Start by marking “The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)

The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  60,764 Ratings  ·  2,666 Reviews
Book 1 in The Spiderwick ChroniclesA #1 New York Times BestsellerGo away . . . close the book . . . put it down . . . do not look.
Published January 1st 2008 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Field Guide, please sign up.

Danielle Swift I am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a…moreI am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a pair of students who have read all the way to book 4 so far. The plot isn't scary and is full of lots of magic that they enjoy. Both boys and girls seem to enjoy the series equally. (less)

Patrick
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading these books for the second time. But it's been years since I picked them up, and it's the first time I'm reading them with my son. And both of those things make a huge difference to my experience.

First, and perhaps most importantly, my little boy likes them. He's about five an a half, which is younger than the target age for these books, but he's into them.

(In the interest of full disclosure, Oot isn't the most critical of readers at this point in his life. He pretty much likes all
Bangadybangz
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun little book! Short and sweet, quirky and magical, loved it! I've always been a fan of anything to do with fairies and folklore, so I'm definitely pumped to delve more into this exciting world!
Rachel
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything about the packaging and promotion of this book is delightful...the title, the mysterious notes obscuring the back cover synopses, the inclusion of a letter from the three children protagonists to the author. All of that is very nice, but after reading the first installment, I can't help but feel a little robbed.

First of all, and forgive me for this, I can't help comparing the books to a more cleverly written and altogether smarter series, Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Eve
Taylor Knight

I read the Spiderwick Chronicles back when I was quite young, maybe eight or nine. My sister and I read the crap out these books (we must have read them 15 times, no joke) and I've been wanting to revist this series and the wonderful fantasy world that Holly and Tony created for awhile now but I've finally gotten around to it.

The writing partnership of Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi is remarkable and this series is by far some of the most well written literature that I've ever read.

The three ma
Becky
Just your typical 'move into an old creepy house, weird stuff starts happening, one of the kids gets blamed, and then they find a book that explains the existence of fairies/faeries/fey which solves their problems... while at the same time causing many more problems'.

Happens every day.

Also, I'm no expert in the sport of fencing, but I'm pretty sure that they don't call the weapon a sword, and someone who is serious about fencing, as Mallory apparently is, would know that.

I think that this boo
Kristina
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading and loving this book when I was 10 or 11years old. So when I saw it in one of my local charity shops I immediately bought it. I definitely don't regret it. I think I loved it just as much as my child self. Maybe because I am such a huge fan of all things paranormal.
I like that there are drawings throughout the book which are absolutely gorgeous by the way. :)
It follows the adventure of two brothers and a sister into the magical world right beside the house they live in. Ther
Reem Alkhalaf
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ممتعة لأقصى حد انتهيت منها بأقل من ساعتين

المراجعة ستكون عند انتهائي من الجزء الخامس والأخير منها
Alexander Ayala
Las crónicas de Spiderwik nos cuenta la historia de Simón, Jared y Mallory, tres hermanos que se mudan con su madre a una casa de la época victoriana en medio de un lugar aparato de la ciudad. Pronto, los ruidos de la casa, los mensajes en el polvo y aquel libro lleno de criaturas fantásticas que encontraron los llevará a querer descubrir qué hay detrás de todo eso.

Volver a estos libros después de años me trae un sin fin de recuerdos de aquella primera vez que lo leí. En esta ocasión, vuelvo a
Anne
Very cute! I can see why kids like them. I'm sure I'll end up buying the complete set for mine!
P
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
เดียวนีกลายเปนคนชอบอานหนังสือเดกทีมีภาพประกอบไปแลว สำหรับสไปเดอรวิกนีเคยดูหนังเมือหลายปีกอน ชอบนะ พอมาอานแลวรูสึกวาหนังสือนีเลาเรืองแบบกระชับมาก ไมยืดเยือ ภาพประกอบกสวย ใหอารมณลึกลับนาติดตาม ติดแคตรงเนือเรืองเลมแรกสันมาก เปนการปูพืนไปเลมตอๆไป แตอานแลวติดใจจนตองหยิบเลมตอขึนมาอานทันที

(view spoiler)
Jackie "the Librarian"
Fairies are DANGEROUS. And they don't want you to know about them. I love that this book takes the question of fairies and brownies and pixies seriously, it gives this story its power. I love the setting: the rambling old house out in the country, the secret room, the shadowy feeling that something is watching...
And I love the format of this series, with the uneven edges to the pages, the small size of the books. They just feel cool.
This is the first book of the series, and it starts off strong
George Jankovic
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book for kids (8-11). It's spooky at times as you follow two twin boys and their sister in a creepy, old house.

