Start by marking “Splitter” as Want to Read:
Splitter

Splitter

Was wäre, wenn wir die schlimmsten Erlebnisse unseres Lebens für immer aus unserem Gedächtnis löschen könnten? Und was, wenn etwas dabei schief geht?

Viel stärker als der Splitter, der sich in seinen Kopf gebohrt hat, schmerzt Marc Lucas die seelische Wunde seines selbst verschuldeten Autounfalls - denn seine Frau hat nicht überlebt. Als Marc von einem psychiatr
Published by Droemer (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Splitter, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Sara
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was all over the place and I'm not sure I liked it. So many things going on, you don't know what to believe in. I had a question mark above my head from the first page. The idea of this book was complicated and when the big reveal came, for me, it was ridiculous.
Marnie  Krüger
2017 Reading Challenge
This year I'm doing a Reading Challenge; so I have 26 books with specific subjects that I need to read.
Book 6: A book written by a male author

As a general rule I like pretty much any Thriller I pick-up. I like the not knowing and the rush of the thrill.

Although this book had a lot of the things I usually like, the writing style did not work for me. There is no flow, it just feel like these junky memories that someone threw together in an attempt to make it sound sophisticated.

It felt like every chapter was an inread.
Book
Rowena Hoseason
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This fiendishly tangled thriller presents its unreliable narrator front and centre. From the very first page, we don’t know if Marc Lucas has lost his mind or merely his memory. Bleeding and broken in mind and body, he engages in a desperate chase across Berlin, trying to discover the truth about his predicament – his recent bereavement, his medical condition, the car crash which he almost remembers.

Marc encounters doctors and patients, friends and family and, in his increasingly par
Cande
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true page-turner
Nickyjen
2,5 Stars 😕
Ohhhh no.. I wish I wouldn‘t have read this book.
I loved the premise of the story!
I enjoyed the first half of this book SO damn much.
But the ending ?? What was that 😕
I had to google the ending in order to understand it properly. That’s a NO NO.

Each and every author has some weaker books. I guess this was the weakest.
I am still a really big fan of Fitzek and I’ll definitely continue reading his books with excitement!!
Pluemo
Apr 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: swapped
It was good at first but the end was something I couldn't quite get. It came too fast and was extremely implausible.
Petra Be
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when you start thinking you know what's going on, everything is turned upside down and you are back to square one.
Stephen Hayes
When I began reading this book, it reminded me of The double by Fyodor Dostoevsky, with the atmosphere of Kafka's novels thrown in.

Marc Lucas is a social worker, miserable and grieving because he has lost his wife in a motor accident. He does, however, succeed in saving the life of a suicidal teenager. He sees an advertisement for a clinic that claims to be able to remove painful memories, and decides to visit it. He discovers that they are conducting memory experiments, and will give him complete amnesia, and
Miss Clara

You don't know what's real and what's not. You question your sanity, your memory, your life.

And this had made me confused. It really irritates me when all the answers are not gradually told but are all revealed at the later part of the book. You don't get to discover or put the clues together, because everything seemed unreal. At every page, there's a new plot. Or rather, a new story. It's confusing. You turn the next page and the situation is not what you've predicted. That's good f
Amanda
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The person returning to a life where no one recognises them is a compelling Quantum Leap/ Black Mirror Kafkaesque scenario. Marc Lucas is putting his life back together after a car crash that killed his pregnant wife when shit gets weird : keys not fitting in locks, credit cards not working. Someone else at his office, face to face with his dead wife who disappears the next day. Mark ponders why is this happening to meeeeeeee? and comes up with The Clinic.

The Clinic wanted humanoids
Jack
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well crafted psychological thriller which shows how dangerous a place the world can become if you can't trust your own memory. Kept me engrossed right until the end.
Halima
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not a full 5 Star book but also not anything less idk i loved it
Charlotte
Usually not the kind of genre I read, this psycho-thriller did definitely deliver. I felt all the (necessary) emotions: confusion, fear, panic, repulsion, and the excitement. The thrill to know what would happen next, how the story would end and how all the strange events would link together - this was definitely a page-turner which is hard to put down, especially on holiday.
I didn't love the book, the writing style was a little chaotic - I understand this was to emphasize the inner turmoi
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I really like the story - but I could have done with a couple of less memory issues... I did get a bit confused
It is about a "memory experiment" ... where the scientists are doing an experiment to erase "bad" memories. First they erase all memories - and then put the good ones back. Marc, the main character, is going to have the memory of his wife's death erased. But he keeps going places and finds that he has "wrong" memories. He is lost in a memory fog where nothing is real
btw: Sci
Christopher Brückner
Even though I liked the ending, the resolution of the plot was - in my opinion - not very logical. You probably know the saying "The journey is the reward" and it was a really exciting read, so I can condone the resolution and I'd like to give it 4 stars.
Why not 5 stars? Because the style of writing was really amateur. Fitzek doesn't know how to use rhetorical devices.
You know those clickbait titles on the Internet? Links saying "[...] and you won't believe what happened next"? Appar
Jill Deschuytter
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this story had me thinking! And, I was completely off, but it does make sense after you finish the last chapter.

