Start by marking “The New Codependency: Help and Guidance for Today's Generation” as Want to Read:
The New Codependency: Help and Guidance for Today's Generation

The New Codependency: Help and Guidance for Today's Generation

In "Codependent No More, " Melody Beattie introduced the world to the term "codependency." Now a modern classic, this book established Beattie as a pioneer in self-help literature and endeared her to millions of readers who longed for healthier relationships. Twenty-five years later concepts such as self-care and setting boundaries have become entrenched in mainstream ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The New Codependency, please sign up.
Jayden Duvall Yes you should definitely read "Codependency, No More first!! But that is my personal no, you can read either one first, it just depends on you!…moreYes you should definitely read "Codependency, No More first!! But that is my personal no, you can read either one first, it just depends on you! Reading "The New Codependency" first isn't going to ruin anything about the 1st book!! I would personally 📑 start with "Codependency No More" first though! ENJOY!! 🔰 📖(less)

Start your review of The New Codependency: Help and Guidance for Today's Generation
Anna
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Good information on codependency, but sadly interspersed with so much god-talk I could barely read it. You have a problem? Just pray, depend on god, etc. Useful quizzes in the last half of the book, though.
Ro
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love her original book Codependent No More. Answered a lot of my questions about my dysfuntional family. Thought there would not be too much more to learn from a second edition, but I was wrong. The first book introduced the topic, this book talks more in depth and am finding the major points very useful - boundaries, control issues, etc.
I found the end of this book has most highly valuable advice.
Really appreciated the way she told her truth about how she handled tragic events.
Great read.
Amy
I liked this better than the original. tests and scoring confirmed I'm not, and don't have a history of co dependency... which sadly had been thrown around like an insult and form of manipulation by someone who didn't want to face reality. I think there is just a lot of common sense and promoting healthy coping skills throughout the book. I'd recommend to anyone dealing with unhealthy coping or working through hard situations, drama, and trauma. it will either reassure you that you are healthy ...more
Ashley
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I don't identify myself as codependent, but I do love a good psychology-related book. Regardless of where you lie on the codependent continuum, I would venture that most of us have exhibited some codependent behaviors/thoughts at some point in time.

Regardless, this is a very encouraging book and while some parts may be a bit depressing, Beattie continually redirects the reader to positive action they can take. Lots of great quotes, but since I listened to the audiobook, I wasn't able to get
Amy
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Overall it was good and helpful. I have some of the same problems with it that I have with AA, being that I'm agnostic all the God stuff makes no sense to me. Did help me realize some of the areas of my life I need to work on (especially when it comes to relationships), also will be good to refer back to in 6 months or so and see if I do 'better' on the tests.
Angela
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
I thought this would be good at first. Then it began to connect well being to religiosity and wouldn't let go. It also veered off into law of attraction type stuff. I also didn't realize the author is a huge proponent of the 12 step system which might actually promote dependency instead of independence in many cases.
Stef
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Most of the wise advice Beattie attempts to share here is all but hidden under her obvious disgust and disdain for codependents-- the very people she's attempting to help.
Jordan Regan
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Melody Beattie is her own unique individual, with her own worldview. She has great thoughts on universal things in this life, and she also has her own take on recovery and growth, which for her, uses quite a bit of faith and spirituality. For those who are not so inclined, I could see you being allergic to large swathes of this book. However, if you are able to either stomach it due to acceptance of a wide range of belief systems OR if you're able to replace God with "the universe" or "the way ...more
Shari
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book came about by a recommendation of my counselor. I found it a bit difficult to follow the train of thought at times, but ultimately lots of great ideas on building independence and freedom from codependency.
Cailey Monaghan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Although I don't believe in a higher power, so some passages of this book seemed preachy to me, it was very helpful in making me face up to my codependant behaviours.

This past year I have experienced anger for the first time. It frightened me and led me to deny it existed, as I convinced myself being angry was a shameful emotion. I see now that it is not so. I must give myself permission to feel it and let it go. It stemmed from an unhealthy, codependant place but it need not change my outlook.

