Start by marking “Inner Harbor (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
Inner Harbor (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #3)

Inner Harbor

(Chesapeake Bay Saga #3)

Third in the sweeping Chesapeake quartet, about three brothers who come together in a time of need. They honored their father's wish to raise young Seth as their own. And with all of the brothers home again, the Quinn family has never been so strong. But in the months to come, their strength is tested--once again.

Phillip Quinn has done everything to make his li
Mass Market Paperback, 324 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Inner Harbor, please sign up.
Lucinda Elliot OK, pushing aside those who rushed to answer this question, I'll answer it myself, as I got hold of a copy from the library.
The short answer is, no,…more
The short answer is, no, it isn't a rape,because this tiresome man does ask for her consent after he's 'shanghied' the heroine and taken her to the deserted cove of romance. He does say, 'Tell me you don't want me' etc. Her reply is evasive: 'This will only complicate things'.
Still, he is rough and overbearing enough for me to find the whole scene disturbing.
It's interesting that Regis mentions that the scene has been 'reviled'. If so, it can't have been on the web, as I could find no mention of this particular scene in discussions on the novel. (less)

Kristalia
Final rating: 4.75/5 stars

Sometimes it's really hard for me to write a review for a book. But I really loved this one and I just don't have enough words to express it. I'm starting to really love Nora's writing and the emotinal level she is able to wring out of a person. This series is dark - it's about people with really, really horrifying pasts, but they have been saved and given opportunity to live their lives to the fullest. And to save the last person their benefactor wanted to help. It
Cyndi
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This book finishes off the trilogy (although Nora wrote an extension set almost twenty years later. I love an author who knows how to take an encore.)
Of the three this is my least favorite. Although it had that stomach clenching element of 'her with a secret that will hurt him' that I love in a romance, it just didn't flow quite right. Maybe I just expected too much. Or maybe it was the reader on the audiobook. I'll probably try it again someday with just my own two eyes and the voices in my h
jenjn79
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romance readers / Nora Roberts fans
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series / favorite author
Of the 4 Chesapeake Bay / Quinn books, this one is my least favorite. Not because it's a bad book. It's really not. But just because of a matter of personal tastes.

Inner Harbor features Phillip Quinn, the 3rd troubled boy taken in by Stella and Ray Quinn when he was a teenager. Before they'd rescued him in, he'd been a street thug who ended up with bullets in his chest in a drive-by shooting. But Ray and Stella changed his life, gave him a future. When Ray died and Seth became partially his respo/>Inner
Tiffany PSquared
"Now he was getting himself twisted up over a woman none of them knew they could trust if things got sticky. He for one was going to keep a close eye on Sybill Griffin."

Book 3 in the Saga of the Quinn brothers is given from Phillip's perspective. From his sketchy upbringing to the fortuitous events that led to him meeting Ray and Stella Quinn, which eventually became the foundation of the successful life he has today.

It also continues the family's continued battle with youngest broth
Jana
The main thing I object is, cliché. Am I that stupid? Yes, I am. I really enjoy romances, quick light fix of alpha male and alpha female, just it’s hard to find an intelligent romance. But it is. Most of them are so badly written, that every time when I see so many 5 stars, I think about the readers and the old lady and her cats metaphor. Don't you have any whatsoever criteria if you rate THIS book 5 stars?

Why do they have to be so transparent? Quick fix doesn't necessarily need to be shallow a
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, audiobook, steamy
This one continued my steady progression of liking each slightly better than the last. It also carries on the series tradition of having a quirk or two that was at least mildly off-putting for my enjoyment.

I ended up liking Philip more than I expected to. I'm not so much a fan of urbanite pretty-boys with expensive tastes. I knew that going in so I was braced. Fortunately, he's much better than the other books lead me to expect, though he is, yes, an urbanite pretty-boy with expensiv
Alex is The Romance Fox
I have become so familiar with the characters in this series and the more books I read the more I have fallen in love with these 4 amazing guys. . I have been along on the Quinn brother’s journey to becoming a strong and close family since the sudden death of their adopted father, Ray Quinn and it feels as if they are now my friends, who I care for and want to ultimately see happy.

The 3rd book tells the story of Phillip Quinn, the sophisticated, stylish, and gorgeous advertising man, that likes designer
Allison ☾
It was a satisfying conclusion to the big mystery about Ray Quinn and Seth. I'm just happy all our questions were answered.

