Start by marking “Ghostopolis” as Want to Read:
Ghostopolis

Ghostopolis

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  11,292 ratings  ·  1,044 reviews
Imagine Garth Hale's surprise when he's accidentally zapped to the spirit world by Frank Gallows, a washed-out ghost wrangler. Suddenly Garth finds he has powers the ghosts don't have, and he's stuck in a world run by the evil ruler of Ghostopolis, who would use Garth's newfound abilities to rule the ghostly kingdom. When Garth meets Cecil, his grandfather's ghost, the two ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Graphix

·  11,292 ratings  ·  1,044 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5 not quite a 4 star.)

Enjoyed this, but I felt that at times it was a bit too all over the place.
Calista
This was a fun read. I didn't know what to expect, but this was a bit of a surprise. It almost had a little 'Matrix' feel to it and Garth, our main character was a little bit like Neo.

There is an agency that keeps the ghost world out of the human world. One day, an officer makes a mistake and sends a human boy, Garth, to the land of the dead. Garth finds that he has powers over there. The story moves a lot and I feel it might have been better in two parts or something.

Garth meets all kinds of p
Brad
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
My Brontë loved this graphic novel, and I can see why. It's a feel good story full of classic "monsters" -- mummies, skeletons, goblins, demonic insects -- but they're all cleaned up and as unscary as can be. There is a simplistic good versus evil tale going on (albeit with a nurture rather than nature bent). There is a lovable grandfather, who was a poor father, looking for and finding redemption. There is a sacrifice for love. It hits all the right notes for the kids who are its target audienc ...more
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
It was ok. Nothing that will leave a lasting memory on me unfortunately. I do think this one would be more enjoyable if I were younger. I'd recommended it for anyone eight and up.

Edit: It's been a week and I literally forget everything about this graphic novel. I'm knocking it down to two stars. It probably deserves higher but if I can't remember it after only a few days than it really didn't mean much to me.

I also heard the author (who also created the Sega video game - Earthworm Jim) is kind
Natalie
Review #2 - May 31, 2015
I recently bought a pack of TenNapel books from Scholastic, and this book was included, so I decided to read it again.

I'm not a huge fan of graphic-novels, but I like the way TenNapel writes. I have an easy time following the story and never feel overwhelmed by words and pictures. The stories are very creative.

Can't wait to share this with my students! I know they'll love it.

Review #1 - August 7, 2012
I started reading this and wasn't very interested. In fact, I read th
Melissa Chung
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm beginning to think Dough TenNapel is my new favorite middle grade graphic novel author. The first book I read from him 'Cardboard', was really good and it had a Pinocchio vibe. This one reminded me on the Wizard of Oz.

Ghostopolis is about a boy named Garth and he has an incurable disease. The doctors do not have a time frame for when he will pass on.

Frank Gallows is a ghost wrangler. He catches ghosts that have illegally crossed over and cuffs them. Sending them back to the afterlife. While
Michael
Auch beim Wiederlesen kommt Ghostopolis nicht über drei Sterne hinaus.
Die Story ist witzig und kann mit vielen netten Details und Ideen aufwarten, trotzdem fehlt aber das gewisse etwas, das mich dazu motiviert, bei der Stange zu bleiben. Wäre es ein Film, dann die Sorte, bei der ich zwischendurch aufstehe, mir eine Stulle schmiere oder einen Tee koche - man verpaßt ja nicht wirklich etwas. Und die Zeichnungen sind leider mit Ausnahme einiger Panels, die wiederum auf witzigen Ideen basieren, auc
Kitkat
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book was heartwarming! I loved how Claire and Frank end up together in the ghost city. I loved how Garth's mom and grandad forgive each other.I loved this book a lot! I loved that Garth knows he won't give up fighting this sickness he has. Also how Claire's grandfather is a werewolf is awesome and how Claire is the Queen of the undead. I mean that's really cool!
Lars Guthrie
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounding out my recent foray into Scholastic's impressive Graphix line, here's a great one for fourth graders up that touches on life and death, family dynamics, romance, theology and the Tuskegee airmen. Combine that with TenNapel's wonderful drawings of zombies, mummies, skeletons and other denizens of afterlife, and you can't go wrong.
Kaitlin
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the story of Garth Hale and how he accidentally ended up getting transported into the world of the dead (as you do). He's a young boy who's not the most optimistic or happy upon Earth due to an illness he has, but when he's transported away to Ghostopolis he comes into his own adventure against evil bugs, riding skeleton horses and generally trying to escape.

