Start by marking “Limit” as Want to Read:
Limit

Limit

Mai 2025: Die Energieversorgung der Erde scheint gesichert, seit die USA auf dem Mond das Element Helium-3 fördern. Bahnbrechende Technologien des Konzerngiganten Orley Enterprises haben die Raumfahrt revolutioniert, in einem erbitterten Kopf-an-Kopf-Rennen versuchen Amerikaner und Chinesen, auf dem Trabanten ihre Claims abzustecken.

Während der exzentrische Konzernchef Jul
Published October 5th 2009 by Kiepenheuer & Witsch (first published October 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Limit, please sign up.

Start your review of Limit
Tamahome
from "kar" on io9:

"I already read this one (it has been translated in Dutch a number of years ago) and I can really recommend this one. I would say it's a bit like peter F hamilton's commonwealth but without the long detailed descriptions. I just realised I haven't finished this book yet. Schatzing is one of my favourite writers so I am always afraid to have nothing left of him to read."

Can't find the book in Goodreads without the 2 dots over the a in his last name. Lame Goodreads search strikes
Daniel
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Daniel by: Katharina
(for GERMAN language)
Wow, this book is amazing. I have never read The Swarm until today, but after reading this book, I am willed to have a look at it.

Limit plays around year 2025. The oil giants are breaking into pieces, because the moon is the new energy-resource with its Helium-3 saturated surface.

Sure, in the beginning (nearly one third of the really thick book) the plot is veeery boring. But after this everything becomes amazing! First all characters get introduced and the current state of
Günther
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
boring, long winded with a few intresting concepts and a plot that moves at glacial speed - but without the grace.
Sadie
What a big book this was. It started out slow-ish - not really slow, but because Schätzing has to introduce so much (a cast of 100+ characters, a world we don't know (yet), places we might never see, at least not like this, dynamics between people, countries, societies), it just takes a loooong time for the actual action to start. And once it starts, it's very visual and fast and exciting, making the reader wonder if this is still a book or rather a script draft for Michael Bay.

I like Schätzing
Lieven Baert
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
+1000 pages... less then 500 would have been more than sufficient.
a pitty for Schätzing and his publisher as a some of his SF ideas are really interesting.
Pony Cannon
Oct 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unreadable
Rather than the German language version of this book, I read an English language translation. I don't know how good the translation is, how true to the original it is, or what the literary standards of the German language are.

This book is hard work, it is a really big book, over an thousand pages, but I feel that the useful words in this book probably only cover half of that, maybe less.

What does this mean? Frank Schätzing needs a good editor.

There is far too much pointless exposition in this bo
Mary
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Whew! Limit is a long read about 1400 pages, and as many characters as a 19th Century Russian novel.

Lots of action. Really part thriller and part science fiction. Without giving away too many spoilers, here's the plot. Julian Orley, in the Warren Buffet Really, Really, Rich Club, has invented a space elevator that makes it economical to move Hydrogen-3 (a mineral/oil/gas replacement source found on the moon)to earth. He and his daughter Lynn design a hotel for the rich and famous on the moon.

Th
Dean Peake
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a loooong book. But every page worth it. A huge cast of characters all play into a very intriguing story about possible sabotage on a helium 3 mining operation on the moon in the 2020s. or is it directed at the first hotel on the moon? or possibly the space elevator that will lend transport to both space tourists AND the Helium to earth. The story and considerable action spans multiple countries including China, America, Africa, Germany and Canada.

There is a lot going on between the boo
Renske
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still wondering how much I should 'punish' this book for the first +/- 400 pages. Sure, luxury hotels are interesting, especially when they're on the moon. But 400 pages?! A very, very slow start of this book in my opinion. But then, the airbikes appeared. And I fell in love with Owen, Yoyo and Tian. After that, the book was exciting, suspenseful and a real pageturner. Moreover, I learned a lot about (living on) the moon, space travel, the energy industry, future scenarios, (the history of) Chin ...more
Valeer Damen
Jun 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Schätzing is a great storyteller. I was very impressed by the first three quarters of the book. As in 'Der Schwarm', he is good at mixing fact and fiction, explanation and plot. He is also very good at switching between plot lines, and he pulls some nice tricks that show he understands what you can do with writing (and probably couldn't do in film).

Nevertheless, I think the last guarter marred the book a little. It seems that at some point, the plot gets just a little bit lost in the action. And
Kevin Greaves
Jan 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have indicated I 'read' this book but I actually gave up. Got half way through and then read a synopsis on the 'net and considered my time to read too precious to waste. This guy needs an editor. Wave after wave of information dumps. Hordes of characters. I was really looking forward to a good meaty sci-fi novel so this was a huge disappointment. I bought it in ebook form so if I'm stranded on a deserted island one day and have read every label available, I may start it up again.
Gabriela
Oct 25, 2009 rated it liked it
5 stars for the awesome scientific research, great suspense suspense and a good idea
2 stars for the characters...nearly all of the "space tourist" acted childish and had verbal fights like you would expect highschoolers to fight
Michael
The plot is good but too much details which makes it boring to read. I think I will stop to read it half the way or jump to the last 10 pages.
Andy Bulkley
Feb 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
book drags on and on and on... no idea where it is going... Finally stopped reading after 250 pages.
Arnaud
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
short of a 5 stars for the long narrative in space and on the moon at first. the pace picks up about 200 pages in, and from there it's a success :-)
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Limit by Frank Schatzing focuses on three different stories set in 2025 in one massive book.

