Start by marking “How Full Is Your Bucket?” as Want to Read:
How Full Is Your Bucket?

How Full Is Your Bucket?

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  5,174 Ratings  ·  526 Reviews
Will be shipped from US. Brand new copy.
Hardcover, Expanded, Anniversary Edition, 128 pages
Published August 10th 2004 by Gallup Press (first published July 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How Full Is Your Bucket?, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Sarah Beth
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book for a Strategic Leadership group I'm a part of at work, which I only reference because I know that I probably would not have ever chosen this book to read on my own. However, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and how applicable it is not only to your professional life, but to all relationships and interactions with anyone you may encounter.

The premise of this book is that in all interactions, we are either filling up someone's bucket or dipping from it. In other words, y
Melinda
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, reference
Is a review that isn't completely upbeat dipping from the author's bucket? I like the basic premise of this book. On an individual level, I agree with the authors. There are some serious energy-suckers/bucket dippers in the world. I plan to do my best to minimize my bucket dipping. I also really enjoyed thinking about the ways one likes to be acknowledged and appreciated. I have to tell my boss in a few weeks how I like to be acknowledged and this book gave me perspective on what I like. Also th ...more
Donna
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
My friend said she thought this book was a cheesy way to get people to remember what they learned from their mamas. But I didn't get that vibe at all when I was reading it. If anything it kind of read like a parable. Things are remembered when they are related to something else that is a familiar concept. The whole bucket and dipper thing was just a tool in making the point and to help it linger longer in case it didn't completely stick.

There are many practical applications of the main message o
Dana
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good, quick read to get ready for the school year. My principal assigned this for the staff to read so we can implement some of the practices and the general idea of the book at school this year. Looking forward to seeing how my students respond to this and how we can work as a class to become bucket fillers.
Travis
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A concise, upbeat self-help book that shows how optimism and positive social interactions can change your life.

"Bucket filling" is an analogy used by the authors, backed by loads (heh) of anecdotal & scientific evidence, to represent how giving pointed individualized praise to those in your family, friends and work can lead to far-reaching mental and physical benefits to productivity and health.

While I love reading feel-good books like this - especially ones so well-organized, backed up by r
Loy Machedo
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
One hundred and twenty eight pages.

Almost every alternate page of a quote with a picture of a bucket.

It is then your spidey senses begin to tingle.

May be this is one of those books that comes out with few words, a lot of wasted space and points of wisdom which are either too philosophical or outright idiotic.

The question is on which side does it gravitate towards more?

The good or evil?

How FULL is Your Bucket? written by Tom Rath and Donald Clifton is a pathetic potpourri of parochial Panglossian
Nick
Dec 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership, own
Rath and Clifton pull their title and theme of the book from a metaphor for personal interaction--a bucket and a dipper. In each interaction you have with another person you either fill that person up or take away from them.
Let me start by saying that I have worked for several people over the years that would have greatly benefited in their business from reading and applying this book's principles. people, especially employees, need specific recognition and/or praise. Rather than constantly fo
Erin
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a short, easy read. While the "bucket" concept is a little bit cheesy, I get the overall point...and it's a good one. We should try to project positivity toward others, thus increasing our own positivity. Too often, in our workplaces and our lives, we hear only the negative and none of the positive. Research has proven this is bad for morale and bad for your health. A good read for those of us struggling with too much negativity.
Mir
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thrift-store
I gave this book 2 stars for general concept. I agree completely with the single page that explained the bucket and how it was to be filled.

The rest of the book, however, was nauseating. It should have literally come with a bucket.
Camille Hoffmann
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a great reminder that we all need more positivity in our lives. As a child, I feel that I was much better at filling other people's buckets and making them feel loved and appreciated, and it's something I have failed to do as consistently as an adult. There were some fascinating studies shared in the book that showed just how much of an impact positive feedback and validation can have on an individual. I left this book with a new resolve to be better at filling others' buckets and ...more
Diddier
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AJ Foster
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short read, this book makes its point and gives just enough supporting material to get the reader thinking in a productive way. Though some sections border on excessive positivity, the central idea is easily understood and immediately applicable.
Ryan Dejonghe
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the best personal success books I have read—ever. One simple strategy, contained in an easy to understand analogy, and everything else starts to fall together.

I had heard my kids talking about bucket filling after some lessons at school. I didn’t really know what they meant until after I read Tom Rath’s other book EAT MOVE SLEEP (which is also an amazing book), which exposed me to the author and this, his previous work.

Unlike EAT MOVE SLEEP, there isn’t a lot to HOW FULL
E
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going through life with a short, handy, happy philosophy – particularly one as affirming as the concept in this book – is very nice. However, a fine line separates simple from simplistic. Although some readers will enjoy the breezy easiness of this approach, others might find it to be just a first step toward becoming more upbeat. Donald O. Clifton, a pioneer in positive psychology, and his co-author and grandson, Tom Rath, developed the “bucket” and “dipper” theories of happy emotions, based on ...more
Amanda
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: business-books
I completely agree with the central tenets of the book--the world is a better place when you put positive energy into it instead of negative. However, the author took it a bit far (really, your positive attitude is responsible for beating cancer? So people who die from cancer just didn't have a good attitude?) and leans on platitudes.

