Start by marking “Edith Piaf: The Wheel of Fortune: The Official Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Edith Piaf: The Wheel of Fortune: The Official Autobiography

Edith Piaf: The Wheel of Fortune: The Official Autobiography

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Edith Piaf's life is almost as famous as her work. From her birth (which she liked to tell people was in the Parisian streets, her mother shielded by two gendarmes) to her death (when her husband allegedly drove her corpse from the Cannes hospital where she died to her flat, lest her fans think that she had abandoned Paris) her life story was a rags-to-riches tale like no ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Peter Owen Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Edith Piaf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edith Piaf

Helen
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was brought up on artists like Piaf, and have long thought she had an amazing voice. It seems that it is one that people tend to either love or hate. I dressed as Piaf for a French evening event at college. Knowing my interest, someone bought me a copy of the dvd 'La Vie en Rose' based on her life, but it sat in my drawer for ages waiting for me to get round to it. I did a few weeks ago. I hadn't realised it was in French - my French is VERY rusty - but subtitles made it watchable. I was left ...more
Anna
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to the voice of Edith Piaf while reading this book (in her songs and in every line, every word of her memoirs) I felt, that every story becomes alive, "visible". I imagined the cabarets and the Paris streets, stages in prison camps and US music halls, where she sang... and it does no matter, that the book seems to be a puzzle of short stories from one person's life, but it does matter, that you can feel through every word, what could make Edith happy, what a great personality she was.
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
This book was a walk of nostaligia fitting to Piaf's friends, family and fans who grew with her career and music. Not knowing much about her, and craving drama and controversy similar to that of the film based on her life (Le Vie En Rose) I found the book to be bland. She discusses only the happier events of her life, which is understandable and perhaps the translation is poor. I am awaiting another biography about Piaf to become available at my local library (I have it on reserve).

Overall, it
Bridget
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's rare to find an utterly honest autobiography and sadly this is also the case here. I actually tend not to read autobiographies as people never paint themselves in an honest light. In the Wheel of Fortune, Piaf goes to great lengths to describe everything that is wonderful about her and her life leaving out a lot of the negative...in essence a lot of her life. If you love this woman's unique voice, let her music do the talking and steer clear of this autobiography.
Jim Butcher
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Piaf presents her story in heroic fashion. She shares her indomitable spirit. You have to guess where reality merges into a little fantasy. Not one iota of self pity, despite the illness and drugs through her life (these are barely mentioned). A true dreamer and romantic, and a unique talent. I suspect this is as close as you get to Piaff, not factually, but in spirit.
Nina Draganova
Имах книга за Едит Пиаф, която беше разтърстваща и доста подробно разказваше за живота й. Някъде изчезна във времето и мислех , че тази ще я замени. Но няма нищо общо. Не ме увлече,нито ми стана интересна.
Frances
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dani
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it
It was ok. Saw La Vie en Rose and was very curious about Piaf's life. Didn't really like this book ~ thought there was alot that was skipped over.
Carmel
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I was disappointed that the focus was on her career. I would have liked to have read more about her early life, her emotional life and relationships.
Mary Louise
Apr 12, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: memoir
After watching the movie, La Vie en Rose, I am interested in reading about this singer.
Jess
Jul 15, 2008 marked it as to-read
I really want to know more about her. Can't stop listening to her music lately.
Leanne
  • A Little Learning
  • Nazi Terror: The Gestapo, Jews, and Ordinary Germans
  • The House of Mitford
  • Fathers and Sons: The Autobiography of a Family
  • Super Boys: The Amazing Adventures of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster--the Creators of Superman
  • The Coming of the Fairies
  • Two Histories of England
  • Advertising the American Dream: Making Way for Modernity, 1920-1940
  • The Brontë Cabinet: Three Lives in Nine Objects
  • The Forgotten Founding Father: Noah Webster's Obsession and the Creation of an American Culture
  • Faberge's Eggs: The Extraordinary Story of the Masterpieces That Outlived an Empire
  • Uncommon Arrangements: Seven Portraits of Married Life in London Literary Circles 1910-1939
  • The Monsters: Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein
  • Emily Post: Daughter of the Gilded Age, Mistress of American Manners
  • The Short, Strange Life of Herschel Grynszpan: A Boy Avenger, a Nazi Diplomat, and a Murder in Paris
  • Constellation of Genius: 1922: Modernism Year One
  • Five Sisters: The Langhornes of Virginia
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
Édith Piaf, born Édith Giovanna Gassion, was a French singer who became widely regarded as France's national popular singer, as well as being one of France's greatest international stars. Her singing reflected her life, with her specialty being ballads. Among her songs are "La Vie en rose" (1946), "Non, je ne regrette rien" (1960), "Hymne à l'amour" (1949), "Milord" (1959), "La Foule" (1957), "l'A ...more
More about Édith Piaf...