Start by marking “Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman

(Flying Dutchman #1)

A boy and dog trapped aboard the Flying Dutchman, are sent off on an eternal journey by an avenging angel, roaming the earth throughout the centuries in search of those in need. Their travels lead them to Chapelvale, a sleepy nineteenth century village whose existence is at stake. Only by discovering the buried secrets and solving the dust-laden riddles of the ancient ...more
Published March 31st 2003 by Firebird (first published 2001)

Start your review of Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)
Josiah
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brian Jacques is renowned for his long-running Redwall series of books, but fifteen years after the first installment, he authored an unrelated trilogy, centered on the maritime legend of the Flying Dutchman. A story populated by humans rather than animals, set in our world rather than a fantasy realm, Castaways of the Flying Dutchman follows a mute boy and his dog who (mostly) escape the curse that befalls Captain Philip Vanderdecken and the tormented crew of his ship in the year 1620. The boy ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 31, 2010 rated it liked it
This book averages out to three stars. I give five starts to the parts actually set on the Flying Dutchman. Brian Jacques' descriptions of shipboard life in the 1600s are both thrilling and terrifying. He's obviously done his research and the book's first few chapters made me want to rush out to the library and grab more books in a similar vein. (Patrick O'Brian's novels are much higher on my to-read list as a result of reading this book.)

I wish I could give five stars to the rest of the novel,
Faith
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ava
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Surprisingly, Ben didn't actually spend much time on the Flying Dutchman. And the captain was not Davy Jones like in the Pirates of the Caribbean, he was Vanderdecken, who I have never heard of. Brian Jacques is a great, descriptive writer. If you like riddles, animals, ships or sweet old ladies, this book is for you. And it was kind of religious... I wasn't expecting that. But again, I loved it.
Rebecca McNutt
What a brilliantly imaginative novel! This fantasy adventure starts of simple enough, just a boy and his dog traveling - but it quickly builds up into something spectacular. If you're a fantasy fan this is definitely worth it.
Megan
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
A mute teenage boy runs away from his abusive stepfather and ends up aboard the Flying Dutchman as a galley boy. The captain and his crew are all evil and greedy men, and when the captain curses God after failing to conquer the seas, an angel descends and curses the ship and the crew to forever sail the seas as an evil undead symbol of God’s wrath for sinners. The boy and his dog are thrown overboard and rescued by the same angel who makes them ageless beings, destined to roam the earth forever, ...more
Claire
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Read it for A challenge. Enjoyed it, but would never pick it myself. So out of the comfort zone.Nice book. An easy read too. But not something special.
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
Yeah. It was a book

Lol.
Bill Rush
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful story.... Brian Jacques is a wonderful storyteller!
Carrie-Anne Thomas
This series is what started my love for stories about immortals.
Piepie
I loved Brian Jacques when I was a kid. In my opinion, this is one of his best non-Redwall books, and I think it's definitely the best out of this trilogy.

This book is in three parts, and firstly Ned and Ben's story of origin is presented. You can't help but feel sorry for the poor, mute boy -- Ben -- at the beginning of the book. It's not long before this orphan finds a friend in Ned, a stray Labrador, and destiny has plans for these two, including being accidental stowaways on a pirate ship.
Grace
Dec 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed with this book. My friend had told me about it and it sounded really cool so I got it. I'd never really been into Redwall (the very popular series by this author), but this book is very different than those, so I decided to give it a try, unfortunately it only served to remind me of all the reasons I had never finished a Redwall book.

The story is about a boy and his dog, two unfortunate beings unwillingly taken onto the Flying Dutchman(pre-curse). They are mistreated but
Ahdom
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had planned on reading this book after discovering it in a book store. I got it on a book swap website, after my discovery. I usually wait until summer months to read my nautical books, but I wanted a good one to take on my trip to the Caribbean. I had read Redwall by Jacques, and I love books about piracy and sailing, so I knew this would be up my alley. However, after reading it I found out that it wasn’t at all what I expected. I expected a book that took place on the sea, but what I got ...more
Sara Parker
I'm not as blown away by this book as I was by the Redwall series. Maybe it's because I'm reading it as an adult, but maybe it's just not as good.

I was expecting more ocean, more sailing, more boats. That lasted for approximately the first quarter. Then we hit land. It was fine until Ben and Ned moved to Chapelvale. The story grew dull. I mean, treasure hunts are supposed to be exciting, but I got bored. I didn't see the point, either. Ben and Company were trying to find a deed of ownership to
Lee
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dreamday
Kamile
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really think this book is enlightning.This book is about a boy named Neb who was found on a ship of the flying dutchman and the dutch thinks he is dead.You will find out if he is dead or not:)Also he is on a long journey. This book takes place in 1620 when pirates were alive.Neb will meet new people on the way.The rest of the book is you to read.

The book is very awesome! :) I like how the vocabulary is different from other books i HAVE READ:) I also i love the writing style it is veary
Mimi
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book a few times, but not recently.
I think it's completely delightful and a fun read. When I first read it I liked the boy and his dog angle, that they could actually communicate with each other in a way other people couldn't hear. I think if I read it now I'd read it differently, but I don't think I'd like it less.
It seems a little bit random almost, from the beginning "how they got this way" part, and then going to the "this is the main story" part, but I still enjoyed it.
I
Amanda
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not bad, not bad at all. Definitely a little strange--and was that a cliffhanger ending?--but interesting and good overall. Especially the characters, those were well done. The whole idea with the angel and the eternity was the strange part, but it wasn't too strange for me to deal with so we're good.

