Start by marking “Predator's Gold (Mortal Engines Quartet #2)” as Want to Read:
Predator's Gold (Mortal Engines Quartet #2)

Predator's Gold

(Mortal Engines Quartet #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  18,374 ratings  ·  1,199 reviews
In this breathtaking sequel to his award-winning Mortal Engines, Reeve plunges readers into a ruthless and terrifyingly believable world where cities eat each other, betrayal is as common as ice, and loyalty offers the only chance for survival.
Published January 1st 2006 by Eos (first published September 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Predator's Gold, please sign up.
Maya I think it's because Reeve wrote the book in England, and in the North American edition (the one I have of Predator's Gold) they say Grike as opposed …moreI think it's because Reeve wrote the book in England, and in the North American edition (the one I have of Predator's Gold) they say Grike as opposed to Shrike. (less)

·  18,374 ratings  ·  1,199 reviews

Start your review of Predator's Gold (Mortal Engines Quartet #2)
Matthew
I thought I liked the first book of this series, but I enjoyed this one even more! I think now that I am more used to this post-apocalyptic, steampunk world of predator cities and crazy flying machines, it is easier to just sit back, soak into the story, and enjoy the ride.

I won't say too much specifically about the story as it could end up spoiling the first book as well. I will say, though, that I figured it would just be more of the same as the first book. However, the author managed to take
Cécile C.
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk
Let's start with the good, because there's still a lot of good in there. Namely, the world-building. The idea of transforming cities into animals, preying on each other in a broken ecosystem that slowly moves on towards its doom is great, and quite elaborate. Predators, prey, scavengers and parasites compete together in a world that is marching towards its end, as Municipal Darwinism encourages a large-scale destruction of all available resources and brings back slavery and inhuman treatments of ...more
Neil R. Coulter
Nov 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, steampunk

Book 1, Mortal Engines, was disappointing; Book 2 is worse. I sense that there is an interesting story happening in Reeve's steampunk world, but it's always just beyond the edges of the story he's actually telling. Somewhere in this world multiple factions plot against each other and a world war is beginning. But Predator's Gold isn't that story. It's the story of three underage minors--the bland hero, Tom; Hester, the ultra-violent girl with half a face; and Freya, the self-centered, fat ice pr

Brooke Shirts
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love dystopic visions of the future? Not I. Especially not one that involves giant cities on wheels -- that EAT each other. The concept of Municipal Darwinism never gets old, baby.

It's taken me forever to get around to the Hungry City Chronicles, of which this is the second. Tom and Hester, our heroes from the first book (read: the only characters left alive after the first book -- sheesh, Mortal Enginges has a bigger body count than Hamlet) are in trouble again. This time they've l
Sara Saif
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

Hello? Excuse me! Last book of the year coming through!

I really, really liked this one! The world is exciting and fun and crazy in a way I've never read before. All YA dystopian books feel like copy cats in varying degrees and levels these days but this is original stuff and it becomes wholly evident in this book especially. It's madness! Chases and betrayals, cheating and close-calls, things are happening all over the place. And the most satisfying thing is seeing it all coming together like cl

Alaina
It definitely had it's ups and downs.

I'm not quite sure if Predator's Gold fell into the second book syndrome.. but it did have it's fair share of moments. I love the world building and all that jazz.. but the romance part of this book just threw me for a loop. I don't really understand the drunken kiss.. or why that girl thought she could replace my girl Hester in his mind.. but whatever - the kiss happened.

I love Tom and Hester, nothing will make me unlove them. But something was definitely o
Nicky
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The second Hungry Cities book is the same sort of fun as the first, albeit with those dark moments of violence and horror (like horrible deaths, or people being unpleasant). It still follows Hester and Tom, but they’ve grown up a bit, and they have a place in the world as aviators. That is, until Pennyroyal comes aboard and spoils everything.

