Start by marking “Goldilocks” as Want to Read:
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

The Earth is in environmental collapse. The future of humanity hangs in the balance. But a team of women are preparing to save it. Even if theyll need to steal a spaceship to do it.

Despite increasing restrictions on the freedoms of women on Earth, Valerie Black is spearheading the first all-female mission to a planet in the Goldilocks Zone, where conditions are just right
Expected publication: April 30th 2020 by Headline Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Goldilocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldilocks

Start your review of Goldilocks
Emily May
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, arc, 2020
So many went about their day-to-day life with the vague unease that things were sliding past the point of no return. It was easier to push it away, to focus on the problems that could be solved. What to have for dinner. Fretting about how to pay for that leak in the roof. Those in power can worry about the larger things-- that's why we voted for them. What can one person do?

4 1/2 stars. Laura Lam is a seriously underrated author. I haven't read all of her books, but I've enjoyed everything
Ash
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of science fiction and feminism
Thank you to NetGalley and Orbit Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

As climate change ravages the Earth and governments around the world gradually erode womens rights, a crew of five highly qualified women steal a spaceship and travel to an Earth-like extrasolar planet. Never has a books premise so thoroughly appealed to my specific interests: science, space travel, climate change, feminism.

Unfortunately, Goldilocks suffered in its execution, and I couldnt give
Emer (A Little Haze)
Goldilocks is pitched as The Martian meets The Handmaids Tale as it marries issues of womens rights with a space set storyline about the earth trying to solve issues of climate change by creating a new home for humanity on a distant planet.

And while it is an incredibly thought provoking read with an interesting plot I feel that the book could have been so much more.

The story begins with five women stealing a spaceship from NASA and their attempts to make it to a new Earth-like planet called
Laura Lam
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I always do little picture reviews of my books, so why break the trend?

Goldilocks is the Martian by way of Handmaid's Tale.

It stars Naomi Lovelace, the ship's botanist. I imagine her as Caroline Ford.

The ship's captain is Naomi Black, CEO of Hawthorne, which was co-founded with Naomi's mother, Catherine. After Catherine died, Valerie took Naomi in. I imagine her as Jodie Foster. Think Elon Musk meets Sigourney Weaver.

She and three other women (Irene Hart, Oksana Lebedeva & Jerrie Hixon)
Blaine
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Review held until April 21, 2010 at publishers request. ...more
The Martian meets The Handmaids Tale? Hell yes I want to read it! ...more
Georgina
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, kindle
Thank you to Netgalley and Orbit Books for granting me an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

This book releases on 5th May 2020!

24.02.20 3 stars
Goldilocks has been described as The Martian meets The Handmaid's Tale. It follows a five woman crew on a spaceship to a new planet - Cavendish. Earth is dying, and will soon be uninhabitable. The human race needs to start civilization again and build a new world from scratch. Women have been slowly pushed out of the workforce,
Marieke
Oct 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
I'm a pretty simple person. I see Laura Lam, I add it to my TBR.
Nina
I absolutely devoured this book, I thought it was brilliant! This is the first time in a long time (potentially this year?) where Ive read a book that Ive been unable to put down. This is exactly what I want from my sci-fi dystopian books, and I cant wait to buy a physical copy when its released later this year. Would definitely recommend to any science fiction lovers out there! Keep an eye out. ...more
Wendi Lee
First off, a big thank you to Netgalley and Orbit Books for an ARC. I was very excited about this book to begin with, and it made my day to receive an ARC.

Goldilocks is cli-fi novel about a crew of female astronauts flying to Cavendish, a planet identified as habitable outside our solar system. There is definitely a sense of urgency because Earth has 20-30 more years before it becomes ravaged by global warming. While the crew members are all highly trained, there's one snag - they aren't the
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book took me completely out of my comfort zone to a genre I rarely read. Once in a while I like to push myself and I surprised myself with this story.

The plot was very interesting with an all female mission to another planet. Even though its not a genre I normally read I found myself eager to read it.

