Start by marking “From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (From a Certain Point of View, #2)” as Want to Read:

From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back

(Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View #2)

From a Certain Point of View strikes back! Celebrate the legacy of the groundbreaking Star Wars sequel with this exciting reimagining of the timeless film.

On May 21, 1980, Star Wars became a true saga with the release of The Empire Strikes Back. In honor of the fortieth anniversary, forty storytellers recreate an iconic scene from The Empire Strikes Back, through the eyes
Published November 10th 2020 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about From a Certain Point of View, please sign up.
Jeff Nylander 80% of the stories you can get just by watching the movies. The characters they refer to only appear there. The rest are definitely more for the obses…more80% of the stories you can get just by watching the movies. The characters they refer to only appear there. The rest are definitely more for the obsessed Star Wars fans, but are still enjoyable.(less)
JD-Reads-Books Yes as most Star Wars stories are. Many of the stories are also written by YA authors as well so very suitable.

Start your review of From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (From a Certain Point of View, #2)
Khurram
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To think I almost missed this book, I kept seeing a Certain Point of View and thinking it was the Star Wars (The New Hope) version, days before it came out I realised I realised it was the Empire Strikes Back reciving the FACPOF treatment.

Like the first book it is difficult to give an overall rating as there are some stories I enjoyed more then others. I found I really like probobly 35 out of 40 stories so 5 stars it is. Unlike the first book, the stories are not in completely sequential. Some
Ashley
Jun 11, 2020 added it
Spent waaaaaaaay too long on Hoth. May do a full review later.

[3.5 stars]
Opalsbookjems
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Yasss!!! *claps energetically*

Disturbance by Mike Chen is my absolute fave!!!
I just adored the Whills Strike Back!!! They are so cute and their witty banter is everything!!!
I CAN'T WAIT FOR 40 YEARS OF RETURN OF THE JEDI!!!
Robert
I'll hide my thoughts on specifics stories under a spoiler tag, in general terms I don't think I enjoyed this anthology quite as a much as the first one, it felt like there was a higher proportion of mediocre stories although, as before, there were a few truly excellent standouts.

(view spoiler)
Jim C
Feb 24, 2021 rated it liked it
This is a collection of forty short stories to celebrate that Empire Strikes Back is forty years old. Each story takes place during the time frame of that movie and incorporates a scene from that movie. Also, each story tells the perspective of a character who is not widely known and might not be a part of the greater scheme.

Disney did the same thing for the forty anniversary of A New Hope and I wasn't a big fan of that collection. Unfortunately, I had the same result from this collection. I lik
Wee Lassie
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, a perfect follow up to the previous book.
MissBecka Gee
3.5 ⭐Rounded up.

While I did enjoy the first book more, that in no way means this was disappointing.
My favourite stories were:
The Whills Strike Back by: Tom Angleberger
Neil R. Coulter
Feb 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, star-wars
This is the second collection of Star Wars stories that take the reader through a whole movie, start to finish, through the eyes of minor characters. I enjoyed the first one and found it a fun way to relive A New Hope. This volume, however, for The Empire Strikes Back, didn’t work nearly so well. Some reasons? The second film in the trilogy is a more tightly focused narrative, so there’s much less room for interesting (or even amusing) side plots happening just outside the frame. Also, ESB is mo ...more
ᒪᗴᗩᕼ
❐ Overall Rating 3¾| Narration 5
❐ Star Wars
❐ Anthology
❐ Side Stories from a certain point of view

Some were good, a few were really good and some I tuned out completely. I'm glad I rewatched The Empire Strikes Back before starting this...I didn't realize how long it had been since I last watched it. I had forgotten a lot of it.

My favorites were:

Disturbance by Mike Chen, which was superbly narrated by Sam Whitwer. Darth Sidious/The Emporer/Palpatine...he senses a disturbance in the force.

She Wil
Drew's ambitious reading
Wow what a great collection of short stories!! I will have a detialed review of my rating for all 40 stories that are in here so I will come back later in the week and update this reivew. As of now I would give it a 4/5 stars!(:
Vanessa
Dec 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a mostly chronological collection of short stories shedding a new light on Empire from a variety of characters whose travels bisect a piece of the story: the Millenium Falcon's computer, Boba Fett, a wampa, an admiral on the bridge of a doomed star destroyer, and many more. I love how the books and the TV shows fill in the richness of this universe and this collection does a great job of that.

