Start by marking “Морт (Истории от Света на Диска, #4)” as Want to Read:
Морт (Истории от Света на Диска, #4)

Морт

(Discworld #4)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  189,282 ratings  ·  4,842 reviews
Mopт e oбикнoвeнo, дългуpecтo мoмчe, кoeтo cтaвa чиpaк нa Смъpт, нo ce oкaзвa, чe cъвceм нe cтaвa зa нoвитe cи зaдължeния дa извeждa душитe oт тoзи cвят. Кoгaтo въпpocът oпиpa дo кpacивaтa Пpинцeca Кeли, кoятo тpябвa дa бъдe убитa, Mopт изпopтвa цялaтa paбoтa...
Paperback, 1-во издание, 324 pages
Published 1995 by Вузев (first published November 12th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Морт, please sign up.
Mike The following image show all Discworld novels and how they relate. As you can see Mort is a separate series from the Rincewind novels (i.e. The Colour…moreThe following image show all Discworld novels and how they relate. As you can see Mort is a separate series from the Rincewind novels (i.e. The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, etc).

·  189,282 ratings  ·  4,842 reviews

Start your review of Морт (Истории от Света на Диска, #4)
Lyn
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Literarily speaking, Sir Terry Pratchett is one of my best friends.

It’s as though I met Terry Pratchett at a party and we hit it off immediately. You like Monty Python, I LOVE Monty Python! Seinfeld, WHAT???, I’ve seen them all “Art Vandelay, nice to meet you.” No way! What about The Big Lebowski? “How’s the smut business, Jackie?” To which he replied, “I wouldn’t know, Dude.”

Ha!

And so it was with me when I read my first Discworld novel, in this case Mort (#4 on the list). Discworld is Terry Pra
Mario the lone bookwolf
It might be even harder to learn from DEATH than by death, but not that final.

What a setting, hard to say something without spoilering it, but the perfect orchestration and personalities of the 3 main protagonists make the humor and dynamic possible and I would like to know how long it took Pratchett to finetune the inner balance to establish the story twists.

Death, what would make more sense than to laugh about and together with the inevitable skinny buddy, but don´t dare to try to manipulate
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-shelf, humor
Being one of the first and the latest of all the Pratchett reads, I'm really surprised just how much I loved this one. I'm upping the star count to a full five just because I think I liked Mort, the character, even better this time around.

DEATH on DISCWORLD. :) Seriously, there's nothing quite like it. Him. The personification. :) He meddles so much with humanity, tries to get drunk, and hires an apprentice. Not all in that order.

Death is the mewling cat at the party of life. :)

The story is a b
Adrian
This book was so good that if I knew the way to Sheepridge, I’d be heading there next Hogswatch Eve hoping to be chosen as DEATH’s next apprentice 😳

So how does one critique a Terry Pratchett (Sir) book to someone who has never read one, or in these reviews should we just be brief, succinct and to the point. ?

It was funny and good and I enjoyed it, 5 stars .

No, that doesn't do it justice, even if I have given it 5 stars. This book is laugh out loud, want to read the funny bit to someone (anyone)
Matthias
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
This isn't an easy review to write. This has been my first encounter with the Discworld universe and the many writings of Terry Pratchett, and voicing my opinion on it makes me feel like a blundering fool stumbling into a world that was meant for his younger and perhaps wiser self, a world of which he has only caught a glimpse.

Let's start with kicking in an open door. 'Boy', uh, sorry, 'Mort' is a very funny novel. Death, being a wonderfully serious topic, becomes a great source of laughter and
Trish
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introducing: DEATH

Aw, ain't that smile warming your heart? Or is that the adrenaline rush because you, too, just want to get away from him? Severely misunderstood guy, that fellow.
He's a beekeeper, a gardener, cat-lover, admittedly not very good with colours but his shades of black are very original! And he's active too! Never lazy, our protagonist, always riding around on his faithful mount, Binky.

In case anyone was wondering: the scythe is for us normal mortals, whereas royalty gets the deluxe
Luffy
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending surprised me and it was the one that I really wanted to happen. What can I say about Discworld that has never been said before. Nothing, but I need to tell you to read Mort.

Mort is a cataclysmic story of epic proportions. I thought Death(the Discworld character) was going to bite dust, you know? I really don't love every single book in the series. In fact I started and gave up reading Mort a couple of years ago.

So, why do you need to read Mort? Well, it teaches you how to thread a sto
Charlotte May
"There is no justice. There is only me."

