Start by marking “Cthulhu 2000” as Want to Read:
Cthulhu 2000

Cthulhu 2000

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  4,325 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
In Cthulhu 2000, a host of horror and fantasy's top authors captures the spirit of supreme supernatural storyteller H. P. Lovecraft--with eighteen chilling contemporary tales that would have made the master proud.

- The Barrens by F. Paul Wilson: In a tangled wilderness, unearthly lights lead the way to a world no human was meant to see.
- His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood by
Published May 25th 1999 by Del Rey (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Cthulhu 2000, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cthulhu 2000

Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another anthology of short horror stories written by people who could be said to be under the influence of HP Lovecraft. There are 18 stories in this book, some very very good, some okay, some not so hot. You'll find this to be true in any anthology, actually -- it's not just this book!

Let me point out some of my favorites:
"The Barrens," by F. Paul Wilson (which I had already read, but loved it so much I re-read it here);
"His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood," by Poppy Z. Brite;
"The Big Fish," by Ki
Leothefox
May 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
2 stars in this case means more like 2 1/2. I love love love H.P. Lovecraft and his work and his writing and his adjectives... what I don't always love is other writers taking modern stabs at doing Lovecraft while bringing to it their own personal style. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the title "Cthulhu 2000", not merely because it recalls that sad ring of the future aspirations we held in the silly old 90s, but because there's more to Lovecraft than the iconic Cthulhu.

...anyhow, the collectio
Jeff Raymond
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another Lovecraftian anthology, but this one better than most. The first story in particular, The Barrens, is probably one of my new favorite Mythos stories, and there are some good and some bad. Some striking things:

* The best stories, The Barrens excepted, were among the goofiest ones. There was one about a possessed modem that was quite amusing, and one where Cthulhu and friends are assisting with a romance writer's career that cracked me up.

* The stories that hit me the least, surprisingly,
Jim
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Riju's review makes me wonder if we read the same book. Although I do not care for all of the stories Turner selected for his two Arkham House anthologies, I sympathize with his attempt to select from as broad a range of approach and theme as possible, in order to identify innovative and literate approaches to the Lovecraftian milieu. One may dislike the sexual frankness of Poppy Z. Brite's "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood" but many, including myself, think it is a brilliant reformulation of th ...more
VanHalen
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovecraft, Cthulhu, Horror.
It is in my mind, astounding which writers are in this book, whose stories I loathed.

The bulk of the stories within this tome are fantastic, moving playfully amongst the mythos created by Lovecraft, or even stepping into that which followed him in Clarke Aston Smith and others.

However, there are a couple of stinkers. My largest beef being with Poppy Z. Brite, who decided that ripping off The Tomb The Hound (edited on 3/1/15) wouldn't be noticed by those of us reading... or deciding that ripping
Olethros
-Variado e irregular.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Homenaje a Lovecraft, sus creaciones, mundos, mitos, conceptos y criaturas, desde perspectivas más actuales que las que ofreció el autor en su momento (que no contemporáneas a nosotros en todos los casos) y que nos llevarán a descubrir algo increíble de la mano de una editora en jefe, a conocer a unos diletantes y experimentadores jóvenes, a saber más de la situación en una Guerra Fría bastante particular, a acompañar a un detective privad
George
I highly recommend this collection to all fans of H.P. Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos. This is quality stuff -- some of the best Mythos stories I've ever read, and I've read many.