Be prepared to humbly visit Wookieepedia young Padawans, as some of the character's names may no
Eva B.
I heard this has Canon Siri Tachi and ahhhhh I NEED IT!! Jedi Apprentice was my catnip as a kid (might do a full-series reread if I'm extremely bored or something) and she was always a favorite! ...more
 Charlie
Some fantastic stories here but also some pretty average ones. I tell you one thing the Star Wars Universe owes Gary Whitta and his "Rebellions are built on hope" line from Rogue One because every author writing a story about the rebellion uses it. I did enjoy getting to see more behind the scenes stuff in regards to the empire. Vader killing off his Admirals and how it feels to work in that sort of environment, a Tie Fighter pilot who knows she is flying the cheapest product on the market and w ...more
Robin
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
this one was better than the short story collection for "a new hope" (might be biased bc "the empire strikes back" is probably my favourite), but including Hank green and letting Mackenzie Lee write Obi-Wan should count as a hate crime ...more
Mike
May 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Star Wars has been around for a long time - 44 years, to be precise. This anthology was released to celebrate the 40th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars has had its ups (KOTOR, the Timothy Zahn books, Rogue 1) and its downs (The Phantom Menace, the holiday special, George Lucas getting ideas) over the decades. This book was a refreshing dive back into classic Star Wars, and a welcome reminder of why the universe has been so huge for so long.

When I saw the tagline of “40 stories c
Joe
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
A sequel to the amazing "From a Certain Point of View: A New Hope", this book is forty short stories celebrating the 40th anniversary of the release of The Empire Strikes Back. Unfortunately, lightning doesn't quite strike twice here. Whereas the stories in that first volume make the story seem deeper and richer, most of these seemed silly or superfluous.

Eyes of the Empire: Told from the perspective of the operator of the probe droid that found the rebel base on Hoth. I enjoy her arc from Imperi
Para (wanderer)
ARC received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When I read the first anthology, I knew I will be going for the others if I get the chance. I loved the idea of Star Wars seen from the POV of minor, unimportant characters, I especially hoped for more Stormtrooper (or better, imperial guard) POVs.

Unfortunately, even accounting for the fact that whatever anthology you take, not all the stories are going to be good, this one still felt lackluster in comparison.

My favourite stories w
Patrick
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fall-2020
I am convinced that there is untapped potential for provocative and exciting literary experiences within the confines of pop genre material like Star Wars.

This book doesn't help.

A fun concept. Impressive dedication to theme. Not well executed. Two back-to-back stories by Jason Fry and Seth Dickinson stand out as being fun and nicely done. There rest is forgettable.

Some day...
Jaime K
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- I absolutely love how many of these stories focus on Leia’s work, and how helpful she is. She’s a great leader and person, and this book exemplifies that.
- I don’t like how often inappropriate language is used (even ‘ass’ and ‘pissed’--Star Wars should be friendly for all ages).
- I’m tickled, from “Ion Control” on, how the Rebels find entertainment (and betting) in Han’s approaches to Leia. And later, it humors me as well that so many on Cloud City didn’t realize Vader was a real person.
- It b
Eric
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I definitely enjoyed this volume more than the New Hope version. I think that may have been that the background characters in Echo Base and Cloud City were more appealing to me. Plus we get multiple Bounty Hunter chapters which was fantastic!
Maggie Lovitt
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Wars celebrates forty years of The Empire Strikes Back with forty stories that bring to life new points of view during a pivotal moment in galactic history.

READ MY FULL REVIEW AT YOUR MONEY GEEK: https://yourmoneygeek.com/review-from...

Over the past few years, Star Wars has excelled at ambitious anthologies that bring new tales to the forefront of familiar stories. Greg Rucka tackled the Before Awakening anthology, Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View brought together forty authors to e
Andrew Powers
Nov 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Star Wars is really dumb and really amazing at the same time and this book perfectly illustrates that by wildly switching from being incredibly good to incredibly stupid every few pages.
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author line-up for this book still blows my mind and it’s been SO much fun to see what some of my favorite authors did with these characters. Plus this short story collection really does an awesome job diving into side characters (including some that I would never have guessed would be included!) and really fleshing out this world. Also, the first half of this book got me through election week, which is really a testament to how excellent some of these authors are at writing short stories.

