Start by marking “Learning Outside The Lines : Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools For Academic Success and Educational Revolution” as Want to Read:

Written by two Ivy League graduates who struggled with learning disabilities and ADHD, Learning Outside the Lines teaches students how to take control of their education and find true success with brilliant and easy study suggestions and tips.

Every day, your school, your teachers, and even your peers draw lines to measure and standardize intelligence. They decide what crit
Published September 5th 2000 by Touchstone (first published September 5th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Learning Outside The Lines , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning Outside The Lines

Lisa Powell
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Appreciate the effort, but wasn't terribly useful.

The first part of the book is personal history -- how two people overcame difficulties to get into the Ivy League. It is interesting to see that in both cases the key to admission seemed to be to build up years of working very hard and being very determined -- and to have the audacity and aggressiveness to push the admissions office to take them.

The second part of the book is a long list of habits, tricks, strategies, and advice. I thought it was
Kendall Jackson
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was an eye opening book from an educators standpoint. The book is a memoir of two students with learning disabilities, and how they overcome them to attend Brown University. The book includes advice and tips for other students with learning disabilities. Overall, a great read that I would recommend to others.
Aaron
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mooney and Cole offer an honest and insightful look into their lives, both successes and struggles, as students with LD/ADHD. In addition to their personal stories of failure and triumph, they also discuss their non-profit, Eye-to-Eye, designed to help elementary and middle school students that suffer form LD/ADHD and struggle in school. However, most of the book is dedicated to tips and pointers for LD/ADHD students to find success in college, specifically. Among the wisdom they offer, includin ...more
Lieve
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd recommend this for all kinds of students who have to learn from a book; it explains a lot about different ordening systems, how to process your information... It may give a head start, even for students with no disability whatsoever.
Julia Sheehy
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Clear. Revealing. Practical. Encouraging. Long overdue wisdom.
Cate
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely every teenager with LD/ADHD should read this book. Jonathan Mooney and David Cole know what it feels like feel to be on the business end of an F. Mooney is dyslexic and didn’t learn to read until he was 12 years old. Cole has ADHD, and spent more time in the hallways of school than he did in the classroom. But they both managed to turn their lives around, and with enormous feats of resilience and determination, managed to graduate with honors, from Brown University. They know how it f ...more
Beatriz Andrea Fernandez
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-fiction
I bought the book for the study tips, but in my opinion, that was the weakest part of the book. Sure, there was some usable stuff in there (the section on writing was especially useful, especially for someone who suffers from severe writing anxiety), but most of it was pretty obvious. What lifted the book most where the first and last chapters. Reading Mooney's and Cole's mini autobiographies of their experience in the modern American education system is moving and really awakens you to the many ...more
Ottilie
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had to read this book for one of my education classes, and when I started to read the opening the book I was shocked with how it was written. The book is written by two college aged young men who talk about their horror stories of their education career before they started college. A story of determination is then developed into all these different kinds of tips about writing essays, reading homeowork, note taking, and much more! I found some of the tips or parts of their story I could relate ...more
Jason
Sep 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers and Parents
If you are a teacher of any kind, you really NEED to read this book. I saw Mooney at a conference in Breckenridge and he changed the way I view kids with disabilities. His story is amazing enough, but the strategies he puts forth to help kids of all kinds get through the maze of public education are invaluable!
Jena
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant. The strategies outlined in it are valuable whether or not you have learning disabilities. It should be read by all! One caveat: it contains swearing (mostly in the first few chapters) and lots of references to sex throughout the book, in the form of childish humor. Even if you would normally walk away from such a book, I would still recommend it. The ideas are that good.
Nona
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Had to read this book for one of my Special Education classes.

I found this book to be helpful for everyone. There are great tips on note taking, writing, reading, studying, etc. I wish I would have had this book when I was going to college full time! Looking forward to Jonathan Mooney's other book.

Meredith
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I reference this book every so often. It contains strategies on how to deal with ADHD/LD kids. I do think that sometimes the authors are "pie in the sky." It's hard to implement some of these strategies in a classroom of 36 kids. I think it's a must-read if you know somebody with ADHD.
Liz
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-for-school

Although some advice is not new, most of this book has great step by step details on the proper ways to learn and study. I really wish I knew this 12 years ago!!! It is a fantastic guide for all learning!
Carole
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for those who learn differently....wish I had a book like this when I was in school and teaching school. I have sent copies to my grandkids. One of the best things is you can read just the sections/chapters that will help you without feeling guilty!
Ryan
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I met the author while attending PC. This book shares his accounts of making education work with ADHD. All teachers must read to understand what these students go through and how we can adapt to the needs of this particular population.
Lisa
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every chapter in Jonathan Mooney's book. He's completely frank how he felt growing-up within the Special Ed environment.
The highlight of reading Mooney's book...he sets those goals high and shows Dyslexia and ADHD doesn't have to end destined to not be successful.
Coco Prato
Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Wish I woulda read this in hs or college. Out of all the ADHD books that I have read, this one was the best at providing real suggestions to improve and overcome LDs. The authors both have a good sense of humor too. They make the book easy to read.
Jenny Neugart
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book provided the reader with amazing insight into what a person with a learning disability experiences in school and what a person can accomplish who has high expectations for himself. The second part of the book also provides very practical study tips.
Jacqueline
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Jonathan Mooney, albeit smart and interesting, can definitely set up a false-hope in people. He is just a bit over the top and unrealistic at times.
Julie Rogers
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book is my bible that I go back to time and time again. Not just for Alex, but for other kids as well and ME!
Danielle
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Always be proud of your disability. In some way we all have strengths and weaknesses. Harness your strength.
Rabbomar
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A student's perspective of college life with ADHD.
Fullfaun
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
great ideas for everyone
Elizabeth7781
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology-self
Outstanding book. Ought to be required reading for every high school senior.
Chris
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Useful info for kids with LD to help them learn strategies to help themselves.
Michael Brown
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
It is good and entertaining but it really doesn't bring much new to the table - illustrations could use some work.
Tricia
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The story of these young men interested me. Humorous, inspiring and some really good study tips.
Cait Gillett
This is definitely one of my favorite books because it captures learning disabilities very well.
Aaron
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This book has some great ideas and lessons for students with disabilities.
Abigail Wurf
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great when I read in college. Needs to be updated due to infiltration of computing and smartphones

• Late, Lost & Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
  • The Gift Of ADHD: How To Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD
  • A Mind at a Time
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • Superparenting for ADD: An Innovative Approach to Raising Your Distracted Child
  • Quirky Kids: Understanding and Helping Your Child Who Doesn't Fit In- When to Worry and When Not to Worry
  • Small Victories: The Real World of a Teacher, Her Students, and Their High School
  • It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success
  • Smart but Scattered Teens: The "Executive Skills" Program for Helping Teens Reach Their Potential
  • The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men
  • The Organized Student: Teaching Children the Skills for Success in School and Beyond
  • The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander
  • Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School
  • The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
“Education is one of the most beautiful and liberating things we can pursue in our lives, but too often it is approached as a restrictive, punitive, linear, and moralistic act.” 1 likes