Start by marking “Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications” as Want to Read:
Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications

Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications

The ultimate guide to cryptography, updated from an author team of the world's top cryptography experts. Cryptography is vital to keeping information safe, in an era when the formula to do so becomes more and more challenging. Written by a team of world-renowned cryptography experts, this essential guide is the definitive introduction to all major areas of cryptography: me ...more
Published March 8th 2010 by Wiley (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cryptography Engineering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cryptography Engineering

Vasil Kolev
This wasn't easy.

The math in it isn't hard, and nothing is very complex, but I lost count of the times I thought "shit, we're doing this wrong" or "this would be insane to get right". Also, I found some stuff missing, for example any other public-key system than RSA, PGP, or the XEX/XTS modes of AES (which are used a lot in storage systems).

But all in all, this seems to be the best book on the topic out there at the moment.
Irio
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excelente livro sobre criptografia e sistemas de segurança. A primeira metade, que fala muito sobre a teoria é massante, mas vale a pena ao menos tentar entender (e escanear quando ver que está pesado demais). Tendo feito isso, você consegue tirar muito mais da segunda parte, que fala sobre a parte prática: a segurança de um sistema é definida pelo seu elo mais fraco. Esse livro implanta a paranoia de sempre estar preocupado em encontrar qual é esse elo e como alguém poderia quebrá-lo.
Prasanna
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I generally don't review "work" books that I read in the course of implementing something but this book was quite phenomenal in how it extracts very practical suggestions for building cryptographic applications. I used this in a sizable project and probably read a few chapters way more than 5 times to get all the ideas, and I'm sure this saved me many days of debugging arcane issues. I recommend everyone who may see themselves implementing cryptographic and evaluating security software to read t ...more
Chris
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I find cryptography engineering a topic that is addressed mostly by either the academic publication or StackOverflow, and litter in between.
This is a very readable and clearly structured book by some authoritative authors in the fields. The must-have reference for all security engineers.
But, it desperately needs a refresh after 7 years since it was initially published.
Brian Palmer
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the sort of book that terrifies me at the idea of ever touching security code, but it was great for pointing out common mistakes people make when implementing clever algorithms.
Warren Mcpherson
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookchain
Practical review of implementation considerations for cryptographic systems. It covers a broad range of technologies and the descriptions are bound to be insightful even to people who are quite experienced but still accessible to those who are not.
There are descriptions of critical algorithms like Diffie-Hellman and RSA. The mathematics are described along with techniques to validate large calculations. Many examples show how thoughtful security systems have been compromised by simple, understan
Tyler Coffin
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
Essential reading on the topic of cryptography.
Maksim
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable awesome book. It explained lot of security and cryptography stuff that I was only vaguely aware of.
Matthew B.
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Many parts I already knew the basics of, but there was always something there, which I didn't.
MBybee
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Should be required reading for anyone implementing any form of systems, or even most people who need to work with them.
Yury
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First time run I did not get it at all. I will do second attempt to clear it for myself.
D
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: computers
3.5 / 5
Ron
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: compsec, math
The math in this book is at least at an upper division college math level. I thought the book was excellent, though I would have appreciated a chapter on gnupg, or PGP.

This book promises that it utterly will not leave the reader ready to go write good security software, but no book can do that.

The final chapter covered Standards and Patents. The standards info was quite cynical, and from my own experience also quite accurate. A bit more on patents would have been nice, as opposed to the absence
Kyle The Hacker
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: security engineers
I found Cryptography Engineering extremely useful in building and reinforcing the mindset for security engineers needing to build cryptographic systems. The authors (as expected) deliver an excellent explanation of the mindset required to securely and properly construct these systems, and what types of concerns should be on the minds of these engineers.
Matthew Talbert
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every software developer should read this book. If for no other reason, then read it for the constant reminders of how easy is it to screw up security. As the authors say, develop professional paranoia!
عبدالله
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
أول كتاب حاسوبي أقرأه بشكل كامل. 3> ب_ب
الكتاب ممتع مرة بالنسبة لي وأستفدت منه كثير مع أنه كثير من المفاهيم الي فيه درستها من قبل بمادة أمن المعلومات بالجامعة.
أتفق مع تفكير الكاتب جدًا من ناحية الوسوسة أصلا كذا طبيعة تفكيري بالمجمل، بس من ناحية التطبيق بحياتي غالبا لا.
Juv
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice overview of cryptography.
Daniel Schulte
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really good book on the concepts of software security. It's easy to read and easy to understand. The only hard part is implementing the principles it talks about.
DC James
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Extremely informative and practical.
Ω
rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2018

• Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems
  • Handbook of Applied Cryptography
  • Malware Analyst's Cookbook and DVD: Tools and Techniques for Fighting Malicious Code
  • Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C
  • SQL Antipatterns
  • The Rootkit Arsenal: Escape and Evasion in the Dark Corners of the System
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications
  • Threat Modeling: Designing for Security
  • Understanding Cryptography: A Textbook For Students And Practitioners
  • The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • The Art of Software Security Assessment: Identifying and Preventing Software Vulnerabilities
  • The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
  • Literate Programming
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications, Volume II
  • The IDA Pro Book: The Unofficial Guide to the World's Most Popular Disassembler

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“A friend of ours encountered this problem with his home-built computer long ago. He wrote a BIOS that used a magic value in a particular memory location to determine whether a reset was a cold reboot or a warm reboot. After a while the machine refused to boot after power-up because the memory had learned the magic value, and the boot process therefore treated every reset as a warm reboot. As this did not initialize the proper variables, the boot process failed.

The solution in his case was to swap some memory chips around, scrambling the magic value that the SRAM had learned. For us, it was a lesson to remember: memory retains more data than you think.”
1 likes
“The function of cryptographic protocols is to minimize the amount of trust required.” 0 likes