Start by marking “A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2)

A Charmed Death

(A Bewitching Mystery #2)

Maggie O'Neill was just a small-town girl, stuck in a dead-end job--until she started working at Enchantments, Stony Mill's finest mystical antique shop.

Now Maggie is Indiana's newest witch. Learning to cope with her newfound powers is tough enough, but add to that keeping the stock at Enchantments organized and remembering to tape reruns of her favorite show, Magnum, P.I.
Published December 5th 2006 by Berkley Prime Crime

To ask other readers questions about A Charmed Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Charmed Death

Start your review of A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2)
Kat
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, magickal, mysterious
Basic Plot: Maggie continues to learn about her empathy, continues to stumble through amateur sleuthing, and continues to not have a boyfriend.

If I hadn't already picked up the next book in the series from the library, I'd most likely stop reading these books here and now, and never think twice about it. It's not that this is a *bad* book series, per say, but there are things about it that just hurt my brain.

Let's start with the characters, shall we?

Marcus: wears leather pants, has beautiful lon
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
The fun subgenre of paranormal, cozy mysteries (double-sub really) usually dishes out cute situations, humorous pitfalls and of course a dash of magically-inclined charm. Maybe that’s why this failed? It just didn’t do enough of those traits.

Story isn’t too bad – an obnoxious teen gets killed, the small town finds it tragic, and our protagonist solves the crime. She works at a shop, Enchanted, under her employer, pro-witch type.

The start is semi-sluggish but needed to establish scene of crime.
Maureen
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
First I've read in this series....thought Maggie was a bit timid for just finding her powers...sort of wished she wasn't so, but the ending turned out hopeful...will try another in this series..
The second book in the Bewitching Mystery series.

It's about 2 months after the first book took place and the town of Stony Mill is still unsettled after the murder of one of it's residence. Sadly more mayhem is in store for the town in the shape of a young Lolita who meets an untimely end. Maggie, who seems to be channeling her favorite TV hunk Magnum P.I., starts poking her nose in where it doesn't belong - and once again it lands her in (Cliche Warning!) hot water.

I knew who did it immediatly
Jolene Green
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I admit to being one of those people who do occasionially pick a book by the cover. I expected this book to have some magic and comedy based on the cover and the review statements. The problem is that the magic and humor in this story are like the dash of salt you toss into cookie dough. You hardly notice it's there. The main character, Maggie, is likable and has good potential but she is boring. She pines after a guy with no redeemable qualities - seriously we ...more
Beverly
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, witches, 2016
3.5 stars, actually. The second installment of this cozy mystery series is leaps and bounds over the first...lots of quotable lines that I loved.

Maggie is coming to terms with her newly found abilities, and it's none too soon...a teenage patron of the store she works at has been murdered, and the police don't seem to have any leads. It's going to take some witching, some good ok' Hoosier resourcefulness, and a little bit of luck to help solve this mystery.
Debbie Winkler
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ah, Maggie, Maggie, Maggie. So smart one minute and so silly the next! I just love reading about Maggie O’Neill’s character and cannot wait to see what she is going to do next. Maggie thinks that she is being so logical, but she is always jumping to conclusions and doesn’t see what is right in front of her most of the time. Maggie is still holding on to the faint hope that Tom is really interested in her. It has been a couple of months since Tom and Maggie first met in The Trouble With Magic (bo ...more
Carla Latham
May 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the second book in Ms. Alt's "A Bewitching Mystery" series. I'm not sure why I keep reading this series because, so far, the books have been kind of boring. This book picked up the pace about three-quarters of the way through the book. Also, there was a surprise who-dunnit twist. I had figured out who-dunnit pretty quickly in the first and fifth books. In this book, I thought I had the murderer pegged but was pleasantly surprised with the twist!

As I read through the book I had the disti
Wicked
i liked the myster
i liked the story line
i liked the twists
i hated the damn main character that pushes her way into shit saying that the police cant do anything but if she would have handed over the evidence to the police they would have had the evidence sooner to crack the case but oh no she has to do it because shes better than everyone else.
then theres her powers
i thought the first book would have smashed her resistance to her powers or at least make it so she studied and practice so she could
N.N. Light
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really enjoyed this book! It is a fun mystery mixed with magic realism. While it was easy to read, I got lost a few times with the characters and the back story. I would recommend this!
Lyn Mckenzie
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is even better than the first!!!! I loved reading this, it is such an addictive read, I couldn't stop reading this magical journey!