Again, I was instantly sucked into the story and I really felt for Marc, wanting him to make it, wanting to know if he was indeed losing his mind or if there was something else going on. And though it was extreme, I do get Constantin’s reasoning.

It was also a nice touch to bring back a character from the earlier book. Very well done.
Liv
Oct 17, 2017 marked it as gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: standalones
I don't know if it's because I usually read books in English, but I just can't seem to get into it. The idea behind the book seems great - What if you could just delete some memories of, for example, a tragic accident? And what if something goes terribly wrong while doing that?

Maybe I'll read it some other time, in a few weeks, months or even years, but for now I have to DNF it.
Sugarrr
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great thriller ! What a riiiiddeeee ! I had no clue what was happening until the end and the end was very original, I've read tons of thrillers this year and many were similar in the end but this one didn't sound in the least like any of the books I've already read. So a very original idea in my opinion !

Great ending also ..like .. Years later ending.

Recommended !!!!!!
Matthew Andrus
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaing

This book completely messed with my head, it's got more twist and turns than a hater skelter. This is hard going at times but certainly is worth percivering as the end is really worth it.
Matt Ellard
The ending was just so bad, ruined what had started as a fairly decent thriller.
Mohammed Ali
Really confusing book but it has a lot of twist and turns. Ending was a bit wtf.

[image error]
Melanie Foster
Just too gory for me.
Mena
Sep 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
The story felt like you heard it a dozen times before. Nothing new, nothing thrilling, a boring main character I just couldn't care about.
Jack Heath
Synopsis: after an accident killed his family, Marc wants to forget. It becomes a nightmare when his wife shows up alive but doesn't recognize him.
Lynda Kelly
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
I gave up on this and ended up deleting it. It was going really well and although I raised my eyebrows at the odd happening it was just on the right side of believable to keep me interested. However, by the time I'd got to 69% it had gone off into the realms of what I'd class as fantasy and I lost all interest.
I see the translator went for American spellings-realization/empathize. I've found most translated works tend to do this, though he chose the English spelling of licence. There were
Elien
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I promised myself I would read every book by Fitzek I could get my hands on, and I can't say I've regretted it so far! Splitter is once again as brilliant as Die Therapie, fast paced and so stock-full of plot twists that I at one point began to doubt my own sanity. You can't possibly put this book down once you've started it, you just HAVE to know what the hell is going on!

Which brings me to the reason I "only" gave this one four stars: I was a bit disappointed by the ending. For the entire boo
Marcin
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
8/52
I think this is the most interesting book from all of these which I've read in my whole life. I really liked the motive of lost identity or two alternative worlds, which are very confusing for the main character in the face of past unknown danger.
The next thing I really like about this book is that the płot is set in Germany and although I've never been there, I'm quite interested in their culture. I was delighted white Reading about all this Straßen and towns near Berlin.
Liesbeth
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well more like 3.5 stars really.
I downloaded Splinter on my kindle as I had really enjoyed Therapy by the same author.
Splinter is more bizarre, and harder to keep up with.
Marc Lucas loses his wife , Sandra , and unborn baby in a car accident.
6 weeks later in his father in laws waiting room he notices an advert asking for volunteers in an experiment to erase bad memories. He attends this clinic but decides against it.
On arrival home he finds himself locked out of his apartment
James Kidd
Good. Interesting. Different. But ultimately not that satisfying. A tale of a man who may or may not be going mad, with so many twists and turns you start to wonder what on earth is going on. The ending feels odd, but does fit. I finished the last 100 pages or so in a rush. I wanted to know what was going on and it gripped me in that way. Only at one point did I have to put the book down as I was too worried to read on. An odd sign, but one that tells me that the writing has worked. What I did l ...more
Linda
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a complex psychological thriller, with the typical cliffhangers, unexpected twists and turns and the answers being revealed only on the last pages. FITZEK is a master in putting his readers on the wrong track. With this author's thrillers, however, the reader is less actively trying to solve the puzzle because you know the finale is going to be completely different from what the reader would expect. Moreover, manipulations of the human brain, which is still a dark zone, even though very in ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
So Many Books So ...: thriller 2 15 Feb 03, 2017 01:10PM

• Das Wesen
  • Alles muss versteckt sein
  • Schnitt
  • Blinder Instinkt
  • Trigger
  • Mordsfreunde (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #2)
  • Der Menschenmacher
  • Der Federmann (Nils Trojan, #1)
  • Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
  • Jacob
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Der Kindersammler
  • Die Prophezeiung (Das Tal Season 1, #4)
  • Final Cut
Sebastian Fitzek was born in Berlin in 1971. After going to law school and being promoted to LL.D., he decided against a juridical profession for a creative occupation in the media. After the traineeship at a private radio station he switched to the competition as head of entertainment and became chief editor later on, thereafter becoming an independent executive consultant and format developer fo ...more
“Lost something?’
Yes, my mind.”
66 likes
“The end justifies the means. Sometimes you have to do the wrong thing to get the right result.” 28 likes