Start by marking “Timetrap” as Want to Read:
Timetrap

Timetrap

(Star Trek: The Original Series #40)

Book
Mass Market Paperback, 221 pages
Published June 1st 1988 by Pocket Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Timetrap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Timetrap

Mark
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
David Dvorkin's novel is one that hinges heavily on its premise of James Kirk being suddenly transported into a future in which a friendlier group of "New Klingons" have achieved the Organian-prophesied peace with the Federation. Unfortunately the story's twist is easily predictable, and too much of the plot hinges on a James Kirk who is far more credulous than one would expect his character to be in his circumstances. It's unfortunate, too, as Dvorkin's novel contains elements that, in the hand ...more
Jerry
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A different sort of Star Trek novel...but a great one!
Robert Fenske
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
My issue with the book is that there is no action until the last fifty pages of the book, the first half all being setup that I found rather tough to find enjoyable. The setup does serve a purpose though, it's meant to trick the reader and prepare them for the big surprise at the end.

But perhaps the biggest problem with this story is that the Kirk we're presented isn't one of action. Most of this book was a love story between him and a Klingon where they simply walk around a ship. It is only wit
Kristine Hansen
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I'd call this a 3.5 stars to be honest.

OK, it's a Star Trek novel. Given what we're basing this on, my expectations weren't real high. I expected campy. I expect that Kirk would fall in love (again), and I expected some science that would sound shaky at best.

And yep, I got all that.

On the other hand, I also got an entertaining read, a cross species romance that even I didn't see coming, an entire conspiracy theory (and oh, I do love a good conspiracy theory) and a deeper look into Spock's charac
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Take the TNG episode "Future Imperfect"...now take it back a century in Kirk's time, but make the mystery a bit more dangerous, and the writing a bit more fun. It isn't a perfect novel...and you can see the climax coming from a mile away...but it's certainly more satisfying than "Future Imperfect".
Kieran McAndrew
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During a failed attempt to rescue Klingon officers during an ion storm, Captain Kirk is lost. He finds himself one hundred years in the future, a hero of both the Federation and their greatest allies, the Klingon Empire.

As an architect of this Great Peace, Kirk is asked to return to his own time to facilitate the Klingon mission to Earth.

Dvorkin's mystery is fairly weak, but the adventure makes up for the shortcomings and the story holds up well enough for repeated readings.
Mindy Shuman
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this was the first Star Trek novel I ever bought. I loved it and read it multiple times. May have to read it again and see if it holds up more than 20 years later. I suspect it will. though.
Matt
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The premise of Timetrap by David Dvorkin is a slight of hand that the reader falls for from the experience of James Kirk, who himself falls for the Klingon deception. The Enterprise encounters a Klingon Bird-of-Prey in Federation territory near the Tholian space, Kirk beams over in an attempt to grab a Klingon for questioning only for the ship to disappear as the result of an interstellar storm that also affects the Enterprise. Kirk waits up among Klingons supposedly 100 years in the future duri ...more
Mike Crate
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
A distress call from the vicinity of Tholian space has the Enterprise warping to the rescue, they find a Klingon cruiser caught in a spatial storm which is ripping the ship apart and they refuse the offer of assistance from the Starfleet vessel. Kirk and a security party beam over equipped with some state of the art transponders but once on the bridge of the Klingon warship the storm intensifies and when Kirk awakes his is in the future in a galaxy where the Federation and Klingon Empire are at ...more
Wayne Highsmith
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad. The take on Klingon Culture was interesting. You have to take into account that this is pre-TNG Klingon Backstory. Its off on that. But I for one liked the take he gave on it. Woulda been interesting to see TNG follow that model for the Klingons. The Klingon homeworld is called Klinzhai in this novel. Which is different from established canon. (Qo'Nos) But again. That was before that was actually canonized. Klinzhai still sounds better than "Kling". What TNG was originally calling their ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Captain Kirk wakes up in his future where the Federation is in peace with the Klingons. Or does he? David Dvorkin has written an engaging political thriller with surprisingly epic proportions. He moves the story forward well, with a dynamic, well-flowing style. The plot isn't nearly as good as the form, however, with the reader being constantly ahead of the characters who really don't act- and most importantly think and deduce- the way they should. An entertaining read nonetheless.
J.D.
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek
Just no! I know it's drugs, I know Kirk is hurt and all, BUT him being "oh, I won't see Spock and McCoy and Enterprise anymore, but that's ok I have a new life now with a KLINGONS" is just sickly WRONG. He is not this stupid... better skip this one.
Melissa Krcatovich
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Another spin off of "City on The Edge of Forever" (Season 1 Episode 28). While I did enjoy the usual snappy dialouge and seeing the old gang in action, this plot was so slow moving I had trouble finishing it.
Andrew
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Just another of a batch of Star Trek books I picked up from a charity shop,it was an OK premise and a quick read.
Cheryl
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Y'know what, I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit. I like Dvorkin's insights, his pov, on the characters. Nothing to add to other reviews, sorry.
Nicolas
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I had the chance to interview David about this and his other work. Find it here: https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/ep...
David Melik
I read this and a few other ST books before ST:TNG. I do not remember much about the book, but I liked it.
Melanie
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I almost got mad but hey I wasn't being patient. I had a few chuckles at familiar interactions between our beloved stars. This wasn't too bad after all.
Daniel Krueger
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this when I was a teen and still enjoy it today.
Travis
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Like so many of the early Trek books it isn't horrible, but it isn't terribly memorable either.
The time travel bit was interesting enough and I give it points for trying something a bit different.
Erwin Beker
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
you think it is a normal time travel but be prepared it is not. Good book for the weekend or train/bus.
Dustin
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well played author, well played.
Andrew Little
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Wanted to try a Star Trek book for some time and it was exactly how I expected. It was a fun and easy read.
Fernanda Martins
As a good trekkie I couldn't miss this one. It's good but the author - IMHO - didn't pick up the characters of Kirk and McCoy very well.
Gareth D.
  • Sanctuary
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Double, Double
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • The Three-Minute Universe
  • Shell Game
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • Ghost-Walker
  • Web of the Romulans (Star Trek: The Original Series #10)
  • Mudd in Your Eye
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • Ice Trap

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit (Star Trek: The Original Series #3)
  • The Covenant of the Crown (Star Trek: The Original Series #4)
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle (Star Trek: The Original Series #9)
  • Web of the Romulans (Star Trek: The Original Series #10)