Start by marking “Practical Common LISP” as Want to Read:
Practical Common LISP

Practical Common LISP

Lisp is often thought of as an academic language, but it need not be. This is the first book that introduces Lisp as a language for the real world.

Practical Common Lisp presents a thorough introduction to Common Lisp, providing you with an overall understanding of the language features and how they work. Over a third of the book is devoted to practical examples, such as th
Published June 26th 2007 by Apress (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Practical Common LISP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Common LISP

Start your review of Practical Common LISP
Chaitat
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very good
Kyle The Hacker
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: hackers wanting to get started with Lisp
Practical Common Lisp is one of those classic Lisp books for the latest generation of hackers. Many other Lisp books are bred in academia and less aimed at hackers who are interested in diving into a language right now. Seibel does an excellent job at showing practical uses for the language. The book is clear, concise, and to the point.

However, there are a few things it misses that a web-oriented hacker would want, things like database interaction and web serving. However, a short trip to the nu
Huang Wei
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Finished the first 11 chapters.
Generally speaking, I prefer scheme's syntax than common lisp's. It would be more fun to code in scheme.

However, this book is worth reading for a better understanding of common lisp. I enjoy its practical materials.
A preparation for reading PG's On Lisp.

I'll finish the rest later this year. Apparently, I have a more much important project to do, and I'm not going to use CL for it, at least now.
Michael
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming, lisp
I started this book several times, but always abandoned it after a couple of chapters. This time I decided I won't give up, and am quite happy I finally finished it.

While I find a lot of the examples rather boring (I guess in 2010 streaming MP3 just isn't so hot anymore), they are good examples of practical CL code, like the title promises.

The writing style is engaging enough and Seibel makes sure to always include background information and links for further reading, which I very much apprecia
TK Keanini
Oct 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
By far the best book on the topic. I wish more books were written in this manner. It is not just a reference, it goes in to why things are the way they are and that appeals to me.

Everyone has taken a LISP course one in their lives? I bet that if you took this book first, you would still be using it.

If your world is full of graphs, as opposed to tables, LISP is just so beautiful.
Scott King
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-books
I read most of this book and skimmed some of the latter part, but found it excellent. A real eye-opener to what Common LISP is really all about. Actually a very powerful language that I would enjoy trying, though I'm learning Clojure right now instead. This is a well-written description of all the language has to offer.
Aaron
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool. Made me feel nostalgic.
Gaelan D'costa
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Learning Lisp but had funtional programming under their belt already.
Recommended to Gaelan by: Old and wise Lispers.
I thought it was a pretty great book on Lisp, although it's hard to distinguish how much of this is from the elegance of the language itself, my understanding of computer languages in an abstract sense, or the writer's ability to put together a sticky and comprehensive tutorial.

I certainly didn't feel like this book went overlong, as many tutorials so. Every chapter felt really short, and explained everything relatively tersely. The author seemed happy to talk about theory and esoteric concerns
Dmitry Petrov
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming-read
Every software developer evolves during his career and that can be done by several ways, which are not
really conflicting but it's possible to get better with any of them not all. Some people prefer
to stick to one language and use it to build bigger systems or implement more and more complex algorithms,
but it somewhat limits their ability to see if there are better ways to solve problems. Language defines
thinking and it's true not only about natural languages but also about programming ones.

Doing
Joan
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
I don't feel that this is the right book if you are new to lisp.

If you are completely new to lisp my advice is to go start with scheme. The little schemer and the rest, or if you really want to learn common lisp take another one that goes deeper into the language.

On the other hand if you are already familiar with lisp and you want to see what common lisp can do in a practical way this is your book, though sometimes it gets a bit boring in a "reference way", just throwing facts at you.

I will keep
Tripp Lilley
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: code-craft
Even if you haven't done, and don't plan to do, any lisping, you should definitely read this book. It didn't change my life, but it definitely helped refine some of my reflections on languages and code craft. It's amazing how much of Lisp's legacy is in the languages we use, how little we realize it, and how difficult it is to articulate the missing pieces, at least until you experience Lisp, practically.

This book made me a better programmer, and is leading me into exploring more of Clojure, the
Daniel Lyons
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of the better learn-a-language programming books I've seen. Seibel doesn't shy away from showing you the hard stuff, and emphasizes what's different about CL. You don't come away feeling like you need a more advanced book to teach you how to really be productive the way pretty much every Smalltalk book makes you feel (for example). It's in-depth without making you wade through reams of listings.
Marco Bitetto
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ?
Recommended to Marco by: Necessity
I personally found this book a disappointment...
With all the reviews and high ratings of this
book, it really did not live up to all the hype.
For readers that truly want to learn the Common
LISP programming language, I would recommend the
Touretsky, "Common LISP: A Gentle Introduction".
Web Worms
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the clearest books on programming with LISP and indeed dynamic programming in general. This is one in a thousand, definitely worth reading even if you are not at all into LISP and (yet) into functional programming.
Noah Sussman
Feb 18, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: partlyread
So far I downloaded LispWorks did most of the first chapter of PCL. I got as far as building a CD database in 20 lines. With interactive input. And the ability to save and re-load data. In about 20 lines.
Delyan Angelov
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Impressive concepts and accessible implementations.
Highly recommended for every programmer !!!
Paul Elms
Oct 03, 2011 marked it as to-read
Читал неоконченный перевод на русский язык, собираюсь перечитать.
Krinn DNZ
Chris Hanson
Jun 18, 2009
活性气体
Feb 15, 2013

• Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The C Programming Language
  • On LISP: Advanced Techniques for Common LISP
  • Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common LISP
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • Hacker's Delight
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »