Start by marking “Snow White” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Snow White

(Grimms Kinder- und Hausmärchen #53)

Hardcover, Silver Anniversary Edition, 48 pages
Published November 30th 1974 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Snow White, please sign up.
ToniHiggsReviews If you're asking about the edition illustrated by Camille Rose Garcia then it's the original Grimm's Fairytale and as such a lot darker than the Disne…moreIf you're asking about the edition illustrated by Camille Rose Garcia then it's the original Grimm's Fairytale and as such a lot darker than the Disney version so this is not for children. I'd say teenagers and upwards.(less)

Start your review of Snow White
Melki
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folk-fairy-tales
Of all the Grimm brothers' horror stories, this one is perhaps the creepiest.

In a fit of pique, a narcissistic queen demands Snow White's lungs and liver (in this version), then eagerly devours the organs she believes belong to her stepdaughter. Given a reprieve by her would-be killer, Ms. White disappears into a dark and scary forest only to discover a small cottage where she makes herself at home, then falls asleep. Later, she awakens to find herself surrounded by small men. They allow her to
Ahmed  Ejaz
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, short-stories
Finally I did it! Read one of the most beloved fairy tales.
I had the few ideas about the plot but I hadn't read it before.
I had seen some parts of it in a drama. I think in "Shakalaka boom boom".
Regardless, I enjoyed reading it. This tale is the best example of jealousy. Some people take jealousy at such level that it becomes their death. They just burn in jealousy and can't be contented.
Ending seemed to be inspired by the Sleeping Beauty. Don't why if it's just me. But I felt that. Or maybe
Ahmad Sharabiani
Snow White, Wilhelm Grimm, Paul Heins, Trina Schart Hyman (Illustrator), Jacob Grimm
"Snow White" is a 19th-century German fairy tale which is today known widely across the Western world. The Brothers Grimm published it in 1812 in the first edition of their collection Grimms' Fairy Tales. It was titled in German: Sneewittchen (in modern orthography Schneewittchen) and numbered as Tale 53. The name "Sneewittchen" was Low German and in the first version it was translated with "Schneeweißchen". The
Aishu Rehman
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: The Art and Creation of Walt Disney’s Classic is a lovely book that is worthy of any Disney fan’s collection. It provides a rare glimpse into one of the most iconic and important films of all time, making this book important to any collector of film memorabilia. It’s really that good. This book is definitely more like your traditional “art and making of” book, while The Fairest One of All is more of an expanisve history plus art. I loved this book much more than ...more
Manny
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
For the benefit of those people unfortunate enough never to have read Let Stalk Strine , may I take this opportunity to bring you:

Snow White and the Severed Wharves

Snow White was a beautiful young Strine secret service agent. In private life she was a doctor of philosophy and a connoisseur of immersion heating. As a counter spy (officially known as 004), she was noted for her dexterity with the hypodermic syringe and for her unswerving promiscuity in the service of her country.

Her most rema
Willow
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just love the artwork in this book!

I also thought it was cool that they left all the grim and creepy tidbits from the original fairytale.
Tisha
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I would have given it a four. But the finishing was quite abrupt! So, three it is.
Cheryl
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Of course the pictures are gorgeous. I love the individual dwarfs, especially. But really, the more I think about this, the more I get exasperated with the tale. SW is pretty, but stupid. (Fool me once....) And the prince loves her before he even sees her breathe, promises her marriage before knowing anything about her expect that her appeal will fade in just a few years....
Linda
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Snow-White has to flee when the evil queen realizes that she is more beautiful than her and wants to kill her.

The Grimm version had some surprises. (view spoiler)

It was something weird about the dwarves obsession with Snow-White. The transparent coffin, which enabled them to look at her from all sides, was strange. She was on display. The prince who found th
Shabana Mukhtar
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Non-review rant
I have read in Urdu and then English. Have read many re-tellings as well. Why haven't I reviewed it yet? This time, it was an audiobooks.
Review
Well, the story is so widely known that I don't really need to write anything about that. It is a cute story though - making me wany my complexion white as a snow and lips red as blood. Ahem!
Verdict
3 stars. I would have rated 5 if I was decades younger ;-)
Set
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Snow White is one of my favorite fairy tales, even though it doesn't involve fairies but instead witches and hexes. The illustrations are gorgeous and the story is very well told.
Reno Hummel
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A novel full of charm despite its old origins and dark storyline; seeing the Disney movie is an embellishment and a "watering down" of sorts. More interested in creating tropes than telling the actual plot of this wonderful novel
Lesr Kew
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.75 so far my favorite illustrated edition. It would have been sealed with a last illustration of snow white as a queen. Otherwise all the details of the illustrations were just dark and superb! Even the size and thickness were great. Loved it.
Beth_Adele
I have fond memories as a small child, curled on my mothers lap as she read me this book. It has long been my favoured telling of Snow White. (Though admittedly the only other tellings I have read were a Disney version and a couple of other versions where only the apple was featured.)