I adored this storyline so much, it is brilliantly written in such a way that compels you to want to know more, not to mention all the twists and surprises that happen in this roller coaster of a book. One of the things that I loved so much about this book was the paranormal aspect as this is something that interests me in my real life and reading the depth
Sep 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Connie N.
#2 in the Bewitching Mystery cozy series

I'd rate this 3.5 stars, if I could. Maggie is an appealing heroine, just learning about her magick capabilities and exploring how to expand them. She works at Enchantments and has gotten involved in a group of paranormal-interested people who have helped her grow. When a teenage girl dies soon after making a purchase at the shop, Maggie feels involved in the search for her killer. She mostly uses guesswork and intelligence to figure things out, but there
Catt
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluffy, sequels
Like its predecessor, this book is a light and cozy read about the people of small-town Stony Mill. The use of stereotypes is liberal, so though the characters are predictable, I found them mostly likeable because sometimes you just want to read about kind, uncomplicated people.

Where the book falls short is the murder mystery. That plotline is very thin, with dull motives and duller clues. Maggie's decision to withhold and bumble around with evidence is hard to sympathize with when she has no st
Chris Meads
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maggie has earned a lot about her new craft and is having some difficulty controlling the emotions (she usually faints if the emotions become too overwhelming). A young female, Amanda, and her friends come into the shop and Amanda buys a very expensive clock for her mom for Christmas (it was close to $500). Where did she get that kind of money?

Plus the girls and most of the small town are talking about a hidden blog which Maggie stumbles upon with the help of another young witch. Then there is
Ricci Beck
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s only the 2nd book in the series, but I’m done. So much potential, but both books were disappointing. The mystery was good, but I hate main characters that behave stupid and Maggie does over and over in this book. Plus so many “clues” that are never linked, several lengthy scenes that end up being pointless. I ended up with a headache after rolling my eyes so much when she talked the receptionist into meeting her during a major snow storm. The ending was just horrible. It wasn’t a a twist fo ...more
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
After the events in book 1 of the series (The Trouble With Magic) Maggie has been left in charge of Enchantments whilst her boss, Liss, recovers (Maggie does have some assistance at the weekends and some evenings from a High School girl), as well as all the work Maggie is also trying to get a handle on her Empath abilities and her witchcraft.  When she sees an altercation between a local "princess" and a Goth girl (the latter is related to Marcus - one of the coven) her empathic side isn't happy ...more
Briana
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the series and picks up shortly after the first. The mystery part of the book is a well a little lame and I would like there to be more of connection between the magick in it and the mystery . This book had more but still it was confusing there was a spell but the connection with solving the mystery seemed weak at best. also the main character needs more confidence. This is one of those feel sorry for me cause I don't fit in and I don't have enough confidence to stand ...more
Alexandria
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I love the kind characters such as Liss and Marcus, and even Maggie herself. I felt the twist in this book was actually fair well-hidden, and that the final climax was written perfectly to leave the reader a little breathless through the whole thing.

With any luck, Deputy Fielding will overcome some of his issues and Maggie can learn to piece things together just a wee bit faster.

All in all, however, this is a wonderful series if you're looking for a quick cozy mystery series and magic is one o
Gen
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maggie is slowly becoming more. However, she is still struggling with her faith that her Grandmother drilled into her skull growing up and what she is learning about the invisible world around her. She again get herself in another murder mystery in this installment. It's ironic she doesn't see herself as a heroine. Her human failing is that her love life. She doesn't have one and is trying to come to term with that emptiness. I would advise her not rush, because her sister does not seem to be th ...more
Levaria
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book better than the first one, but I'm not in love with the series. This will probably be the last one I read.

I'm still not a fan of the main character--especially her not-so-bright actions (though kind of expected in cozy mysteries) nor her attraction/interaction with her main love interest.