Though different authors, both sets of writers are affiliated with Gallup which made reading this after reading First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greate
Fernanda La Salye
Todos nós possuímos um balde invisível que se enche ou esvazia o tempo inteiro, dependendo do que os outros nos dizem ou fazem. Quando o nosso balde está cheio, nos sentimos ótimos. Quando está vazio, ficamos péssimos. Acontece que todo mundo possui também uma concha invisível. Sempre que a usamos para encher os baldes dos outros, dizendo ou fazendo algo que reforce as suas emoções positivas, acabamos enchendo também o nosso próprio balde. Por outro lado, toda vez que utilizamos essa concha para ...more
Dan Ragsdale
Craig Toerpe
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When working on my master's degree, this was one of the many self-help books I purchased and read. It is a very quick read and can be read apart from Now, Discover Your Strengths. However, I found that reading this book after reading Now, Discover Your Strengths, provided the additional framework needed to qualify "what" I was doing, and in turn, allow me to say, "NO." A very hard work to say, especially with my occupation in churchwork.
The nice thing with the book is it also includes a code fo
Katie
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is just what I needed to start the school year. I am looking forward to introducing it to my 8th grade students. The book is focuses on asking the question, "How full is your bucket?" In order to fill your bucket you need to spread a positive attitude to co-workers, family, friends, and strangers. It is amazing how a positive attitude can influence someone. So ask yourself in every interaction you have, are you filling their bucket or dipping from it. If you are filling it, you are also fil ...more
Marcy Stearns
This is a good simple book to explain the meaning of Do Unto Others. If you can read it without buying it, all the better! The educator's version has good lesson plans in the back -- but seems like they want you to buy all their support materials. With a little creativity, you can create your own materials and save yourself some money.
It is a good reminder with practical suggestions for helping you take charge of your own positivity and how to be be a positive influence with others.
Jeff Schofield
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book had a good premise and and some solid suggestions for being more positive in your life and looking for ways to not only think positively, but to interact with people in a more positive manner. It was a little simplistic, but the point was an easy one to grasp. Overall, I enjoyed this book and will implement some of the suggestions about filling other buckets at home and in the office.
Krissy
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'd recommend this for everyone. It's a short, inspiring read about making your interactions with people--from the person you pass on the street to your co-workers--positve ones: "filling" the bucket of those you encounter as well as your own. (And realize that it's okay to avoid those people who chronically "drain" your bucket.)
alison
Aug 28, 2007 added it
It certainly is an interesting read for those are looking for life metaphors. I am not sure about it yet, but my principal at school is having the staff read it this fall to bring more positivity to our work environment. I love my school so I am all for anything that makes people want to work there!

How Full Is Your Buicket Positive Strategies for Work and Life
Amanda
Feb 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I can't believe this was a best seller. Yeah I agree with the premise to some extent but with the depth they went into it, it could have been 2 pages (spoiler alert!):

1. Be nice to people
2. Don't be mean to people.
Warren Benton
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig"

This is a short book but packed full of insight.  Rath ask how full is your bucket?  Not in the sense of how much you have to do but in the sense of how much has been poured into you.  How many people are trying to build you up?  Studies show that for every 5 moments of building you up it only takes 1 moment to bring you back down.  That means we need to start pouring into others a lot more than what we are doing.  So
Andrea Strickland
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
How Full is Your Bucket is a short, easy read, but full of common sense wisdom. It seems to be mainly geared towards the workplace, but I believe the concept can apply for anywhere you are in life. The concept is simple--be positive and share that Positivity with those around you. While simple, I think all to often we get so wrapped up in the daily grind that we forget to do the things that make life worthwhile.
Samantha Nowatzke
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick read - Wish there was a little more substance but overall premise is solid. Be positive & surround yourself with positive people (personally & professionally) & it will serve you well. I praise very naturally so not sure if it would be more impactful for someone that does not have this tendency.
William Ng
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Short. Concise. Says what the author wants us to hear.

Three stars comes because of brevity. I would've liked to hear more on the development of the theory, more anecdotes on the application, and potential research in the future.
Mrs. Land
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I felt that this book provided a detailed prescription for life empowering strategies. I am always looking for the bright side of things and the book revealed to me that being a bucket filler not only encourages others but myself as well!
Esraa
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the book is about your bucket , how much it is full of positivity , and how much you fill others bucket with positivity too. the first part is about how much your bucket is full affects your happiness , fulfillment and health , the second part is about how to fill other people's bucket
Mentor Texts: Mariah's Third Saturation Book Review 1 3 May 09, 2016 05:41AM
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships
  • Maxwell 3-in1 Special Edition: The Winning Attitude,Developing the Leaders Around You,Becoming a Person of Influence
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • The Velveteen Principles: A Guide to Becoming Real; Hidden Wisdom from a Children's Classic
  • Building Mental Muscle: Conditioning Exercises for the Six Intelligence Zones
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • 10 Simple Secrets of the World's Greatest Business Communicators
  • Fish! Tales: Real-Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life
  • The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program
  • Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done
  • The Introvert's Guide to Success in Business and Leadership
  • Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude: How to Find, Build and Keep a Yes! Attitude for a Lifetime of Success
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
ARE YOU FULLY CHARGED?, the latest national bestseller by Tom Rath, was released in mid 2015. Tom's six NYT/WSJ bestsellers have sold more than 6 million copies and made over 300 appearances on the Wall Street Journal Bestseller list. Connect with Tom at:

- www.tomrath.org
- Twitter.com/TomCRath
- Facebook.com/AuthorTomRath
- Google.com/+TomRath
- Linkedin.com/in/trath/
More about Tom Rath...
“The lesson here is clear: If you want people to understand that you value their contributions and that they are important, the recognition and praise you provide must have meaning that is specific to each individual.” 7 likes
“Instead of celebrating what makes each child unique, most parents push their children to "fit in" so that they don't "stick out." This unwittingly stomps out individuality and encourages conformity, despite these parents' good intentions” 5 likes