Start by marking “Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)” as Want to Read:
Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)

Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)

Nearly five years after the first edition of this book exploded on to the market, noted software engineering guru and the father of Extreme Programming (XP)Kent Beck provides a fresh look at this controversial topic. XP remains themost popular agile methodology in software development, and many believe itis ideal for small to mid-size development organizations. However, XP ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 224 pages
Published November 16th 2004 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published October 5th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Extreme Programming Explained, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extreme Programming Explained

Start your review of Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
Mark Seemann
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: software
While I've been aware of extreme programming (XP) for decades, I've never really subjected myself to a comprehensive review of its practices and techniques. As far as I could tell, it involves test-driven development, team co-location, pair programming, and possibly a few other practices.

In recent years, Agile software development has become such a washed-out term that it's no longer useful if you want to communicate how to develop software. Scrum is more well-defined, but I no longer feel align
Ondrej Sykora
An explanation of the extreme programming methodology. The main thesis of the book is that it does not make sense to try and predict things that can't be predicted. Instead, Kent Beck proposes a methodology that embraces changes instead of fighting them or trying to predict everything into detail. The main points of the methodology are:
- pair programming - all code is written in pairs (on a single computer); this leads to a higher quality of code being written, as the person who is not writing h
Sergey Teplyakov
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
Kent Beck is one of the most influential person in our industry. Patterns, refactoring, TDD, XP. Our industry would never be like what we know it without him. His pragmatic view is awesome, his experience is tremendous.

But I think that this book is just a good one. Just good, but not great. Kent is concise, focused and very deep. But I think he left too much on the reader. Maybe this is just my personal perspective, but I felt that I've missed design consideration from the first edition of this
Jean Tessier
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
eXtreme Programming 2.0.

Actually, it's a complete rewrite of the first edition.

Actually, it's more like reinventing XP. Kent Beck is adjusting XP so we can benefit from his additional five years of XP experience. The first XP was squarely aimed at programmers; this new version should appeal to everyone involved in software development. The practices have been updated: some have been dropped, some are new. He recommends a much more gradual introduction if you want to move to XP, instead of the st
miki albert
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
subjectively: i feel like this book is straight to the point, without absolutist claims. It provides a nice thinking framework, and clarifies the knowledge i may already had by putting it into a clear framing.

Objectively, to me it provided
- some very clear (pain)points which can be frequently missed in how the team works and communicates, on how it applies some processes, and how it does its work on a daily basis

- a very good preliminary toolbox from which I can draw ideas on how to handle all
Imran Ariffin
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a novice programmer who hasn't had much experience working in a team, much less working in a team that practices XP, I think this book introduced me to a lot of things on real team project management as a programmer as well as a manager, as much as the book does in introducing me to XP itself.

The explanations are really easy to understand and sometimes fun, especially in the early chapters. I really like the steering-a-car analogy on how a development process should be done.

However, again as
Mya
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
I decided to read this book because I was working with a team where "the usual" practices didn't seem to be helping in their context. I am so glad I did! So many nuggets of wisdom and new ideas to try, especially in the more technical space. I'm a Scrum Master, so there were some (very few) areas where Scrum/XP didn't really align, however, they seemed largely complementary. (Which isn't surprising seeing as both are founded on the Values and Principles of the Manifesto for Agile Software Develo ...more
Toni Tassani
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: safari
The book is not "only for software engineers" or "a technical book" as some think, but a reflection on a full methodology. XP has remained as the technical complementary part of other so-called agile methodologies that obviate that code has to be built, but started with the intention of being complete.
After reading the book now I see how Kent thought about planning, estimate, prioritise and maintain the pace, always focusing on the coding part of the equation, but taking into account the busines
Darryl
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Although I didn't always agree with the author's conclusions, I loved this book. The five-star score is a rating of the book, not XP itself. The book does a wonderful job of tieing practices back to principles and values. XP practices and the reasoning behind them are explained in enough detail that you can work them into your teams starting now. I think this is the book's main goal, and it has been reached.

