Start by marking “Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18)” as Want to Read:
Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18)

Q-In-Law

(Star Trek: The Next Generation #18)

When two powerful rival families of the spacefaring merchant race called the Tizarin are to be joined through marriage, the U.S.S. Enterprise is chosen as the site for the wedding. Though Captain Picard is pleased by the happy duty, his pleasure is cut short by the arrival of the Federation delegate from Betazed: Lwaxan Troi - the mother of ship's counsellor, Deanna Troi.

Mass Market Paperback, 252 pages
Published October 1991 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Q-In-Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Q-In-Law

Start your review of Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18)
Wart Hill
Aug 28, 2015 marked it as gave-up
this book is exceedingly disappointing and I am so done.
Jersy
Incredibly funny and total shipping fuel.
I listened to the abridged audio book and I absolutely recommend to listen to the stellar performances of John de Lancie and Majel Barrett.
The story itself wasn't that great. It was more like a fanfic than a novel and I didn't really care for the Romeo and Juliet aspect. However, it was so much fun anyway. Lwaxana Troi and Q were kind of believable and it was a joy to listen to their flirting. I had quite a lot laugh out loud moments and who didn't always
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
As a farcical romantic comedy, it certainly has its moments...and it definitely had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion. But compared to many of his other "Star Trek" novels, I found his characterization of the TNG crew to be somewhat...off. They don't shine as authentically as they did in books such as "Vendetta" or "Strike Zone", apart from Worf (who gets many of the best lines) and Wesley (who actually gets the best sub-plot of the novel). Aside from that, the Romeo & Juliet ...more
Rusty
When I started my big Star Trek rewatch project over the summer I decided to go ahead and read a bunch of the books too. I still have a small stack waiting for me when I feel the time is right. However, I've mostly reread books I'd already read back in the 90's. I wanted to read something beyond what I'd already experienced so I googled 'best TNG novels' or something similar and I was bombarded with lists. This one actually appeared more than once.

I have to confess that I was already a bit put
Emily
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun and very humorous light read.
If you haven't yet, I'd suggest watching an episode with Lwaxanna and one with Q before reading this book, though, or it might be a bit confusing.
Bradley
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am not a rabid Trekkie fan but I seriously enjoy every story that features Q. This story is light-hearted and very fun. A very enjoyable read that I should have put on the top of my read pile.
Krysti
Jan 29, 2019 added it
Q has always annoyed me. Lwaxana has always annoyed me. Troi has always annoyed me. BUT NOT IN THIS BOOK!! This was such a fun read! And the ending!! I actually hooted and hollered!!
Joshua Rotella
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is not my first Peter David novel. But it's the first one that I read that made me realize that Star Trek books not only didn't have to be serious, but could actually be better than the show.

This is a book that SHOULD, really SHOULD have been made into an episode. Or a Movie. It's that fun.

If you're a fan of the Next Generation, you should be hooked with these three words: Lwaxana Meets Q. It's what everyone wanted to happen, everyone was waiting for it to happen, and it never happened
Karin

You should not read this book.

Despite the plot being ok, the action being pretty good, and Lwaxana and Q being nearly spot-on, there are so many problems with the writing that I couldn't go 15 minutes without groaning at something horrible.

Crimes against literature include (but are not limited to):

-Over-referencing previous events that we would know about from the television show and movies without explaining them at all.

-Lazy descriptions that act as a
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a short, light read. It rang true to TNG characters, but if it were an actual episode, rather than a tie-in, it would've just been an episode I'd watched then forgotten.
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
I read this book, not because I'm a Star Trek fan, but rather because I'm a Peter David fan. Despite my having a very limited knowledge of Star Trek and its characters, I never had any trouble following what was going on or remaining invested in the characters. Admittedly, there's not a lot of gravitas to the story, it's pure popcorn fun, but Peter David's wonderful sense of humor (particularly when he writes the snarky Q) makes every page of this book a joy to read!
Pam
Jun 07, 2015 added it
I do actually remember reading this one, because of Joey's recommendation. I don't remember the details but I do remember being pleasantly surprised at how good a read it was. Thanks hubby!

Read: 3/1996 (hard to believe I read it while doing college classes...spring break??

entered on goodreads: 6/7/2015
Naomi
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Read by John Delancie and Majel Barrett ...more
Kyle  Tresnan
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
I made a friend and she took me to a used book store, and the short version of this story is that--despite being a little embarrassed--I bought a Star Trek book there. I like Star Trek; it was $2. I figured why not.

It was everything I dreamed it would be. I heard all of the characters' voices in my head when I read their dialogue, and the writing was sometimes so bad that I actually had to look away from the book.

Here's what we have for a story: These two kids from a rival family are gonna get
Erin
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read virtually all the numbered ST: TNG pocketbooks, and this remains one of my favorites. Seriously, Q dates Troi's Mom. You know it will be ridiculous, but also delightful. I admit that occasionally the characters may feel a little OOC, but then you also have to remember that one episode where Picard had to pretend to woo Lwaxana back from a Ferengi, and then you realize that sometimes the show was a little fast and loose sometimes, too. The secondary plot with alien Romeo and Juliet, and ...more
David
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I find Peter David's "Star Trek" work to be very hit-or-miss plot-wise. The dialogue is often odd and the stories skew toward the weird. Of course, science fiction is weird by its nature, but David's plots sometimes break the internal logic of the TV's series or occasionally the novel itself.

