Start by marking “Slayers - The Ruby Eye (Slayers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slayers - The Ruby Eye (Slayers, #1)

Slayers - The Ruby Eye (Slayers #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  407 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Lina Inverse doesn't like to brag, but she's a genius sorceress, invincible warrior, and a legend in her own lunchtime. Lina's also in need of some cold cash. When she comes across some stolen loot, she figures the thieves won't mind sharing. But it turns out that Lina also snags a secret hidden in the booty... And now everyone's out to see if she's got the goods!
Published September 7th 2004 by Tokyopop (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Slayers - The Ruby Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slayers - The Ruby Eye

The Crimson Fucker
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
How can one describe the awesomeness of Lina Inverse to a bunch of book snobs?? (let’s face it, if you reading this you are in my GR friend’s list… if you in my friend list you are a book snob… don’t be lying to yourself! You are!) how can one explain to this snobs that a book don’t need to be a literary master piece to be highly entertaining? That a writer don’t need a deep, complicated plot to be great. That sometimes one need to entertain stupid things like “what would happen if I cast a heal ...more
Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts)
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-a-m
Super cute lil novel that follows sorceress Lina on her adventure to find treasure and discover her "true self". Lina's a snarky lil thing with a knack for getting into trouble which leads her to meet Gourry, her new guardian! Gourry is a bit older and a swordsman that feels Lina is too young and weak to be able to survive on her own, so it's his mission to protect her.

In this portion of the story, Lina and Gourry are treasure hunting books and materials that could lead them to an even bigger s
Helenn
Well this is going to be a bit bias since I love the books, the anime and you just wait until I get my hands on the manga and the magazine version. Anyways the book is full of sarcastic remarks and unexpected comments that are just plainly hilarious. Hajime Kanzaka doesn’t beat around the points with his joke; he gets right to the point which makes it even funnier.

If you have seen the anime and wonder how Lina’s sister is then this books will be perfect for you. They fill you in with small part
Kathleen Townsend
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, light-novel
Review originally found on Looking Glass Reads.

Slayers: The Ruby Eye is the first book in the Slayers series by Hajime Kanzaka. Originally published in Japan in 1996, the translation was published eight years later in 2004 by Tokyopop. The story is centered on fifteen year old sorceress Lina Inverse and her newfound traveling companion Gourry Gabriev, a swordsman. A simple plundering of a bandit’s hideout for some loot has unforeseen and far reaching consequences for Lina, including a whole lot
Maya
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: series-ongoing
I really wanted this to be a 4 star read, but something simply was missing to move it from “liked” to “really liked”.

Lina is a cool heroine. Despite being only 15 years old, she is a super strong magician and a reasonable swordsman, yet she is not invincible. She is also not innocent, she has killed people on her journey. And she loves food. So far, so good. Lina’s voice is mostly snarky and funny. At no time does this book take itself very seriously. Unfortunately her narration was pretty hit-a
Zuichiki
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
La novela está en inglés. Con un nivel medio, pierdes los detalles, pero si eres seguidor del anime, sabes exactamente qué hacen en cada momento. El humor típico de Slayers está presente y es muy divertido. Si sabes inglés, son novelas ligeras muy recomendables. O si eres seguidor del anime con un nivel de inglés medio, tendrás algun dato nuevo que no te dan en la serie.
Kereesa
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kereesa by: Nic
Written in the manga novel style, this first volume in the Slayers series is a comedic magic medieval adventure. Following our spunky heroine, Lina as she 'accidently' comes into possession of a very powerful magical item and thus the consequences that come with it, The Ruby Eye is a delightful mix of laughter and magical mayhem. The characters, especially Lina, are well done and we are provided with just enough detail to get a feel for their character and still be able to expect much more devel ...more
Mileena
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Slayers the Ruby Eye
3.5/5 stars

Lina Inverse is something else. She is wacky and sassy and everything that a strong badass female lead should be. I originally picked up this book expecting it to be a manga, because that's what it looked like but when realizing that it's a novel, I decided to give it a try. Lina was awesome and I loved the sorceress aspect of her. Gourry was an interesting male protagonist and his relationship with Lina was really cute.