Reading this I can see that the author invested quite some time in research. Will definitely be looking into her other books.
Rhys Thomas
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Naomi Lovelace is on board the Atalanta, a ship carrying a group of female astronauts to the newly discovered habitable planet, Cavendish. Earth is dying and humanity needs to find a new home. The only problem is the astronauts aren't sanctioned to be on this mission, and their ship is stolen.

This is a more beautiful than usual piece of science fiction. The tech and ideas are all there but the cast of characters take the book to a different level.

The central characters of Naomi Lovelace and the
Kaora
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading something by this author, but once I saw the cover and read the blurb I was hooked.

This book was impressive, albeit somewhat scary of how plausible it could be years in the future. It took current events, such as the attempts to overturn Roe vs Wade and ran with it, creating a very believable scenario, which left me contemplating the issues it raises long after I turned the last page. I enjoy a book that really makes you think, and on that this delivered.

I flew
Shell Hunt
Mar 28, 2020 added it
Shelves: arc
An all female crew steals a space shuttle and heads for a new planet to escape the death of Earth and all the breakdowns in society around women.
Botanist, Naomi, is stoked to join under her adoptive mom's command.
Both are hiding some big secrets that destroy individuals and the whole future of humanity.
Short early review: This hook was everything I wanted and everything I didn't know I wanted. You're going to want to stick this in your TBR.
Full review to come.
Release date: 5/5/20
Big shout out
Megan  (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received this free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Goldilocks had so much potential, and I did enjoy it, it just fell a little flat in places for me. Full review to come soon.
Stephanie Biek
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ark I purchased on eBay. The store was a very intense, fast-paced thriller in space. In the future society where the earth is falling apart, and women have been edged out of almost all industry and working positions, five women steal a spaceship and take off in a space to find a new planet. Told back-and-forth in flashes, it really moves fast. Really great read.
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic scifi story! I am always a little bit skeptical, going into a book like this. The first all female space mission, in a future where Roe vs Wade has been overturned, there is a child tax starting with your second child, and women are expected to stay home with the kids. Of course they had to fight to even be considered for employment at NASA, much less be chosen for a mission.

But Laura Lam completely nailed it. Naomi was a great main character and the others were well fleshed
Rebecca
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-favourites
This book hit a little too close to home. Set in a post global warming world where the human race is in a race for survival. People have to wear protective masks outside, the sea is kept at bay with huge concrete walls and terrible weather systems affect what little survivable land is left. Valerie Black has long since decided that Earth and the human race cannot survive much longer and found Cavendish a planet in the Goldilocks zone of a Gas giant. Neither too hot nor too cold, the right ...more
J. D. Roberts
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5* Good read. Enjoyable.

I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Firstly, let me say this is not the typical Sci-fi book Id normally read. Now I have a blog up and running and have invited others to join me, I am working on expanding my reading horizons and promoting diversity. It is also the first book I have read by Laura Lam. I can safely say I enjoyed this book, having read it over two days.

Goldilocks follows an all-female
Brandy {The Review Booth}
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: space, dystopian Earth, thriller, suspense, space travel
Recommended to Brandy by: NetGalley
Dr. Valerie Black is covertly assembling an all-female team for a mission in spite of women being systematically forced out of the work force or sidelined to merely desk jobs. Humanity's errant disregard for Earth has doomed future generations chances of growing up on their own planet. The mission is fairly simple: steal a space faring ship and attempt a virgin jump to a planet with similar to Earth in the Goldilocks Zone.

Valerie has spent a significant amount of time and money cultivating and
Matthew Lloyd
Content warning: current events (as of March 2020) may affect your experience reading this novel. I found it pretty intense at times. YMMV

In the near future, Earth is doomed. Humanity has done nothing to stem global warming, and social changes are ever more regressive and patriarchal. On the horizon is Cavendish: a planet, ten light years away, in the 'Goldilocks zone' of its star, rendering it habitable to human life. Various space agencies have been working toward getting to Cavendish, but
Jennifer Oakley
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
In short: I loved this book.

