Start by marking “Reckless” as Want to Read:
Reckless

Reckless

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  5,568 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
Reckless--Phoebe Layton had always imagined Gabriel Banner a brave and valiant knight, which was why she went to him when she was in desperate need of help. but when she lures her shining knight to a lonely midnight rendezvous, Phoebe finds herself sparring with a dangerously desirable man who is nothing like the hero of her dreams. She fears she's made a dreadful mistake ...more
Published May 25th 2010 by Bantam (first published November 1992)

Obsidian
Yes! I am finally done with my reads of some of Amanda Quick's earlier works (from the 90s). I think I hit peak over this two days ago though. I can't wait to move onto some other authors. This is the same set-up of most of Quick's earlier books. Quirky Original in her mid-20s who is in danger of "staying on the shelf" and an older male who knows he should not be attracted to said female, but is, and then denies he is falling in love with her for most of the book.

The heroine for this book is Pho
Katy
May 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Maybe my worst enemy.
Ugh. This book made me so ANGRY. Livid, in fact. The kind of angry that makes me want to destroy furniture, maybe hulk smash something. Or both.

I'm going to admit right off the bat that this book contains my least favorite romance trope. The good ol' revenge plot. If I'd known, I wouldn't have read it. I've never been a fan and honestly, I have no idea why it's even a thing. I find nothing romantic about it in the least. I just don't get it. "I'm a terrible person bent on doing something terri
Pamela Shropshire
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have long been a fan of Amanda Quick, the pseudonym under which Jayne Ann Krentz writes her historical romances. This is one of her earliest ones, long before she delved into the paranormal elements of the Arcane Society and even before the Vanza novels, in which the heroes have been trained in a secret philosophy/martial arts in the Far East. Even in her earliest novels, her unique voice is present. While it is true that her books have become rather formulaic over time, I applaud that she has ...more
DA4Pups
I read this one many years ago and found it on sale recently. I love Amanda Quick (aka Jayne Ann Krentz) - I've read most of her books. This was an enjoyable trip down memory lane but not my favorite. It was a little too formulaic in character to receive higher than 3 stars.
Zoe
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few Amanda Quick good oldies that I have no intention of re-reading.

Don't get me wrong, this book has all the Amanda Quick signature charms. Formulaic but well-written. Not to be missed if you have read and liked Quick's romance novels.

In this story Phoebe Layton is the reckless heroine who dreamed of chilvary and gallant knights. Her prince on the white horse was Gabriel Banner, who once eloped with Phoebe's sister. They met again when Phoebe was 24 and tried to engage Gabr
Ira
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 stars.

The storyline rather silly especially after Dangerous.
Too comical for my taste but interesting enough to finished.
Maybe because the chemistry between H and h is very strong.
No matter how they behave, you know they deeply devoted in each other.

Currently I'm doing Amanda Quick's books marathon, hah!:)
Blue Eyed Vixen
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any romance junkie with a sense of midnight adventure.
Recommended to Blue Eyed Vixen by: Stumbled across
True confession - I think I've become a historical romance junkie.
Perhaps I have a corset-wrapped heart. I keep returning to these books and think Amanda Quick is one of my favorite.
I found the characters quirky and likeable.
Ruth
I remember reading these when I was in high school and loving them so much. Twenty plus years later and it still made me grin like a loon.
Flea
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chumchum_88
It was yet another great book by Amanda Quick, it contained love, adventure and mystery. I have to say that I loved it, it was humorous, and in a way different, the heroine could be counted as a different type of usual blue stocking, one who is in to literature.

I loved the main couple, Phoebe was the humorous element in the story, her antics and adventures was what made me smile most of the time, especially her family's and her husband's reaction to it, specifically the scene when he had a bet w
Sue
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, amanda-quick
I like that both main characters like to collect old books of medieval literature. The adventure and mystery kept me intrigued. The character's chemistry is hot.
Jeanne
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Would have liked it more if the heroine wasn't occasionally idiotic. Yes, I understand she's supposed to be headstrong and impulsive, but she ought to have enough sense not to take everything at face value. And then, at other times, she clearly sees what's going on. I guess that's the way it is in real life, too, but I would have preferred a little more consistency.