The first story is a science fiction space opera set on the moon. Orley Enterprises opens up the first resort and hotel, the Gaia, on the moon. Wealthy guests arrive by a space elevator for a vacation compliments of owner Julian Orley, who hopes his guests will be impressed enough to invest in his company and the expansion of a second space elevator. In addition to the luxurious accommodations, the space
Jonkonfui
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit disappointed by this book. Mixed feelings. I must admit that the book is well written and even the most unappealing parts are easy to follow.
The first 400 pages are a bit tedious since the author focuses on setting the foundations for his story, those 400 pages are mostly focused on the moon from every possible angle (physics of the moon, geography of the moon, history of travels to the moon). Summarizing, too much moon!!. However not being myself an expert on the moon and not having any
Tony Calder
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
At 1150+ pages in trade paperback size, this is a seriously chunky book. Written in 2012 and set in 2025, the author has done a pretty good job of giving us a believable near future. He has obviously put a lot of thought into potential scientific and political outcomes, and most of what happens in the story is well within the realms of possibility. Although, when writing about the near future, evolving events will obviously play out differently in some areas - a cameo appearance by David Bowie b ...more
Gabi
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first space elevator connects the Earth to the Moon, prompting a breathless race between the Americans and Chinese to get to the Moon's helium-3 - the rare element that promises to solve all the world's energy problems.
In Shanghai, cyber-detective Owen Jericho has been hired to find Yoyo, a missing girl, but what started as a routine investigation soon develops into a nightmarish hunt. There's a crazed assassin hot on his heels, all because Yoyo accidentally stumbled onto a secret society ca
Naiara
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I gave it one star and catalogued as "read" although I couldn´t make it past page 700. This book gets a very special honor: being the only book I have never been abe to finish reading. I liked the previous book from this writer (The swarm) and I like science-fiction so the plot seemed interesting to me. What a big disappointment.
The writer introduces tons of characters in a very superficial way. I didn´t connect to any of them since they all lack depth. I can see Schätzing did a lot of research
Dea
Jan 02, 2020 marked it as abandoned
Chapter one was great, really got me hooked. Chapter two was boring, to the point where I did not care to keep reading.

I get it, the locked room murder mystery, which I assume this book was going to become, requires an introduction of a whole bunch of characters so the readers could have as many suspects as possible. I was willing to go through the monotony of introduction of two dozen people whose names I wold forget a page later, until I realized just why they were so forgettable. The most no
Tsikalakis Spyros
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Maybe a rating closer to 3,5/5. This was a way too slow starter: while trying to fully depict environs-world backstory-character backstory, Schäching could really have been more succint in all this. On the other hand, after the first third or maybe the first half of the book even, the action takes a frantic pace, with cascading plot twists. In overall, nice read after some point
Bassie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katrina Ann
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Really interesting book, the extent to which his imagination and extensively researched storyline mirrors our current society is nothing short of amazing. It dragged slightly in the middle with a lot of back story but overall it was a fantastic read.
Sabrina Lugetti
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
a lot of unnecessary pages, character, plots, subplots, cliffhangers, gunshots, deads and everything lead to the most average finale I ever read. It took me almost 1 year to finish it and I'm used to long books and sci-fi.
Arved
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
too many people introduced in too little time. got confused a lot about who's who. but still a good schätzing book.
Michael Groncki
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this kind of science fiction thriller.
Larissa
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Great story and good background information. But way too long. The same story with half as much pages and less unnecessary deaths of secondary cahracters would have been fantastic.
Matthias
Very well researched book, always at the edge of current research. Well done!
Ibara-Hime
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I read that book but I can remember that I found it quite entertaining. Nothing mind-blowing as his best-work-ever (The Swarm), but good enough to have 4 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• ZERO
  • Blackout
  • Herr aller Dinge
  • Helix: Sie werden uns ersetzen
  • Herr Sonneborn geht nach Brüssel - Abenteuer im Europaparlament
  • The Girl Who Wasn't There
  • QualityLand
  • Die Känguru-Chroniken. Ansichten eines vorlauten Beuteltiers (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #1)
  • Die Känguru-Offenbarung (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #3)
  • Das Känguru-Manifest (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #2)
  • Das Leben gestalten mit den Big Five for Life: Das Abenteuer geht weiter (The Big Five for Life 2)
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
  • Ausgebrannt
  • Measuring the World
  • The Pillars of Rome (Republic, #1)
  • Passagier 23
  • Drone State
  • Das Paket
Schätzing was born in Cologne and studied communication studies; he later ran his own company, an advertising agency named INTEVI, in Cologne. Schätzing became a writer in 1990, and penned several novellas and satires. His first published novel was the historical Tod und Teufel in 1995, and in 2000 his thriller Lautlos.

Schätzing achieved his greatest success in 2004 with the science fiction thrill