Well this was flipping great!
My first step into Terry Pratchett's Discworld (I know right?!)
This one tells the story of a young man called Mort who becomes Death's apprentice, along with all of the tasks and responsibilities that come with it.
This world is so vivid and imaginative, I was completely transported into this weird and wonderful universe with all its characters, including wizards, princesses, Death's daughter and of course Mort and Death himse
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Death is looking for an apprentice to eventually replace him and decides on a young man called Mort. During the course of his training Mort takes a fancy to a young lady. Unfortunately the young lady’s time is up. So that’s that. Or is it? You see, Mort is not so good at following rules…

This is the only Terry Pratchett book I have read so far and it was delightfully whimsical. Sign me up for more please.

YOU ARE HERE SEEKING EMPLOYMENT?
Light dawned on Mort. “You are looking for an apprentice?” he
Ahmad Sharabiani
Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1), Terry Pratchett
Mort is a fantasy novel by British writer Terry Pratchett. Published in 1987, it is the fourth Discworld novel and the first to focus on the character Death, who only appeared as a side character in the previous novels. The title is the name of its main character and also a play on words: in French, mort means "death". The French language edition is titled Mortimer.
As a teenager, Mort has a personality and temperament that makes him unsuited to th
Jokoloyo
I "made a mistake" in my life by reading later works of Discworld (DW) first. By the time I read earliest Discworld stories, the universe feels not fully developed.

Mort is the fourth DW novel, and I see the DW universe, the jokes, and the characters are better developed than the 3 earlier novels (but still not as sophisticated as DW later works). But, there are some good moments: the awkwardness of young people in this novel, and the Death's learning of life.

People including Mort as the first i
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
I’m going to be real with you. I struggled through this and I feel so pressured to finish it because of the cult following it has, but I think that’s it for me.

While reading this, it hit me.. it reminds me so much of the classic book The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland, which I HATE by the way. They have nothing to do with each other, the story isn’t even close to being similar but for some reason the writing and characters remind me of it which was the absolute worst part of Alice for me. The
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY.”

With those simple words Terry Pratchett introduces the complicated fact that on The Disc Death is as much a person as anyone else, only more so.

The fourth Discworld novel is right up there with my favourites, the story of how Death came to take an apprentice and how one gangly, awkward young boy became a strong, confident man is filled with humour and tells the kind of coming of age tale other authors only dream of.

It may not be the best writt
Forrest
In a previous review of Pratchett's The Color of Magic, I speculated that I might have become jaded since high school. I noted that I enjoyed that book, but it was not as hilarious as I had remembered it, initially. There will be no such danger with Mort, meaning, I probably won't be re-reading it. Again, this one was funny, but not hilarious, and more cutesy than clever.

Still, it has its moments, the best of which, I thought, was the interchange between the Sun Emperor and his Grand Vizier, a g
Audrey
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one! I think Death is automatically a favorite character in the Discworld world, and he finally gets his own book. He picks up an apprentice (Mort) to help with the soul-collecting business and takes advantage of the opportunity to try out some popular human pasttimes, such as drinking, gambling, partying, and job hunting. Meanwhile, Mort sort of kind of accidentally-maybe seriously disturbs the fabric of reality.

There are so many funny scenes and lines. The story just flew by. I lo
Rob
Executive Summary: Another great entry in the Discworld series as different from Equal Rites as that book was from the first two.

Full Review
I never expected to marathon the discworld books, but this now makes the third in a row I've read.

This book is the first of the Death books. Death plays a much larger role than he has in the previous books, but for the most part it focuses on his apprentice, Mort.

I found it started a bit slow, and I was pretty indifferent towards Mort. He grew on me by t
Allison
So Terry Pratchett is definitely witty and clever, and I do enjoy his asides when I forget I'm searching for a story in the midst of it. The thing is, each of the three Discworld books I've completed so far took me some effort to get into in spite of appreciating the humor. Because the characters remain caricatures as the humor takes center stage. And I actually find it kind of boring.

It's not until late in each book that I started to be interested in what was actually happening. And the charact
Veronique
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2017, stars-4-0
Discworld Book 4

“Oh. I see. People don't want to see what can't possibly exist.”

Carrying on with my Pratchett education. Although Death appeared in the previous books, this is the one where this rather uncommon character gets more screen time to great effect. I mean it is not every day you see the Grim Reaper hankering for a curry or trying to get drunk and have fun!

Once more, we get a crazy tale of adventure, this time following Mort, gangly, awkward boy, who becomes Death's apprentice. Queue
Stjepan Cobets
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy and humour
When death comes it with his scythe brings the end of life but this time, it came to for his apprentices. His apprentice becomes Mortimer whom everyone calls Mort. Although he is a young man thought it was a great job for him will soon realize that this is not such a simple matter. Apprenticeships at Death is not such an easy task that he expected. The writer and this book make us laugh with silly stories and adventures of Discworld. Very fun book for all fans of weird and funny fantasy world.
Raeleen Lemay
*2.5/5*