Realistic, and sad, is the portrayal of Hester being so afraid to lose Tom. She doesn’t believe anyone else will see past her scarred face to who she really
HP Saucerer
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Predator’s Gold takes the action of Mortal Engines this time to the polar Ice Wastes, where we board the once majestic, now largely deserted, fallen city of Anchorage. Reeve continues the creative flair he showed in the first book; pages abound with mercenaries, parasitic vessels and pirate lairs and diabolical scientific experiments. Once again, the world-building is nothing short of staggering, but these books are so much more than that, as it is Reeve’s ability to paint a visual picture with ...more
Andrew
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so on to the second of the Mortal Engines series. Now as usual I will try and capture my thoughts here without giving away any spoilers - lets see how successful I am at that.

Anyway this book is although clearly from the work of the Mortal Engines - it has a slightly different feel to it, I guess not having to introduce to characters and the rather unique way the world runs makes things a little easier and yes the pace of the story a lot faster.

That said you can see how the relationship of
Alex Givant
Will continue to read, so far so good.
Klinta
Dec 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was pretty fucking horrible. It was a cheesy cliche with an incredibly slow start and way too much romance that came out of nowhere. The character's I previously liked, I didn't like anymore and most of the new ones were too minor to like or major, but plainly unlikable. I felt like this book was written by a 14-year-old girl (no offence 14-year-old girls, please), compared to the previous one.

I pushed forward with this book against my will because, I think, if I wouldn't have I would neve
Olly Williams
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
2nd book in. 2 more books to go in this remarkable series. Such a cool world.
Daphne
Edit 5-9-18: After a few days of thinking about it, lowered the rating to 3 stars after all.
---
I went back and forth on my rating for this, but in the end I'm deciding on four stars simply because there were a lot of worldbuilding elements I really enjoyed in this book, even though I felt like the plot wasn't nearly as strong as the first one.

I really loved Mortal Engines when I read it, and maybe loving the first book so much had set my expectations for the second one a bit too high. While I re
Jonathan Terrington
It seemed at the end of Mortal Engines that it was the end. Yet in spectacular fashion Philip Reeve reignites his world of city-eating cities and reanimated corpses to truly begin what concludes as a uniquely brilliant series.

This is a difficult novel to describe. Like any good sequel it brings back the elements of the first novel, adds in a few new ones, mixes them together, throws in a few twists and turns and ends on a note that makes you believe the series could very satisfyingly end there.
The Book Queen
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This was amazing. Just as great as Mortal Engines.
And then... BAM. WORST ENDING EVER. (view spoiler)
Amirography
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Meh. It wasn't as provoking and symbolic and novel as the first part. I probably won't continue with this series.
Stefan Dolan
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.5* Just like the first novel in this series, there is some good in its sequel. World building is, once again, where this book excels. Cities are turned into animals and they compete for survival as predators, prey, scavengers and parasites. This sequel has the same problems as the first book. Again characters fall short as underdeveloped and flat. And god forbid that anyone who reads these books forgets that the heroin is ugly. The author sure doesn’t want you to forget that the only factor th ...more
Catherine
Mathew
5 stars simply for how incredibly well Reeve not only manages his plot to perfection but also the clanger of an ending. I had only read Mortal Engines and bought the rest of the series donkey's years ago when they first came out. I am finding them hugely enjoyable and like the fact that Reeve is testing themes and character by pushing some into zones that some readers might question, morally. To me these books are a little like ''what if Dickens had written post-apocalyptic novels'.
Eeva
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My main problem with this book is my girl Hester.
First of all we hear how ugly she is at least every five minutes. It's getting tiresome pretty quickly..
Second of all everything Heater does os motivated by Tom. Like, she has no agency of her own. Only Tom, Tom, Tom. Jesus, girl, get a life. I would have loved it if after leaving Anchorige Hester would have built up a new life for herself.
Mila
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped-series
This was quite disappointing compared to the first book. The unnecessary lone triangle was just stupid and pretty much everyone was annoying. I didn't care about the plot as well so I have no desire to continue reading this series.
Hannah Jayne
Bee
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, steampunk
I'm constantly surprised at the quality of Reeve's writing, and the fluid character development. I love the steampunk, predator city theme. The series promises to get better and better
Sir Anni
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars 🌟
Rhuddem Gwelin
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Having forgotten that the series is considered YA, I was a bit disturbed by the YA-ness but then I remembered and settled back to enjoy it. Which I did. I've already reserved part 3 at the library.
P. Kirby
"Yes," she whispered, and smiled at how unalike they were, because when she thought of the death of (view spoiler) and (view spoiler) she felt no guilt at all, just a sort of satisfaction, and a glad amazement that she had gotten away with it.
Oh, Hester, I love ya. I really do.