If
Ola G
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fantasy, sw
5.5/10 stars

Full review on my blog here.

From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back is a collection of 40 short stories commissioned for the 40th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back's memorable debut long long ago. It’s a second such venture, after a collection of stories centered around New Hope met with fans’ enthusiasm and quite solid approval – and we all know what a rowdy and unruly and spoiled bunch SW fans usually are 😉.

I haven’t read the first collection, but buoyed by the f
Casey the Reader
Thanks to Del Rey Books for the free advance copy of this book.

📚 This was so fun to read! Lots of authors I already loved, and I discovered a few new-to-me favorites.
📚 These stories are all so nuanced and thoughtful about what life for peripheral characters in the movie might be like. Some we already know, like Wedge Antilles, and some are completely fabricated, like a scientist studying ice slugs on Hoth.
📚 My favorites were the stories from the points of view of animals - I never expected to fe
Nathalie
Man, this was disappointing. It honestly made me question my earlier review of the similar A New Hope novel, as I distinctly remember enjoying that a whole lot.

This movie doesn't really lend itself to "40 random short stories from other characters" as well as A New Hope does. It only really goes to Hoth (which I never found the most exciting part) and Cloud City, and neither setting's side characters are really fascinating enough to write about, and the book struggles to make them interesting.

I
Stephanie
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars, sci-fi
For the longest time, until Rogue One: A Star Wars Story came and now shares that no. 1 spot, it was The Empire Strikes Back that was my absolute favorite Star Wars movie. So when I heard news about this book, I was pretty excited. And let me say that it was a lot of fun to read this side-by-side with the movie’s novelization by Donald F. Glut!

There are some great gems in this collection. A few took me by pleasant surprise. But there are also some that I thought were a waste of time, and then th
Dominic
Dec 07, 2020 rated it liked it
My favorite Star Wars books as a kid were the “Tales of…” series edited by Kevin J. Anderson. Those books imbued the Galaxy Far, Far Away with the sense that Greedo, Dengar, Bib Fortuna, and the hundreds of minor background characters from the films each had stories of their own. Those books – and the fan hunger for more stories – are a major part of the reason why the Star Wars franchise has been able to grow beyond the Skywalker saga through shows like The Mandalorian.

The “From a Certain Point
Jordan Anderson
Hard to believe it’s already been 3 years since the first From a Certain Point of View randomly showed up in the middle of Star Wars canon and showed that despite many of its failings, Disney (and Del Rey) could still produce decent stories in the franchise.

Now the Disney/Del Rey team strikes back (ha! Get it?) with yet another group of 40 short stories, all set in and around the same time and locations of The Empire Strikes Back and the question is, can lightning strike twice and can the Disney
Gary Fisher
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get the Audible version if you can.

I love, love, love this series. “Behind the scenes” stories told from the point of view of innocent bystanders, lookers on and the occasional slightly-more-intelligent-than-we-thought alien animals.

You know, one of those extras in the background in Cloud City. Or a less-than-enthusiastic Storm Trooper. Or the next in command to the guy who was just force choked.

I bought this and the previous book in the series on both Kindle and Audible, but from here on in I
Star Wars Book Club: From a Certain Point of View: TESB 5 41 Jan 04, 2021 11:26AM

• Victory's Price (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #3)
  • The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy, #3)
  • The Novice (Black Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1)
  • The End of the Ocean (Climate Quartet, #2)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Only Ever Her
  • Brotherhood (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: The Princess and the Scoundrel
  • Doctor Aphra (Star Wars)
  • The Haunting of Brynn Wilder
  • Meet Me at World's End (Bunker, #2)
  • The Weight of Ink
  • 4X Four Hex (Avila Online #1)
  • Ruthless (The Completionist Chronicles, #5)
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
  • Fight and Flight (Magic 2.0, #4)
See top shelves…

Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View (2 books)
  • Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View (From a Certain Point of View, #1)

News & Interviews

With more than 5.7 million votes cast and counted, the 14th Annual Goodreads Choice Awards are now official. Launched in 2009,...
“Authoritarians do not announce themselves and knock down your door. They are invited in.” 3 likes
“Harmony, we seek.
Reality, we accept.
The future, we behold.
Feel the Force and go beyond.”
1 likes