Enjoy!
Cait • A Page with a View
I might be out of the target age range for this series just a wee bit buuuuut better late than never.
Gretchen
As I said in an earlier comment, I love the size and feel of this small book. That may sound an odd comment, but I am a book lover of the real deal books, not electronic ones. I love books you can hold in your hands, feel and smell the paper, books you can caress. It's just such a lovely size; I could hold it in one hand whilst I read. Even the fonts captured me. This is the sort of book that I would have cherished as a young girl, collecting all of the series and placing them in a special spot ...more
Brooke
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This had everything a children's book should have: imagination. This was really great!
Peter Monn
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Check out my review on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
Isa Lot
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uno de esos libros entrañables que se pueden leer a cualquier edad, muy bien escrito, sencillo y ameno, y con ese ambiente de fantasía y magia, en una casa misteriosa, tan maravilloso. Me ha gustado mucho, no podía parar de leer.
Cait (Paper Fury)
I read this for research purposes. I'm pretty sure a boggart is stealing my left socks. OKAY, NO. That's not why I'm researching it! I want to write children's books, and mine turn out too weird, so I thought I'd read more children's books and get a hang of the voice and style. This was an epic example. (It can't be more then 10K, right?) I really enjoyed it. I've watched the movie, and the first book is...what? The first 20 minutes of the movie?! It's such an adorably cute book! But now I'm imp ...more
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lemony Snicket Fans
Shelves: ya, 2005, fantasy, adventure
The First book in a series of Five.

The story is about the Grace Children: Mallory who is 13 and the 9 year-old twins Jared and Simon. When their father leaves the family, mom and the kids move into the Spiderwick estate - a large crumbling mansion that they inherited from their “crazy” Aunt. The house is big enough for Mallory to practice her fencing, Simon to keep his stray animals he loves and for Jared to ....well... mostly just be pissed off. He isn’t handling the whole abandonment thing re
Amy
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and quick read.
Martin
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Обожавам тази поредица! Това са книгите, които ме накараха да обичам четенето, затова са и толкова специални за мен :)
Marit
I needed one more fantasy and this book was sitting on my brothers book shelves. So I said to myself just read it what's the worst that could happen. Anyways I watched the movie as a child and got extremely scared of it. I don't remember why I just did. This is a great example of a fantasy book that I don't hate. I read this all tonight as soon as I got home and ended up liking it. What a shock I like a fantasy book. 😂
It had realistic people with hints of fantasy in it. But you weren't constant
Adrián Biháry
Spiderwickovci je presne tá séria, na ktorú sa nikdy nezabudne. Pamätám si, keď som mal desať rokov a túto knihu som si požičal so školskej knižnice - a rovnako ako vtedy, aj teraz ma neskutočne očarila. Film pozerám takmer každé letné prázdniny a túto sériu jednoducho nesmierne milujem. Holly je talentovaná spisovateľka, niet divu, že patrí medzi jedny zo súčasných autoriek, ktorými knihy sú klasiky a Tony je zasa úžasný umelec. Milujem túto sériu, milujem tento čarovný svet a postavy, aj keď k ...more
Christina
Stefan Yates
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-room
I wasn't too sure what I was getting into when I started this book and I must say that I was much more than pleasantly surprised. The story centers on a mother and her three children, a set of twins and their older sister, who have just moved into the old dilapidated house that has been in the family for years. Very soon after moving in, strange occurrences begin to happen and the children dedicate themselves to solving the mystery.

This is a well written introduction to the series and the style
Pepper
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first chapter book I have started to read with my six year old son. He truly enjoys the story and with the help of the descriptions the authors give, he is learning to "imagine" the story in his head. The beautiful illustrations scattered throughout the book help to keep him interested as well. My eight year old nephew also loves reading this series on his own.
I feel it is a wonderful story. The first book sets the stage and gives lots of background information. The length of the boo
Courtney
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I don't plan to go into great detail about the storyline, because I'm a firm believer that a story can only be truly reviewed by a person's impression of the story. I think it would be a waste of time to go over the plot again...that's what the title page of the book is for.

This was such a great start to what I can imagine will be a very strange and chaotic adventure for Jared, Simon, and Mallory! Short, simple, and to the point, I cannot wait to dive into the rest of the books. I feel it will n
Heidi Elmore
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and fanciful people :)
I love this book. It is a childrens book and I read it in one day, but it was a great escape. I have a feeling the other ones in this series will be good as well.

Something to look for in the book: between some of the paragraphs there are little black figures of different fairies and they create an optical illusion - as you read and concentrate on one line, when you switch to another line, or look around the room or whatnot, it looks like there are little farie outlines. This had to have been in
Reddish
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debo decir, sin vergüenza alguna, que soy muy fan de la película Las Crónicas de Spiderwick. Es por eso mismo que he decidido leer los libros. De momento la cosa me está gustando bastante. Las ilustraciones le dan un toque fantástico a la historia. Ya explicaré qué me ha parecido la saga en general en el último tomo, puesto a que son bastante cortitos, y no creo que tarde mucho en leerlos todos.
Around the Year i...: The Field Guide, by Holly Black 1 12 Mar 14, 2017 06:58PM
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • Igraine the Brave
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • The Water Sprites (Fairy Realm, #8)
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Arthur and the Minimoys
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • The Snow Spider (Snow Spider Trilogy, #1)
  • Worlds Apart (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #14)
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more
More about Holly Black...

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)