I liked the story and it was certainly fun in places but I didn't feel like there was a whole load to comment on because it's not t
Damon
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
This was disappointing, because there were a lot of things about it that, if they'd been handled in a bit different of a way, could have been really great. The art for the most part is super, but where a little nudge in a certain direction would have pushed it into something kind of creepy and cool, it goes the other way into goofy and silly. The writing is the same way - I understand that this book is directed at a young audience, but I bet a lot of kids today can appreciate jokes that aren't a ...more
Dov Zeller
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Rut roh. Having a hard time with this one knowing that Doug TenNapel has said some super icky queer-phobic stuff. I think if it weren't for that, I might have given the book a 3? But not sure. I found the storytelling to be uneven, the characters a bit thin and the action often jumps around too much. What did I like about it? My favorite part was the relationship between the boy and the skeleton horse, and the resistance of the skeleton king. (Right about now, it's really nice to read stories ab ...more
Bria
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not only was the love story rather empty and trite, it caused an offensively arbitrary scene where the girl for absolutely no reason, completely interrupting the plot except to further the stupid love story in the most unimaginative and sexist way, suddenly changes into a dress because girls only care about dresses and the only way for men and women to interact is for the man to tell the woman that she looks good because of the dress and the woman to be genuinely flattered. WHAT YEAR ARE YOU WRI ...more
16maxwelll
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Ghostopolis is a fun, but a bit childish book about the afterlife. The genre of Ghostopolis is fantasy graphic novel. The book takes place in a world where when you die, you go to Ghostopolis where all the dead live. However, the dead can sneak through holes and come back to life on earth. Frank Gallows and the SITF are in charge of zapping them back to Ghostopolis. The main character is a normal kid named Garth who lives with his mom and is diagnosed with an incurable disease. One day, Frank me ...more
Karissa
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at the library on a whim and I am so glad I did. This was a wonderful story with some great illustrations. The story is meaningful, fun, and quirky all at the same time.

Garth is a kid with problems, he has a life-threatening condition that no doctor can solve. Imagine his surprise when he is accidentally zapped into the Ghost world by an accident prone ghost hunter. While there Garth learns he has fantastic powers and ends up facing off against Ghostopolis's evil ruler. Gar
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This was my 15th book for the YALSA Best Books challenge.

So basically there are a lot of things going on all at once (like with any good book). First of all you have a ghost hunter named Frank Gallows who goes around and zaps ghosts back to a ghost world where Ghostopolis is the main city. Then you have a kid named Garth who has some incurable disease and his mother who drags him to five doctors to try and find some hope of a cure. Well things get a bit jumbled when Gallows sends a skeleton hor
Victor Daniel
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This was my 4th favorite book that I've read it's about a kid named Garth that has a uncureable disease that sums up his death but befor he dies he goes to the underworld by a guy named frank that teleported him there on accident I would like for many people to try this book out.:)
Hunter
Oct 11, 2018 added it
it was a great book
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
This is a cute story. Garth is a terminally ill boy who gets trapped in Afterlife while he's still alive because an RIPD type dude accidentally sends him back while sending a "nightmare" back at the same time.