As for the romance in this book.... meh.

I relate more to Sybill than to Anna or Grace but I found her incredibly naïve and her constant groveling was annoying. I really don't care about Phillip either, he could have been a bit more complex and troubled than he was.

Overall a good series. I probably won't read the 4th book
Anita
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-own, romance
I loved Chesapeake Bay Saga series and I was caught up with the overriding question: How is Seth related to Ray Quinn? Finally we get an answer to that question and Phillip Quinn meets his match in Sybill. It was wonderful to watch Phillip, the urbane, sophisticate, fall for the analytical, distant Sybill. She reminds me a lot of Bones from the TV series. I could just hear her when Sybill went all analytical on Phillip. Her repression of any emotions when faced with a very emotional situation wa ...more
Teresa
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one mostly for the relationship of these foster brothers. I adore Seth and can't wait to get to his book.
Elena
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5*

While far from amazing, this one is the best one in the series so far.... Too dramatic, as usual, but not as over-the-top as the previous two books! I liked both main characters... Finally some conclusion to the family drama , even though there is one more book (although i think that one was written much later?) ...
Melissa Pearl
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As expected, I loved it.
This is such a wonderful family of characters.
Awesome book :)
Cathy
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was really into the romance at the beginning. Phillip and Sybill just worked for me; their dynamic and the way their jobs and lives kind of seemed to fit together and complemented each other. But then it all kind of fell apart right around the time Sybill's true identity came out. I wish that had been handled differently. A lot differently.

If these books had just been about the three brothers and how the Quinns took them in at an early age and now they're all grown up, etc. etc., I woul
Priyadarshni Palanikumar
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-romance
Aw, the Quinns! I believed this to be the last book, when I read it first. So, I was reasonably excited by it.

Phillip : the by-choice bad kid, unlike his adopted brothers who'd been victims in their childhood.

Sybill : the suppressed woman with a heart of gold.

One could never go wrong with this combination. And it didn't. The intellectual connect was the best part. They shared many interests and exuded a sheen of class. The underlying loyal streak struck them as an inevitable pair.
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ Another 4 star read from this series, IMHO. Yes, the first one is the best (mainly b/c Phillip is a bit of an asshat toward Sybill in a few scenes - one deserved and one crucial time, not deserved - with not enough groveling later); however, a five star rating system makes it difficult to differentiate the subtle difference in ranking. I continued to enjoy Guy Lemonier’s narration of this saga of the boat-building Quinn family living in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. And, finally, some answers about Seth ...more
Glamdring
*Buddy listening with Blacky <333*

Six months has passed since the first book Sea Swept. This is Phillip's, the urban and sophisticate brother, book.
Like the other two books this book revolve around Seth's guardianship and even though Philip and Sybill romance isn't my favorite of the series, all the things related to Seth keeps it a favorite of mine.
Erin **Coffee, Book, Essential Oils Addict**
This is the final book in the series for me to read, and it allowed it all to come together. I love the Quinn family and I love how Nora had Ray's spirit make an appearance in this book. I feel like the afterlife connection makes a huge impact. Especially on those of us readers who are spiritual. A great book and a wonderful series. Sad to see the Quinns go, but I have other Nora series to finish and I love all her characters to the same degree.
Jane Stewart
As a stand-alone book, it was lacking, but it was good because it finished unresolved issues from the first two books.

THE SERIES:
The Chesapeake Bay series includes four books which tell a continuing story about a family. Ray and Stella Quinn adopt three troubled boys who came from abusive homes. In the first three books the boys are about 30 years old. They left home, have good jobs and are single. Stella died several years earlier. In the beginning of the first book Ray took i
Lover of Romance
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Inner Harbor is the third installment in this great series the Chesepeake Bay Saga. Phillip Quinn, is a city boy, he works in the city during the week and then comes homes during weekends to assist his brothers in their booming business of building wood boats and ships. One weekend he meets a woman who stirs things up, and leaves him aching for me. Not just for her body, but to know her personally. As he endeavors to do so, he knows he is falling hard and fast for this smart intelligent and yes ...more
Marianne
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inner Harbour is the third of the Chesapeake Bay series by Nora Roberts. Phillip, the third Quinn brother to be taken in by Stella and Ray, has come about as far as possible from the teenage thief who did drugs and prostituted himself: he’s now an urbanite, a respected executive in a Baltimore advertising firm. But he’s spending his weekends in the village of St Christopher on the promise to look out for the latest Quinn, Seth DeLauter as well as helping out in the new boat building business, Bo ...more
Jaime
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2010, series
This was my second favorite of the Quinn Brothers novels (Ethan’s being my favorite). Nora Robert’s best skill is creating characters and complex family units that feel real, and this series is no exception. I liked this more in-depth look at Philip, and I also liked his romantic interest, Sybil, even if she is a bit cold and shut down for most of the book. Nora also does a great job pulling us into the setting, giving us a more clinical look at small-town life through the eyes Sybil, an outside ...more
Alyssa
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I’d fall in love with Phillip Quinn. I lied.
Brilliant, beautiful, sexy 😍
I can’t wait to read the last book.
The Quinn’s are beautiful.
Sheila Melo
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
FINAL DECISION: Enjoyable read although the drama in the story isn't as deep as might be expected from the description. I enjoyed watching these characters fall in love, but I felt there was more that could have been explored below the surface.