I wanted to like this book so much more than I did and I’m mad! It started out really promising for me, as Mort was a super fun character and I loved the early scenes when he’s just meeting Death for the first time and is getting used to the new apprenticeship. I soon became tired of the whole schtick unfortunately and then the book seemed to drag on endlessly. I’ve heard this book is one of Pratchett’s most popular works, so I’m worried I might just not enjoy his writing style (although
Jaya
I've stopped counting the number of times I might have read this particular book

Reading any Pratchett is like meeting old childhood buddies. You might not have been in touch with each other for a long time yet even if you meet them after a decade or more, you feel hardly any time has elapsed.
...and always left with a bit of melancholy, thinking of the goodtimes you had...
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Foremost, this book is hilarious. I mean, all of the Discworld books are very funny, in a very British way, but in Mort I found myself chuckling especially frequently at the dialogue. I wish I had the book in hand at the moment to quote something to support this assertion, but for now I hope you can take my word for it. I don't want to paraphrase from memory because I may not do it proper justice.

I appreciated that the character of Death settled down into the personality and cosmic role that ru
Holly (The Grimdragon)
“There should be a word for that brief period just after waking when the mind is full of warm pink nothing. You lie there entirely empty of thought, except for a growing suspicion that heading towards you, like a sockful of damp sand in a nocturnal alleyway, are all the recollections you'd really rather do without, and which amount to the fact that the only mitigating factor in your horrible future is the certainty that it will be quite short.”

Ah, yes. Why not begin a series that has approximate
Jenny Baker
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for the buddy read Carl!

This is my first experience with Terry Pratchett and I knew I was going to enjoy it! I love his writing style, humor, and his characters. Each character is eccentric in some way, and their personalities both complement and clash with each other. The story was so off-the-wall that I had no idea what was going to happen next, but that made the reading experience so much more enjoyable. I can see myself picking up one of his novels whenever I’m looking for a good laug
Emer (A Little Haze)
So I've decided to dip my toes back into the waters of the utterly bonkers but always hilarious Discworld Series by the late, great Terry Pratchett. I've only read odd books here and there, and certainly have never read the books in order. Honestly I don't have that sort of patience. So instead I prefer to flit in and out focusing more on the books featuring my favourite characters. I tend to find the plots, and even the characters at times, just superfluous to the reading experience! For me it' ...more
Manny
Feb 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review contains major spoilers for the movie Pusher 3

The central joke in Mort is that Death is basically, you know, just a guy doing a job. The other day, I thought of Terry Pratchett's novel for the first time in ages when we saw I'm The Angel of Death , Nicolas Winding Refn's brilliant conclusion to the Pusher trilogy. In the first two movies, we've had several brief encounters with the terrifying Milo, a Serbian kingpin in Copenhagen's underworld. The first film ends with him and his
Gary
Excellent and fun

I just love the characters this author comes up with. Death is a great ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION and Mort, the human he selects as his apprentice, is the perfect replacement. Sort of.
Mort has a hard time filling in for Death when he needs a day off. At least he does once a girl gets involved. There is romance in this as well, sort of. Apparently, not completing the job Death is meant to do has some pretty serious consequences that even a cameo appearance by Rincewind may n
Aoife
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, library
I really enjoyed this Discworld novel which is about a boy called Mort who becomes Death's apprentice and things going a little bit cray-cray. I felt like this had more of a story than the other books, though Equal Rites does have a good plot as well, and i just really enjoyed all the crazy characters as usual but in particular Death. I loved how weird and wonderful he was and how undeath like he was I guess - I will never get the picture of Death in a kitchen with an apron and a whole family of ...more
Patricija - aparecium_libri
My first Pratchett book and it made me fall in love with his writing.
I ordered 5 books instantly.
I loved how old fashioned this book was, all the whimsical feelings got to me really fast. I also loved the whole premise of Death choosing his apprentice. It was easy to follow, and the world building was just great. I also loved the humor and dynamic between the characters.
Olivia
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Of all 4 Discworld novels I've read, this one is my favourite. It's a cute story and Death is definitely a funny and interesting guy. It didn't fully keep my interest though, as the story lags a bit in the middle. The writing style is clever, but the characters feel stilted at times. I've decided to stop reading the Discworld series. I just don't feel the enthusiasm I was hoping I would.
Fox Book Club: Mort 7 170 Apr 27, 2020 02:16AM
Around the Year i...: Mort, by Terry Pratchett 6 82 Jul 04, 2019 04:47AM
Libri Labra Book ...: Sir Terry Pratchett 2 5 Dec 11, 2018 03:21PM
Libri Labra Book ...: Mort *SPOILERS* 2 9 Dec 05, 2018 09:05AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. #95 Mort by Terry Pratchett 1 2 Oct 20, 2018 06:34AM

• Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Guards! Guards!: The Play
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Monstrous Regiment
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Unseen Academicals: Adapted for the Stage
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • Stardust
  • Anansi Boys (American Gods, #2)

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)