Start by marking “Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions” as Want to Read:
Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions

Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  470 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
"Want to learn how to create great user experiences on today's Web? In this book, UI experts Bill Scott and Theresa Neil present more than 75 design patterns for building web interfaces that provide rich interaction. Distilled from the authors' years of experience at Sabre, Yahoo!, and Netflix, these best practices are grouped into six key principles to help you take advan ...more
Published (first published December 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Designing Web Interfaces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing Web Interfaces

Tom
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on a set of six clear principles, Designing Web Interfaces shows the reader how to create an engaging web experience. Peppering in quotes from the Apple Human Interface Guidelines, Alan Cooper and others, this volume understands that it stands on the shoulders of giants.

Until I read this book, I did not realize just how much more joy a person can have exploring a well designed site.

I recommend this book to any developer or designer who wants to bring their game from the multi-page Web 1.0
Vladimir Rybalko
It is a good book despite of some patterns look outdated now. Obviously that each front end developer should know about web design. This book will be the great first step.
M.
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
The examples were outdated and the writing style was a bit dry, but it does offer very concrete advice for different scenarios. It's a good reference book.
Jayesh
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well structured book. Principles were introduced in nice and concise manner with illustration that one can relate to. Patterns implementing a principle were then introduced with their own illustrations. It is easy to read through all principles and patterns quickly to get gist of each.
Sean
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent summary of a large number of best practices in web UI design. The practices and techniques are well presented, with a great deal of graphical examples to show each strategy, as well as excellent explanations about what's happening.

This book should be one of the first books that every web developer who does user interface work should buy.
Dhuaine
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
I bought this book because I thought it would be about designing interfaces, aka general information and theory sprinkled with design patterns. Instead, the whole book is just a huge list of wonderfully documented design patterns for web interfaces. The book is divided into sections, each preceded with brief principle/rule. Sections contain chapters, chapters contain descriptions of design patterns. All description follow the same format and are very easy to read; the flow of this documentation ...more
Alessandro Pellizzari
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web, manuali, e
Un'ottima guida con i principali pattern (e anti-pattern) da usare nelle interfacce web. Praticamente tutte le tecniche richiedono javascript, oltre a css2 e html, e il manuale si concentra principalmente sul "movimento" delle pagine web, e non tanto sullo stile e sull'usabilità di pagine statiche. Un ottimo riferimento da tenere sulla scrivania e sfogliare quando si pensa "potrei usare questo effetto grafico", per verificare se l'idea ha controindicazioni o è una pratica usabile. "Solo" 4 stell ...more
Catalina
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written book explaining in both human behavior and UI design/development terms what can be efficient t use when trying to achieve certain goals. Creating interfaces can be a logical and straightforward process, but it requires an intuitive understanding of why certain patterns of behavior are best sustained when we use certain web languages that make interaction fluent and easy.
João Machini
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Interesting book on interface design.
It presents interface patterns such as in-page editing, drag n' drop, animations, contextual tools and overlays, along with tips and examples.

For me, it was useful to establish an archive of possibilities to use on a web application and to provide a common language of web design elements.
Dan
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone building websites
Great collection of design patterns, some of the examples already look dated, but the concepts still very much apply to web design and development today. Great read to get you focused on richer user experience.
Derek
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting to read this book, Its supposed to dive very deep in the subject and provide even insight into the future of interface design. The book is written by Bill Scott who was the genius behind Netflix and Yahoo's interface design.
Jennifer Kyrnin
I learned in reading this book that I like books with more code. This is mostly examples with nice pictures to illustrate them. Read my full review.
Lynne
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: interaction designers, web designers, user interface developers
as most of my user experience/usability career has been in the commercial/industrial/embedded space, I needed to acquire a web vocabulary. I could look at a web page and know that "this is bad" but not know why. The design principles, patterns and examples are excellent.
Heather
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides some great design examples (pros and cons and gotchas of each) - I found it to be both interesting and helpful!
Kris
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical, useful, insightful.
Sashko Valyus
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Досі непогана книга для дизайнерів інтерфейсів, багато хороший прийомів що тут детально описані використовуються досі.
Nikita Fedyashev
Great book for a wide range of users; easy to follow; well-written.

I found an interesting ideas about moving to single page "long-lived" web applications. Will try to involve it in my daily work.
Alvin
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I refer back to this book when I need an idea on how to make an interface shine. There's not too much writing, more examples, and it's great for brainstorming.
Widi
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool for ideas
Hariharan Ragunathan
Though the illustrations in the book are old and pre web 2.0 and pre mobile era, some of the points are valid in mobile interface designing.
John
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Mobile Design Pattern Gallery: UI Patterns for Mobile Applications
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »