Start by marking “Elixir (Elixir, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elixir (Elixir, #1)

Elixir (Elixir #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  12,383 Ratings  ·  1,672 Reviews
Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. The daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington DC politician, she has grown to be a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world. But after Clea’s father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, Clea’s photos begin to ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

Morgan F
I'm warning you now. This is more of a rant than a cohesive, intelligent review. It will be filled with spoilers and un-ladylike language, so people of delicate sensibilities take heed.

I like Hilary Duff. I grew up with her in Lizzie Maguire, and even rocked the Lizzie hairstyle for a while. I think she has grown into a nice young starlet as opposed to, well, this

I was curious about this book after seeing her name on it. I was interested. How much of it did Hilary actually write? Did she just
Lora
Dec 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Lora by: no one - luckily for them

Stay far, far away from this book. It does terrible things to you.
shady boots | #20gayteen
Let me start off by saying that I actually like Hilary, and when I found out that she wrote a YA book, I was excited.

Little did I know this was going to be nothing but a rip-off.

As I was reading this book, I realized that the similarities with Evermore were painfully obvious. Girl meets boy, girl finds out boy is immortal and has been with her in past lives, girl dies horribly every time, girl has a friend that's in love with her and jealous of the boy, boy had a past love interest that apparent
Shianne
Feb 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Bahaha, Hilary Duff wrote a book. And it was … not very good. Shocking!

I feel like these YA paranormal fantasy books are all the same. Nothing new ever happens! Recycled plots, with different names & different paranormal abilities! There is one boring vapid girl who is best friends with a great guy but then meets a tall, dark & mysterious stranger. Boring Vapid Girl falls instantly, madly, passionately in love with Tall Dark Mysterious Guy, while Great Best Friend Guy turns into a jealou
Sierra
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
When you think of Hilary Duff, you automatically think 'Lizzie McGuire', right? So, it's probably weird for you to think that she's written a book--well, at least, I did.
Elixir was captivating, and not anything that I'd imagine Hilary Duff could write. I'm not dissing her, but it's just that I thought this would be some stupid story about a snobby-rich girl. True, the main character, Clea, was rich, but I didn't get the sense that she was snobby at all.
She was a pretty cool protagonist, and
Merary
What do you think when you hear the name Hilary Duff? Do you think of Disney's show Lizzie McGuire and/or her other movies? Or do you think of her 4 released albums, with her catchy songs and small, yet pretty voice?
What about her novel?

*record scratch*

What? Did I just say that Hilary Duff is an author? Sadly, it is true. Hilary Duff wrote a novel and her book Elixir is now a New York Times Best Seller.
Cue the disbelief.

When my Drama class teacher started reading the first two pages at loud, I
Penny
Jun 09, 2010 marked it as to-read
Wait. You mean the Hilary Duff? As in, Lizzie McGuire? As in, the younger sister of that horsey-faced girl who plays Summer Wheatly in Napoleon Dynamite? That Hilary Duff??? She writes books? Since when? Now this I have to see for myself (why the crap not, amirite???)
Picture  Perfect
Feb 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Dumb Airheads who don't care about writing at all.
Azn_seddie
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
*EDIT* I really loved it!! The plot is definitely well-written and put together. Hilary truly had a great sense of her characters and where she wanted to story to go. I guess you could say the first chapter is a bit wordy but it's descriptive/detailed/vivid enough for the reader to imagine the scene and get to know the characters. After that, the pacing is pretty good. I'm definitely liking the dynamic between Clea and her best friends, Rayna and Ben. In a perilous situation, Clea totally lets y ...more
Daria
Dec 07, 2010
Reading Teen
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
When I first picked this book up, I laughed.
Because I really could not believe that Hilary Duff had written a YA book.
I grew up being a huge fan of Lizzie Mcguire and loving Hilary's CD's through my
pre-teen years.
So I thought, "What the heck. I'll read it."
I found myself being completely surprised with how good it was.
I was expecting something a little like:
"Well there is like, a tree.
And it's like, purple.
There are like, purple leaves on this like, tree."
The book was nothing like that.
It was ac
Jenna
Jan 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, mystery
Yes, I read the Hilary Duff novel. Because Hilary Duff is awesome, that's why. If you don't believe me, please see "The Lizzie McGuire Movie" for further proof.

I was very impressed with the story that Duff wove, and I devoured it like candy. Riveting right up until the end, then the abrupt/cliff-hanger type ending left me flat. I had hoped this was going to be a stand-alone book -- even if it is the first in a series.

