Start by marking “Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Olivia)” as Want to Read:
Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Olivia)

Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Olivia)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  2,756 Ratings  ·  365 Reviews
Grca badge winner
In this picture book starring the world’s most imaginative pig, Olivia embarks upon a quest for identity with very lofty goals—and being a princess is NOT one of them!Olivia is having an identity crisis! There are too many ruffly, sparkly princesses around these days, and Olivia has had quite enough. She needs to stand out! She has to be special! She wants to do more than ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Olivia and the Fairy Princesses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia and the Fairy Princesses

Sparrow
Dec 29, 2012 Sparrow rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Martha Graham
It has been previously mentioned once or twice that Olivia is my favorite. It is true. Olivia rules.

In this one, my particularly favorite part, other than the end, which is awesome, is the Martha Graham page. Also, good use of the words "corporate malfeasance." And Ian Falconer's drawings are, as always, amazing.

Ranking:

1. Olivia And The Missing Toy. It has the fold out page, including the surprise, and that is difficult to beat. Plus, it has a premise that is compelling to for all ages. Or, may
babyhippoface
Aug 29, 2012 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
I loved the original Olivia. It was different. It was clever. It cracked me up. I have loved the subsequent Olivia books less, though. They just didn't have the same snappy qualities of the first book.

Until this one. The Olivia that made me chuckle is back, and she's determined to stand out from the crowd. Oh, she may have wanted to be a fairy princess dressed all in pink once, but that was when she was little. Last year. Seriously. She's all grown up now. Pink is in the past.

Olivia still wants
Stacy
Sep 15, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The book is good, but the implications of Olivia and the Fairy Princesses go far beyond the surface.

Olivia is a candidate for president in our library's Vote for Books program. Yet she CLEARLY states, on the very last page of the book, that she intends to overthrow our government and establish herself the head of a MONARCHY! She doesn't want to be our president in this time of need - she wants to be a mere figurehead, sitting pretty and dripping in jewels.

Every vote counts; make sure yours is in
Jillian
Oct 28, 2012 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Olivia is in a dilemma. Of course, Olivia is a total princess, but she does not feel that special being JUST a fairy princess anymore. It seems like all of her friends are also fairy princesses, and Olivia wants to stand out! To fix her dilemma, Olivia brainstorms ideas on what she could be instead of a pink loving, fairy princess when she grows-up. How about an Indian princess? Or a French Sailor? There are so many decisions for Olivia to make. What will she decide? Will she choose to be a fair ...more
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
October 3, 2012

Falconer offers something else to all the girls who don't want to be sucked into the princess industry. Both my daughters and I give it two thumbs up. Or, you know, hooves, if that's more appropriate. (Trotters?) We love feisty, difficult, but ultimately fascinating Olivia.

Library copy.
30 May, 2013
Olivia Pitchford
Sep 11, 2012 Olivia Pitchford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caldecott-medal
This is a very well written and entertaining book. Ian Falconer, the author and illustrator, compiles a story about a young girl who questions why exactly every young girl wants to be a princess. The book takes the audience through Olivia's identity crisis of wanting to be something more than just a princess. Olivia finds herself not wanting to be like most of the girls her age, instead she wants to be and individual, which is a great message for younger girls. The author takes the reader throug ...more
Mj
Mar 08, 2015 Mj rated it liked it
Olivia and the Fairy Princesses by Ian Falconer is his most recent publication in the Olivia book series. I didn’t know this when I picked up the book to read. It was on display at the library and as a strong feminist I was wondering what the book might have to say to young girls.

I loved the message. Olivia tells her mom that when she was “little” she wanted to be a ballerina dressed in pink but now “everybody” wants to be the same “pink princess”. Olivia wants to know why they aren’t thinking a
Hannah
Feb 17, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Olivia is hilarious; a demanding, sarcastic, intelligent madam who some little girls I know will definitely relate to! This book is about Olivia realising that she no longer wants to wear pink and be a princess, because everyone else is doing it and as she says: "Why do they all want to be the same?" which elegantly opens the debate for children on diversity and fitting in.

Personally my favourite part of the book is the illustration of a Halloween party, where Olivia had come dressed as a wartho
Alana
Sep 02, 2012 Alana rated it it was amazing
Olivia is back to true greatness in Olivia and the Fairy Princesses. Admittedly, any Olivia is generally better than whatever else is out there, but this one's a true gem as Olivia fumes over the large number of girls (and even a few boys) who are mad about dressing up like pink princesses (don't they know there are LOTS of kinds of princesses, she wonders). At parties, at Halloween, at ballet... all the others just seem to lack Olivia's imagination and she struggles with the fact that everyone ...more
Shanshad Whelan
Sep 20, 2012 Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it
Okay, I'll admit it here. I've never read an Olivia book before. Why? Umm . . . no good reason except I'm not especially enamored of pigs and just didn't happen to pick any of them up. Until now. I was straightening the children's section and this one landed in my hands and I just had to read it. What sold me on it is Olivia's expression on the cover, one that indicates the "fairy princess" costume she's wearing is not a source of joy and happy pinkosity.

Now, of course, I'm going to have to go a
La Mala ✌
Sep 25, 2014 La Mala ✌ marked it as to-read
Olivia!! taratara Olivia! taratara

Oliiiiiiiiiivia!

(Lo mejor que hay en la tele para chicos -después de ZAMBA. El único dibujito que soporto ver con mi hijo. Voy a conseguir los libros como sea!!)
Dina
Sep 25, 2012 Dina rated it really liked it
I love Olivia and this book is great for all of our little princesses who might want to imagine life as someone other than a princess.
Mary
This is the anti-Pinkalicious, anti-princess book for kids (and adults) who have had enough of princesses and the color pink! You can't help but laugh out loud at Olivia and her way of thinking.
Shannon
Aug 23, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
TOO funny! Although I've never seen a kids picture book ("ages 3-7") with the word "malfeasance" used! Kudos to the author for not dumbing things down! Loving the Olivia books :)
Mary
Aug 28, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Oh, Olivia. I hope you DO become a reporter and expose corporate malfeasance. And after that, I hope you become President. President Olivia is JUST what we need.
Kathryn
Mar 05, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it
I usually really like Olivia but this one fell flat for me.
Allison
Aug 29, 2013 Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, kids
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
What's there not to love about Olivia??!!
I can't think of one thing. :)
Dolly
Dec 23, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
For some reason, we never really got into the Olivia series by Ian Falconer. We've read several of the books and liked them, but we just weren't entranced by the storylines or the main character.

When I saw the cover of this book, I was a bit wistful. Our girls went through a fairy princess phase themselves and had this book come out then, I'm sure they would've loved it. I figured they'd just roll their eyes if I brought it home now, though. But I decided to borrow it from the library and just
Teré Mashburn
Oct 30, 2016 Teré Mashburn rated it really liked it
Shelves: educ-378
Olivia is at a point in her life where she finds that she doesn't want to fit into the "norm" or simply go with the flow. As people grow, we come to discover things we like/dislike. This story reminds me of the overall learning and self-discovering that we all go through throughout our life.

As young girls, society mostly expects all girl to be pretty, to like princesses and fairy tales, wear pink and be a kind, gentle spirit. Olivia clearly isn't that and she mentions that she's depressed, which
Valerie Jones
Oct 04, 2012 Valerie Jones rated it it was amazing
Olivia is back in another cute tale about being unique
Olivia, the stubborn and funny pig, is back in another adorable children’s book. This time, Olivia is tired of everyone wanting to be a fairy princess, even some of the boys. At birthday parties, the school dance recital, and even Halloween, all anyone wants to be is a Fairy Princess. But Olivia wants to stand out and be unique in her own way. As Olivia goes through a list of all the different things she could be, she finally decides somethin
Arlene Allen
Sep 12, 2012 Arlene Allen rated it it was amazing
It's been years since Olivia first took readers by the heart; her exuberance and uniqueness have not lessened or grown stale as many other series characters (sadly) do after a long run. In this volume, Olivia is having an "identity crisis" - she's tired of conformity and does not want to be a princess - unless it's one from India, Thailand, Africa or China (and she's right! there are more options that pink sparkly fairy princesses). Olivia is a true iconoclast - who else would go to the school H ...more
Jess
Aug 30, 2012 Jess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Some picture book series become less inspired as they go on (I'm looking at you, Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes). Others, like Olivia, somehow manage to maintain their brilliance. Or is it just that I sympathize with Olivia a little too much? "If everyone's a princess, then princesses aren't special anymore! Why do they all want to be the same?" Exactly, Olivia. Exactly.

Bonus points for the inclusion of: The Little Match Girl, Martha Graham, non-sparkly princesses, matador pants, corpo
Meridee
Sep 20, 2012 Meridee rated it it was amazing
Run and get this book right now. I mean it, right now! Love, love, love it! Not really for children--I think that it was written just to please me. Just to make me laugh and smile. From the very beginning I was smiling because the dedication reads, "With deepest apologies to Martha Graham." I have always love Olivia but now I am positively mad about her. Please Ian Falconer, more like this!
Jim Erekson
Mar 02, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, picturebooks
This book had such promise! The voice and Olivia's interesting and odd choices were so funny throughout the book. I laughed out loud when she said, 'Just the part where everyone gets eaten.' Then at the end when she made her final decision, it was so anti-climactic I wished Falconer had just put 'the end' after the page about corporate malfeasance--one of my favorite moments this year!
Leigh
Jun 07, 2013 Leigh rated it really liked it
Olivia is a bright, precocious piglet who understands how shallow every little piglet is for wanting to be a princess. I love this story, although I think it appeal to slighter older kids who are not traditionally minded girls. And as usual, the illustrations are hysterical.
Somona San
Dec 13, 2015 Somona San rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, t-l-544
Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (2012-Picture Book)

Very cute story about wanting to be different. I loved the last page!
Ashlee Draper Galyean
Aug 24, 2015 Ashlee Draper Galyean rated it really liked it
Definitely our favorite of the Olivias.
Benjamin
Feb 12, 2017 Benjamin rated it liked it
I've got mixed feelings on the Olivia books. I like the drawings and Olivia's spunky personality, but they tend to be aimed more for parents than kids. Which is refreshing, I guess, except there's other things I'd rather read if storytime was really about me. I think it comes down to the way they don't have much story arc. Things kind of happen, and there are some jokes where Falconer kind of winks over the kids' heads at you, and...

Spoiler ahead.

Then Olivia's mother puts her to bed.

Maybe that's
Miranda Middleton
This book is about a little girl piggy who wants to be different. I love that aspect of this book.

I would use this book to emphasize the points that it's okay to be different from those around you and embrace who you are made to be.
Goodreads Choice ...: Olivia and the Fairy Princesses - August 2013 14 132 Sep 06, 2013 09:45AM
  • Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
  • The Hueys in the New Sweater
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • I Need My Monster
  • Chloe, Instead
Ian Falconer is the author and illustrator of all the titles in the bestselling Olivia series: Olivia, Olivia Saves the Circus,Olivia...and the Missing Toy, and Olivia Forms a Band. His illustrations have also graced many covers of the New Yorker. In addition, he has designed sets and costumes for the New York City Ballet, the San Francisco Opera, and the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden), among o ...more
More about Ian Falconer...

Olivia (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Olivia