Start by marking “Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)” as Want to Read:
Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)

Chicks 'n Chained Males

(Chicks in Chainmail #3)

A collection of post-feminist fantasy featuring feisty female warriors with brass bras and broadswords, and a beltful of good intentions. These wild and wonderful women are here to protect their poor chained males from any number of fates worse than death.
Published May 1st 1999 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Chicks 'n Chained Males, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicks 'n Chained Males

Mandy Beyers
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it
This creative, funny collection of short stories spoofs the famous plotline of damsels in distress by having women warriors of various types rescuing the males in danger that cross their paths. The settings range from ancient Greece to Africa to the core of the earth and all types of situations are created by the authors included in this third "Chicks" anthology. This humorous collection is certainly worth a read.
Bill
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
My top three stories in here that made me laugh at loud whilst reading them over lunch:

"Leg Irons, the Bitch, and the Wardrobe" by Laura Frankos, featuring the invention of the musical comedy and starring a murderous Nora Desmond... in my mind, at least. I loved the touch of Phantom of the Opera, too.

"Baubles, Bangles and Beads" by Kevin Andrew Murphy, featuring transformation, my fave theme which did a nice job of explaining the magical physic of magic use with a nice bit of deductive reasoning
Erin Penn
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every story in this anthology has women in (mostly) armor and a man in needing rescue, usually waiting patiently in chains. Everything is humorous. I preferred the later stories, which were more funny life than funny slapstick. The last three stories made me pause and smile as I finished them. Overall a good selection of the Baen's fantasy/sci-fi author line-up from the nineties.

The quality of writing is fairly consistent as this is a main-line publisher book and not an Indie. Other than the "B
Annie
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny stories that appeal to my feminist side--my favorites were "Leg Irons, the Bitch, and the Wardrobe" by Laura Frankos, a hilarious story about a prima donna princess who can't act and a bodyguard with a theatrical bent, and "Cross CHILDREN Walk" by Esther M. Friesner about a crossing guard who finds her stride by battling dragons and taking down bureaucrats in the town council while restoring the statuses of a schoolgirl and a professor. Oh, I liked them all. Good, fun read.
Frank Taranto
Sep 27, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the second book I've read in this series. Like the first, it was full of fun stories. No greeat literature here, but definitely alot of enjoyment.

Bill
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
The third collection of humorous Amazon stories collectively called the Chicks Ahoy trilogy. A nice change of pace from Honor Harrington (David Weber) or Ky Vatta (Elizabeth Moon). Read Last of the Amazons (Steven Pressfield) for a serious look at the female warriors.
Pam
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
This is a series of short stories. Some I liked some were eh.. The idea of the series is that it's the women who are out there saving the world and not the men. A fun fluffy read but it could have been better.
Benjamin Thomas
Got this as a free download and it definitely proves the axiom..."You get what you pay for." 2 stars is being generous. Just not any good stories here...not bad per se, just seemed to be on a 6th grade level. I like the concept, just not the result.
Kjirsten
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kjirsten by: Sci Fi/Fantasy book club
Fun short stories where the woman saves the day.
Zach, "Gnome" Israel
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A +1 for the tittle.
Nora
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Warped, but hilarious!
Ross
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not really my thing. Some of the stories were entertaining, but I really could have put this book down and never felt the urge to pick it up again, ever.
Carmen
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious takes on traditional sword tales
Heide
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it
A great little collection of short stories. Nothing overly remarkable, but a pleasant read.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Collection of short stories about women warriors. Most are of a humorous bend. Recommended
Katie
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2007, s-f, women-writers
Fourth in the series, and the concept's getting a bit old.
Scott Drummond

• Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
  • Assassin Fantastic
  • Space Opera
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
Esther M. Friesner was educated at Vassar College, where she completed B.A's in both Spanish and Drama. She went to on to Yale University; within five years she was awarded an M.A. and Ph.D. in Spanish. She taught Spanish at Yale for a number of years before going on to become a full-time author of fantasy and science fiction. She has published twenty-seven novels so far; her most recent titles in ...more

Chicks in Chainmail (6 books)
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • The Chick is in the Mail (Chicks in Chainmail, #4)
  • Turn the Other Chick (Chicks in Chainmail, #5)
  • Chicks and Balances (Chicks in Chainmail, #6)