Paperback, 411 pages
Published October 1992 by Del Rey (first published October 1991)

Per Gunnar
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Wow, it took me from the 28th of July to the 2nd of August to read this book. That’s really a long time for me. It has nothing to do with the book though but rather due to the fact that we constantly seem to be doing things that keep me away from my reading during the summer holidays. Rather the inverse from what I expected.

Anyway, this book in the Giants series wanders quite far from the original. It starts of like the previous book but it never really recovers from its nose dive into a more tr
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
I did like the first two Giants novels. Hogan's writing could be somewhat clunky and a bit dry in scientific detail, but the imagination and play with scientific ideas are often first rate. I found that redeeming in the first two novels. I was majorly annoyed in the third novel though when the conspiracy angle came up. That probably didn't leave me in a very forgiving mood going into this fourth novel, written over a decade after the first three. It just got way too eye-rolling ridiculous for me ...more
Tymothy
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
This one wasn't as good as the first two in the series, but had some good ideas. Definitely wandered more and didn't grab my attention as well.
Ralph
Nov 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This book dropped in what made the earlier books so interesting. This book was a little slow and heavy.
Matthew Frost
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not very interesting. This series could do without this book
Gwyn Rees
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Difficult to start but you become engrossed in it all
Bruce
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, cyberpunk
I loved the first three books of the Giants series in high school, and they have held up well for me ever since. Entoverse, however, never really drew me into the story the same way.

This is a solid continuation of the series, however, and may work better for other readers.

3 stars
Mark Austin
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Kyra
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Awesomely innovative. A worthy book in the "Giants" saga. Hard scifi that completely blew me away with its imaginative storyline. Hogan is gone, and we as a species are so much the poorer as a result.

If you like hard scifi, you will love this book. If you're a "Giants" series lover, it will put you in heaven.

James P. Hogan was one of the most creative writers of the 20th century. Entoverse brilliantly shows why that was the case.

Perhaps the best "aliens" ever!
Jeff
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I found this rather interesting enough to consider ready the previous books in the series. There were moments where is was more technical that I really comprehend but it was expressed well enough in the story line to not leave you to far out in the cold. The character's were humorous enough and likable to keep the heaviness from taking over.
  • Earth Made of Glass (Giraut #2)
  • The Listeners
  • The Shores of Tomorrow (The Chronicles of Solace, #3)
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • The Patchwork Girl
  • Einstein's Bridge
  • The Blood of a Dragon (Ethshar, #4)
  • The Turing Option
  • The Stone God Awakens
  • West Of Honor
  • The Quantum Connection (Warp Speed, #2)
  • Millennium
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Camelot 30K
  • The Shield of Time (Time Patrol, #5)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds II
  • The I Inside
  • Carve the Sky
James Patrick Hogan was a British science fiction author.

Hogan was was raised in the Portobello Road area on the west side of London. After leaving school at the age of sixteen, he worked various odd jobs until, after receiving a scholarship, he began a five-year program at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough covering the practical and theoretical sides of electrical, electronic, and m
More about James P. Hogan...

Giants (5 books)
  • Inherit the Stars (Giants, #1)
  • The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (Giants, #2)
  • Giants' Star (Giants, #3)
  • Mission to Minerva (Giants, #5)