Start by marking “HTML5 for Web Designers” as Want to Read:
HTML5 for Web Designers

HTML5 for Web Designers

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  2,503 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
HTML5 is the longest HTML specification ever written. It is also the most powerful, and in some ways, the most confusing. What do accessible, content-focused standards-based web designers and front-end developers need to know? And how can we harness the power of HTML5 in today’s browsers?

In this brilliant and entertaining user’s guide, Jeremy Keith cuts to the chase, with
Published May 4th 2010 by A Book Apart

Graham Herrli
How often do you laugh out loud while reading about coding standards?
(a) All the time!
(b) Exceedingly rarely, but I'd like to.
(c) Never. I hate laughter.

If you answered a, I'm afraid of you. Please keep away.
If you answered c, I'm afraid for you. Come here; you need a hug.
Otherwise, this book's for you. Jeremy Keith presents a history of the evolution of HTML5 in a terse, satiric tone that makes this book a must-read for anyone hoping to gain a greater familiarity with HTML5.

The book is the f
Nitya
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had pre-ordered this book and received it yesterday - it took me just over an hour (the duration of my commute into NYC) to zip through it. Based on this, my quick review.

The book is a slim 86 pages. Given the amount of detail in the HTML5 spec, this may seem lightweight. And in fact the author does spend the first 2 (of only 6) chapters discussing the history and process behind the creation of this spec - which further unsettled me. BUT.... once you get to Chap 3 (Rich Media) through 6 (Web F
Zlatan
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really don't want to be a party pooper, but I must say that I learned more about HTML5 by reading a couple of blog articles on the subject here and there. The only new things I actually learned is that the anchor element can now act as a block-level element, some new form features, the function of the "scoped" attribute, and the new content models.

I would suggest you to save your money, and instead find some online sources on HTML5, or just read Mark Pilgrim's free e-book that covers the same
Eugene Kravtsov
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-development, html
Nice primer on HTML5 for those already familiar with previous implementations of hypertext mark-up specs. This is not a tome of thorough reference, nor an introduction for beginners (author lists several resources in the end of the book for those seeking either). This small book (under 90 pages) is designed for experienced developers interested in basic information on what adoption of a new standard would mean for them.

Author starts with brief history of mark-up languages, starting with SGML up
Stephanie
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. It doesn't attempt to teach you HTML from scratch. It's intended for people who've been working with HTML for a long time and just need to know what has changed in HTML5. It's concise, readable, and informative. Best of all, it's funny. Jeremy Keith writes about web design with obvious affection, even when it's exasperating: "Internet Explorer has special needs." "It would be inaccurate to say [the XHTML 2 spec] was going nowhere fast. It was going nowhere very, very sl ...more
Wessam Khalil
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer
I did not spend a lot of time reading this book as it is a very short book. By reading this book, I have revised some of my information regarding HTML5 and its history.

If you are about to read this book, be informed that this book will not teach you how to write HTML mark-ups, and it will not teach you how to write CSS. It will not introduce you to the whole web design world.

This book will give you information around HTML5 history and specification. It is a light reading for experienced web des
Caitlin (Ayashi)
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: web designers, web developers
Shelves: web-development
Great fast read for someone who wants a quick history and briefing of what the state is of HTML5 today. Good place to look for tips to start to use HTML5 now, too! After finishing the book, I'm pretty excited to give a simple HTML5 website a shot :)
Ben Babcock
I am very excited for HTML5. My experience with web design began in March 2004. I was young(er than I am now), and I decided to make a personal website on GeoCities. It was a gaudy affair that reflected my lack of design skills and made use of notorious elements like . In the years that followed, I learned about web standards and accessibility. Now my websites still reflect a lack of design skills, but at least they're accessible! So I'm happy that HTML5's specifications are being developed with ...more
Nasser Salah
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: web-programming
it kind of disappointed me. it's theoretical book but not a practical, not as i expected.
he explain some certain staff in a detailed way, lije like the HTML history.. but when he reached the third chapter he rushed the whole staff quickly, like he's remembering you the script but not to teaching.. maybe this book is not for someone starting web development. i won't recommended this book to newcomers.
Fabrício Silva
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
A good introductory book about HTML5.
Grant Baker
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little dated at this point (that's the nature of books on tech) but still an excellent book that encapsulates the purpose of the A Book Apart series—short, descriptive, pragmatic.
Chad Warner
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this very short HTML5 primer too shallow. It barely scratches the surface of HTML5, but I suppose that was the intent. I enjoyed the fact that it describes the creation of HTML5 in more detail than other HTML5 books I've read. Keith’s writing style is entertaining, and I laughed out loud a few times. Overall, I preferred Introducing HTML5 (my review) and Teach Yourself Visually HTML5 (my review).