The plot itself was pretty good: more magic, more 'suspense,' and a better job at characterization (for both major and minor characters).
Laura Boston
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was so excited to read this series once I found out about it and even though I gave the 1st book 3 stars I just can't give the 2nd one anymore than 2. I really really wanted to enjoy this series and read all of them but sadly I will not continue on. I can understand Maggie's apprehension in the 1st book but having her still scared of her own shadow in the second and then not able to stand up for herself is just too much for me.
Al
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very gentle mystery with a bit of a possible romance and in a mild paranormal setting. Good characters, well put together variation of today's world that the characters move in. Very excellent descriptions of settings without boring one with minute details. Just the right amount of detail throughout. Good enough to re-read in a year or so. Want to read more by Alt.
Rebecca Reynolds
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I liked this one better than the first book, mainly because we're starting to get more of a progression into the paranormal aspects of the story (obviously I'm a fan). I actually guessed who the "villain" was before Maggie did, so I wasn't surprised by the ending. And although I had a few eye-roll moments, I'm enjoying the simplicity and cheesy-ness of this series.
I read the first in this series many years ago. Having read all the books in every mystery series I’m currently interested in, I got kind of desperate and decided to go back to this mystery series. Well, I remember why I didn’t continue. The book was decent but not great. I might continue with the series if I feel desperate again, but it’s not a first choice.
Aki
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I think the premise for this could have been better besides a mean girl dying. but overall I think the relationship between Marcus and Maggie improved so I'm looking forward to them getting together eventually.
Feyheart
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love reading of Maggie's growth in Magick. She's not as condemning in this book. I do not like Tom the Cop. He is rude and close-minded and she should just be with Marcus haha. Love the series and already have the next book to continue reading.
Stacey
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Better than the first book. A little more focused although it seemed as though some random characters were kinda thrown in aka Randy. I liked seeing her use her powers and have more of the supernatural side used.
Laura Ruetz
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very entertaining book. Great mystery with a nice premise. As you can guess from the title, it has a paranormal tone to it, as it deals with witches. Fun cozy mystery that has enjoyable characters and an engaging plot.
Terri Benedict
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
flying through this series. It's short, sweet, kinda predictable but sometimes that is just what you need. Characters are decently fleshed out, setting is believable as a vaguely small to mid-size mid-western town ... enough to get a feel for it. Fun easy series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1)
  • A Potion to Die For (A Magic Potion Mystery, #1)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Daisies for Innocence (Enchanted Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Better Read Than Dead (Psychic Eye Mystery, #2)
  • The Witch and the Dead (A Wishcraft Mystery #7)
  • Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1)
  • Spells and Scones (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #6)
  • Hexes and Hemlines (A Witchcraft Mystery, #3)
  • On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1)
  • Death and Daisies (A Magic Garden Mystery #2)
  • Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #1)
  • Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #2)
  • Verse and Vengeance (Magical Bookshop, #4)
  • Toil and Trouble (Jolie Wilkins, #2)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. McClure (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)
From the Authors Website

Madelyn Alt is the national bestselling author of the witchy and hip Bewitching Mystery Series, published by Berkley Prime Crime. The Bewitching series features small town single girl and fledgling empath Maggie O'Neill, her witchy boss, and an unlikely circle of ghosthunting friends, the N.I.G.H.T.S., as they investigate an increasing level of paranormal disturbance--not

A Bewitching Mystery (8 books)
  • The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery, #1)
  • Hex Marks the Spot (A Bewitching Mystery, #3)
  • No Rest for the Wiccan (A Bewitching Mystery, #4)
  • Where There's a Witch (A Bewitching Mystery, #5)
  • A Witch in Time (A Bewitching Mystery, #6)
  • Home for a Spell (A Bewitching Mystery, #7)
  • In Charm's Way (A Bewitching Mystery, #8)

News & Interviews

“Lady of the silver moon
Enchantress of the night
Protect me and mine within this circle fairly cast.
Earth Mother, mother of the sleeping earth,
Keep safe all who gather here
Within the protective shelter of your arms.

By the earth that is Her body,
By the air that is Her breath,
By the fire that is Her bright spirit,
And by the living waters of Her womb,
Our circle is cast,
None shall come to harm here,
From any forces,
On any level.

As we will,
So shall it be done.
As we will,
So mote it be.”
89 likes
“Funny how every day we are given choices to make in our lives. Some are just more far-reaching than others.” 2 likes