The author billed this book as "The Martian meets The Handmaid's Tale." It was that, and then some. In this imagined near-ish future, the effects of climate change are in full swing. Seas are rising. Wildfires are ripping through the country. The air is not breathable without a filter mask. Population growth is strictly limited. Basically, the Earth is dying. On top of all that, women are slowly being edged out of the workplace and losing their rights.

So let's start
Hannah Vestal
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Goldilocks Zone is what scientists use to describe as the habitable zone that can support life. What is life? It can be humans, animals, bacteria, microbes, or a number of other things. For the novel Goldilocks, the name also refers to the moral dilemmas facing an all-female team of scientists on board a commandeered spaceship as they find their mission, and leader, are not all they seem to be.

Goldilocks grabbed my attention because of all-female astronauts. Once I read the book, I found it
Danielle - BookishRhetor
First, thank you to Orbit Books and Netgalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

What can I say about Goldilocks? I absolutely loved it! Its set in a future dystopian society where an apocalypse is on the horizon. Women are getting pushed out of the workforce, and the world is reverting back to a 1950s mentality. A group of five womenValerie, Naomi, Hixon, Hart, and Lebedevasteal a space shuttle and set out to be the first people to land on a newly discovered planet
Danielle - BookishRhetor
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it

Amy
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goldilocks is set in the future where women are being forced out of their jobs to stay home and take care of the one child they can have before paying a steep "child tax" on any additional children they may have. The climate is ravaging the earth and scientists best guess is that Earth may have another 30 years before it has been completely exhausted of resources and mankind most likely will not survive.
Naomi is a botanical researcher who specializes in growing plants that can survive on other
Paul
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Lams fine focus in this novel is exquisite. She has total control of the individual emotions and stories of each of the crew members. I really enjoyed the jumps back in time as we see the crew members developing in their careers. And I thought the science was done well enough that I could definitely go along for the ride without having to question the details. The conflicts come in waves: Will they get away with stealing the starship? Do they have the mental toughness to be cooped up in those ...more
Crystal Steele
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This one is hard for me to review as it really wasn't a story I enjoyed but not because of writing style or anything. It was just way out of my comfort zone, so please take my review w/ a grain of salt.

Climate change has made Earth almost totally uninhabitable, women have somehow lost any gain on equality that the #metoo movement has brought, there's a limit on how many children families are allowed to have without paying steep taxes... all in all we've gone to sh%*. Fortunately though, space
Reese
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
3.5 stars. This book is extremely timely with gender inequality issues, environmental almost collapse of the entire earth, marginalizing politics. It really speaks to so many of the things that are plaguing us now in a future that seems really real.

This book is difficult for me to review. Overall I think the best word to describe this book is frustrating. Maddening at times. And then that decision at the end. Gah. That about killed me!! I just wanted them to go all the way... but I do agree
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Ark (Children of a Dead Earth, #1)
  • Starship Repo
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • The Chill
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Gate Crashers
  • Lying Next to Me
  • The Eighth Sister (Charles Jenkins #1)
  • What Lies Between Us
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw #1)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • The Beekeeper of Aleppo
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The Ninth Child
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Queenie
Please contact me via the contact page on my website as opposed to GR mail.

Laura Lam was born in the late eighties and raised near San Francisco, California, by two former Haight-Ashbury hippies.

After studying literature and creative writing at university, she relocated to Scotland to be with the partner she met online when they were teenagers and he insulted her taste in books and she insulted

News & Interviews

“Everyone had grown used to giving orders to the pleasant-voiced feminine robots. Alexa, Siri, Sophia, Sage, do this for me. A perky ‘okay’, and your wish was her command. They’d all been doing it for years before women started realising the men in their lives had been conditioned to do the same to them. And by then it was too late.” 1 likes
“Really, they were afraid of women. Or hated them. Wasn’t that much the same thing?” 1 likes