Favorite line of the whole book was probably the very beginning where the cook named the boy:

“Hey, Jamil, what you call a boy with no name?” “Nebuchadnezzar.” "Nebu-what?" "Nebuchadnezzar. It's from
Megan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I gave this book three stars because it's not *bad*, but my enjoyment level was more like two. I was mostly disappointed that the seafaring theme was quickly dropped; the legendary cursed Dutch ship serves only as exposition for the series. At first I thought that the protagonists (a young boy and a dog) would pop in at different locales to bring otherworldly wisdom à la Le Petit Prince, but they stick in one scenario that bored me pretty quickly. Ok for younger kids, but I just couldn't find ...more
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute blast! Brian Jacques is known best for his Redwall series but I stumbled across this book in a thrift shop in England a few years ago and snatched it up. I finally got around to reading it and I'm so glad that I did. The writing is delightful. It's an extremely imaginative and adventurous tale. Clean, thrilling, good fun. Highly recommended.
Jennifer Mcfarlane
Mar 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
After reading Redwall and thoroughly enjoying it, I thought this would be a good read from a good author. Instead, I was greatly disappointed. The writing was overly predictable and the storyline dragged slowly and never resolved in an original way. If you want to read a good book by this author, read Redwall--avoid this one.
Elevetha
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
3 1\2 stars. I really like how you could empathize with Ben. He was a relate-able likable character. Some of the dialogue felt a little strained and trying to hard to be funny. I very much liked the idea and the characters.
Johnny
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
In addition to enjoying the opera based on the subject, I’ve always been fascinated by the legend of the “Flying Dutchman.” I’ve appropriated ideas from the legend for role-playing campaigns and novels, as well as recently picking up Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques. Although the book is clearly targeted to the younger side of the Young Adult market, I rather enjoyed the juvenile freshness of a tale which juxtaposes the curse on an evil man (or men) with a blessing which some ...more
Philippa Dowding
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
With apologies to Mr. Jacques ... this book was all over the place.

It started out well, though. The first part of this book--the Flying Dutchman part--was really great. It was actually quite terrifying, and life on board the ship was gripping and scary (and wet, and salty, and nausea-inducing).

But it's only the first quarter of the book. After Neb and Den fall overboard and wash ashore, Jacques really lost me. I wanted more than just two time-travel stories, 280 years apart. I was really
Travis Berketa
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought Castaways of the Flying Dutchman was going to be a book about pirates and I've enjoyed Brian Jacques' Redwall series, so I figured it would be a great book; however this was not a story about pirates, as such, it was more about a boy and his dog... but none less enjoyable!

Jacques weaves a fabulous tale about survival (to begin with), as a mute boy dubbed "Neb" finds himself running away from an abusive step-family and into an equally abusive crew of pirates aboard the feared Flying
Lisa
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
What a find! I expect to be teaching in a middle school classroom next year and have been searching for books to keep in a 'classroom library'. Totally by coincidence I found this book on a 'leave one take one' shelf and picked it up. While in the middle of reading it, I reached into the bag of audiobooks I keep in the car (I pick them up for $2 at my library when they are taken out of circulation) and grabbed Rakkety Tam, of the Redwall series by Mr. Jacques. As much as I enjoyed Castaways, I ...more
Gino
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love this book! I once got grounded in eighth grade for getting in trouble at school , so my dad took away my TV he took away my PlayStation and he said you’re not going nowhere this weekend and I had this book in my backpack for about six months before that. I was never into reading so it sat. Since I had nothing to do, I picked up the book thinking I might as well read it. and I read the whole thing in two days and it was my favorite book for a long time this book got me into ...more
Sarah Jackson
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite of Brian Jacques but still a wonderful read! Written in a very read-out-loud style, I was expecting much more swashbuckling but I wasn't overly disappointed by the land bound treasure hunt that makes up the second half of this book.

Essentially, this is a story about an immortal boy and his dog commanded to help those in need through the ages by an angel. But this is also a whale of a tale with talking dogs, blundering bad guys, centuries old lost treasure, and the fate of an
Jake Van Hoorn
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
First 50 pages had great potential that the rest of the book didn’t live up to. I’m not sure why 250 pages were spent discussing lost deeds to small towns but it did not make for interesting reading. We are told over and over that Ben and Ned had had multiple adventures since leaving the Flying Dutchman and I would have been much more interested in reading a collection of these adventures rather than the story contained in this book.
Ben Seamons
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book follows Neb./Ben a boy who cant talk and his dog Den/Ned the big black Labrador. It takes place at sea on the flying Dutchman and then the second part is on land and has there first adventure as they help people. This book is during the time what people are sailing across the sea and there are pirets and stuff. Ned doesn't start on the boat soon after it starts he will go to the book. This is a good book to read if you like to read about seafaring adventures.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Thief Lord
  • The Raging Fires (Merlin #3)
  • Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2)
  • The Landry News
  • Half-Moon Investigations
  • Ruby Holler
  • King of Shadows
  • Stowaway
  • Labyrinth of Ice: The Triumphant and Tragic Greely Polar Expedition
  • Changes (The Dresden Files, #12)
  • The Memory of Midnight
  • Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • I Am Morgan le Fay
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
  • The Lost Years (Merlin #1)
  • The Book of Dreams (Demon Princes, #5)
  • Goose Chase
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St.

Flying Dutchman (3 books)
  • The Angel's Command (Flying Dutchman, #2)
  • Voyage of Slaves (Flying Dutchman, #3)