Start by marking “The Dream Machine: J.C.R. Licklider and the Revolution That Made Computing Personal” as Want to Read:

A study of the evolution of the modern computer profiles the work of MIT psychologist J. C. R. Licklider, whose visionary dream of a human-computer symbiosis transformed the course of modern science and led to the development of the personal computer. Reprint.
Published August 27th 2002 by Penguin Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Dream Machine, please sign up.

Start your review of The Dream Machine: J.C.R. Licklider and the Revolution That Made Computing Personal
Kevin O'Brien
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having just read Katie Hafner's Where Wizard's Stay Up Late I was ready to tackle this book, which is both deeper and more ambitious. Where Hafner's book was purely about the origin of the Internet, Waldrop is taking on the whole idea of personal computing. Licklider thus provides the focus for this book, for while he played a crucial role in promoting networking, his true aim was always what he termed a symbiotic partnership between humans and computers, and for him networking was just a necess ...more
Felix
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most deeply insightful book I've read on the history & vision of computing.

It's special since it covers an amazingly broad scope – all the way from the mechanical machines employed in WW2 (cybernetics) to modern-day personal computing & the internet. It's even more special since it also covers the people & the culture that made all this happen.

It ties *so* many threads together:
– The origins of Claude Shannon's information theory & Von Neumann's architecture that laid the groundwork
Yoshiki
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is as good as all the other reviews say it is. Alan Kay recommends it as the best history of that era.

While it might take some time to read, Waldrop's prose travels smoothly into your mind, allowing you to focus on the ideas, people, and relationships. Waldrop writes fairly: where there's controversy, he'll mention multiple perspectives, and his narrative voice makes a clear distinction between the consensus and his speculation, an important habit for a chronicler. And the people: ther
Jayesh
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jayesh by: Alan Kay
Shelves: non-fiction
I have read quite a few books covering different parts of the history of computing but none of them were as expansive as this one. Not sure if keeping Licklider's name in the title was necessary since the book covers so many people important to the "revolution" that he mostly ends up being a framing device for an expansive tale.
George Gao
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant biography of J.C.R. Licklider, as well as personal computing and networking which has shaped the lives of our generation in every aspect.

This book hit me in the process of writing my honours thesis, I am working with technologies that the characters so clairvoyantly dreamed of and then made real. Every time a new technology is introduced as an idea floating around somewhere in Cambridge MA or the nascent Bay Area it makes you gasp at the ingenuity, and the hard work, context
Thomas Dietert
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best non-fiction books I've ever read. Sure, I'm probably biased because my life revolves around computer programming, but nonetheless I'd avidly assert that anyone who takes pleasure in using a personal computer or the internet in any way would greatly enjoy this story about the inception, story, and humans behind the ideas at their foundation.
Jessy
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my new all-time favorite books. Learning about the history of computing through the people, the ideas that captured them, and the organizations that they built is ridiculously awe-inspiring as a computer scientist.
Michal Takáč
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Incredible book! I'm so glad that it found the way to me somehow (don't remember how it happened, maybe from some tweet from Bret Victor?). It goes through the history of computing, from when the Information theory was invented, ARPA, IPTO, Xerox PARC, invention of object-oriented programming, Smalltalk, multitasking, graphical interface, until current notion of personal computer.

I HIGHLY encourage everybody who loves computers to read this book cover to cover. I'll definitely re-read it in comi
Brian Cloutier
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational. It was a pleasure to follow Lick's life as computers went from nonextant to bicycles for the mind. I think that I believe in more determinism than the author does, personal computers likely would have happened even without ARPA's valiant efforts. It was still a pleasure to read about this man who had A Vision For the Future and did his best to make it happen, inspiring generations of computer scientists along the way. I have too many thoughts about this book right now to write a c ...more
Ye Lin Aung
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, read-2018
This is an incredible journey of computing of from WW2 towards the invention of WWW/The Internet. There are a lot of lessons along the way, the names we might have heard of and their relationships with the computers. This quote sticks with me most

hire the most brilliant experimenters in the country, give them the best equipment money could buy, inspire them to the highest possible standards of intellectual clarity and experimental precision—and work them fourteen hours per day.

And I guess this i
Joe Zeng
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty incredible book on the history of computing and a look at the life of a pioneer not commonly taught in schools. Gives great insight on the first principle thinking that early computer scientists exercised.
Andrew Louis
Less a biography of a single person and more the story of an idealistic thread in computing history.
Anton
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book.

Basically tells the whole history of computing starting from pre-WWII years, through John von Neumann and Alan Turning years, invention of LISP, Arpanet, Xerox PARC, TCP/IP, Unix and interactive computing and finally internet.