The book is not without flaws. The author makes a number of assumptions about people and
Anton Antonov
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read if you want to be a developer that solves business, organization and software problems.

Being able to notice, analyze and solve problems outside the code base is part of software engineering.

"Extreme Programming Explained" is the right book for anyone to learn how to do that.

I found every chapter immensely useful although I may have read most of the values and principles in other books or blog posts. The XP scaling and roles is something that the book explained better.

The book chapters
David Workman
A very good read that introduces the topic of Extreme Programming extremely well.

This book does a great job of conveying the practices, principles and values of XP to its target audience. Its style should be familiar to those who have read Kent Beck's other books - it gets right to the point, doesn't repeat itself very much and is split into chapters where they make sense without any artificial bloating of chapters to make them 'the right size' (several chapters are only 2 sides, for example).

It
Kristina
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good book that is explaining the main principles, practices and values of Extreme Programming (XP) that makes the software development faster and brings excellence and good quality to the end product. The examples are simple, the book is easy for reading and is inspiring. The main core in the process of XP are pair programming, test driven development, incremental design, deployment and planning, work separated in development cycles and customer interaction. The team aim to achieve perfect ...more
Nicholas
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Interesting read even if you don't know anything about coding. Don't let the lack of quotes belie this book. There was nothing that jumped off the page but it was all good. Short and too the point too.

Quotes:

"One way a test can pay off is when a test works that you didn't expect to work. Then you better go find out why it works, because the code is smarter than you are."
Neville Ridley-smith
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, technical
I read parts of this many years ago and I decided to give it a thorough read-through. Even though it's the first edition, it's still interesting. Agile (mostly Scrum) has definitely developed further from these ideas but the basics are here. And there are plenty of good reminders too. Gets a bit hand-wavy at times but I can overlook that.
Eduards Sizovs
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book describes many believes in software development I hold.

In the world of silver bullets, buzzwords and markitecture, this book has become more relevant than never. A fundamentally important book on how software should be delivered – values, principles, and practices.

It not only covers technical aspects of XP but also often forgotten ones, like courage and respect.
Kim Mens
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
An easy read and a very influential book as so many of Kent Beck's ideas. I recently found a nice blog about this book as well : http://blog.8thlight.com/uncle-bob/20... ...more
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I am an engineering manager who has been working on converting my team to more agile methodologies in the last year. In reading about agile, Extreme Programming also is frequently mentioned, so I thought it behooved me to go to the source and learn what XP is actually about.

On the plus side, the book does a good job on clearly laying out the values, principles, and practices of Extreme Programming. I feel that I have a more clear idea in my head of what is meant by this term, and how it relates
Scott J Pearson
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book helped change the way that software development is generally practiced, from the leadership to the programmers, from the business to the design. It is important to note that this book has been delivered in two very different editions. The first edition in 1999 set the direction while the second edition in 2005 brought insight out of several years of experience in an updated text.

What’s so “extreme” about Extreme Programming? First, it advocates a practice called “pair programming” – pr
Tu
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book about doing software development well. You may think it's a bit old, but its core concepts are still valuable. I believe it's still more suitable now then when it's released. Changes are happening in everywhere and every industries, embracing changes is the answer to our survival and growth.

Many people talk about Agile, CI/CD, Iteration, Incremental development ... but not sure they truly know path on doing those. Not sure they know about the values, principles and especially, the pra
Philippe Fanaro
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't really decide between 4 and 5 stars. But, surprisingly, the bibliography changed my mind. I'm always looking for good book recommendations, and those are really amazing. Beck not only listed good books, but also gave them short descriptions.