And, yes, I'll read the next book when it comes out. Because Duff is actually a
Teresa
Sep 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody - I envy them
Recommended to Teresa by: Self - I had a moment of insanity
Let me tell you a common story we see everyday in YA fiction.

She is seventeen. He is about 500 years old.

When she sees him in her photos, she believes him to be a semi-stalker/ cold-blooded killer dead set on bringing her to her grave.

Five minutes after meeting him, she teams up with him to find her father, putting her safety in his hands...ALL THE WHILE STILL EXTREMELY SUSPICIOUS ABOUT HIS TRUE MOTIVES.

A day later, she literally decides to ditch her geeky, supportive best friend whom she's know
~Tina~
Seventeen year old, around the world photojournalist, Clea Raymond still misses and wonders what happened to her father who disappeared a year ago in Rio. Many things happen at once when Clea discovers an image of a man in one of her photos and then that same mysterious man lives in her dreams. Clea and her best friend Ben go to Rio and in hopes to uncover the truth about what really happen to her father and how it ties in with a man that she's always seemed to know deep in her soul...

I've alway
Lore
Hilary Duff wrote this book. I was sceptical to say the least(see the pre-reading bit for more info), and now I've read it, just to see if it was as bad as people say.

Okay, so I just finnished this book late last night. Needless to say, it was just plain odd. I didn't like it in the slightest really.

It gets half a satr for plot and half a star for making me laugh, albeit unintentionally.

The Plot: You know this one already. Clea is a cribbabe-playing, tea-obsessed, iris neckalce waering, photo
Ariel
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accidentally picked this book up today.. AND FINISHED IT. OH YES.
Also, really enjoyed it! You can only read a book that fast if you are actually liking it, and I definitely did! I wouldn't say it was one of my favourite books, and even though I'm giving it 4 stars it's actually somewhere around 3.5.. but let's give it the benefit of the doubt!I might change my mind in a few days once I really think about it, but it was fun and intriguing :)

Video review of it should be up in December! :)
Krystle
Aug 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
I don’t know why I do this to myself; it’s like asking yourself to be bitchslapped over and over again. This book made me furious. Absolutely furious.

Clea is just stupid as hell, and if I found any person in real life like her, I’d stay far the heck away. Seriously. You know if you found a guy who showed up EVERYWHERE you went, appeared in all your pictures, and somehow you can feel his presence/see his shadow in places you go to, wouldn’t you be FREAKED the fuck out? Like holy shit, there’s som
Connie
Jun 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011-reads
'Hilary Duff wrote a book?!' That was the reaction most people had when they realized what I was reading. To be honest, my reaction was the same when I first found out she was writing a YA novel. But when I read the summary, I was pleasantly surprised. It actually sounded promising. After finishing it though, I had problems with the execution of the plot and the characters.

One, Clea's background. Okay, so she's the daughter of a famous surgeon and a politician that has felt the spotlight her wh
Ezmirelda
Oct 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Elixir by Hillary Duff Book Review

parafantasy.blogpsot.com

Originality-
I liked the aspect of it being about immortality, but I felt like I’ve read something like it before. Like Evermore by Allison Noel.
3/5

Characters-
I thought Clea was an okay protagonist. It was interesting to follow her side of the story but then again, I couldn’t really connect with her.
I loved the other minor characters though—like Clea’s best friend. I loved her!
4/5

Dialogue-
The dialogue was great. I really connected wit
Tricia
Nov 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
The people giving this book good reviews really couldn't have read the same book I did!

OK, here are some spoilers...AKA my problems with this story.
-Clea's dad is missing, and has been declared dead. She's looking for him, and thinks maybe he's still alive. Nothing happens on this topic.
-Clea finds that in the pictures she takes there's a strange man, always in the same clothes, always in the background, never seen or noticed in real life. We later find out he's her soul-mate, and not actually
I am finally writing a review for this book.

I have had this book for a really long time.. I had only bought it because Hilary Duff was the author.. I didn't expect much from it, I didn't think I would like it; but I was wrong.

This book was so interesting.. It's definitely different from anything I've read. The whole Elixir thing was so cool, and intriguing. Each chapter was different and so much happened in each chapter. The whole story is just fast paced and so many things happen. I really like
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, mystery, magic(??), attraction, insta-love.

Nooooo.

It started off so well. SO WELL.

But by the end it was just OK.