So we visit Afterlife where the rules are reversed - i.e. living people can fly and go through walls and have magic - things the dead can do in our world - and it's all powered by imagination which, naturally, Garth has in abundance and he's uber-strong, a "natural talent", and, with help,
Brittany Boza
Jul 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Zoey Wyn
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Frank Gallows, a longtime ghost hunter has really done it this time, sending a living person to the afterlife. What a loser! Now he is really going to get fired, so he enlists his ex to help save the day.

Garth, a terminally ill boy, is accidentally zapped to the afterlife prematurely. At first he just wants to find a way home, but as he spends more time in the afterlife he realizes he may be able to help.

Cecil, Garth’s grandfather, totally failed at life and his family. But through this terrible
Mitchel Broussard
I'm surprised at how good this was. It looks kiddie, and is kinda kiddie, but the story is well thought out and the bad guys are enjoyably evil, and i just kinda loved it. Basically its the story of this kid, Garth, that finds himself in the afterlife. One problem, he's still alive. In this afterlife, there are seven kingdoms at the hub of which, Ghostopolis sits, all led by the evil Vaugner.

Whats really cool about it is the magic system. Basically humans in the ghost world don't abide by afte
Amber
May 02, 2012 added it
Amber Randol
Graphic Novel

This book is about a ghost hunter who accidently zaps a boy to ghostopolis, the other world. He decides to go after him to bring him back with the help of his ex-girlfriend who is a ghost. The boy meets his grandfather in the city and they learn he has special powers. The ruler of ghostopolis tries to kidnap him for his powers because he wants the town all for himself, with no one in his way. Together they all work to defeat him by combining powers, and they are able to
Amal Fadoo
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ghostopolis, is an amazing book. It is about a human boy, Garth, who gets caught in a ghost trap gets sent to Ghostopolis. It is a place for the afterlife where people are ruled by Vaugner the evil leader. Garth has to get back to his mother. With the help of his friends he manages to get back home and defeat Vaugner. This book was very hard to put down. It is filled with adventure.
HojunHwang
It was interesting book. The last moment that all the misunderstanding between Garth's mother and her father was great ending. Also, all the Garth's works that he done for the 'Afterlife' even he had serious disease are great too.
Sharon
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will be seeking out more TenNapel books. Fun, well told, art really enhances the story, and all-ages appropriate while still being a good story. And Skinny the Horse is awesome.
Lynn
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immature Graphic Novel

This graphic novel is geared toward middle school age boys. There are common mentions of farting, poop and diarrhea. Not my thing but I was looking for a book for a middle school boy who is learning English and needs a book with simp!e language and appropriate for his age group. I think he will like this book. The graphics are appealing and the humor is simple and actually the equivalent of an eight year olds. Still. I feel there is an audience for this graphic novel.
Vojtěch
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, english, ebook
OMG, tohle bylo boží. Promyšlené, dobře vykreslené charaktery, napínavé a místy až mrazící. Magnifique!
Erin Dunn
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this today at a book sale for my 10 year old twin boys. They each read it in about 30 minutes and really enjoyed it so I decided to read it also. I read it super quickly as well and also enjoyed it, but being an adult of course I would have liked it to be more in depth. However, it's for younger readers and it was perfect for my sons! :)
CD
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Part of the 'new' graphic novel collection at MHFG!
Madison Mega-Mara...: #125 Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel 1 1 Nov 18, 2016 10:56PM
Ghostopolis movie 2 5 Jan 26, 2016 11:06AM
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Sidekicks
  • The Storm in the Barn
  • Princeless, Vol. 3: The Pirate Princess
  • Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)
  • Ichiro
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 1
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Lola: A Ghost Story
  • Mercury
  • Broxo
Doug TenNapel is the Eisner Award winning writer/artist of over sixteen graphic novels. He is published by Image Comics and Scholastic/Graphics.

He's been married for 27 years to the love of his life and has four book-loving kids.

Doug's favorite authors include G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. He reads mostly philosophy but tends to get his fiction from audio-books.

His performs live
“I know a lot of things about you, Garth...And I'm rooting for you anyways.” 10 likes