Start by marking “Reaper Man (Discworld #11)” as Want to Read:
Reaper Man (Discworld #11)

Reaper Man

(Discworld #11)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  72,084 ratings  ·  2,216 reviews
'Death has to happen. That's what bein' alive is all about. You're alive, and then you're dead. It can't just stop happening.'

But it can. And it has. So what happens after death is now less of a philosophical question than a question of actual reality. On the Disc, as here, they need Death. If Death doesn't come for you, then what are you supposed to do in the meantime? Yo
Published May 1st 1992 by Corgi Books (first published May 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Reaper Man, please sign up.
Tim No problem at all. I started my journey into Discworld with The Light Fantastic (book 2), even if it's a direct sequel to The Colour of Magic (book 1)…moreNo problem at all. I started my journey into Discworld with The Light Fantastic (book 2), even if it's a direct sequel to The Colour of Magic (book 1) (you do have to read these books together). After that I read Hogfather, which came out much later.

The other Discworld novels are written so that you can read them without worries and thus go back and forth, even if some characters come back here and there.

So.. yes, you can read Reaper Man without prior knowledge. ;-)

This overview, the last novel not added yet, can also help you find your way in the reading process: https://kokkieh.files.wordpress.com/2...(less)
Tom Brennan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  72,084 ratings  ·  2,216 reviews

Anthony Eaton
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can you not like Death?

HOW, INDEED?

I'm sorry, did someone say something?

NEVER MIND. I'LL ONLY BE HERE A MOMENT.

Oh, okay then. Anyway, as I was...erk...
Jennie
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Probably my favorite of all of the Discworld novels (and that's a hard choice, given my total love of the series). Of all of Pratchett's many quirky characters, I think I love Death the best, though I couldn't begin to tell you why. In this installment, Death gets fired and has to get a day job. In typical Discworld fashion, not everything goes according to plan.

Don't pay attention to the critics' quotes on the front of the book. Anyone who compares Pratchett to Tolkien or Douglas Adams hasn't a
Trish
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Today would have been Sir Terry's 70th birthday.
As some here know, I've put off reading the series because I still tear up when thinking of this great man and the terrible loss his death meant. Especially his books featuring Death as the main character are hard to read because their messages are hitting so close to home. Nevertheless, I agreed to read one book per month and this month, of all possible months, it was this novel's turn.
Sometimes life just loves punching you in the gut.
And yes, I h
Lyn
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1976 Blue Oyster Cult sang Don’t Fear the Reaper. In 1991, Sir Terry Pratchett first published his 11th Discworld novel Reaper Man. The comparison is mine, apparently Pratchett titled the book as a reference to Alex Cox’s 1984 fantasy film starring Emilio Estevez.

So, what happens when our Discworld friend Death is given a timer and … time to spend it? We get this fun book that helps us to revisit Discworld and some of our favorite Pratchett characters like Death, the Unseen Academy staff, Cut
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-shelf, humor
Re-read with buddies!

I suppose it helps that I'm already a lifelong fan of Pratchett, but even objectively, this is a delightful novel about Death's retirement. Sure, he was tricked, but he really needed some time off. Or some time, period.

The magicians were delightful, as usual, and the undead, even more so. This is the zombie apocalypse, Discworld-style, when no one's allowed to die.

It was rather pastoral. :)

I wouldn't say this is my favorite of the Discworld series, but it *does* mark the i
Jasmine
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“No one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away—until the clock wound up winds down, until the wine she made has finished its ferment, until the crop they planted is harvested. The span of someone’s life is only the core of their actual existence.”

— Terry Pratchett (1948-2015).

Thank you, Mr. Pratchett. God speed.
Celise
“No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away...”

"I want more Death" is what I spent most of this book thinking. 60% of this was about Windle Poons and other wizards and I just wasn't into the silly randomness of the problems they were dealing with. The "life force" issues felt too much like the alchemy issues in Moving Pictures, and I just couldn't get into that one.

I wanted to experience more of Death's life on the farm, and his whole side of things. I liked The
Aaron
May 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
If I could steal credit for a book and claim it as my own, Reaper Man would most likely be it. This is the point, I think, where the Discworld novels stopped being entertaining light reading, and really became literature. It's a very subtle shift from the little parodies of science fiction and fantasy conventions of things like The Light Fantastic to the rich satire of a book like Jingo. Behind the story of Death being fired for having developed a personality, there's a clever little parable abo ...more
Emer
Wizards don't believe in gods in the same way that most people don't find it necessary to believe in, say, tables. They know they're there, they know they're there for a purpose, they'd probably agree that they have a place in a well-organised universe, but they wouldn't see the point of believing, of going around saying "O great table, without whom we are as naught." Anyway, either the gods are there whether you believe in them or not, or exist only as a function of the belief, so either way yo
La Mala ✌
Apr 19, 2015 marked it as to-read
Mi hermano me dice que, como fue mi cumpleaños, tiene pensado regalarme libros.
-¡Si!- digo yo, saltando en una pata.
-Haceme una lista de que autores te gustan.
Le hago una lista de casi 20 autores, le marco las prioridades, le anoto los títulos que ya tengo de cada uno y, además, le hago una lista extra de autores , en caso de que, por alguna razón, no hubiera ninguno de los que le marqué en un principio, esos otros funcionarían como opciones "aceptables".

