Start by marking “How Full Is Your Bucket?” as Want to Read:
How Full Is Your Bucket?

How Full Is Your Bucket?

Will be shipped from US. Brand new copy.
Hardcover, Expanded, Anniversary Edition, 160 pages
Published August 10th 2004 by Gallup Press (first published July 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How Full Is Your Bucket?, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of How Full Is Your Bucket?
Sarah Beth
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book for a Strategic Leadership group I'm a part of at work, which I only reference because I know that I probably would not have ever chosen this book to read on my own. However, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and how applicable it is not only to your professional life, but to all relationships and interactions with anyone you may encounter.

The premise of this book is that in all interactions, we are either filling up someone's bucket or dipping from it. In other words,
Melinda
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, reference
Is a review that isn't completely upbeat dipping from the author's bucket? I like the basic premise of this book. On an individual level, I agree with the authors. There are some serious energy-suckers/bucket dippers in the world. I plan to do my best to minimize my bucket dipping. I also really enjoyed thinking about the ways one likes to be acknowledged and appreciated. I have to tell my boss in a few weeks how I like to be acknowledged and this book gave me perspective on what I like. Also ...more
Donna
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
My friend said she thought this book was a cheesy way to get people to remember what they learned from their mamas. But I didn't get that vibe at all when I was reading it. If anything it kind of read like a parable. Things are remembered when they are related to something else that is a familiar concept. The whole bucket and dipper thing was just a tool in making the point and to help it linger longer in case it didn't completely stick.

There are many practical applications of the main message
Dana
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good, quick read to get ready for the school year. My principal assigned this for the staff to read so we can implement some of the practices and the general idea of the book at school this year. Looking forward to seeing how my students respond to this and how we can work as a class to become bucket fillers.
Garrett Pope
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response:
I thought this book was one of the better books I read so far this year. It definitely made me think a little about myself and how I should be way more positive with life. I also thought this book was kind of short, because it was only about 80 pages.

Plot:
How Full Is Your Bucket by Tom Rath is a book about how to use positivity. The first section of this book is all about negativity. According to this book, the North Koreans would take all of the positive letters the POWs
Erin
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a short, easy read. While the "bucket" concept is a little bit cheesy, I get the overall point...and it's a good one. We should try to project positivity toward others, thus increasing our own positivity. Too often, in our workplaces and our lives, we hear only the negative and none of the positive. Research has proven this is bad for morale and bad for your health. A good read for those of us struggling with too much negativity.
Katie
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is just what I needed to start the school year. I am looking forward to introducing it to my 8th grade students. The book is focuses on asking the question, "How full is your bucket?" In order to fill your bucket you need to spread a positive attitude to co-workers, family, friends, and strangers. It is amazing how a positive attitude can influence someone. So ask yourself in every interaction you have, are you filling their bucket or dipping from it. If you are filling it, you are also ...more
Travis
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A concise, upbeat self-help book that shows how optimism and positive social interactions can change your life.

"Bucket filling" is an analogy used by the authors, backed by loads (heh) of anecdotal & scientific evidence, to represent how giving pointed individualized praise to those in your family, friends and work can lead to far-reaching mental and physical benefits to productivity and health.

While I love reading feel-good books like this - especially ones so well-organized, backed up by
Lorrie
This book was a gift from my boss. Common sense information as to how words of encouragement & kindness reap better results than negative responses in both the work world as well as in the home. The small book can be read quickly and is only about half filled with actual reading material. The final half is mostly references and “how to” advice with forms that can be used in the workplace. It’s a shiny cover that probably attracts easily & sells well for gifts. Reminded me of those “ ...more
Loy Machedo
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
One hundred and twenty eight pages.

Almost every alternate page of a quote with a picture of a bucket.

It is then your spidey senses begin to tingle.

May be this is one of those books that comes out with few words, a lot of wasted space and points of wisdom which are either too philosophical or outright idiotic.

The question is on which side does it gravitate towards more?

The good or evil?

How FULL is Your Bucket? written by Tom Rath and Donald Clifton is a pathetic potpourri of parochial Panglossian
Nick
Dec 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership, own
Rath and Clifton pull their title and theme of the book from a metaphor for personal interaction--a bucket and a dipper. In each interaction you have with another person you either fill that person up or take away from them.
Let me start by saying that I have worked for several people over the years that would have greatly benefited in their business from reading and applying this book's principles. people, especially employees, need specific recognition and/or praise. Rather than constantly
Mir
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I gave this book 2 stars for general concept. I agree completely with the single page that explained the bucket and how it was to be filled.

The rest of the book, however, was nauseating. It should have literally come with a bucket.
Camille Hoffmann
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a great reminder that we all need more positivity in our lives. As a child, I feel that I was much better at filling other people's buckets and making them feel loved and appreciated, and it's something I have failed to do as consistently as an adult. There were some fascinating studies shared in the book that showed just how much of an impact positive feedback and validation can have on an individual. I left this book with a new resolve to be better at filling others' buckets and ...more
Erika
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It has been way too long since I finished a book and this one was only read because of work.

That being said having to read this for team building has been a very positive experience. I'm fascinated by the Strength Finder's material and love learning more about myself and those around me.