Gutted. I really did love the start, but by the time they went to Rio it was a lost cause.
Danny
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, you were reluctant to pick up this book because it was written by Hilary Duff? I can totally see your point, actually this was one of my first reactions about this book. But, audible offered the first chapter from the audiobook for free and I thought I just give it try and see if I might like it.

Well, after listening to the first chapter I had to know how this story continues and I bought the whole audiobook. It was also helpful that I really liked the voice from the narrator.

The story has
Taylor
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys teen romance with a fantasy, adventure spice to them.
Shelves: teen, teen-romnace
If the rating was based solely on plot, I would have given this book 5 stars. Unfortunately for Hilary Duff, there is more that goes into writing, a book cannot stand only on plot.

The first chapter was unbearable to read. The author in me picked apart and scrutinized every word. Some times I wish I wasn't so critical, and this was one of those times. Each sentence started with the word "I". As my friend so bluntly put it, it was a poorly written first person. I struggled to be open minded and c
Jennette
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg i haven't read a book this good in sooooooooo long!!! I adored it.i was so excited after years of wanting to read it i got lucky enough to find this at salvation army i basically ran to my mom screaming saying mom look the book from Hilary duff i wanted for ages!!any way this story was brilliant beyond belief!!!! The writting style is so charming making you want to keep reading in one sitting which is what I did!!! Get the book you wont be disappointed!! Now to get the next two books and fal ...more
QiJia 치쟈
You read right
Hilary Duff wrote a book!!!

SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

read
*eyes watering *
read.......
*zzzzzzzZZZZZZZ*

I'm pretty lenient in rating books. But this is stretching too far

Boring, cliche and gosh I couldn't stand the writing!

DEFINITELY won't be reading the second book.

Hilary Duff should stick to singing or acting than writing books.
Enough said.
Nicole Pramik
May 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Part of what interested me in this novel was actually Duff’s name on the cover. After all, what could something written by former Disney pop princess Hillary Duff be like? Plus I got it half-price at a bookstore liquidation sale, so you can't beat that!I honestly was expecting a train wreck but what I got was a relatively smooth journey though the accommodations left much to be desired. The plot itself wasn’t bad and moves from being a quasi-mystery tale to a generic love story. I do agree with ...more
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Clea Raymond, a talented young photojournalist who has spent her life in the spotlight, and her best friends Rayna and Ben travel the globe trying to unravel a centuries-old mystery that could reveal her soulmate's identity and the secret of her father's disappearance.

My first reaction to hear that Hilary Duff wrote a book was surprise and delight! I love the girl! She is fun, elegant and has led a great life so of course she is going to be creative as a writer with many adventures and travels.
Julia Yard
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
I picked this book up for the reasons the publisher would expect one to pick it up: pretty cover, slightly interesting premise, and hey, is does that say Hilary Duff? She writes? So I read it. Upon finishing this book , my first thought was: well, that was quick. My next? That was really bad. The story is cliche and overdone (Mary Sue main character, creepy paranormal stalker soul-mate, love triangle...) and the writing was utterly terrible. Though the book was a quick read, there were chapters ...more
Amy
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
All About YA : Elixir 6 15 Sep 20, 2014 04:42AM
The Cover Model... 4 49 Nov 22, 2013 08:06PM
  • Yours 2 Keep
  • Dear Maggie
  • All About Seduction
  • My So Called Death (Dead High, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • Dark Moon (Wereling, #2)
  • Priceless
  • The Book of Spells (Private, #0.5)
  • Bound to You
  • The World of Alice (Alice, #1-4)
  • Jinxed!
  • Down to Earth
  • Goat Girls (Weetzie Bat, #2-3)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • A Vampire for Christmas (Includes: Sweetblood, #2.5)
  • Modelland
  • Blown Away (Storm Front, #1)
Hilary Erhard Duff is an American actress, pop singer-songwriter and entrepreneur. After gaining fame for playing the title role in the television show Lizzie McGuire, Duff went on to have a film career; her most commercially successful movies include Cheaper by the Dozen (2003), The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003), and A Cinderella Story (2004).

Duff has expanded her repertoire into pop music, with fo
More about Hilary Duff

Elixir (3 books)
  • Devoted (Elixir, #2)
  • True (Elixir, #3)
“In dreams, and in love, there are no impossibilities.” 135 likes
“Who are you?" I asked.
"You know who I am," he replied. "I'm yours."

~Clea / Sage, pg. 105”