(Era una lista de tres hojas)

Hoy, dos día
Melki
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...it's just that life is a habit that's hard to break...

With Death off gallivanting around, Discworld residents discover that eternal life ain't all it's cracked up to be. Others just want those dead people to GO AWAY ALREADY!

Perhaps a support group is in order?

This entry in the series has EVERYTHING - action, adventure, thrills, chills, and romance, in addition to the usual amount of rampant silliness one has come to expect from Pratchett, who manages to prove once and for all that WORDS CAN H
Kevin
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook, humor
Death plays as the Boot in Monopoly, and once again shows his humanity. Pratchett showed the world that death isn't an ending it's a release especially for the very old, 130 year old wizard Wendel Poons. He shares other wisdom as well, "Inside every living person is a dead person waiting to get out", "Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!"

When death comes and asks if you have any last words, "Yes, I don't want to go."

Death to all tyrants.

Great fun read, now onto Soul Music
David Sarkies
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: comedy
Invasion of the Shopping Centres
6 July 2013

I guess the person that said that the problem with Terry Pratchett is that you have to read him more than once probably applied it to this book in the same way that it had been applied to the other books that I have read and discovered that the second time around I have enjoyed them much more than the first time. Okay, I am probably not going to pick up Moving Pictures again, though this one is definitely one that I should come back to again some time
Pavle
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastika
Na osnovu mog pozamašnog iskustva od cela tri (čitaj: CELA TRI) Pračetova romana, stekao sam utisak da su delovi koji se tiču Smrti dosta slobodniji od recimo (a ne zato što sam samo još taj pročitao; okej, zato što sam samo još taj pročitao) Straže, pre svega u narativnom smislu. Zato mi je i Mort u retrospektivi malčice opao: iako sam se smejao i uživao, ne mogu reći da se baš nečeg posebnog sećam, jer je ipak taj roman pre svega podloga za meditaciju o društvu i životu, ali i za razvitak liko ...more
Kaethe Douglas
1 Jan 2002
6 Jul 2014
13 May 2016

Is there anyone who doesn't love Death? He's one of the greatest characters ever. *** Some days a book on the shelf just happens to catch your eye as you walk past, and you think, "Yes! That is exactly what I want to read today!" So you do. And Death takes a (working) holiday, and life is bursting out all over, and the plot is silly, and the characters are so engaging, and you've read it before, so you know what to expect. And it doesn't matter that I didn't read
Marta Álvarez
3.5. Tiene un arranque muy muy muy muy divertido (sublime incluso), y una sinposis de lo más Pratchett: la Muerte tiene más personalidad de la que la Muerte debería tener jamás, así que la apartan de su trabajo. El problema es que, sin un sustituto a la altura, la vida chorrea por todas partes: los objetos inanimados se vuelven locos, los muertos están vivos, el abono del jardín te ataca de manera teorrífica... ¿Quién no querría saber cómo termina todo esto?
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this whilst running and all the wonderful insightful thoughts I'd had about it over the past few weeks escape me as I sit exhausted yet happy. Reaper Man is the second novel that focuses on Death. This time he has been shorn of his anthropomorphic designation and sentenced to a short life on the Disc as punishment for becoming too individual. Those pesky Auditors make their Discworld debut (as do a whole raft of wonderfully fun creations including many new species in Reg Shoe's Fre ...more
Vivian
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Alas, a 2o18 challenge book that missed the deadline. Nonetheless, it was charming and funny. After all, what could be more amusing than death coming for Death? Great pokes at academia and a rather sweet little ending. That said, I was less than fond of the rotating story structure because just as I had settled into one thread I'd be tossed into one of the other two. Frustrating and definitely affected my overall enjoyment.
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group. I have no idea how many times I've read this book, as it's one of my favorites in the series and a comfort read for me. I think I last read this about five years ago, and my first was soon after it was first published.

The Auditors of reality have decided that Death should not have a personality and have decided to retire the incumbent. This results in an unemployed 7' tall skeleton with a magnificent white horse and a brand new lif
Ümit Mutlu
Haftalık market alışverişlerinin, çarşı-pazar gezmelerinin, internet sitelerinde pantolon-tişört bakmanın ya da başka bin bir türlü tüketim eyleminin getirdiği azabı hissediyor musunuz? Devasa bir alışveriş merkezinin cazibesinin yarattığı çekim gücünün, hiçlikleri bile yutan bir karadeliğin çekim gücüne eş değer olduğunu biliyor musunuz? Hafta sonlarında akın akın AVM’lere akan insanları görüp hüzünleniyor musunuz? O halde bırakın artık hüzünlenmeyi ve Tırpanlı Adam’ı okuyun.

