Start by marking “Randomize” as Want to Read:
Randomize

Randomize

(Forward Collection)

3.50  ·  Rating details ·  20,467 ratings  ·  1,754 reviews
In the near future, if Vegas games are ingeniously scam-proof, then the heists have to be too, in this imaginative and whip-smart story by the New York Times bestselling author of The Martian.

An IT whiz at the Babylon Casino is enlisted to upgrade security for the game of keno and its random-number generator. The new quantum computer system is foolproof. But someone on the
Published September 17th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Randomize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Randomize

·  20,467 ratings  ·  1,754 reviews

Start your review of Randomize
Emily May
Sep 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
For no real reason, I decided to read through the Forward collection in order of length, starting with the shortest. That made Randomize the first story I read. And I have to say-- I almost stopped. Nothing about this made me want to read on.

Thankfully, I did read on. Mostly because authors like Blake Crouch and N.K. Jemisin contributed to the collection. I can now say that Randomize was by far my least favourite story. It felt almost as if Weir didn't even try.

I got my partner to read this too
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thankfully this is not my first book at this series because if I start with that, I probably give up on them! This is the most boring, dullest, meaningless story I’ve read from the Forward collection. It is written in quantum mechanics bla bla bla language, (most of the words of it went in my one ear and out the other one!) exhausted me so much. I was so disturbed to take a nap and get a break. I felt like I was trapped in a place keeps playing the same death metal song in high volume over and o ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. Dazzling science can't make up for a mundane plot. Full review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Nick Chen is an IT guy on a mission: when quantum computers become available to consumers, he tries to convince the managers at the Babylon Hotel and Casino where he works to shut down their keno lounge, knowing that quantum computers can quickly crack the random-number generators of the keno game system. When he fails to persuade them, he uses his override passwords to shut down the keno
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This one was by far my least favorite of the Forward Collection.
2 stars is generous.
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
So, what's not to love about this one:
- quantum computers getting into quantum entanglement
- a PHD genius
- casino woes

What I didn't really like is that the PHD wife's brains were being slowly pickled as what, stay-at-home mom without any science involvement? Maybe I missed smth. Or maybe it's our society that misses something: half the population's potential.

The woe's with the society and not with AW. So, it's still an excellent read. Even if somewhat naïve one.
Sandra
Nov 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story, kb, fiction
Enjoyable short story that has to do with a Las Vegas casino, quantum computers, and more. A quick and clever read!
Kayla Dawn
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
2,5 * - This was just a big "meh" story for me. ...more
Matthew
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, own, sci-fi, audio, 2020
Short and sweet - 4 stars

Not too much to say about a 40 minute audiobook. An enjoyable short story speculating on how improvements in science and technology could allow for the defeat of the random number generator and what that could mean for the gambling industry. An Ocean's 2 or 3, if you will.

Weir does pretty good in giving enough background, build-up, and climax within a very short period of time. I could easily find myself enjoying many short stories like this . . . luckily they have 5 oth
Richard Derus
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: downloads
Rating: 4.25* of five

I do so love a heist story with a happy ending. Like, a lot. *happy sigh*

And when the crisis came, I found myself thinking, "howinahell could {the sleazeball character} say no?" Luckily no was not said.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Damn it no! Sigh...

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Henk
Dec 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned-e-books
A shoddy short story, with people talking and exposing plans like cartoon bad guys
Definitely the most underwhelming of the Forward Stories Collection in my opinion, up till now.

Randomize covers gambling, quantum computing and a heist. And still it was very boring in my view.
I still don’t know what keno is, nor what quantum entanglement would specifically entail and finally I don’t understand why a prodigy in quantum computing would need to pull of a heist (instead of working for a Silicon Valley
mina reads™️
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
For a short story about a heist this sure was boring as hell. It read like a textbook entry on quantum whatever interspersed with random characters to use as talking heads to relay this information. It had lots of promise, but I’m sad to say it didn’t work for me at all.
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[1/5 stars] Mini Review: Upon finishing this short story for a published review, my first thought was: “what the hell did I just read?” My second was “where have I seen this author before?” Um, yeah, it’s the author who wrote the well-know book “The Martian.” I had to reconcile the seemingly pointless story with the weight behind a name like that. I haven’t read the The Martian yet, but I’m surprise he took the direction of hacking casino systems instead of something even more futuristic. I coul ...more
Monica
This one seems to be the least liked of the Forward collection but honestly, I liked it. It's a short story about mathematics and quantum computers by a writer who likes science. I thought it was enjoyable. Not too tech-y. A snarky ending. A jab at folks viewed as much smarter than the average human etc.

4 Stars

Listened on Audible. Narration by Janina Garvankar was very good!
Nataliya
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-reads, shorts
“We fight quantum with quantum.”

Meh. Sadly, just meh.

Geeking out can be quite awesome, but this story left me cold.

Maybe it would have worked as an intro chapter to a larger story, with the ideas expanded on and the characters developed - but in its current form it’s just dull.

—————————
The Forward Collection, in the order read:

‘Emergency Skin’ by N.K. Jemisin: Lovely. 5 stars.
‘Randomize’ by Andy Weir: Meh. 2 stars.
‘The Last Conversation’ by Paul Tremblay: Eerie. 4 stars.
‘You Have Arrived a
Constantine
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok

Rating: 2.5/5.0

Genre:
Science Fiction + Novella

For a short book that does not exceed 30 pages, this was not good. The first 50% felt as if I was reading a manual of how a computer works! Blah blah blah, chips, CPUs, Quantum BS and so on!

