Start by marking “Cthulhu 2000” as Want to Read:
Cthulhu 2000

Cthulhu 2000

(The Diogenes Club (The Big Fish))

In Cthulhu 2000, a host of horror and fantasy's top authors captures the spirit of supreme supernatural storyteller H. P. Lovecraft--with eighteen chilling contemporary tales that would have made the master proud.

- The Barrens by F. Paul Wilson: In a tangled wilderness, unearthly lights lead the way to a world no human was meant to see.
- His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood by
Published May 25th 1999 by Del Rey (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Cthulhu 2000, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cthulhu 2000

Start your review of Cthulhu 2000
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another anthology of short horror stories written by people who could be said to be under the influence of HP Lovecraft. There are 18 stories in this book, some very very good, some okay, some not so hot. You'll find this to be true in any anthology, actually -- it's not just this book!

Let me point out some of my favorites:
"The Barrens," by F. Paul Wilson (which I had already read, but loved it so much I re-read it here);
"His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood," by Poppy Z. Brite;
"The Big Fish," by
Ed Erwin
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, horror
I don't like the works written by HPL. As editor of this book Jim Turner, an expert on and admirer of his work, says: "To reiterate Lovecraft's weaknesses at this point would be gratuitous, for his technical shortcomings are apparent to even the most insensitive reader; one may as well complain that the Venus de Milo has no arms." To that I reply, VdM once did have arms, but HPL was never without his shortcomings.

That aside, I enjoyed every story in this collection. There aren't many short-story
Baal Of
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: weird, horror, fiction
Outstanding collection of Lovecraftian tales. There's not a single dud in the whole book, and there are a wide variety of approaches. One of my favorites was the story by Joanna Russ Esther M. Friesner, which was a classic Lovecraft style tale done simultaneously as a romance, and as the travails of a woman attempting to get her story published. This one had me laughing out loud, which is pretty rare.
Leothefox
May 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
2 stars in this case means more like 2 1/2. I love love love H.P. Lovecraft and his work and his writing and his adjectives... what I don't always love is other writers taking modern stabs at doing Lovecraft while bringing to it their own personal style. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the title "Cthulhu 2000", not merely because it recalls that sad ring of the future aspirations we held in the silly old 90s, but because there's more to Lovecraft than the iconic Cthulhu.

...anyhow, the
Jeff Raymond
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another Lovecraftian anthology, but this one better than most. The first story in particular, The Barrens, is probably one of my new favorite Mythos stories, and there are some good and some bad. Some striking things:

* The best stories, The Barrens excepted, were among the goofiest ones. There was one about a possessed modem that was quite amusing, and one where Cthulhu and friends are assisting with a romance writer's career that cracked me up.

* The stories that hit me the least, surprisingly,
Jim
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Riju's review makes me wonder if we read the same book. Although I do not care for all of the stories Turner selected for his two Arkham House anthologies, I sympathize with his attempt to select from as broad a range of approach and theme as possible, in order to identify innovative and literate approaches to the Lovecraftian milieu. One may dislike the sexual frankness of Poppy Z. Brite's "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood" but many, including myself, think it is a brilliant reformulation of ...more
VanHalen
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovecraft, Cthulhu, Horror.
It is in my mind, astounding which writers are in this book, whose stories I loathed.

The bulk of the stories within this tome are fantastic, moving playfully amongst the mythos created by Lovecraft, or even stepping into that which followed him in Clarke Aston Smith and others.

However, there are a couple of stinkers. My largest beef being with Poppy Z. Brite, who decided that ripping off The Tomb The Hound (edited on 3/1/15) wouldn't be noticed by those of us reading... or deciding that ripping
Spencer
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great collection of Lovecraftian short stories, most are well written and I only disliked a couple of them. I’d read some of the stories previously in other collections, but I still enjoyed re-reading them such as "Black Man with a Horn" by TED Klein and "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood" by Poppy Z. Brite. Each writer brings their own style to this anthology and it’s interesting to see how Lovecraft influences everyone differently. If you’re a new to Lovecraft or have been a fan for a while I ...more
Tim Martin
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
_Cthulhu 2000_ is (as one might guess from the title) a collection of recently written short stories set in the universe created by H.P. Lovecraft, none by Lovecraft himself but rather by a variety of different authors. Editor Jim Turner provides a nice introduction to the Lovecraft's writings, drawing attention to two themes in the Cthulhu mythos. One theme is that though Lovecraft is in many ways a horror writer, he did not see the universe in terms of some epic, Biblical struggle between good ...more
George
I highly recommend this collection to all fans of H.P. Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos. This is quality stuff -- some of the best Mythos stories I've ever read, and I've read many.