Tırpanlı Adam, Disk
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
4.5
'Inside Every Living Person is a Dead Person Waiting to Get Out...'
Death is one of my favourite Discworld characters and Reaper Man is the second book in the Death novels. I prefer reading in general Discworld reading order though. Still, whether you read these books like I do, or you choose to read them as separate novels about Rincewind, or Death, or witches and so on, you will have lots of fun.

Death gets fired. Or something like that anyway. Instead of mopping around feeling sorry for
Daniel Jacobs
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masterpiece
Upon hearing the tragic news today, I have realized I have not added this book or written a review of it, and I feel truly bad about that.

If someone were to ask me which of Terry Pratchett's book is my favorite, I wouldn't hesitate. All of his books are works of art, but among them, this one stands out like a true masterpiece to me. I think this is the first book he wrote that has actually made me cry both in laughter and in sadness. It is the only one of his books that I have re-read so many ti
Bill Door
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EEEEEE!!!! This is one of my favorite Discworld books, it’s been in my top 5 Discworld books for a long time now, and I only seem to like it more every time I read it.

The Auditors of Reality are displeased that Death is starting to develop a “personality”. They are convinced that once one develops a personality, that personality must at some point come to an end – that’s the way individuals worked. In their opinion, only forces endure, it’s the way of things, Gravity having a sense of humor or c
Max
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one a lot! The Death series is a lot more fun than I first thought. Here are some funny quotes:

"Yo!" said the Dean.

"Yo what?" said Ridcully.

"It's not a yo what, it's just a yo," said the Senior Wrangler, behind him. "It's a general street greeting and affirmative with convivial military ingroup and masculine bonding-ritual overtones."

"What? What? Like 'jolly good'?" said Ridcully.

"I suppose so," said the Senior Wrangler, reluctantly.

And they continue to yo all the way through the ch
Allison Hurd
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, man-author
Another fun installment. I think this was an abridged version, but it was entertaining, with some sweet moments and lots of humor. I'm not doing my usual review right now, I read this to answer a question for SFFBC.
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
He's done it again.

My favourite of all of the Discworld novels.

Death is a fascinating character, and seeing his strain of humanity just makes him all the more so.

Reaper Man is HILARIOUS. Death is so awkward, so unsure of himself in the realm of the living. And when your time is running out, you want to experience everything life has to offer. And when you've never lived, maybe the basics ARE the most important parts of life.
Linda
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audio
The first of the Discworld books I've listened to the audiobook of, narrated by Nigel Planer, and it was excellent! I'll now hear Death's voice in my head as voiced by Planer when Death appears in the upcoming books I happen to read in print.
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, High Fantasy fans, Comedy fans, Douglas Adams fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: previous books
Dear Pretties,

So I'm starting new healthy exercises; after my surgeries 3 years ago. Pratchett has inspired me to get back into shape with his wit and humor. Using the Google Fit and 30 day Challenge apps. The work out regime is Full Body, Abs, Butt, Arms workout, and 2 mile walks.
Day 1: My body is screaming...
pain gif photo: That HURTS Thathurts.gif
Day 2: Exercise says to me...
hurt gif photo: mortoscrubs_zps1e715344.gif
Day 3: I say to exercise...
hurt gif photo: tiodio1_zpsf60daaba.gif
Day 4: It's a rest day. Color me surprised, and my husband is now going to join in.
happy gif photo: gif Evangelon dance3.gif
Day 5: and I've came across the librarian of
TheBookSmugglers
Original review posted on The Book Smugglers

Reaper Man is a book that I find really hard to define. It would be so easy to simply describe it as a hilarious – or even absurdist – romp about the chaos that ensues after Death is (forcibly) retired without an immediate replacement to take over his duties. There are wizards running around, there are snow globes that pop out of nowhere then hatch into EVIL shopping trolleys (!!), a bunch of previously-undead people (including a vampire and a boogeyma
B. Barceló
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Este segundo libro de la saga de la Muerte me encanta, lo recomiendo a todo el mundo y seguramente lo vuelva a leer dentro de no mucho tiempo, pero me deja con un sabor agridulce.
Hay que decir que los personajes del Mundodisco son estupendos, todos y cada uno de ellos. No hay dos iguales y lo que me enamora de ellos es que no es necesario que hablen muchas veces. Por ejemplo, la Muerte de las Ratas o el Bibliotecario, no dicen "nada", pero se comprende perfectamente lo que está diciendo o suced
Around the Year i...: Reaper Man (Discworld 11), by Terry Pratchett 1 10 Oct 01, 2018 01:58PM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count 9780062237354 2 21 Mar 29, 2016 08:50PM
Can Reaper Man be my first Discworld novel? 21 225 Dec 24, 2014 10:47PM
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Book of Ultimate Truths
  • In Your Dreams (J. W. Wells & Co., #2)
  • Legends
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Terry Pratchett
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” 2963 likes
“Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.” 2332 likes