It just connects all the great people together: Norbert Wiener, von Neumann, Noam Chomsky, JFK, Alan Kay, Vint Cerf, John McCarthy, Marvin Minsky, Steve Jobs, Al Gore. And all connected via work of J. C. R. Licklider.

Palash Karia
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very well-written, surprisingly comprehensive, & exciting to read history of 'personal' computing & the internet, this book is a fitting tribute to JCR Licklider, 'the father of it all'. It's a must read if you learn about computing history. ...more
Josh Lee
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“It seems to have hit him with the force of a religious epiphany: our minds were slaves to mundane detail, and computers would be our salvation. We and they were destined to unite in an almost mystical partnership: thinking together, sharing, dividing the load. Each half would be preeminent in its own sphere—rote algorithms for computers, creative heuristics for humans. But together we would become a greater whole, a symbiosis, a man-machine partnership unique in the history of the world:
"The ho
Eduardo
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of the Computer Revolution, starting in the late 30s-40s and reaching the early 90s. The author uses the figure of J. C. R. Licklider, one of the central figures in unlocking the potential of the personal computer, as the main thread and dives into the characters that brought the vision of a dream machine into reality.
This book does an amazing job at bringing life to these famous characters in the history of Computing, people like Von Neumann, Norbert Wiener, McCulloch and Pit
Rachel
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Patrick Collison podcast, I think?
I've read some about the inception of computing (Turing, von Neumann, etc), and there exists in the pop cultural ether loads about Jobs and Gates and personal computing, but this is all I've read of the intervening time, when the ideas that constitute computing as we know it today first emerged and were made manifest. I found this vital both as a story of a somewhat neglected part of computing history -- nuanced and lively depictions of various key people; the usual historical questions of conti ...more
Shuo Yang
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best book about early days of computer and internet. Learned a lot and got a lot of inspirations. I was so amazed that find myself end up underlining the whole page.
Ron Mitchell
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just brilliant

Best history of the computer revolution I've ever seen. Seems to be only available on Kindle. Why isn't this masterpiece back in print?
Josh Friedlander

This book began as a somewhat vague project, in response to a grant for a book about software. As Waldrop explains in the acknowledgements, he wanted to write about the history of the personal computer, and Licklider's name kept coming up, so he decided to write his biography. But the book is mostly a history of the idea of computing from the 1950s to the new millenium, with Licklider's bio inserted periodically as the connecting tissue. A creative, brilliant polymath, "Lick" was frustrated by t
Hariharan Gopalakrishnan
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review on re-read:
At once dense and lucid, this is a spectacular story of how computers got to where they are today. This is an expansive book, and it touches upon more than a dozen researchers and engineers (spending considerable amount of time with each) whose work has brought us the modern computer system and internet.
It starts from the 1930s (Norbert Weiner, Von Neumann, Turing, Shannon , UNIVAC, ENIAC, the people at the MIT Rad Lab etc.) and goes up to the early 1990s (Tim Bernes Lee, NSFNe
Michael Siliski
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A vivid retelling of the birth of modern computing

The Dream Machine traces the birth of modern computing, primarily focusing on the 1940s through the 1970s, but reaching back all the way to the 1920s and looking forward into the 1990s. (It was written in the late 90s.) It’s central scaffolding is the story of J. C. R. Licklider, a visionary psychologist and computer scientist who played a key role in evangelizing, funding, and realizing interactive computing. In particular, through his work at A
Bruce
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a splendid, if long, book about the development of the personal computer, starting just after World War Two. Many brilliant individuals got involved over the years, sometimes working independently, often eventually joining others in a team -- many teams over time, at many places around the world, including a number of universities and other labs.

JCR Licklider had the knack of bringing together brilliant, talented people to accomplish great things, even what sometimes seemed impossible.
Michael Dubakov
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
🐝 The Dream Machine by M. Mitchell Waldrop #book
J.C.R. Licklider is quite unknown outside US. It's a pity, since he influenced computers evolution enormously. As a head of ARPA he put money into many obscure research groups, thus literarily emulating VC in 60s!

He did not like to write papers and books, but loved to invent things, talk to people and share ideas. And he had many.

This is an overview of the whole computer industry from 50s to 90s. And this is good and bad at the same time.

Positiv
Alex Rawitz
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A truly incredible book in its detail, narrative, and scope. It gets a little slow at times, but the the way Waldrop follows the threads of the development of computers from their primordial moments to the not so distant past is a masterclass. Waldrop spares no angle and detail, telling us about the lives and emotions and dreams of the people who shaped the technology that permeates our world.

