Start by marking “Blood Memory” as Want to Read:
Blood Memory

Blood Memory

Graham, the extraordinary creative force who ranks with Picasso and Stravinsky, broke traditional molds and ultimately changed the way we look at the world. Blood Memory invites readers to explore her phenomenal life and highlights the unforgettable images that encompass her work. 100 photographs.
Published (first published August 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Memory

Abby
Jul 12, 2009 rated it liked it
this should be required reading for anyone who is seriously studying dance (especially dance history). martha graham is one of the most important people in dance history, and being able to peek into her mind is exhilarating. i felt like i was a kid listening outside a door to a very adult conversation--like i didn't belong there but unable to move out of fascination.
even though sometimes you have no idea what the hell she's talking about (especially when she's describing the motivation behind h
Katerina
Эта книга (пер. В. Щелкиной, лит. ред. М. Афанасьевой) позиционируется как первая книга по-русски о великой Марте Грэм, но увы, по-русски книг про Марту Грэм по-прежнему нет. Есть дичайший набор абзацев и предложений, по которым можно преподавать курс "Основы пиздецового перевода":

- "я была избрана стать танцовщицей, и с этим живешь всю жизнь"
- "его образ жизни был скорее европейским, но он стал американцем"
- "он глубоко чувствовал страсть и те прекрасные вещи, которые индейцы могли нам дать"
Kylie
Nov 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people interested in dance
Shelves: biography
The autobiography of one of the most intoxicatingly intense women who ever lived, it is a testament to talent and to passion, and to the unflinching certainty that being oneself is best.
Melanie
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from my dance teacher. Two chapters in I looked it up on Amazon and ordered my own copy. I knew it was one I would go back to over and over again. It is so much more than the autobiography of a dance legend. It is a book about life: life as dance and dance as life, creativity linked to the life of the soul. It changed my world.
Joe
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An almost stream of conscious memoir looking over 94 years of the life of one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.
Judah
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
An intimate autobiography from an amazing woman. Recommended for anyone who wants an inside look at what drives the creative desire...not for dancers alone!
Veronique
Il s'agit essentiellement d'une succession d'anecdotes qui ont constitué la vie de Martha Graham. Elles n'ont pas une grande valeur littéraire et m'ont un peu laissées sur ma faim: ces grands moments disent assez peu du quotidien. Mais il y a aussi quelques pages essentielles.
Céline Minard aurait-elle lu ce livre ? : "... les dons du funambule. Comme lui, nous avons tous un jour ou l'autre, marché en équilibre sur le fil des circonstances.Nous connaissons comme lui la force d'attraction de la p
Callie Di Nello
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
An intriguing read, but one that bunnyhops around with little flow
Angelea
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martha Graham is probably the most well-known name among today's modern dancers. She existed from 1894-1991, but will undoubtedly be remembered forever. When I saw that she had written an autobiography, I had no choice but to dive right in. Videos of her dancing can be found all over the internet and I couldn't wait to put a personality to the figure. I have no regrets.

In Blood Memory, Martha spills her guts. She tries to completely reveal her insides through powerful words. Her purpose of writi
Jo
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really enjoyed the first part of this book. Reading about her childhood influences, Her time with Ruth St. Denis and Ted, and her early evolution as a dancer. However, I felt the book started to become an trip through name dropping more as it progressed. Not that there weren't gems and inspiration to be found later in the book, but I would have probably ranked it higher if the second half was more like the first.
Lily Wong
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Just finished today. If you take it for what it is, knowing Martha's racial/socio-economic background, you can take what speaks to you and leave the rest behind. Don't remember the last time I read an autobiography/memoir but there's only so much me-ism I can tolerate before it gets to be too much. Still there are quite a few gems of insights about dance and parallels to life. She was quite a woman of her time.
Amber
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dancers
Shelves: 2010, sacred-dance
I feel I have a better grasp of modern dance after reading about Martha's life in her own words. I was strictly trained as a classical dancer and, I must admit, I have often turned up my nose at modern dance. I am trying to have a more open mind and heart in all matters, so I decided to read Blood Memory and I definitely was not disappointed. I was inspired and intrigued.
Chava
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not unlike Katherine Hepburn's autobiography, except for the events; a very egocentric (yes that is necessarily the nature of anyone's memoirs, however Graham, like Hepburn, is simply breathless over her endlessly fascinating life - it's a bit much) account of a life spent dancing. Wonderful photos throughout.
Sissy
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Being brought up on the Martha Graham technique, I couldn't help but be moved by her autobiography. Even her words had a special kind of movement about them. One remarkable lady who lived a remarkable life.
Parker Herren
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful genius. Such an incredible woman and legacy.
Race Teo Shi Ming
First half of the book was good. After that it got draggy
Ellie
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought that Martha just jumped off the pages with her Marthaisms in this book. One should rad between the lines on this one.
Reyna Grande
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Eloquently written and profound.
Ryn
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-stories
This is one of the great artist autobiographies that inspires and motivates one. I liked it nearly as much as "Just Kids." Amazing
Josie
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I forgot how beautiful this book is. Great for a bit of artistic inspiration.
Cinzia Galletto
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Un must have per chi lavora con il corpo. Un approfondimento di come una personalità così forte abbia saputo affermarsi e dichiarar si attraverso i suoi lavori. bellissimo!
Rosemarie
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Life from the discerning eyes of a dancer: the spiritual mixed in with the vain, the volatile, and the violent, with no application of a filtered third-party self-review.
Marija
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, personal and just brilliant. Martha Graham shares her experience with dance, family and passion. The book is an internal glimpse into many people!!!
Tara
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you for existing on this planet, Martha Graham.
Alison
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This woman was mad and a genius and reading her autobiography gives you an insight into her world that made clear how to actually move in her technique.
Diane
  • The Diary of Vaslav Nijinsky
  • Once a Dancer: An Autobiography
  • Margot Fonteyn
  • Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet
  • 101 Stories of the Great Ballets: The Scene-by-Scene Stories of the Most Popular Ballets, Old and New
  • The Pointe Book: Shoes, Training & Technique
  • The Complete New Yorker: Eighty Years of the Nation's Greatest Magazine (Book & 8 DVD-ROMs)
  • Dancing on My Grave
  • Ballerina
  • Conditioning for Dance: Training for Peak Performance in All Dance Forms
  • White Swan, Black Swan
Martha Graham was an American dancer and choreographer regarded as one of the foremost pioneers of modern dance, and is widely considered one of the greatest artists of the 20th century. Graham invented a new language of movement, and used it to reveal the passion, the rage and the ecstasy common to human experience. She danced and choreographed for over seventy years, and during that time was the ...more
“People have asked me why I chose to be a dancer. I did not choose. I was chosen to be a dancer, and with that, you live all your life. ” 185 likes
“I feel that the essence of dance is the expression of man--the landscape of his soul. I hope that every dance I do reveals something of myself or some wonderful thing a human can be.” 61 likes