This book is largely a light dipping into cognitive therapy focused on the work environment. It's a short easy read. A lot of it is common sense but it is backed up by scientific studies without getting
Natalie
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book that I read is How Full Is Your Bucket? Written by Tom Rath and Donald O. Clifton.The authors explain that everyone has an “invisible bucket”, this bucket is constantly being filled up with positivity or negativity depending on our interactions with others that shape us. We can either fill one another’s buckets, or we can dip from them. It’s an important choice that influences our relationships, productivity, health, and happiness. This book provides very useful information that could ...more
diddier gil
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AJ
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short read, this book makes its point and gives just enough supporting material to get the reader thinking in a productive way. Though some sections border on excessive positivity, the central idea is easily understood and immediately applicable.
Kristina Chausheva
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's a very easy and quick read. I like the strategies they suggest and would like to try them.
Anahid
Jan 26, 2020 added it
Inspiring and practical
Diana
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How full is your bucket? Do you fill others’ buckets? Is your bucket being filled? This is an amazing way to see if you are helping to fill the bucket or taking from someone else’s bucket.
Amanda
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: business-books
I completely agree with the central tenets of the book--the world is a better place when you put positive energy into it instead of negative. However, the author took it a bit far (really, your positive attitude is responsible for beating cancer? So people who die from cancer just didn't have a good attitude?) and leans on platitudes.

Though different authors, both sets of writers are affiliated with Gallup which made reading this after reading First, Break All the Rules: What the World's
E
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going through life with a short, handy, happy philosophy – particularly one as affirming as the concept in this book – is very nice. However, a fine line separates simple from simplistic. Although some readers will enjoy the breezy easiness of this approach, others might find it to be just a first step toward becoming more upbeat. Donald O. Clifton, a pioneer in positive psychology, and his co-author and grandson, Tom Rath, developed the “bucket” and “dipper” theories of happy emotions, based on ...more
Dan Ragsdale
Craig Toerpe
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When working on my master's degree, this was one of the many self-help books I purchased and read. It is a very quick read and can be read apart from Now, Discover Your Strengths. However, I found that reading this book after reading Now, Discover Your Strengths, provided the additional framework needed to qualify "what" I was doing, and in turn, allow me to say, "NO." A very hard work to say, especially with my occupation in churchwork.
The nice thing with the book is it also includes a code
Marcy Stearns
This is a good simple book to explain the meaning of Do Unto Others. If you can read it without buying it, all the better! The educator's version has good lesson plans in the back -- but seems like they want you to buy all their support materials. With a little creativity, you can create your own materials and save yourself some money.
It is a good reminder with practical suggestions for helping you take charge of your own positivity and how to be be a positive influence with others.
Jeff Schofield
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book had a good premise and and some solid suggestions for being more positive in your life and looking for ways to not only think positively, but to interact with people in a more positive manner. It was a little simplistic, but the point was an easy one to grasp. Overall, I enjoyed this book and will implement some of the suggestions about filling other buckets at home and in the office.
alison
Aug 28, 2007 added it
It certainly is an interesting read for those are looking for life metaphors. I am not sure about it yet, but my principal at school is having the staff read it this fall to bring more positivity to our work environment. I love my school so I am all for anything that makes people want to work there!

How Full Is Your Buicket Positive Strategies for Work and Life
Krissy
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'd recommend this for everyone. It's a short, inspiring read about making your interactions with people--from the person you pass on the street to your co-workers--positve ones: "filling" the bucket of those you encounter as well as your own. (And realize that it's okay to avoid those people who chronically "drain" your bucket.)
Mrs. Melanie Land
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I felt that this book provided a detailed prescription for life empowering strategies. I am always looking for the bright side of things and the book revealed to me that being a bucket filler not only encourages others but myself as well!
Amanda
Feb 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I can't believe this was a best seller. Yeah I agree with the premise to some extent but with the depth they went into it, it could have been 2 pages (spoiler alert!):

1. Be nice to people
2. Don't be mean to people.
Mentor Texts: Mariah's Third Saturation Book Review 1 3 May 09, 2016 05:41AM

• Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
  • Fish! Tales: Real-Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life
  • Life Strategies: Doing What Works, Doing What Matters
  • Now, Discover Your Strengths
  • Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships
  • The Carrot Principle: How the Best Managers Use Recognition to Engage Their Employees, Retain Talent, and Drive Performance
  • The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • Gung Ho!
  • The Law of the Garbage Truck: How to Respond to People Who Dump on You, and How to Stop Dumping on Others
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • If You Want It Done Right, You Don't Have to Do It Yourself!: The Power of Effective Delegation
  • 1913
  • Awareness: A de Mello Spirituality Conference in His Own Words
  • Living Your Strengths
Tom Rath is an author and researcher who has spent the past two decades studying how work can improve human health and well-being. He has two books slated for publication in 2020, Life's Great Question: Discover How You Best Contribute to the World and It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life, published in partnership with Amazon Original Stories.

In total, Tom's 10 books have sold
“The lesson here is clear: If you want people to understand that you value their contributions and that they are important, the recognition and praise you provide must have meaning that is specific to each individual.” 8 likes
“Instead of celebrating what makes each child unique, most parents push their children to "fit in" so that they don't "stick out." This unwittingly stomps out individuality and encourages conformity, despite these parents' good intentions” 6 likes