Start by marking “The Maiden's Hand (Tudor Rose #2)” as Want to Read:
The Maiden's Hand (Tudor Rose #2)

The Maiden's Hand

(Tudor Rose #2)

Librarian's Note: Reprint of Vows Made in Wine, July 1995, ISBN-13: 9780061081446, ISBN-10: 0061081442

Mistress Lark's sole passion is her secret work with a group of Protesta
Published August 25th 2009 by Mira (first published July 25th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Maiden's Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maiden's Hand

Start your review of The Maiden's Hand (Tudor Rose #2)
Sarah Mac
DNF, pg 50-something. It's just not grabbing me. There's something about the author's prose that puts me off, & I have zero interest in picking this up to attempt more. FORSOOTH, MISTRESS! Yawn. Zzzz. Do not care. ...more
Sara
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Having read the third book prior to books one & two, some of the suspense was removed for me. I knew that Lark and Oliver would end up happy in their marriage, and I knew that their baby would be a daughter named Phillipa. However, there was still much that was a surprise. The source of Phillipa's name, for instance, was a touching moment not far from the end of the book. The whys and wherefores of Oliver and Lark coming together as a couple, and Oliver learning to be an adult rather than contin ...more
Kristine
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked this book better than the first one. Oliver is charming and funny and the way he is with Lark is completely endearing. Lark is a great character too. She gives Oliver a run for his money, and for a man like Oliver it's not something he's used to. She throws him for a loop time and time again...and I loved it!

One warning though...DO NOT READ THE BACK OF THE THIRD BOOK!! There are things in the synopsis that ruined this story a little bit.

The Maiden's Hand was certainly an emotional roll
NayNay
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It had strong character, good storyline, playful banter, steamy sex, breath holding scenes. What more can you ask for in a book. I hope the final book in this trilogy is as good as book 1&2. ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
How sneaky. This is just a reissue of Vows Made in Wine. Don't be fooled if you read that one!
Kimberly Be
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
3.25 -- didn't like nearly as much as I love Wiggs' 19th century romances.
Shirlene
Oliver De Lacey had been hung under the guise of Oliver Lackey. He hadn't known that the hangman had been bribed to lengthen the rope to assure he didn't die for a crime not worthy of the punishment. He was put into a wagon and taken away. When he discovered he had been rescued, his comment to Lacy was to ask if she would have his baby. Oliver was released and cleaned himself up. No longer having a bearded face, he went back to being Oliver De Lacey. He went back to his former lifestyle of gambl ...more
Lisa
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another quick read in large print, The Maiden's Hand by Susan Wiggs is the first romance that I've read by this author, and it was just okay. Set in the final days of the reign of Mary Tudor when England was exploding with religious persecution, Susan Wiggs has crafted a complicated plot as the backdrop for this romance between Lark and Oliver de Lacey, the young lord Lark rescues from near death. Despite her bravery, Lark is a quiet, solemn and studious young woman who finds herself in the mids ...more
Susan
I enjoyed this 2nd book in the trilogy as well as the first. I love the way it begins and the time period it takes place in. It is amazing to me that such religious persecution can take place. It was a fascinating period in time. I am glad I live now instead.

It was interesting to see what became of Oliver although disturbing at times. I found it a bit aggravating when Oliver and Lark choose to interpret each other’s actions rather than talk about their feelings for each other. They then make ch
Lauren
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I find that I get myself invested in these books-I think partly this is due to the fact that I don't enjoy the age, but I also don't like the line-up of characters for the author's trilogy. Father, then son, then son's long-lost daughter. When I read a romance, I like to pretend that the characters find love...and then live forever. This book destroys that notion.

Additionally, there really isn't much of a problem in the story. Yeah, there's royal family twists, but they're almost peripheral to
Tina
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
The first novel in this trilogy was interesting. This one (the secoond), however was just a touch of fluff. The historical references were minimal, and character development lacked. I did piece together the best quote of book one. Juliaana sees an older gentleman holding a bay girl. She inquires "Is this your grand daughter?" he replies "No, she is my wife". This story opens up in book two. Not enough background in my opinion.
Karina
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A great start to a great tril. What I like about Susan Wiggs is that she can incorperate so much into her writing and wrap you up in it. When my sister gave me the books and I started to read them, I couldn't put them down. Finished them all in a week(People need to sleep!)! The writing was beautiful and very humerous and so was her history. Good job, Susan Wiggs!
Rhiannon Root
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Content warning: Violence, capital punishment, sexual violence, racial slurs

I’ll try to keep this brief because there are about 10 other things I should be doing right now, but heck, I’d feel weird not posting a review.

There were a lot of elements I really enjoyed in Susan Wiggs’ “The Maiden’s Hand,” but it’s not quite as cohesive as it could be.

Have you read the first book? Spoilers are coming.

So…Stephen de Lacey’s DEEP DARK SECRET is that his son that everyone thought died as an infant is ver
Liba
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story is set in the last year of the reign of Mary Tudor.
Stephen and Juliana (Book 1:At the king's command/ Circle in the water) have 4 children now, all grown up.Belinda is in love with Kit Youngblood, a young lawyer. She is interested in gunpowder and fireworks.Stephen is an inventor.The other daughter, Natalya, falls in love with Reverend Richard Speed, secretly marries him and goes into exile with him. Then there are the twins, Simon and Sebastian.The latter is, apparently, gay.
And there
Jack Vasen
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I couldn't get into this one, although I have to admit there was plenty of action toward the end. Still, it took too long to get there. I almost gave up a couple of times, but I hate to dnf, so I stuck it out.

I never could see why anyone would want Oliver and it was disappointing to see Stephen's pride from book 1 become a rogue. His devotion to Lark was touching, but not enough.

Lark was not a wonder woman like heroines in other SW books I've read. Despite having courage and intelligence the thi
Jenny Q
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars. (I reviewed the trilogy as a whole on my blog back when I first started and forgot to add it to Goodreads, so forgive me if these reviews seem a bit fragmented.)

Russia, 1533: A gypsy reveals a prophecy of three women, three lives entwined. "I see blood and fire, loss and reunion, and a love so great that neither time nor death can destroy it." The stories that follow revolve around three generations of the de Lacey family, taking place during the reigns of Henry VIII, Mary and Elizabe
Darlene Wilson
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Roguishly handsome Oliver de Lacey has always lived lustily: wine, weapons and women are his bywords. Even salvation from the noose by a shadowy society provides no epiphany to mend his debauched ways.Mistress Lark's sole passion is her secret work with a group of Protestant dissidents thwarting the queen's executions. She needs no other excitement --— until Oliver de Lacey drops through the hangman's door and into her life.As their fates become inextricably bound together in a struggle against ...more
Phylisha Stone
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good historical/love story set during the reign of the Catholic Queen Mary. This book while fiction also reads as nonfiction when it describes the killings, burning at the stake, and the overall poor quality of life for most poor people during that time. The interactions between the H (Oliver de Lacey) and the h (Lark) instilled some light and humor into the story. That time in history was actually quite dark because of the mass executions and imprisoments by Queen Mary. This i ...more
Victoria Iglesias
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I felt more of a connection with Oliver, than with Lark in the second book of this series. Lark was a little too uptight, and hypercritical for me. Her character just didn’t seem believable, or likeable. Oliver’s character was properly developed, and I felt like I had watched him grow and mature. I think Susan did a brilliant job at introducing him in the first book, so we could feel a sense of loyalty to him.
Other than Oliver’s hijinks the book fell a little bit flat to me.
Brenda Theune
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t actually finish this. Life is just too short to keep trying.
Kimberly
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book couldn't hold my attention. I had to jump to the end to make sure it was going to be worth my time to finish. The Epilogue was intriguing, but ... well if I say what was intriguing about the next book in the series and ultimately a disappointment of my HEA requirements for a romance I would be spoiling the next book (which I haven't read and am seriously considering not reading because of the epilogue of this book). The epilogue makes me want to just read the last chapters of the next ...more
Liz
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: henry VIII fans
Recommended to Liz by: self
penelopewanders
Wow, picked this up in a thrift shop during a visit to the States lightyears ago. Don't think I've ever read anything by this author.

Well, this was better than the cover and title led me to believe, or perhaps it was just particularly appreciated as the first book read on (almost) vacation? Hadn't read a novel set in the Henry's time in a while, and enjoyed the pluckiness of the author's tone. Not terribly plausible for protagonists to escape from execution, but hey, this is a romance novel...
Vivianne
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This second novel is very nice but I had to start some time after I had finished reading the other. I do not know why, novels are enjoyable, a lot, but then finished reading, I can not start the next in the trilogy! In this novel, I can still say that I really liked the male lead that I found very very nice, friendly and fun. Does not take itself seriously and interacts with the delightful character! Very cute!
The next is the last I'm curious ... is set in Ireland!
Nancy Brady
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, library-book
The second in the Tudor Rose series, this follows Oliver, the asthmatic child of the first novel, now grown and about to be hung for inciting riots and causing mayhem. Lark and Dr. Snipes save him from the hangman's noose only to get him into deeper trouble in the time of Queen Mary's reign. With this, the romance between Lark and Oliver commences with each having secrets of their own. Will love win out or will both be sent to be burnt as heretics?
Chris
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Oliver de Lacey lived on the edge indulging in wine and women. Being afflicted with asthma since he was a child, Oliver expects his life to end young so why not live it to the fullest. Mistress Lark has a hidden past she strives to repent for. A deathbed pledge entwines their futures.

This is a heartwrenching story of love, forgiveness and acceptance that will bring tears to your eyes.
Lacey Ridenhour
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I like this one. Perhaps not quite as much as the first but a lot. Lark and Oliver were sad characters. Both going against their true natures because they don't think who they really are is good enough. But they brought out the best in each other. I love the historical references and I squealed when Elizabeth was introduced. Lovely read!
Carolyn Tye
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this book better than the first one in the series. My one complaint is the few steamy scenes. My goodness, these writers could just cut and paste the details. It seems like the same words are always used for such scenes. The scenes made me uncomfortable and detracted from the otherwise good story.
Megan
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
I needed a break from reality and the more serious bookclub material I had been reading, and that's exactly what I got. The character development in the book was decent and while the history wasn't the most accurate, it wasn't bad either. I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Ceej
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is the second in a series of books seemingly tied together by a gypsy's prediction. I hope the third one is better because so far, I'm unimpressed though I enjoyed Oliver. I never did get the understanding of why he had a death wish though

• Honor's Splendour
  • An English Bride In Scotland (Highland Brides, #1)
  • Still Life
  • Defy Not the Heart (Shefford's Knights #1)
  • Murder Game (GhostWalkers, #7)
  • Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2)
  • Noble Intentions (Noble, #1)
  • Forbidden Love
  • Silver Angel
  • Noble Destiny (Noble, #2)
  • The Prize
  • The Path to the Sea
  • Dangerous (Reformed Rakes Novella, #2)
  • Captive (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • After the Kiss (Captive Hearts,#2)
  • So Worthy My Love
  • Brave the Wild Wind (Wyoming, #1)
  • Savage Thunder (Wyoming, #2)
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more

Tudor Rose (3 books)
  • At the King's Command (Tudor Rose, #1)
  • At the Queen's Summons (Tudor Rose,  #3)