Start by marking “Eclipse Four: New Science Fiction and Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Eclipse Four: New Science Fiction and Fantasy

Eclipse Four: New Science Fiction and Fantasy

(Eclipse #4)

To observe an eclipse is to witness a rare and unusual event. Under darkened skies the sun becomes a negative image of itself, its corona transforming the landscape into a strange space where anything might happen, and any story may be true...

In the spirit of classic science fiction anthologies such as Universe, Orbit, and Starlight, master anthologist Jonathan Strahan (Th
Published May 1st 2011 by Night Shade Books (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Eclipse Four, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eclipse Four

Start your review of Eclipse Four: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
While I liked some stories more than others, I would say that the quality of stories in this anthology was very high. It contains an eclectic mix: two or three are what I might describe as hard science fiction, and then there are a whole bunch of ghostly/afterlifely stories. Jeffrey Ford channels Jonathan Carroll (who isn't dead, but seems open to channeling if anybody is). Caitlin Kiernan turns in an elegant story about a black hole. Nalo Hopkinson writes about the great shopping mall in the s ...more
Wealhtheow
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
A collection of sf and fantasy stories.

Andy Duncan's "Slow as a Bullet": told in a sort of pseudo nineteenth century Western style, this is the story of how one lazy man developed gun powder that shot bullets incredibly slowly in order to win a bet.

Caitlin Kiernan's "Tidal Forces": a black hole forms in a woman's stomach and grows ever larger. Weird concept told in a disjointed style, but it works.

Damien Broderick's "The Beancounter's Cat": Starts well (a talking cat adopts a lowly beancounter)
Anthony Panegyres
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A varied selection that would accommodate most readers of speculative fiction in some way or another (although I’ve heard that Jonathan Strahan is not a fan of the ‘spec-fic’ term).

Nalo Hopkinson’s “Old Habits” is a superb piece (a real standout) dealing with humanity and the ghostly afterlife in perhaps the most tackiest of places: a shopping mall. Hopkinson's syntax ,including a superb lengthy stream of consciousness sentence, is masterful. The protagonist, a homosexual ghost, who more import
Scott
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
This collection of science fiction and fantasy leans heavily toward the latter, and even most of the SF is of the soft or fanciful sort. It also goes heavy on the humor or at least whimsy. In short, a very lightweight selection. About two thirds of them are decent enough, but more than a few failed to hold my attention. One was completely incoherent.

Here are some of the stories I felt were worthwhile:

"The Man in Grey" by Michael Swanwick: A teen-aged girl slips behind the curtain of reality to d
Cathy Green
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eclipse Four is part of the series of non-themed science fiction and fantasy anthologies expertly edited (or perhaps curated is a better word choice) by Jonathan Strahan and published by Night Shade Books. This fourth volume in the series contains fourteen excellent stories by Andy Duncan; Caitlin R. Kiernan; Damien Broderick; Kij Johnson; Michael Swanwick; Nalo Hopkinson; Gwyneth Jones; Rachel Swirsky; Eileen Gunn; Jeffrey Ford; Emma Bull; Peter M. Ball; Jo Walton; and James Patrick Kelley. Str ...more
Peter Tillman
Nov 28, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: short-fiction
I checked out the ebook from Hoopla, read a few and then it came due. Have it out again. Wealtheow's review is the go-to here. Also see Sarah's.

More reviews:
TOC: https://jonathanstrahan.wordpress.com...

Highlights:
** “The Beancounter’s Cat”, Damien Broderick
* “The Man in Grey”, Michael Swanwick

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.

Though I'm unsure on the theme of the anthology in general, most stories within were capturing enough.
Robin Kirk
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A number of these stories were good, but none really rocked my world. Either the setting or central conflict seemed tired or too far-fetched (not really supported by the material, kind of a gee whiz look at me vibe) . A great short story needs to be its own universe, direct, complete and satisfying in some emotional way.
Kirstyn McDermott
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A varied and very enjoyable anthology, with some truly standout stories by Caitlin R Kiernan, Kij Johnson and Nalo Hopkinson.

For an in depth discussion of Eclipse 4, please listen to my podcast, The Writer and the Critic, episode 9.
Meghan
Kij Johnson's story is amazing, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for (and didn't really find) in the Interfictions anthologies. Nothing else in the collection stood out as particularly great or terrible.
John Devenny
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it

A mixed bag containing some very good stories eg the ones by Kij Johndon, Michael Swanwick and Andy Duncan as well as a few disappointing ones. Overall worth reading but not all consistently good
David Marshall
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent unthemed anthology, edited by Jonathan Strahan who has contrived to pack the volume with thought-provoking stories rather than routine SF and fantasy stories.

Ben Krutko
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Normally, I would give this four stars. Well put together, well edited, however some of the stories were weaker than others and the collection comes across as uneven in quality and assembly.
Neil Ottenstein
Oct 02, 2012 is currently reading it
Just read a few of the stories, but it is an interesting collection
DebbieB
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Each story a gem.
Ron
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Skimmed the stories. I really borrowed the book to read Emma Bull's Nine Oracles story.
David
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Not the best collection, though there were a few compelling stories in it.
Todd
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
some very good, some average, some very bad
Alexander Case
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
As with any anthology, this is a mixed bag. Some of the stories are really, really good, but others are more iffy. There wasn't anything I particularly hated though.
Thom
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: anth-coll
Like most collections of short stories, some were better than others. My favorite of this collection was The Man in Grey by Michael Swanwick.
Ian Mond