HTML5 Design Principles
• "Support existing content" and "Do not reinvent the wheel": be back
Jeff Porter
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful introduction to the power and the pitfalls embedded in HTML5. The historical synopsis of HTML5 and its predecessors is both succinct and enlightening, and possibly one of the funniest I’ve read.
While Keith expertly handles where to get started, he’s also quick to point out where to get off. Some aspects of HTML5 are not for every browser. Yet. Some still have hoops to jump through ‘in committee’ and others require fallbacks, which are also covered in light detail.
Beyond the interesting
Matt
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
HTML5! The latest and greatest specification! Some browsers support some of the specification some of the time. Others are slow to adopt anything. And it's huge! HTML5 is almost a complete re-vamp of the HTML specification. It's purpose is to simplify markup to better represent how the web is actually used. But it's still in flux, and gargantuan besides. How can we possibly start using HTML5 right now?

Such is the question that Jeremy Keith answers in "HTML5 for Web Designers". In it, Jeremy intr
Andrew
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first eBook that I've read cover-to-cover. The publishers say that they want the books to be short enough to digest on a plane flight from New York to Chicago. (More on their innovative publishing model here.) Their claim holds up. I plowed through this on my iPad before even getting out of bed for coffee one morning. When I was done, I understood all the important elements of HTML5 that distinguish it from previous web standards. But more than that, I was entertained. Keith is a sma ...more
David Hall
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had previously read 'Introducing HTML5 by Bruce Lawson, so I knew the main details and issues surrounding HTML5 implementation. When I heard Jeremy Keith was writing a book, I was excited, as I found him to be an incredibly engaging writer.

This book is a quick breakdown of the most important features of HTML5. What it isn't, is a thorough reference guide.

It is a great introduction for beginners, as it is brief and concise. I'm not entirely sure how much advanced HTML5 users will get out of it,
Corey Vilhauer
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excerpt from "What I've Been Reading - HTML5 for Web Designers."

"As a Web guy whose exposure to HTML and CSS has come exclusively from the routine hacking of free WordPress templates, HTML5 for Web Designers dives into the subject at my level - highlighting the changes and features of code that could change how the Web is organized and developed. Even better, it does so in a way that's akin to the 'spreading the gospel' model of Web talk - 100% devoted to letting the reader understand the code.

D
Rebecca
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Picking up a coding book, I'm always afraid that I'll hit of boring brick wall of sleep-inducing description and instruction that is impossible to follow. Not only is this book highly readable, and in fact even entertaining, but it also is easy to understand and retain the material. It starts with a background on the birth of HTML5, and uses this description of its history and the philosophy behind it to help explain what HTML5 is doing and why. Along the way it includes suggestions and commenta ...more
Loren
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-design
"HTML5 For Web Designers" by Jeremy Keith was the first book published by A Book Apart and does a good job at setting the tone for this series of useful books from the folks behind A List Apart. Jeremy does a good job at touching on key information such as obsolete tags, accessibility concerns, form enhancements, and semantics. What I was hoping for more of, was how to best begin using HTML5 today. There's a small section at the end of the book called "Using HTML5 Today", but it didn't provide m ...more
Muhammed Mustafa
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
After reading Jon Ducket's HTML & CSS book, I felt to get more into HTML5 (and css3) to discover more about its tags and features. I decided to read this book. The book was to the point, it had some humor in it.... unfortunately some I couldn't get. There were some moments where I got confused regarding the phrases and terminologies. Some examples (specially in chapter 5) weren't detailed enough to clarify the concepts which also led me to confusions.

This book is useful if you are already ha
G. Jason
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really decent, quick overview on what's to come with html5. (Finished it in about 2 hours) Covers much of the basics and what we can and cannot do so far. Billed under A Book Apart, "Brief Books for people who make websites.", this book is exactly that. Enough information to et your feet wet and ready to jump in to learn more.