However, "Q-in-Law" is one of the best he has ever written. Q and Lwaxana are consistently funny and in character (though Q as he was in TNG Season 3, not as the impish teacher he had become by "All Good
Christopher Lutz
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Appropriate that I finished this book on Mother's Day.

My first TNG novel outside of the post-Nemesis relaunch series. Considering these books were written during the run of the TV show and couldn't mess with major characters too much, Q-In-Law is still able to tell a story that furthers the characters of Q and Lwaxana Troi in a meaningful way. Both get their moments to shine and their interaction feels as epic as one would expect. The legendary meeting is set to the backdrop of a Romeo and
Jdetrick
I've realized that I prefer Peter David's Star Trek novels when they aren't as focused on humor. This book, which has a great premise and some great scenes, relies a little too heavily on humor, and moreover, on humor that I don't really like. Its a humor based on traditional gender roles and (to my mind) outdated views on men and women, so a lot of the humor not only didn't land for me, but some of it made me mildly uncomfortable. To be clear, the book is overall, a fun and breezy read, but I ...more
Laure
May 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I regret reading this. I thought it would be funny; it was not.

This book had no redeeming qualities.

It was given to me by someone who happened upon it and knows of my loathing of these two characters.

I didn’t think it would be good, but it was so much worse than I imagined.

Every character was stupid and two dimensional, the writing was awful, the plot took forever to go nowhere, the Romeo-and-Juliet story made me cringe, and all the rampant sexism was disappointing.
Ellen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What fun to pick up a book I haven't read since the 90's! I reread the paperback alongside the abridged audiobook with the voice talents of Magel Barret Roddenberry and John de Lancie themselves. It would have been so much better unabridged, but that's not how audiobooks were done in those days. References to Romeo and Juliet abound with plenty of humor around it. My favorite scene will always be when Luaxana Troi is a woman scorned who takes her revenge on Q in a most hilarious manner.
Snogged
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Q-In-Law is loosely based on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. The Enterprise is set to hold a wedding between two young lovers who also happen to be from "feuding" houses. Lwaxana Troi arrives on the ship as the delegate from Betazed and Q arrives on the ship to rifle feathers and challenge the human emotion of love.

It was a fun, short read. The Q/Lwaxana thread of the plot was definitely my favorite and Worf got some of the best one-liners.
Arwen
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
A Star Trek the Next Generation novel. The TNG cast feels a little like family, and so I usually find room for them on my reading list. But this book has two thing in it I don't care for Q and Lwaxana Troi, which is why it gets the Okay rating instead of a Good rating. It was a little more campy and a bit more comedy orientated than more TNG books I've read.
Craig
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Well I gotta say that I was not looking forward to this book but it was actually quite hilarious. I was laughing pretty much from start to finish - even the Wesley parts which I am usually rolling my eyes through (which makes it hard to look at the page). Too bad this couldn`t have been an actual episode as it would have been a lot of fun. ...more
Steven Linden
Aug 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was horrible. It read like bad fan fiction. The characters in this book speak and act nothing like their counterparts on the show, save perhaps Data. Picard and Q are particularly off-model. The plot was as vapid, and boring, as it was predictable. And the "power of love" message was eye roll-inducing. I had low expectations going into this, but still this managed to disappoint.
Thor B
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish so hard that this was an actual episode of TNG, but having the audiobook read by Majel Barrett and John DeLancie is the next best thing.

Such a quick, fun read! (slash listen!)

If you like Q you'll like this, it was great.
Jordan Bethea
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun quick read, does a good job of bringing together two of the show's most dominant personalities in a pretty believable way. The ending is not especially Trek-like, and feels more like wish fulfillment than an actual ending. But, it's fun getting there for the most part.
Maj
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted something light...and I got it!

A very well made comedy Trek...it's just...a lot of it is not my kind of humour - and I'm also not sure it aged all that well. BUT I think what it intends to do it does well.
Hasteur
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sara
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, star-trek, sci-fi
Peter David does it again! Great audio performances by De Lancie and Barrett. This one should have been an episode.
Katie Hibbitt
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Silly and fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Ashes of Eden (Star Trek: Odyssey, #1)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • Avenger (Star Trek: Odyssey, #3)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • The Return (Star Trek: Odyssey, #2)
  • The Genesis Wave: Book 3 of 3 (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Unification (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Genesis Wave: Book 2 of 3 (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, #4)
  • Vulcan's Heart
  • Enterprise: The First Adventure
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Star Trek: Borg Experience the Collective CD: Experience the Collective
  • Battlestar Galactica 2: The Cylon Death Machine (Battlestar Galactica, #2)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • Dreadnought! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #1)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
“If we can't alter the tide of events, at least we can be nearby with towels to mop up.” 38 likes