Overall, this book was good, especially the first half. While it is directed more towards codependent people rather than those who have to deal with them, it is incredibly informative. It goes into lengthy detail about the ways that caring is often a form of control and how people who suffer from these disorders need to 'mind meld' with their partners, expecting their partners to fulfill all their deficiencies and soothe all their insecurities. The author also gives a lot of examples from her ...more
RachelvlehcaR
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, kindle
This book was recommended by a friend because she was reading it and it was helping her. It's a good reminder of some good habits and skills to keep up, however most of it doesn't apply to me because it's stuff that I've been doing or I've been doing beyond what she recommends. She has quizzes in the book which are interesting but limited.

In her book she focuses a great deal on twelve step programs and God. This makes her book very limited. These are two areas I don't follow nor would I. It
Rachel Olivier
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good, straightforward common sense. 6/28/12 - Currently rereading it. It's a good redo of Codependent No More. There are good how-tos in this book. That being said, be a critical reader. Don't just accept what she writes as "gospel" because we all have different experiences. But I find when I reread this book I am reminded of how to be a better, healthier me, and that's a good thing.
Katie Crommett
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yup, going to keep this on my nightstand. Very good
Jen Rives Therapy & Counseling
This is a classic and a great place to start when learning about codependency.
Susan
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
A helpful read for pastoral care continuing education as I delve into the waters of understanding addiction.
Julia Walker
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ah, the reality of being an Adult child of an alcoholic. Excellent book, continually working on being the best I can be.
Keith
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
DNF.. Gets a bit repeatitive but the core idea is solid.
Ali Diaz-Tello
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has some really great advice and observations and was really illuminating. I definitely felt called out at times! Perhaps I'm projecting but I kind of believe that almost everyone is codependent in some area of their life, whether its in their romantic relationship or the role they play in their family or with friends. This is solid advice on moving out of the victim mindset that I think everyone needs to hear.

That said, areas for improvement would be that I could see religious talk
What a frustrating book!
On one hand, it has really useful advice about feelings, grief, and the need to let go. Some comments about the need for control and the section about guilt were generative. On the other, the constant talk about God (having faith that our lives are in the hands of a higher power, etc) was very off-putting and unhelpful. For people who don’t adhere to any particular belief system, the advice to “give it up to God” can simply remind them of existential crises.

There were
Edy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for breaking down my lifelong issues that caused me to stay in an emotionally toxic relationship for as long as I did. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking to enter a new relationship or to change the patterns of an existing relationship of abuser/abused to one of mutual respect and affection.

“Dependent people often jump into relationships too soon. They aren’t selective enough. Usually their needs don’t get met, but they stay anyway, thinking it’s better than being
Farhana Faruq
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm not sure where to begin with this book. It was all over the place, one moment talking about codependancy and next a ramble about the author's battles. It's repetitive. I think I didn't really enjoy this book because I'm not a codependent person, I thought it would still be nice to know about it but I was wrong - I don't care...haha That said, I don't think there's anything totally wrong in being codependent, however it's made to sound like one of the worst things you can be.

If you don't
Michael Thomas
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty helpful. It contextualized my issues with codependency. It is great at explaining what is/isn't codependency and setting boundaries. Explaining how codependency isn't strictly about giving or receiving, but about the motivations behind that giving/receiving is a real strength of this book. However, I was disappointed in some aspects of this book. Some of the tips and tricks given in this book border on mysticism. "God will reveal it to you" I'm paraphrasing Beattie here, but ...more
Meg
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this as an audiobook was problematic, I would recommend the print edition anyhow. A good 30% of the content in the latter half is workbook-style self-assessments, which are very difficult to take with pen and paper but not seeing options on a page.