I have not yet read all of the stories in this collection, but standouts thus far are "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood," "Fat Face," "Black Man with a Horn," and "The Barrens." The latter tale has the nice feature of adding the New Jersey pine barrens and the Jersey Devil to the Cthulhu Mythos! This is a welcome bit
Reg Franklin
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cthulhu 2000 is a collection of modern Mythos tales inspired by the works of HP Lovecraft. Some of the stories act as almost sequels to some of Lovecraft's works (For example, "Fat Face" is a bit of an ersatz sequel to "At the Mountains of Madness"). Some of the works, like "Pickman's Modem" are downright funny, but many maintain the feel of cosmic horror that Lovecraft more or less invented. While not the best book for someone new to Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos, it's an excellent read for ...more
William Sariego
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like all anthologies from various writers, quality varies. Still, this book deserves a 4.5 rating if Goodreads allowed that. Quite refreshing to see the Mythos moved forward to modern times. In Pickman's Modem, for example, you have a kid who buys a used modem that is demon possessed. After that his online presence is one continual flame war! Such a story was inconceivable when HPL was alive. Enjoy!
Glenn Peters
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some quite good stories (although I don't remember all, some didn't hold up as well). Bonus points for Zelazny's 24 View of Mt. Fuji, By Hokusai, and Gene Wolfe's Lord of the Land, the ending of which has lodged itself naggingly in my brain.
Paul Hamilton
During the course of a discussion with a friend who recommended this book to me, I confessed that while I love fiction and settings that harken to H.P. Lovecraft's body of work, especially the Cthulhu Mythos, I haven't read very much of Lovecraft's work itself, due in large part to the fact that every time I try the style glares at me from the page. Thus, in a way, Cthulhu 2000 might have been exactly up my alley, as it ostensibly contains an assortment of stories told more or less within the ...more
Christine McCann
A true mixed bag, but well worth it for the high points.