I love the illustrations by Trina Schart Hyman. They are a little bit darker than other versions, which I find a bonus. There is no busty babe in a brightly coloured coloured princess cut puffy sleeved dressed. The
Matt
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended for grades 2nd-4th
This edition of the “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”, is much, much darker than the Disney version that most people my age have grown up with. The Queen repeatedly asks the mirror on the wall,” Mirror, mirror on the wall, Who is the fairest of us all?” She had always received the answer she wanted, until Snow White turned seven, and the mirror has to answer truethfully says, “Snow White”. This enrages the Queen and she turned green with envy, then commands that Sn
Madeleine
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I absolutely love this book, its retold well and the illustrations are amazing!
Fahad Nasir
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Lol I feel nostalgic remembering my childhood when my mom used to read me this and puss in boots and so many more..
Meredith
This is a picture book adaptation of the fairy tale "Snow White," using a translation of the original Grimm text.

Because of the text's more mature content, this book is best suited for older readers. The illustrations by Trina Schart Hyman are rich and layered, done in a combination of pencil, pen and ink, acrylic, pastels, and crayons. There is a lot of bonus content in the details.

A queen wishes she had a child "as white as snow, as red as blood, and as black as ebony." Her wish is granted, an
Ashgan
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I remember growing up listening to this story told by my mother, of course not THAT one, the disney much much lighter version, I learned before reading that the original tale is very dark, it is also said that in the original story it was Snow white's mother and not stepmother who did all this because she hated growing old and losing her beauty while snow white was blossoming into what the mother used to be, the story discusses the impact of pride and envy and how they eat your soul day by day, ...more
RumBelle
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully rendered version of Snow White. The prose really evokes emotion and the magic and wonder of the tale. Snow White really goes through a harrowing journey, but we always get our happy ending.

What really brings this edition to life are the illustrations. Trina Hyman's work is not overly vibrant, it is understated, but all the more beautiful for it. Soft colors, and smooth textures bring a calm sense to the story.

Beautiful edition.
Nabiya
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
So why exactly did the prince see a little girl lying in the woods and decide to take her with him?? What was he going to do with her presumedly dead body??? I'm scared??
Laurie Connolly
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The cover!
Miss Clark
For the art alone, 4 stars. One of Hyman's finest!

Ooh, that magic mirror! The figures on it change every time it is shown. Including the very last page.

But, argh, that story. The prince just sees this coffin and declares that the dwarves must gift it to him (after attempting to buy it from them) because "I cannot live without seeing Snow White." WHAT? So he has his servants cart this apparently dead body back so he can "treasure her as my dearest."

?????

Then she is dropped and the poisoned apple
Wren (fablesandwren)
I have the complete set of the Grimm Fairy-Tales, and there are so many that I haven’t read! They are very short, as one would know, so I have decided to read each one and give them a review. Some are very vulgar, some are very cute and some don’t even make sense. Some of them are well known fairy-tales and some have never been told. Some are fairy-tales we know but are not the same because they have been downplayed for the children.

Starts out like the story everyone knows and loves.

But did you
Cosette
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Mary Catelli
Trina Hyman does lovely work on this faithful retelling of Snow White. I particularly like the details and the use of chiaroscuro.

Needless to say Snow White does not look seven years old, as the text claims she is -- especially not in the last scene, where the prince asks her to marry him. But then, no illustrator ever does. (Even if they don't make her grow up between the queen's visits, which would make more sense.) Especially since here, as in Sleeping Beauty, the prince definitely looks like
Amanda
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Trina Schart Hyman was a sorceress. (In a good way, obviously.) Seriously. These illustrations are perfection. They capture the eeriness of the Grimm tale (pun absolutely intended) and march along in perfect rhythm to Heins' translation of this intensely German tale. It is almost impossible to read another version of the story and NOT see the characters the way that Hyman portrayed them. Also: the evolution of the mirror = delightfully terrifying.
Agnė
It's official: Trina Schart Hyman is my favorite picturebook illustrator!
As for the story, it is written beautifully, BUT this version of Snow White is probably not my favorite as Snow White has no personality whatsoever, is helpless and fairly stupid. Plus, I don't know what to make of the ending. WEIRD.
Bekka
I fell for Trina Schart Hyman's illustrations as a child, as she illustrated many of the books in my childhood library and I continue now to value her gorgeous artwork. Furthermore, this version of the story has remained my favorite.
مروة الجزائري
My favorite childhood fairy tale ever. I read the original story which is called ( snow drop ) and its pretty much the same except that the prince didnt kiss her to wake up and the evil queen died from rage and envy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Princess and the Pea
  • Donkey Skin
  • The Little Match Girl
  • Cinderella

Grimms Kinder- und Hausmärchen (1 - 10 of 209 books)
  • The Frog King, or Iron Heinrich