Start by marking “Architecture Patterns with Python: How to Apply DDD, Ports and Adapters, and Enterprise Architecture Design Patterns in a Pythonic Way” as Want to Read:

As Python continues to grow in popularity, projects are becoming larger and more complex. Many Python developers are now taking an interest in high-level software architecture patterns such as hexagonal/clean architecture, event-driven architecture, and strategic patterns prescribed by domain-driven design (DDD). But translating those patterns into Python isn't always stra ...more
Published May 12th 2020 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Architecture Patterns with Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Architecture Patterns with Python

Start your review of Architecture Patterns with Python: How to Apply DDD, Ports and Adapters, and Enterprise Architecture Design Patterns in a Pythonic Way
Sebastian Gebski
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've picked this one because of pure curiosity. The majority of my experience is with strongly & statically typed programming languages - applying DDD in such conditions appears very different than in Python (which is relatively new to me). So I wanted to check this out - whether certain particles (e.g. dependency injection, abstracting the services out, etc.) make any sense here or maybe there are some very different patterns to be used.

Before I state my opinion whether the book is good or not
Denis Capeto
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. One of the best books I've read on the topic for the following reasons:
- Very easy to follow
- Each presented concept end up with a pros and cons table
- Exceptional sense of humor that makes you keep reading
- Straight to the point language. No filler.
- Short chapter so that you can read one chapter a day
- Based on a simple project
- It's excellent for Pythonists that want to write robust applications
Aygül Salahlı
Mar 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dev, tech
Brilliant flow of explaining topics and answering questions arose in the reader's mind. It's well organized with the pros and cons of each concept, leaving the decision to the reader.

This felt like talking to a friend, discussing details with a sense of humour.

Well done!
Nahuel
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book explains each pattern with clear examples with pros and cons to let you decide.
It also has a familiar tone as it doesn't pretend to have the last word, just a few battle tested patterns that may help you.
As for myself, after finishing the book I feel convinced, but because I understand the reasons behind each pattern, not because it has a name and people in other languages use them.

I will also be reading Harry testing book to see if i like it as much as this one
Michael J.
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me so much new information to think about that I'm going to have to let it settle for a while then come back and read it all again.

I'm pretty sure that the mere fact that I have read this is going to save me a lot of trouble in the not too distant future, and stop me going down paths that would not be a good idea in the long run (though, somewhat gratifyingly, it also confirmed my ideas about a few things as well, though even then it gave me something extra to think about).

Very
Kirill Sklyarenko
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading this book, I made a mistake by not believing the authors. In the introduction, they make you understand that it is not a typical Python tutorial material. However, when I first encountered it on their website, I was going to look through, as usual, skipping familiar aspects and paying attention to anything interesting. But, this attitude is wrong in this case. You MUST examine the code, and immediately stop, if anything is not completely clear. Because, down the road, read ...more
Daniel
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engineering
The best book to get familiar with DDD if you are Python developer. A little bit of theory just enough to understand basic concepts and plenty of code examples showing how various principles apply in day to day work with code. I also really like that authors are not dogmatic about whole DDD and clearly show that each element brings value but also trade-offs to consider by the team.

Start here, leave blue and red books on a shelf for later once you have some experience with DDD and are ready to ma
Ghifari Dwiki Ramadhan
May 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'm at Chapter 3 now and I would say this is one of the best technical books I've ever read. Lots of exercises, less filler, useful appendixes & github repo. Love it. ...more
Ryan
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and deep design book

I enjoyed this one enough I'll probably read it twice. Fun and well written, basically never a slog. There's not a lot written on practical large scale application design in python and this was a real treat. I see a ton of ideas I'll apply immediately and others I've already been doing intuitively. Highly recommended.
Maxim
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've learnt a lot from the book. There is a good balance of practice and theory in the book. There are a lot of useful links and references for expanding your knowledge on the topic too.

Much recommend.
Myšo
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really book full of practical examples. It is not very chatty and still gives you enough curiosity to check the presented patterns deeper. Concise and readable code in Python is a great choice for a book explaining the architecture patterns.
Madalin Popa
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book. The authors provide great examples and Harry Percival has an excellent way of writing. This book is like a story.
Casper Weiss
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended. Provides a bunch of good examples and shows great principles to consider when building your next application in python.
Piotr Ujazdowski
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really nice introduction into architectural patters. Examples are in python but the knowledge is valuable for any language user.
Johnny
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the pro and cons for all the patterns explained in the book. This helps you a lot when considering the trade-offs of an approach. Another big benefit of this book is that you have tests for the code. Most books on architecture ignore testing completely, this book here is a pleasant exception.
Unfortunately, this book does not reach the same level as “Test-Driven Web Development with Python“ from the same author.
Sava
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Economics Rules: The Rights and Wrongs of the Dismal Science
  • Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
  • Economix: How and Why Our Economy Works (and Doesn't Work), in Words and Pictures
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • Dare to Lead
  • Clean Architectures in Python
  • Mining the Social Web: Analyzing Data from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Other Social Media Sites
  • Python for Data Analysis
  • The Infinite Game
  • Buddha's Little Finger
  • The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters
  • Realitätsschock
  • Using Asyncio in Python: Understanding Python's Asynchronous Programming Features
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • 15 Secrets Successful People Know About Time Management: The Productivity Habits of 7 Billionaires, 13 Olympic Athletes, 29 Straight-A Students, and 239 Entrepreneurs
  • Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

Secrets between siblings, grandparents with grievances, parents with problems. If you're looking for serious drama, check out these new...