THE STORY: Phillip Quinn began life as a thief until he was taken in by the Quinns. Now he wears a veneer of sophistication. When he meets Dr. Sybill Griffin, he finds her reserve attractive. But Sybill has a secret reason for being in town. Sy
Stephanie Kline
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This was probably the best of this series so far, though I still can't say I LOVED it. It had more drama than the previous two novels, and I liked Phillip more than the other two Quinn brothers, Cam and Ethan. Sybill offered an interesting twist to the story, which I won't give away here - in any case, the characterization was better.

In general, though, I find that this series just doesn't have the "wow" factor for me. All conflict and controversy circles around 10-year old Seth DeLauter, the l
SusanwithaGoodBook
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
So, I'm finished with this Nora Roberts trilogy. It was okay. The story was fairly engaging, but the romance is overwrought to the point of being embarrassing. Thankfully the bedroom stuff didn't get started until about 3/4 of the way into the story, so I was able to skip those few pages and get to the gist of the story. The mystery is solved, thank goodness. I was going to be very irritated if she didn't finish this story.

I have one more Nora Roberts on my shelf, but it seems to be
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

Though I love the Quinns, this was, as anticipated, my least favorite of the ships by far. I want to like them, because Sybill is such a T (from Myers-Briggs), which isn't something you see a lot. She hates feelings, and she's very bottled up, and I do like romances where the men are the more emotional. However, I just don't really feel the chemistry here, and Phillip totally deserved a hot boyfriend. Roberts loves a really quick timeline from meeting to engagement that seems completely unhere,
Valerie
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn’t like this book as much as the 1st in this series but it was better than the 2nd. I’ve got to say I did like that all 3 books weren’t based on the same pattern as some authors tend to do with series. Each is very different from the others and it made it more entertaining to read them all in a row.

I liked the twist in regards to Sybill’s identity, and the conclusion about who actually is Seth’s father! I was expecting something else entirely.

I loved the birthday party scene. Seth’s reacti
Beth Lechman
I totally enjoy this series but this one didn't grab me as much. I think it had to do with Sybill's personality. She seemed to be the main character throughout the book but didn't give me the warm feeling I got with the first 2 books. Still worth reading to find out how the battle to retain guardianship or adopt Seth turns out.
Mary-Megan
While I enjoyed the general plot, I did not like Phillip. The only word that came to my mind when reading him was lothario. He was extremely forward and I didn't find him attractive because of that. Everything else in the story worked. I liked that there's closure for Seth's story. Sybil was an interesting in layered character but Phillip ruined the book for me.
Nora Roberts Grou...: Inner Harbor Feb. 2015 Book of the Month 36 26 Feb 28, 2015 12:56AM

• Visions in Death (In Death, #19)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • Three Day Fiancée (Animal Attraction, #2)
  • One Good Reason (Adamson Brothers, #2)

Chesapeake Bay Saga (4 books)
  • Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #1)
  • Rising Tides (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #2)
  • Chesapeake Blue (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #4)
“Up to this point your life has pretty much sucked. You’re not responsible for that. But you are responsible for what happens from here on.” 16 likes
“Phillip look into Ray's eyes. He saw compassion and hope. And he saw himself mirrored back, bleeding in a dirty gutter on a street where life was worth less than a dime bag.
Sick, tired, petrified, Phillip dropped his head into his hands.
"What's the point?"
"You're the point, son." Ray ran his hand over Phillip's hair. "You're the point.”
6 likes