The other 50% was basically exposing the plan the engineer & his wife had to rob the Casino's money by its owner and making him an offer so he would not hand them to the police! The second half was better but that does not excuse how bad and uninteresting the firs
Char
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this, but not as much as the others in this series.

There didn't seem to be much point to it, but I did like how it ended up.

Trish
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Needed something short to listen to in the gym during my workout and it turns out that these stories are perfect for that.

This is a collection of scifi short stories curated by Blake Crouch (himself a great scifi author), bringing together some of the most well-known names of the genre, each depicting a pivotal moment in technological advancement and a consequence they see in it.
One such well-known author contributing here is Andy Weir, who catapulted himself to fame with his novel The Martian
Megan
Jun 08, 2022 rated it liked it
Edward Lorn
Nov 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
I am constantly surprised at the stuff that gets published simply because the author is established. Formulaic garbage tends to be the output and here it's no different.

This is the most predictable story I've read in a long time. You can figure out everything that happens from the synopsis. If not that, then the very first chapter.

Here, you tell me what happens.

The story is called Randomize. The tale opens in Las Vegas or Reno, can't be bothered to remember which, but it's a city known for its
Bradley
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019-shelf
A nice little story about random numbers (obviously), but what you might not know is that it's also a closed time-like loop that completely eliminates the random element, EVEN WHEN we're dealing with a truly random quantum processor. (Or at least we've established this in the story-concept, with one single exception.)

Am I geeking out a little?

Possibly. :)

This is a pretty sharp cookie.
Michelle
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
This 28 page short story is part of the Forward Collection which was curated by Blake Crouch which at time of posting is available on Kindle Unlimited.

This book is about computer coding and tech isn't my thing however credit where credits due, the author did a fairly good job of explaining and I understood the jist of it. Kind of. Which is why this is my least favourite in the collection, I don't think I got the full value out of it. I did like the authors writing style though so I will try one
Ginger
Dec 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, sci-fi, 2020
3 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️

I think Randomize was the weakest short story in the whole Forward series.
It was still entertaining and I liked the concept of the plot.

The location was a plus for me. Viva Las Vegas!
I wish I was there right now losing money to slot machines and drinking too many cocktails.
But I regress...

Here’s the thing...

The math and quantum physics in this made me feel stoopid. I didn’t understand the concept on how to steal from a casino. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤣😂
If your Will Hunting and studying at MIT at the
Kaleah
2 stars ⭐️⭐️
Hmmm. This was my first experience with Andy Weir. It wasn't terrible, but it was pretty bad. The writing seemed both overly simplistic and juvenile, while also being a bit of a quantum theory word dump. It felt clunky and awkward, as if written by a very inexperienced author. I think my favorite awkward moment was when the Indian wife was talking about quantum stuff, and then we get this random interjection about Indian clothing.

“The 707 does a coherence self-check once a week. When
Krystin | TheF**kingTwist
Book Blog | Bookstagram

I think short stories need to really pack a punch. If you're only reading something for 20-30 minutes, it needs to make an impression.

This did not do that. It's pretty meh.

This spent so much time trying to explain quantum computing and entanglement to the reader that it forgot to tell you anything interesting.

I don't know that there was a point to this at all, other than maybe Vegas casinos fucking gamblers over? Something like that.

When I got to the last sentence, I tho
Hamad
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

★ I like this one but it felt so clinical, cold and geeky!

★ I can understand many readers not liking this one because it was smart, too smart maybe! I think it should have been a bit longer with focus on the characters but the author was geeking out over numbers and quantum physics!

★ If I was a professor and wanted my students to understand probabilities and quantum physics, I would use this one! Worth giving a chance anyway!

You can get more books from
Helena
Jan 28, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
So... What was the point of all this?
Caro (Bookaria)
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short story about a techno-heist that takes place in Las Vegas, from one of my favorite authors, Andy Weir.

In this case, the plot explores quantum computers and random-number generators. It is so short that saying more would be giving away too much. Overall, I enjoyed it and recommend it to readers of science fiction.

This story is part of Forward, a collection of six stories of the near and far future from six great authors.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
4.0 Stars
This was an entertaining short story filled with hard science involving quantum computers and random number generation. I loved the inclusion of a wonderfully smart female character with a diverse background.
Lisa Wolf
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot! The audiobook was a quick, entertaining listen. A couple uses quantum computing to scam a casino -- quite fun.

• The Last Conversation
  • Ark
  • Summer Frost
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Velocity
  • The Way the World Ends (Warmer, #1)
  • Boca Raton (Warmer, #2)
  • Controller (Warmer, #3)
  • There's No Place Like Home (Warmer, #4)
  • Falls the Shadow (Warmer, #5)
  • The Hillside (Warmer, #7)
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • At the Bottom of New Lake (Warmer, #6)
  • The Locked Door
  • Rules of Civility
  • Clap Back (Black Stars, #5)
  • Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
See top shelves…
ANDY WEIR built a career as a software engineer until the success of his first published novel, THE MARTIAN, allowed him to live out his dream of writing fulltime. He is a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects such as relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. He also mixes a mean cocktail. He lives in California. Andy’s next book, ARTEMIS, is ...more

Forward Collection (6 books)
  • Ark
  • Summer Frost
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Last Conversation

Articles featuring this book

"Do you want to write a sci-fi short story?" Blake Crouch asked Andy Weir. This is how Forward, the brand-new collection from...
“The manufacturer has excellent documentation online,” 0 likes
“know exactly how the random qbit values will be made into random numbers.” 0 likes