I have not yet read all of the stories in this collection, but standouts thus far are "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood," "Fat Face," "Black Man with a Horn," and "The Barrens." The latter tale has the nice feature of adding the New Jersey pine barrens and the Jersey Devil to the Cthulhu Mythos! This is a welcome bit
Reg Franklin
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cthulhu 2000 is a collection of modern Mythos tales inspired by the works of HP Lovecraft. Some of the stories act as almost sequels to some of Lovecraft's works (For example, "Fat Face" is a bit of an ersatz sequel to "At the Mountains of Madness"). Some of the works, like "Pickman's Modem" are downright funny, but many maintain the feel of cosmic horror that Lovecraft more or less invented. While not the best book for someone new to Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos, it's an excellent read for ...more
William Sariego
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like all anthologies from various writers, quality varies. Still, this book deserves a 4.5 rating if Goodreads allowed that. Quite refreshing to see the Mythos moved forward to modern times. In Pickman's Modem, for example, you have a kid who buys a used modem that is demon possessed. After that his online presence is one continual flame war! Such a story was inconceivable when HPL was alive. Enjoy!
Baal Of
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, horror, weird
Outstanding collection of Lovecraftian tales. There's not a single dud in the whole book, and there are a wide variety of approaches. One of my favorites was the story by Joanna Russ, which was a classic Lovecraft style tale done simultaneously as a romance, and as the travails of a woman attempting to get her story published. This one had me laughing out loud, which is pretty rare.
Glenn Peters
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some quite good stories (although I don't remember all, some didn't hold up as well). Bonus points for Zelazny's 24 View of Mt. Fuji, By Hokusai, and Gene Wolfe's Lord of the Land, the ending of which has lodged itself naggingly in my brain.
Paul Hamilton
During the course of a discussion with a friend who recommended this book to me, I confessed that while I love fiction and settings that harken to H.P. Lovecraft's body of work, especially the Cthulhu Mythos, I haven't read very much of Lovecraft's work itself, due in large part to the fact that every time I try the style glares at me from the page. Thus, in a way, Cthulhu 2000 might have been exactly up my alley, as it ostensibly contains an assortment of stories told more or less within the My ...more
David
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
3.5
The HPL insertion meta-stories are kind of overdone.
Best stories: The Barrens, On the Slab, The Adder (very funny), 24 Views of Mt. Fuji
Scott Radtke
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though, I have to admit to be going through a bit of a horror phase or, more specifically, a "Mythos" phase, I was overall pleased with the time spent with this anthology. Cthulu 2000, like most anthologies, is a bit uneven, with stories I loved, others that missed and one that unexpectedly really rubbed me the wrong way. The stories also dug into the Mythos to varying degrees, a fact that will drive some readers to distraction, but I have never been a purist about anything (I find purists to be ...more
Nick
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would recommend pacing yourself and reading this collection one or two stories a day. That way, the very few similarities between the stories will drift into the distance and not impinge on your enjoyment of the stories you read after.
While technically all related in some way to H.P. Lovecraft or the Cthulhu mythos, these stories are remarkably different in many ways. Zelazny's contribution, for example, is an exploration of Japanese art and philosophy, while Esther Friesner's is a hilarious r
Stephen
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Almost all the stories in CTHULHU 2000 are widely available in other publications, but to have them put in one package is very convenient and makes for a strong overall collection. Especially welcome are tales like Paul Wilson's "The Barrens," TED Klein's "Black Man With a Horn," Michael Shea's "Fat Face," and Fred Chappell's "The Adder" (which I had the honor of first publishing in DEATHREALM #9 quite a few years ago). For someone first delving into the post-HPL Cthulhu mythos, this is a great ...more
Hunter Duesing
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Completists, Lovecraft die-hards
This compilation contains no work by Lovecraft, instead consisting only of short stories that are directly influenced by his work, much like another collection in this same series entitled 'Tales From the Cthulhu Mythos', the difference being that this collection features a crop of more modern authors. A gooey chunk of the stories in this book feel more like half-cocked Lovecraft fan fiction than something truly worthy of being included in a collection that bears his name, however there are a fe ...more