Beattie is a long-time writer on the topic of codependency, and I've avoided her earlier work (from the 80s and 90s) because of the heavy-handed religion included. This book, adapted for a broader audience and certainly less
Bryan Tanner
Review:
**Do NOT listen to the audiobook version! Too many quizes**

Honestly, didn't love it. I didn't feel like I was her audience. I don't identify as codependent, but I do love a good psychology-related book. Regardless of where you lie on the codependent continuum, I would venture that most of us have exhibited some codependent behaviors/thoughts at some point in time. If I were the son of an alcoholic, this book would probably read like gospel.

For me, this book felt like attending an AA
Maureen Orsini
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great starting place!

I really appreciated the thorough definition and characteristics of codependency that are given in the book. The author suggests closing the chapter s that apply to the individual reader. This is a good suggestion as many chapters were not topics I could relate to. Melody Bettie is generous with sharing from rich personal experience . The book is a great starting place for those with relationship difficulty and other resources for help are suggested in the book as well.
ms.petra
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
just what I needed just when I needed it! I thought I was so self sufficient ad independent and have come to realize I am dependent in the worst sort of way...I was dependent on other people for my self worth, my validation, my happiness. In recovery, I see that I am enough just as I am. I have wonderful gifts and I am loved. If my higher power can love me as I am, so should I. I must look within and to my higher power, not other people. only then will I receive what I believe.
Smitha Murthy
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I am not sure what made me read this book, but as always, you end up with some surprises. There were some useful exercises on developing emotional connectivity, well-being, and a measured response to life's problems. For that practical advice, I rated this book thus. But I did lose it a bit with all emphasis on turning things over to God, and the sheer number of times that the author references her own books. But an interesting read.
Yang
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was recommended to this book and come with a question of what is codependency, what to identify in life. It doesn’t answer this fundamental question quite well, doesn’t help me to dive into the concept and internalize what is it. All it does is to list symptoms of codependency: be it emotion management, people pleaser, self hatred, low self confidence. lacks of focus and depth for codependency topic in itself.
Millie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
One of the best self-help books I've ever read. The principles presented in this book ring true with my mind and heart. I want to read and re-read it to fully capture its principles and apply them in my life so that I can be a healthier, happier version of me and enjoy happier, healthier relationships with others.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Used to Be a Miserable F*ck: An Everyman's Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
  • Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
  • Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • The Dance of Anger
  • Why Won’t You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts
  • Nobody's Victim: Fighting Psychos, Stalkers, Pervs, and Trolls
  • Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go
  • The Universe F*cking Loves Me: Getting Out of Your Way and Into Your Flow
  • Blood: A Memoir
  • Loving Bravely: Twenty Lessons of Self-Discovery to Help You Get the Love You Want
  • The Illusion of Money: How Chasing Money Is Stopping You from Living
  • Teachings on Love
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • Stress Less, Accomplish More
  • Insecure in Love: How Anxious Attachment Can Make You Feel Jealous, Needy, and Worried and What You Can Do About It
  • Mindfulness and Psychotherapy: Working with Anger and Nourishing Inner Peace Each and Every Day--Especially for Psychotherapists
Over the years, Melody Beattie has become well-known in the world of self-help literature. After turning away from a life of addiction and suffering, Melody shared her own story in order to help others change theirs. Her overnight sensation, Codependent No More, has been influencing millions for over twenty years. Her passion for writing has resulted in fifteen books, including: Co-Dependents ...more
“Codependency is about normal behaviors taken too far. It’s about crossing lines.” 2 likes
“It’s not my place to tell him to stop drinking,” Shelly said. “But being with him or talking to him when he’s drunk is my business.” That’s the difference between boundaries and controlling. We can’t make a person stop drinking. But we can refuse to talk to or date that person. Boundaries concern our behavior—what we will or won’t do. It’s not a boundary if we can’t enforce it. Be clear. If people have room to misinterpret, they will. People hear what they want to and what causes the least pain. We won’t be clear with others if we’re not clear with ourselves. Sometimes we don’t like their behavior, but we don’t want to lose the relationship, so our boundaries are murky.” 2 likes