This is also one of the first books on html5 to make it to the market as well.

Nicely designed, however a big quark that drives me a bit bonkers is the spine on the book.
Nancy Frishberg
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've read most of this book, and can comment that
a) the content is very accessible to non-programmers, though
b) knowing something about markup languages in general and the state of the world prior to HTML5 would be helpful
c) the content is largely about reassuring web designers that HTML5 is our friend, and that it simplifies a lot of things by "paving the cowpaths" - and making smart defaults for various tags.

This is not a comprehensive reference guide, nor is it a "learn to write HTML5 in 2
Francois Versepuy
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is perfect if you want to know everything about the new HTML5 tags. It is clear, concise. The strict necessary is here, no blabla.
I also liked the introduction about the history of HTML norms.
Humour is often present in the book, and I have to say that I liked to see humour in a technical subject.
Also be aware that this book presents HTML5 tags ONLY, you will not read a single line about the previous tags (HTML4) nor considerations about block and inline elements or whatever. This is st
Trey Piepmeier
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Well worth a read, and it's quite easy to finish in a sitting.

While some of the descriptions of the semantics of past and future tags had me talking to the book out loud in a mild rage (That's what semantics are for, right? Rage?), I think we can all agree that this book is the easiest way to get up-to-date with the current state of the hottest technology on the web. I feel like I now understand (or will once I continue to reference my sticky-note arrows) the new structural (and "sectional") tag
Dgilz
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Il a un format "livre de poche", mais il a tout d'un grand !
Les informations sont précises et pratiques. Certe, il se limite aux balises HTML5 propres à la mise en forme de pages web, mais il n'y a pas tromperie car c'est annoncé dans le titre. Si j'avais encore des doutes sur l'utilisation de l'HTML5, ils ont été balayés en 2 jours de lecture.
J'ai apprécié l'historique de HTML, et l'humour de Jeremy Keith (assez bien traduit, même si ça tombe un peu à plat en français)
A la lecture de ce livre,
Vladimir Milojevic
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Very good quick read about HTML5.

The most important things I learned:
- You can't look at HTML5 as a markup language. It's a very powerful technology built for Internet Applications.
- It's very simple, powerful and extensible at the same time.
- Content meaning and Accessibility are so important because HTML pages are not used only by browsers, but other software also; Screen Readers, Google bots, etc.
- Native HTML5 forms are so powerful. Browsers are falling behind.

HTML5 has bright feature, and
Janet Jang
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
so readable with a wonderful sense of humor: "After HTML 4.01, the next revision to the language was called XHTML 1.0. The X stood for “eXtreme” and web developers were required to cross their arms in an X shape when speaking the letter. No, not really. The X stood for “eXtensible” and arm crossing was entirely optional." - chapter 1

Even though some parts about javascript API and the new element went a bit over my head (i'm not a web designer by trade), the writing was clear and informative.
David Salcedo
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: web-design, html5
«HTML is the worst form of markup except all the others that have been tried.»

El capítulo clave es el que trata sobre la semántica del HTML5 (quinto capítulo) y nos invita a aprovechar sus nuevos elementos estructurales. Aunque algunos de esos elementos, como article y section, sean tan similares que la interpretación personal se torne aún necesaria al momento de usarlos. De todos modos, hay que enfocarse en organizar el contenido correctamente con el apoyo semántico del lenguaje. Y finalmente,
Brian Jones
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A quick overview of the development of web markup standards provides the perfect context for this guide's goal to draw designers into the HTML5 mindset. Too little of the spec is currently supported by browsers so far to make an exhaustive reference (which this is not) of much use to most if not all designers. However, Keith gives examples of the new markup becoming available and explains its motivating principles in order to help designers start thinking in HTML5 in preparation for the transiti ...more
Wayne
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good overview of HTML5. It seemed pretty light, only dipping in here and there. I'd have like to give it 3.5 stars, but that isn't possible.

My main complaint with it is that while lots of concepts and example HTML were given, the results of the HTML often weren't. Sure, the meter and progress elements sound useful, but what do they actually *do*? (Yes, I know a book can't show how some things work, but plenty of them can be shown.)

I do think this book was good and worth reading
  • CSS3 For Web Designers
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement
  • The Zen of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »