Start by marking “Logic to the Rescue” as Want to Read:
Logic to the Rescue

Logic to the Rescue

(Adventures in Reason #1)

Logic to the Rescue is designed to teach kids science and critical thinking. A combination of fiction and non-fiction, it weaves examples of logical fallacies into a fictional sword-and-sorcery fantasy. Simple examples for testing a hypothesis and setting up experiments in chemistry and physics are integrated into the plot.

Who will it appeal to?

Kids ages 10 to 14, though
Published 2008 by Post Hock Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Logic to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Logic to the Rescue

Gina
Aug 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Tedious

As a former debate teacher I thought it would be cool to see logic in story type action. Boy was I mistaken. It's tedious at best then goes from logic to chemistry. I found Nikki to be irritating after the first few chapters. She's a know it all about everything from debate to chemistry to physics. She doesn't come off as a smart kid, rather an irritating know it all.There's no real plot and worse of all it just stops. Not a cliffhanger, just an incomplete rambling. . .yet it includes pre
Lynette Karg
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this introduction to logic but he story was a little forced. The story moved along much better once it moved past the logical fallacies but it also kind of lost its focus.
Roslyn
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book could be so good ... but instead it is soooooooooo bad. I think that is why it has many positive reviews - they are based on potential, not actuality. In actuality this book is a perfect example of the dangers of self-publishing.

Dear Langman, you really have something here. Please get yourself a high quality editor and redo your entire series. Considering your subject matter, please consider Alexander R. Cohen. You could have a hit series (and I mean HIT) if only you could humble your
Arthur Mertens
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is important for children and adults to be capable of critical thinking. It is especially important to me that my children are able to think logically so I read this book first. It is a good introduction to critical thinking. The structure of the book engaged my children and the lessons gave them the foundation to make important decisions about truth by themselves. I am very happy with this book.
Kerry Fine
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! What a great way to discuss logic with youngsters!
Michael Huang
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad at all for a kids book — only up to a point. The book sets up a 14 year old debate team girl in an imaginary kingdom where people routinely fall prey of logical errors, you know, false dilemma etc. These are pretty good as they set up pretty reasonable simplified situations and expose commonly made logical errors. There is some “plot”, but it’s justifiably overly simplistic and really serves the point of making the logical arguments not in an overly abstract way for the kids. This part o ...more
Steven
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
100 page book aiming to introduce a lay person to logic by using storytelling. I can't argue with the effectiveness of this approach.

Each chapter focuses on a specific logical fallacy. Ten Chapters in total. Each chapter, our trio of main characters encounter different townspeople suffering negative consequences as a result of these fallacies. The female imp Athena (yes, there are some restrained fantastical elements here), is the reader's in, asking our leading character, Nikki, the questions
Kristina Mayfield
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~Some Spoilers~

It's a cute fantasy-fiction story with a lesson about logical fallacies and superstitions versus logic, the first in a series. It's geared toward older children in their tweens and teens. At first I thought it was a bit corny (remember it is geared toward, I'd say, 11-13 yr olds maybe) but then grew to love those two little imp characters, especially that rascal Fuzz. It turned out to be entertaining as I refreshed my memory of scientific method, etc.
Dana
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book is a parable designed to introduce junior high and high school students to logical fallacies--but could be used with younger students as well. The simple plot was just enough to keep me interested, and I enjoyed the situations the author created to illustrate each fallacy. This story is a good introduction to the sometimes-dry topic of logical fallacies for any age. The story ends with a bit of a cliff-hanger, announcing the story will be continued in the next book.
Tommy Cummings
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great introductory book discussing logic. Logical fallacies are presented through a storyline. It is probably best suited for preteen or teenage readers. However I also enjoyed the book and I will read it to my son when he is a little older.
Lila007
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I think this book was amazing! It combined logic and fun in a way that is original, and has never been done before. I enjoyed every second of this book!
Nicole
Cute way to look at logic and scientific reasoning. Suitable for pre- and early adolescents.
Ed Shapard
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: logic
Great story that introduces logical fallacies.
Vikas Datta
Wonderful explanation..
Abner Huertas
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb!
A great story for kids, and adults too, about thinking logically.
Monica
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable for a fantasy book, seamless logic! (lol)
Daniel Wroblewski
May 31, 2018
kristy nelson
Dec 28, 2013
  • The Fourth Law
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • The Crimson-Eyed Dragon
  • The Reluctant (Crayder Chronicles #1)
  • claire-obscure
  • PETER AND THE VAMPIRES (Volume One) (PETER AND THE MONSTERS Book 1)
  • The Halo Revelations
  • The Static of the Spheres
  • CK-12 Algebra I - Second Edition, Volume 1 Of 2
  • Reason in the Balance: The Case Against Naturalism in Science, Law Education
  • Retirement Can Be Murder (A Jake Russo Mystery, #1)
  • The Bagman (The Abigail Cobble Trilogy, #1)
  • CK-12 Biology
  • Christmas in Time
  • Dark Reckoning
  • Pay Me in Flesh (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #1)
  • Blood Remembered (Max Sawyer #1)
  • Presentations in Action: 80 Memorable Presentation Lessons from the Masters
Author of the Logic to the Rescue series.

Adventures in Reason (2 books)
  • Castles and Chemistry (Adventures in Reason, #2)
“debate,” 0 likes
“She didn’t care if eel was good for you, as Athena had pointed out.  It was eel.  That was plenty of reason not to eat it.” 0 likes