Riju Ganguly
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Except for the Kim Newman story (which you can find in several other anthologies, as well as the Diogenes Club compilations), and a sharp futuristic piece from Basil Copper (most unlikely writer of Mythos tales, one has to admit), the rest is mostly gory & pessimistic (especially the semi-erotic Poppy Z Brite piece). However, the collection has another additional jewel: T.E.D Klein's outstanding "Black Man In a Horn". More importantly, according to my humble opinion it can be recommended sol ...more
Sebadiaz
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A mixed bag of Lovecraft inspired tales. Some are straight forward imitations (The Barrens, which I really enjoyed), some are slightly tongue-in-cheek (Pickman's Modem, my favorite tale in the collection though it is extremely dated), some only tangentially touch on the mythos as easter eggs (24 Views of Mt. Fuji, which was not bad), and some use either the author or the mythos as primary characters (Fat Face, was probably the creepiest of the tales).
J. Allen
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-get
A mixed bag, worth it for the gems. The best stories, including those from Wolfe, Ellison, and Zelazny, are the most tangential to Lovecraft's Mythos. They're good stories, not good "Lovecraftian stories." The entries merely aping the Lovecraftian horror style are mostly middling (apart from a notable Ligotti story) and when the tales dip into parody territory ("Pickman's Modem"?) it's nearly unbearable.
Tim Weakley
Nice collection of works in the Cthulu vein. I think my favourite was the Sam Spade story. It was so well done. The best work in it as far as the writing goes was the Zelazny novella at the end of the book. It's worth reading some of the lesser stories in the collection just to get to "Views of Mount Fuji, by Hokusai". There were a few dogs in the collection though which brought the overall book down a bit.
Lsmft23
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: weird-tales
Aa a Lovecraft fan, I'm willing to buy pretty much anything that dares to put his name on it, because even when it's bad, it's fun. This is a collection that I go back to every couple of years when I want a travel read- something to pull out at rest stops, and when it's someone else's shift to drive, because every story in it is fun and freaky. Turner assembled a collection of stories with the understanding that humor, as well as creepiness and awe, are part of the fandom.
Ah
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Remarkably good anthology but I took off a star for the shitty Poppy "Who let her in" Z Brite story which wasn't even Lovecraftian.Neither was Roger Zelzazny's 24 views of Mount Fuji but I liked that one.Also the Michael Shea story Fat Face was truly terrifying and I wish I had never read it but really what do I expect if I keep reading this kind of thing which I keep doing.
Doug Mcnair
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: John Phythyon
Shelves: horror
One of my favorite horror anthologies. Standout stories were "The Barrens" by F. Paul Wilson, the cyberpunk classic "24 Views of Mt. Fuji, by Hokusai," the comedies "H.P.L." and "Love's Eldritch Ichor," and the all-time-creepiest-ever story "The Last Feast of Harlequin" by Thomas Ligotti.
Dave Moore
Jul 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've been a fan of Lovecraft for years, and I've read a lot of stories inspired by his eldritch, surreal mythos. A few of the stories in this collection demonstrated excellent writing craft, but the endings fell way short. Bottom line...the stories just aren't that good.
MaryAnn
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great anthology of Lovecraftian stories. A couple were excellent, quite a few were good, and at least two were so slow I skipped, (pretty normal for me in an anthology, if I can't get into it in the first few pages I will skip).
Kimk
Oct 04, 2011 marked it as to-read
Some of these were good, but I didn't finish the anthology because some of the longest, most pointless and barely Lovecraftian stories bored me too much.
Mark Singer
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Eighteen stories inspired by H P Lovecraft. Some of them are quite haunting, especially "The Barrens" by F. Paul Wilson, "Fat Face" by Michael Shea, and "Black Man with a Horn" by T.E.D. Klein.
Ray
Jul 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: H.P. Lovecraft & horror fans
Shelves: horror
A good read, some great stories here...including one by my childhood doctor, F. Paul Wilson, that takes place in the N.J. Pine Barrens!
Kevin
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
There are some EXCELLENT stories in here, especially the first one (The Pine Bareens, I think), and PICKMAN'S MODEM. I don't usually like horror, but I love Lovecraft and his mythos.
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • Lovecraft Unbound
  • Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Hastur Cycle