Start by marking “Search Patterns: Design for Discovery” as Want to Read:
Search Patterns: Design for Discovery

Search Patterns: Design for Discovery

What people are saying about Search Patterns

"Search Patterns is a delight to read -- very thoughtful and thought provoking. It's the most comprehensive survey of designing effective search experiences I've seen." --Irene Au, Director of User Experience, Google

"I love this book! Thanks to Peter and Jeffery, I now know that search (yes, boring old yucky who cares search) is
Published February 2nd 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Search Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Search Patterns

Tomas
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm really confused by this book. I've expected professional book full of search patterns but I've got inconsistent mix of patterns and fairytales. Sometimes it goes straight to the point, sometimes it describes things so generally that you read 2 pages and still don't know what it wants to tell you. It starts with comix narrative but it disappears somewhere and gets back at the end.
Emily
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
A concise book on search patterns, with lots of well-chosen illustrations. I liked the way the authors show how search blends into everything we do online, and they certainly give plenty of credit to librarians (a nice touch). There are a few diagrams that seemed nonsensical and jargony (or at least unilluminating) but on the whole the authors get some big points across clearly and quickly. Whether this will actually be applicable for me remains to be seen--how easy would my life be if I were pr ...more
Szymon
Jan 30, 2010 added it
The future isn’t just unwritten—it’s unsearched
David Rosen
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.0 out of 5 starsHighly Useful for PR Pros Doing SEO

In media relations, you study the anthropology of journalism to understand how reporters think. What's the corollary for search engines? This book. Moving several steps beyond SEO, it takes you into the minds of how the people who create search engines think. And given how fast moving, barrier-breaking and startlingly important their field is, it's a very good read indeed. Given all the graphics, it's best to read this either in print or on th
Jacinta
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good stuff, covered exactly what I was looking for aka agreed with me.
Graham Herrli
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: design-related
This book's excess of rhetorical mumbo-jumbo belies its valuable message that search is being (and should continue to be) reinvented to move beyond the constraints of the conventional search box.

For example, when reading it I had the idea of combining a search box with a social network...a phone-a-friend-like concept, where each person has tags of personal knowledge and the search suggests sending a message. (A hundred pages later, I discovered that such a search already exists as Aardvark.)

You
Giuseppe Pizzimenti
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book makes a good job in cataloguing and exploring a wide range of search applications - from the most notorious generalistic search engines to some peculiar, more specialistic,services - , and above all , in expliciting the human behaviours that trigger the search and the approval (or disapproval!) of results by the users.

At the same time, the authors try to give a perspective to the future of search, from the starting point of the actual, most evoluted implementations, such some of the ne
George Grigalashvili
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pretty much impressed and will read it few more times again!

EXPERIENCE DISCOVERY:
"The Coming Age of Magic" by Mike Kuniavsky:

"I mean enchanted objects. What I'm proposing is a metaphorical relationship between magic and portable, network-aware, information processing objects that is analogous to the relationship between office supplies and computer screens in the desktop metaphor. I am explicitly not advocating pretending that technology is a kind of magic or lying about how technology works, b
DWRL Library
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As a general introduction to the theory and practice of online search capabilities, this book covers the why, how and what’s what of search functions and interfaces in a cross-disciplinary way, including examples of search patterns for inspiration and analysis. Those interested in learning or teaching online research methods or information architecture might find this a good place to start for insight how search functions influence how people see, navigate and interact with digital texts.
Amy
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-design
Morville provides a poetic overview of discovery tools that are implemented today and offers a couple thought-provoking scenarios of search in the future. The chapter on "engines of discovery" was a huge let down though, being almost an extension of a previous chapter with some random specific implementations Morville decided to toss in. Aside from that, a very good read if one is considering different methods of search.
Sibyl
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty engaging overall. Some of the writing was a little distracting - too much flair which detracted from the substance rather than added to it. There were also lots of references, especially in analogies, to things that aren't necessarily common knowledge. I did appreciate how the tone was inspiring rather than simply factual. You can tell the authors are passionate on the subject.
Alexander Debkaliuk
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Just like the title suggests, this book is a collection of patterns. Authors give little practical advice on when to use this or that one, sticking with basic descriptions and musings on what's possible search-wise in the future.
Adam
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great introduction. Many things will be familiar, though you might not have a name for them until he gives you one. It's not earth-shattering stuff but it is a great place to start if you're designing something.
Caroline Gordon
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice book about design of search user interfaces and offers many different patterns and ideas to use. It is probably more useful for UI designers but as we are all using so many search interfaces every day it is interesting to read more about them and where they may be going in the future.
Sejal Kotak
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very easy read on search patterns!
Kumanan Murugesan
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow. the search domain is just 10 years old. very interesting and easy read.
Truong Binh
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simple idea, good present
Darin Stewart
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very nice introduction and overview of the general issues and challenges of search. Not a deep read in any sense, but a good launching pad to explore the challenges of findability.
Erin
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This will aid my lifelong dream of becoming a "user experience" worker for Google. This is all about design, interface, technology, and researching. Pure genius, simply pure genius.
Dainius Jocas
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of interesting stuff.

It would be great to read a bit more recent edition of this book. Because now examples (e.g. iPhone 3GS) seems a bit outdated.
Hunter Johnson
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed Morville's "Ambient Findability". This was not quite as good for me; too much survey of the landscape in too short a work. But still one of my favorite topic spaces.
Kaja
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Pervasive Information Architecture: Designing Cross-Channel User Experiences
  • Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals
  • Paper Prototyping: The Fast and Easy Way to Design and Refine User Interfaces
  • CSS3 For Web Designers
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Peter Morville is a pioneer of the fields of information architecture and user experience. He's been helping people to plan since 1994. Clients include AT&T, Cisco, eBay, Harvard, IBM, Macy's, the Library of Congress, and the National Cancer Institute. He has delivered keynotes and workshops in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. His work has been covered by Business Wee ...more