My grumble with this series is Tom Natsworthy's stupefying naivete, a characteristic mirrored by a new character, Freya, the teenage margravine (major) of Anchorage
Laure
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src-summer-2019
The second book in the series does not disappoint. We see our heroes fighting new and old enemies in a rip-roaring, action-packed adventure across the iced continents. However, I am still in doubt as to the sombre developments pertaining to our beloved heroine and starting to get slightly annoyed at the moral rectitude of our hero. Yet, everything is set up for a very strong third instalment.
SAB
Just a short review for this one!

What I liked:

- I love the world Philip Reeve has created. It's so imaginative and unlike anything I've read before!
- There is so much action, as well as twists and turns, especially in the last third of the book, that it's super hard to put down. It was definitely a "I'll go to sleep after one more chapter..." kinda thing.
- It's also pretty exciting watching how everything comes together towards the end.

What I didn't like:
- Some of the decisions the main charac
Sesana
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Direct sequel to Mortal Engines. Two years after the destruction of London, Tom and Hester are still together, still flying Anna Fang's airship. In need of cash, they take on the drippingly unscrupulous Pennyroyal. One thing leads to another, and they end up stranded on the moving city of Anchorage, bound for a green America that only Pennyroyal has seen.

Much of the plot is driven by Hester's (as it turns out, reasonable) jealousies and suspicion that she'll lose Tom sooner or later. Freya, the
Nostalgia Reader
Wow, that was disappointing. The whole thing was much too romantically motivated with stupid spur-of-the-moment decisions and a possessive love triangle. I have nothing against some romantic sub-plots but this just took too much presidence for me. I also disliked all the characters, good, bad, and other-wise. If I hadn't read the last two books in the series already (albeit years ago, but I do still love them, and plan to reread them), I would probably not be encouraged to continue the series fr ...more

• Хроники хищных городов. Книга 3. Адские конструкции (Детский кинобестселлер)
  • Хроники хищных городов. Книга 4. Надвинувшаяся тьма
  • The Eleven
  • The Fork, the Witch, and the Worm: Eragon (Tales from Alagaësia #1; The Inheritance Cycle World)
  • Doctor Who: The Eye of the Jungle
  • Effective Feature Management
  • Indomitus (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Capricorn Games
  • Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel
  • The Arctic Incident  (Artemis Fowl #2)
  • The Subtle Knife  (His Dark Materials, #2)
  • Kalla bad
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
  • โลกเวทมนตร์ของคาออส เล่ม 1 การตื่นขึ้นของพลังเวท
  • La Casa de las Cruces
  • Canadian Women Now and Then: More than 100 Stories of Fearless Trailblazers
  • 13 perros
Philip Reeve was born and raised in Brighton, where he worked in a bookshop for a number of years while also co-writing, producing and directing a number of no-budget theatre projects.

Philip then began illustrating and has since provided cartoons for around forty children's books, including the best-selling Horrible Histories, Murderous Maths and Dead Famous series.

Railhead, published by Oxford Un

Mortal Engines Quartet (5 books)
  • Night Flights (Mortal Engines Quartet, #0.5)
  • Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles, #1)
  • Infernal Devices (The Hungry City Chronicles, #3)
  • A Darkling Plain (The Hungry City Chronicles, #4)

News & Interviews

“It would be best to stride in with a cheer "hello!", but she wasn't the cheery sort; she was the "lurking in dark corners" sort. She found a dark corner, behind the Stalker-cases, and lurked.” 3 likes
“What Caul liked most about Tom was his kindness. Kindness was not valued back in Grimsby, where the older boys were encouraged to torment the younger ones, who would grow up to torment another batch of youngsters in their turn. “Good practice for life,” Uncle said. “Hard knocks, that’s all the world’s about!” But maybe Uncle had never met anyone like Tom, who was kind to other people and seemed to expect nothing more than kindness in return.” 2 likes