One of the seminal ideas that sticks with me: computers were for a long time considered to be very larg
Elijah Oyekunle
The computing revolution, as we know it, usually dates from Paul Allen (RIP, Paul) seeing the Altair in a magazine, and Boom! PC Dead! Mainframes.
However, this book tells the story of the idea itself, that is computing. Interactivity was the spirit of the PC revolution and a few people were the enablers of an environment where creativity could foster, and one of them was J.C.R. Licklider.
Reading about the Internet, one always just heard that first there was something called Arpanet and then Tim
Michiel Appelman
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, technology
As a long time enthusiast and professional in the computer/networking world, it is a shame that I have only read this extensive account now. I did know about Doug Engelbart's demo in 1968 and how it already included most of the concepts we currently take for granted in using computers, but reading about Lick and his vision, and how it developed was truly exciting. His insights and apparent dedication in fulfilling this dream are admirable.

Because the story features so many people and names, pers
Quinton Weenink
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A truly fascinating description of the creation of Computer Science and the Personal Computer.

While the book's objective is to describe J. C. R. Licklider's contributions to Computer Science it contributes so much more. Not only does it include the huge contributions of all the people who worked under Lick but other huge Computer Science rockstars of the time: John von Neumann, Douglas Engelbart, Robert E. Kahn, John McCarthy, etc.

While M. Mitchell Waldrop describes in detail the individual deve
James Voorhees
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
M. Mitchell Waldrop has written a history of the idea of personal computing from the ideas developed by Vannevar Bush. Norbert Wiener, Claude Shannon, and Alan Turing in the 1930s and 1940s through to Jobs, Gates, and Berners-Lee in the 1990s. He uses the career of J.C.R. Licklider--remarkable in his own right--to hold the story together.

It is a remarkable tale, and those of us who think seriously about computers would do well to learn it. many of the concepts and approaches that have made compu
Larry Gundy
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great book. Looking back, I experienced punch cards in 1972 on IBM 360. Then programmed in assembler language on a Honeywell 120 in 1975. 40 boot, 40 boot, run, run, run, initiated the card reader. A fellow teacher brought in his Altair in the late 70’s. I bought a Radio Shack color computer in 1980. It required a specific RS cassette tape recorder for storing and loading Basic programs. The Honeywell was replaced by a DEC 11/34 and then a DEC 11/70, then a DEC VAX 780. Our first PC ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Stubborn Attachments: A Vision for a Society of Free, Prosperous, and Responsible Individuals
  • The Soul of a New Machine
  • The Revolt of the Public and the Crisis of Authority
  • High Growth Handbook
  • Secrets of Sand Hill Road: Venture Capital and How to Get It
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • How Asia Works: Success and Failure in the World's Most Dynamic Region
  • Creative Selection: Inside Apple's Design Process During the Golden Age of Steve Jobs
  • A Mind at Play: How Claude Shannon Invented the Information Age
  • Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age
  • Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture
  • Golden Gates: Fighting for Housing in America
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • The Bitcoin Standard: The Decentralized Alternative to Central Banking
  • Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed
  • Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
  • How the Internet Happened: From Netscape to the iPhone

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Through feedback, said Wiener, Bigelow, and Rosenblueth, a mechanism could embody purpose.

Even today, more than half a century later, that assertion still has the power to fascinate and disturb. It arguably marks the beginning of what are now known as artificial intelligence and cognitive science: the study of mind and brain as information processors. But more than that, it does indeed claim to bridge that ancient gulf between body and mind—between ordinary, passive matter and active, purposeful spirit. Consider that humble thermostat again. It definitely embodies a purpose: to keep the room at a constant temperature. And yet there is nothing you can point to and say, "Here it is—this is the psychological state called purpose." Rather, purpose in the thermostat is a property of the system as a whole and how its components are organized. It is a mental state that is invisible and ineffable, yet a natural phenomenon that is perfectly comprehensible.

And so it is in the mind, Wiener and his colleagues contended. Obviously, the myriad feedback mechanisms that govern the brain are far more complex than any thermostat. But at base, their operation is the same. If we can understand how ordinary matter in the form of a machine can embody purpose, then we can also begin to understand how those three pounds of ordinary matter inside our skulls can embody purpose—and spirit, and will, and volition. Conversely, if we can see living organisms as (enormously complex) feedback systems actively interacting with their environments, then we can begin to comprehend how the ineffable qualities of mind are not separate from the body but rather inextricably bound up in it.”
0 likes
“Nonetheless, his vision of high technology’s enhancing and empowering the individual, as opposed to serving some large institution, was quite radical for 1939—so radical, in fact, that it wouldn’t really take hold of the public’s imagination for another forty years, at which point it would reemerge as the central message of the personal-computer revolution.” 0 likes