Phoebe is the reckless one in the story. A girl of twenty-four, she maintains an idealistic view of a man who tried to help her sist
Melissa Levine
So I finished this book and found it to be pretty good. A couple things that I noticed though:

1. It seems in the other books by Amanda Quick, which are basically the same as this one, that the sex scenes are normally longer than what they were in Reckless. I consider this strange because after the first time Phoebe and Wylde have sex, it's disappointing to Phoebe and Wylde goes on about how the next time it will be a lot better. But when next time comes, the fact they're about to have sex is men
Babita Tariyal
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me pursue romantic novels!!
I have never been a fan of romance, much less an exceedingly carnal one like this, but something clicked here. Amanda quick is particularly commendable at projecting the passions, and intensity that flows between the lead characters here. I enjoyed the sketching of both their characters,and even loved the free spirits of lady Phoebe(except when she bordered on being delusional!)
there were patches hard to overlook, like the lame excuse of phoebe arranging
Maricar
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second time around reading her novels. The heroine, Phoebe Layton, she is very independent, witty and smart. I like her. Not the typical heroine in that era. Phoebe doesn't restrict herself in the things she believed in. Gabriel Banner is the typical and usual hero, revenge is his driving force to accept Phoebe's proposition to help her in solving the mysterious death of her friend/suitor Neil Baxter (Gabriel's mortal enemy). I like the drama and mystery of it, fast-pacing story.
Highly reco
Linda Hurst
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic

Classic Quick which holds up very well. I have read this many times over the years and I found myself enjoying it just as much in 2015.

Pheobe and Gabriel are wonderful protagonists and I love revisiting them whenever I am in the mood for some dependable comfort read.

Angelie
it's very good :) i like it much ♥ phoebe is so reckless... hehe that's why she's vey fitted to gabriel :) i also like the family of phoebe. they are involved. so nice. haha. i had a great time reading this :) im loving ms. amanda quick ♥
Kasandra See
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny on the way the lady behaved. Like the storyline.
Emily Sarcos
Nov 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, rc2015
Finally!
Instead of Reckless Quick should've call this book "Stupid" because that's what Phoebe is, and Gabriel is not that charming either, seriously none of the characters are likeable.
JoAnn
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Amanda Quick's writing and have read most of her books.
Indah Threez Lestari
282nd - 2011

Suka deh... hero dan heroine-nya sama-sama kolektor buku...
Hero-nya juga pengarang dan heroine-nya ternyata editor dan publishernya...

Catherine
I managed to slip this gloriously trashy novel into the last week of my school holiday reading. Quick is always entertaining; much tongue-in-cheek, bodice busting romance.
Knewmyer
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-library, 2016
Such a fun and happy book with a delightful heroine. I have to be in the mood (ahem), but when I am, these Amanda Quick books hit the spot.
Mary
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Another sweet read. The main female character started getting on my nerves a bit but all in all, cute.
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-on-kindle, 2017
The serious issues around consent (sex is always instigated by the hero, in every instance apart from maybe one, without the heroine's consent or even acquiescence) and control (the hero constantly seeks to control the heroine's actions, without thought to her feelings or desires) just ruined every aspect of this one for me. It just sucked.

If that wasn't enough, the plot was all over the show. Here are some plot lines that would work (some of them...sort of) for me as a romance novel:
- Hero and
Lori
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites

If you like spunky, intelligent, brave heroines, and heroes who can match wits with them, you will enjoy this story.
Phoebe is not your usual heroine. She has a weak leg, and pronounced limp. The one man who didn't care about her disability, (even waltzing with her), is dead, supposedly killed by pirates.
Even though she called him her Lancelot, he was just a friend. She knew she could never return his feelings. Phoebe blames herself for his death. She believes he went to the S
Sylvia
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
nurmawati
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, hr, mystery
sebelom lupa tulis ripiu ^^

kali ini cerutanya ttg lady phoebe yg reckless (seperti judulnya) yg meminta bantuan gabriel buat mencari pembunuh neil baxter, suitor yg di bunuh pirate...
gabriel ini tipe yg sinis gara2 8 tahun yg lalu dia menolong kakak phoebe,meredith yg bakal dinikahin sama lord something (lupa namanya ;p)...berniat kawin lari kw gretna green dgn meredith....tapi keburu dikejar oleh ayah dan kakak phoebe/meredith..
8 thn yg lalu phoebe masih kecil..sekitar 16 atau 17 tahunan...tapi
Jen
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ebook: 272 pgs

Phoebe Layton's love of everything medieval, especially manuscripts, finds her meeting with Gabriel Banner on a moonlit night...

two very opposite people, trying to find common ground with compromise.

I found the relationship between the two main characters to be more fascinating than the plot. Phoebe is impulsive while Gabriel is reserved.

Quick, fun, fluff read.
Carina Hilbert
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters grew on me.

While the plot was fairly easy to anticipate while reading, it's the characters that made me keep reading. The two main characters are not as fully developed as I would like, but they are fun to read and very plausible.
  • Perfect Partners
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...
“I have no husband, sir. Nor am I eager to acquire one. From my observation, husbands tend to limit a woman’s adventures.” 0 likes
“Now, what could be more important than a frivolous romance?” 0 likes