Start by marking “The Intrigue (The Daughters of Mannerling, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Intrigue (The Daughters of Mannerling, #2)

The Intrigue (The Daughters of Mannerling #2)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  624 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
To regain Mannerling estate father gambled away, obsessed family sets second-eldest Jessica on secretly abusive heir, Harry Devers, whose attempted rape of eldest has been quieted. But obstacles abound, as do rivals in romance, fortune and haughtiness.
Paperback
Published July 31st 1996 by Ivy Books (first published September 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Intrigue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intrigue

Cyndi
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I so admire writers. The devotion, desire and discipline it takes to put out even one novel is amazing. And yet M. C. Beaton has written so many novels that she uses five pseudonyms. I can barely find the time to write short reviews. 🤷🏼♀
So as a fan, it pains me to not give this book 5 stars. But, although it is an adorable story, it felt a bit forced. Anyway, I still liked it and will keep going with the rest of the series! 😘
Niffer
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I get the feeling this is one that M.Chesney/Beaton cracked out in a week - parts were rushed, dark matters touched on and moved on from in paragraphs, a silly empty headed heroine who I never really got a chance to like in between her wildly fickle emotional swings and a Hero who I was hoping would 'cop off' with Miss Trumble instead!
I picked this up on a whim at the library and as such hadn't read the first one, maybe this would have made more sense, but from all the reviews saying the plot is
Charlotte Smith
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book Is a quick read and one if you had the time to read in one day. The second in the series of sisters that are trying to get their old house back but don't win.
Mo
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Diana
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I listened to this on audio x2, there really wasn't any depth to the characters or plot and went into more depth in some bedroom scenes. It seemed much like the first story and I don't plan on reading any of the other books in this series-not worth my time even at 2x speed.
Tara
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
I love how Mannerly, the house, is one of the main characters in this book. It is cleverly woven into the story. I also like the development of the mother's character. It's a little surprising but also really credible.
Rosa Cline
This one wasn't as good as book 1. It was more 'darker' for lack of words. Obsessed to regain their former wealth and home they would do just about anything to get it all back...
cookiemonger
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Daughters of Mannerling is somewhat darker than the other two Marion Chesney series that I've read. Yes, even compared to all the murder and mayhem in The School for Manners. I think the difference is in the sense of maturity. While DoM does contain elements of a comedy of errors, it foregoes the zaniness present in TSoM.

The next eldest daughter, Jessica, is convinced that she will be the one to regain Mannerling. As is the rest of the family still at home. So convinced, in fact, that their
Rosemary Morris
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Intrigue is the second novel in the series, Daughters of Manenrling – by M.C. Beaton aka Marion Chesney.

The eldest daughter, Isabella, one of the six Beverley sisters, failed to marry the previous owner of Mannerling, which their late father lost by gambling, along with his fortune. However, the bevy of beauties are not discouraged. They ‘pin their hopes’ on the second eldest sister, Jessica, who they want to marry the son of the new owner of Mannerling, “a brutal letch, a drunkard and a wastrel
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • Tilly
  • The Stolen Bride (Lovers and Ladies, #3)
  • The Diamond Key
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • The Nobody (Nobody, #1)
  • Friendship and Folly (Merriweather Chronicles, #1)
  • The Houseparty
  • The Sugar Rose
  • The Lord and the Gypsy (Sanguinet Saga, #3)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

The Daughters of Mannerling (6 books)
  • The Banishment (The Daughters of Mannerling, #1)
  • The Deception (The Daughters of Mannerling, #3)
  • The Folly (The Daughters of Mannerling, #4)
  • The Romance (The Daughters of Mannerling, #5)
  • The Homecoming (The Daughters of Mannerling, #6)