The Barrens - 5/5 - nice evocation of the Lovecraft feel
Pickman's Modem - 2/5 - silly
Shaft Number 247 - 3/5 - intriguing and disturbing, but ultimately a bit too open-ended for me
His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood - 3/5 - well, now we know some specifics of what one gets up to when Baudelaire is passe and ennui is leading down the path to grave-robbing. And we probably prefer Howard's elided version. Yikes!
The Adder - 3/5 - promising premise,
Brendan
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, this is a decent tribute collection. Some of the stories more derivative of Lovecraft’s actual style are a bit boring; the stories that simply use Lovecraftian themes as small plot elements and work in their own style are the ones that shine here, though.
Percy
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty solid, overall. Especially enjoyed the last story.
Scott Radtke
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though, I have to admit to be going through a bit of a horror phase or, more specifically, a "Mythos" phase, I was overall pleased with the time spent with this anthology. Cthulu 2000, like most anthologies, is a bit uneven, with stories I loved, others that missed and one that unexpectedly really rubbed me the wrong way. The stories also dug into the Mythos to varying degrees, a fact that will drive some readers to distraction, but I have never been a purist about anything (I find purists to be ...more
Nick
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would recommend pacing yourself and reading this collection one or two stories a day. That way, the very few similarities between the stories will drift into the distance and not impinge on your enjoyment of the stories you read after.
While technically all related in some way to H.P. Lovecraft or the Cthulhu mythos, these stories are remarkably different in many ways. Zelazny's contribution, for example, is an exploration of Japanese art and philosophy, while Esther Friesner's is a hilarious
Hunter Duesing
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Completists, Lovecraft die-hards
This compilation contains no work by Lovecraft, instead consisting only of short stories that are directly influenced by his work, much like another collection in this same series entitled 'Tales From the Cthulhu Mythos', the difference being that this collection features a crop of more modern authors. A gooey chunk of the stories in this book feel more like half-cocked Lovecraft fan fiction than something truly worthy of being included in a collection that bears his name, however there are a ...more
Stephen
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Almost all the stories in CTHULHU 2000 are widely available in other publications, but to have them put in one package is very convenient and makes for a strong overall collection. Especially welcome are tales like Paul Wilson's "The Barrens," TED Klein's "Black Man With a Horn," Michael Shea's "Fat Face," and Fred Chappell's "The Adder" (which I had the honor of first publishing in DEATHREALM #9 quite a few years ago). For someone first delving into the post-HPL Cthulhu mythos, this is a great ...more
Riju Ganguly
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Except for the Kim Newman story (which you can find in several other anthologies, as well as the Diogenes Club compilations), and a sharp futuristic piece from Basil Copper (most unlikely writer of Mythos tales, one has to admit), the rest is mostly gory & pessimistic (especially the semi-erotic Poppy Z Brite piece). However, the collection has another additional jewel: T.E.D Klein's outstanding "Black Man In a Horn". More importantly, according to my humble opinion it can be recommended ...more
J. Allen
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-get
A mixed bag, worth it for the gems. The best stories, including those from Wolfe, Ellison, and Zelazny, are the most tangential to Lovecraft's Mythos. They're good stories, not good "Lovecraftian stories." The entries merely aping the Lovecraftian horror style are mostly middling (apart from a notable Ligotti story) and when the tales dip into parody territory ("Pickman's Modem"?) it's nearly unbearable.
Sebadiaz
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A mixed bag of Lovecraft inspired tales. Some are straight forward imitations (The Barrens, which I really enjoyed), some are slightly tongue-in-cheek (Pickman's Modem, my favorite tale in the collection though it is extremely dated), some only tangentially touch on the mythos as easter eggs (24 Views of Mt. Fuji, which was not bad), and some use either the author or the mythos as primary characters (Fat Face, was probably the creepiest of the tales).
Tim Weakley
Nice collection of works in the Cthulu vein. I think my favourite was the Sam Spade story. It was so well done. The best work in it as far as the writing goes was the Zelazny novella at the end of the book. It's worth reading some of the lesser stories in the collection just to get to "Views of Mount Fuji, by Hokusai". There were a few dogs in the collection though which brought the overall book down a bit.
Ah
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Remarkably good anthology but I took off a star for the shitty Poppy "Who let her in" Z Brite story which wasn't even Lovecraftian.Neither was Roger Zelzazny's 24 views of Mount Fuji but I liked that one.Also the Michael Shea story Fat Face was truly terrifying and I wish I had never read it but really what do I expect if I keep reading this kind of thing which I keep doing.
Wes Church
Not bad

Was taken with Lovecraft many, many years ago. I hate how people try to impose contemporary ethics on past times; just read an author's works and enjoy them (or not) for themselves. Anyway, many of the tales herein capture the spirit of his works, and others satirize it pleasantly.
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I only read the first story and that was enough macabre for me. It was good though, about Pineys in NJ which I didn't know about.
Brennan Probst
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mostly solid collection of Lovecraftian writing. My favorites are "Fat Face," "The Big Fish," and "The Last Feast of Harlequin." I totally hated "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood," and couldn't even get close to finishing "24 Views of Mt. Fuji."
David
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2017
3.5
The HPL insertion meta-stories are kind of overdone.
Best stories: The Barrens, On the Slab, The Adder (very funny), 24 Views of Mt. Fuji

• Shadows over Innsmouth (Shadows Over Innsmouth #1)
  • Lovecraft Unbound
  • The Transition of H. P. Lovecraft: The Road to Madness
  • Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft: Dreams of Terror and Death
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best I
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • Books of Blood: Volume Three (Books of Blood #3)
  • At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror
  • The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show
  • Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood #1-3)
  • New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird
  • The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard
  • Clive Barker's Night Breed: Genesis
  • Ghost and Horror Stories of Ambrose Bierce
  • Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors
  • The Tomb and Other Tales
  • Midnight's Lair

The Diogenes Club (3 books)
  • The Man from the Diogenes Club