It was really short and exciting and kind of
Rose Corcoran
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is exactly my cup of tea! Not only is Lina one of the most realistic 15-year-old female protagonists I've ever read, the narration moves easily between action scenes, dialogue, and backstory (which a lot YA 1st person POV struggles with). I also have a burning need in my life for humorous fantasy, and this book totally delivered.
Kim
Oct 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I sort of liked this,but I found it confusing at for some of the time. I must admit that I was reading this under the influence of seasonal alergies and I was pretty much out of it yesterday. That being said, I would like to see the anime that this inspired. Evidently, this came first, then the anime which I guess is sort of unusual.
Arthur
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Still my favorite characterization of a world-wandering sorceress of all time. It astounds me that such a short novel became the anime series that it did. Simple, light, witty, amusing, and full of character.
Ariel Sidfield
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Completely and totally awesome. The setting is great, Lina has great descriptions of her magic use, and is totally awesome. The story has humor, action, memorable characters and engaging narration. It also was translated impressively well to English.
Tor Gar
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Leída la versión en castellano de Eterno Poder

La novela que dio origen al manga y a la serie de dibujos animados. Entretenida, divertida y recordando a alguno de los personajes y para saber cómo comenzó todo. Es muy similar al anime aunque varían algunas tramas.
Amanda Huber
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
The TV series is much better than the manga surprisingly and not all of the manga have been published in English anyway--not that it appears that they will be published in English anytime soon, so watch the series!
Jason
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
This is the first light novel I've read, and it was more entertaining than I was expecting. The translation was, I suspect, a little loose, but good overall. The hefty amount of nostalgia I have for the show helped, of course.
Jane Lebak
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's hardly literature, but a lot of fun. The ending wrapped up a bit too quick, but I don't really care. I dove right into the second book.

BTW, I love Lina's voice. She's perfect as a fifteen-year-old with far too much confidence and not enough experience to know when enough is enough.
James Strocel
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's easy to see why this novel series was adapted into anime. It has a unique voice that you just don't anywhere in high fantasy literature!
Anthonia
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lina Inverse is something else if she is not killing bandits, then she is trying to make more money, and she is always stealing gold from the bad guys. A must read manga
Valerie
Dec 15, 2015
Lyra
May 21, 2012
Stephen Eklund
rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2016
Andrew Hash
Aug 10, 2017
  • Zaregoto 1: Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 02
  • Into the Blue (Full Metal Panic! #3)
  • Gosick: The Novel (Gosick, #1)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #2)
  • Crest of the Stars 1: Princess of the Empire (Seikai no Monshou, #1)
  • .hack // AI Buster (AI Buster, #1)
  • Kieli, Volume 2: White Wake on the Sand
  • Book Girl and the Wayfarer's Lamentation (light novel)
  • Boogiepop And Others
  • Dragon Sword and Wind Child (Tales of the Magatama, #1)
  • Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Hajime Kanzaka (神坂一) is a japanese novelist and manga writer.
More about Hajime Kanzaka...

Slayers (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Sorcerer of Atlas (Slayers, #2)
  • The Ghost of Sairaag (Slayers, #3)
  • The Battle of Saillune (Slayers, #4)
  • The Silver Beast (Slayers, #5)
  • Vezendi's Shadow (Slayers, #6)
  • Gaav's Challenge (Slayers, #7)
  • King of the City of Ghosts (Slayers, #8)
  • ベゼルドの妖剣 (Slayers, #9)
  • ソラリアの謀略 (Slayers, #10)
  • クリムゾンの妄執 (Slayers, #11)

“Boobs are overrated, if you ask me.” 2 likes
“I shouldn't have complained, right? I mean, doesn't every girl want a handsome rescuer to sweep in when she's in a pinch? So what if she could've handled the whole thing on her own and the handsome rescuer in question didn't have the verbal acuity she was hoping for? A gal can't afford to be too picky these days, can she?” 1 likes