Anyway, despite being named extreme, there is only very reasonable and common-sensical teachings inside this work, which isn't criticism to it but rather to those who attack it for being "extreme". Beck chose the term because its opposite would seem
Patrick Coakley
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-read-again
While I feel like there were some interesting points, I think this book was probably a lot more useful 10 years ago than it is now. As I don't have any industry experience, I can't truly say how much of it is truly applicable today. It just feels like some of the reasoning behind Extreme Programming just doesn't hold up as well anymore. However, I did like how Kent Beck explains the iterative design principles behind XP, such as the "driving a car" analogy. You can definitely pick up some great ...more
Alan
Well written book. The best reference to XP values, principles and practices.

Do not try to predict what is not predictable. Change the way you work to embrace change instead of trying to predict everything in detail and avoid frustration. Work at a sustainable pace.

XP certainly has changed the way our industry thinks about software development. I am happy to see that most of the practices described in the book are now part of the daily life of our industry. TDD, CI, CD, patterns, refactoring, pa
Srikanth
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have heard about XP being referenced many times in articles and podcasts. So I had to read this for myself.

It's gives me the same feeling whenever I read about any technology history book, although this is not history per se but it's really full of it, that most of the problems I grapple with aren't new.

I have taken lots of notes and I do have lot of things to share. I will be doing that in a blog post.

The book itself is not completely timeless, it does giveaway the feeling of "past its tim
Dmitry Berezhnoy
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oreilly
This book is tiny enough to finish in one go (though I did read it slowly one paragraph at a time).
It offers a framework of values, principles, and practices, that enables more efficient software development and better communication.
At the same time, the author does not dictate which tools must be used or how much time should be dedicated to certain activities.
Instead, the book offers a number of stories that provide a better idea of when and how the framework can be applied.
Personally, I was fa
Eyal Baruch
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home
I enjoyed reading the book. However, I am not sure that I 100% agree with all that is in the book.
I think that there are cases in which you cannot have a deployable SW at the end of each sprint. Consider the case of changing the operation system. Yes - you can take a flow at a time and get it to work. But before you deploy to production you would need to have feature parity to the current version. This is why you would need to work in branching for sometime.
I also like that the author acknowledg
Marcin Golenia
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read it 15 years after release, so 15 years too late. After so much time the book is not so innovative but 15 years ago and 20 years ago (first edition) it was visionary. I could not give it less because I was late :)
The book is easy to read, highly inspiring and well organised. It leads you from values through practices and principles to roles and more insightful chapters like Designing: The Value of Time - which was and still is so much needed in our industry. The mention about TPS stole my
Gonzalo Gómez Sullain
If you were already in contact with agile frameworks, it might not add new things, although will put all the ideas, concepts and values aligned. It will sort the core ideas behind titles.
For everyone trying to make a shift in his/her software development approach mindset, is a a mandatory book. This book is the root, and since it is the second edition, it also explains how the seed idea came up and evolved since the initial iteration.
For me it consolidated the concepts spread around, and allowe
Kory
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for work as it's the methodology they have used since they started and it's worked out very well for them. There's a lot that should be natural for people, like pair programming, it should be always required but a more pragmatic approach works well. Doing it when it makes sense. some things will be hard at first, like TDD, it's very rarely taught in school and I don't think a lot of places actually do it.

There should always be food.
Sudhanshu
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's about how to embrace changes happening in environment .
Environment always change you have to make your system flexible enough to adapt that change easily.
This book explains about how values , principles and practices are connected to each other.
It pushes more in terms of applying XP as a whole which includes everyone business , customers , QA s, devs .
Importance of incremental change according to the environment.
Leo Maslovs
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book reminded me of ”Clean code” by Robert C. Martin. It feels and energizes the same way: it is very simple yet not simplistic, brief yet thoughtful, does not force the way but gives a map and educates about trajectories.

The book gives you a practical start, but most importantly, it sets a gold standard for what XP development should really be about: your values, attitude, collaboration, and respect.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Dreaming in Code: Two Dozen Programmers, Three Years, 4,732 Bugs, and One Quest for Transcendent Software
  • Clean Agile: Back to Basics
  • The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »