Start by marking “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living” as Want to Read:
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living

How to Stop Worrying and Start Living

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  97,398 ratings  ·  3,637 reviews
The book 'How to stop worrying & start living' suggest many ways to conquer worry and lead a wonderful life.

The book mentions fundamental facts to know about worry and magic formula for solving worry-some situations.

Psychologists & Doctors' view:

-Worry can make even the most stolid person ill.

-Worry may cause nervous breakdown.

-Worry can even cause tooth decay

-Worry is one
Published October 5th 2004 by Gallery Books (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about How to Stop Worrying and Start Living, please sign up.
Sawako You can borrow the book online on OpenLibrary.org. Here's the link: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL16168...…moreYou can borrow the book online on OpenLibrary.org. Here's the link: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL16168...(less)

·  97,398 ratings  ·  3,637 reviews

Start your review of How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
Sanjay Gautam
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune."

This book (along with other books by Dale Carnegie) can be life-changing. The book takes the incessant problem of worry, head on. It says that of all the liars in the world most of the time it's our own fears and worries. Worry doesn't take away your troubles but it do take away your peace, that's the main message of the book. He starts very scientifically by searching the causes behind the w
Ahmad Sharabiani
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living, Dale Carnegie

How to Stop Worrying and Start Living is a self-help book by Dale Carnegie. It was first printed in Great Britain in 1948 by Richard Clay (The Chaucer Press), Ltd.

The book's goal is to lead the reader to a more enjoyable and fulfilling life, helping them to become more aware of, not only themselves, but others around them. Carnegie tries to address the everyday nuances of living, in order to get the reader to focus on the more important aspects
Karolina
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
I think the problem with this book is that it's mostly based on persuasive voice. Once the effects of that wear off, it's hard to be convinced to change an ingrained habit. Although, what helps is a desperation to do so.

There are many examples in this book, but very little "this is why it works". Even more so, the further you go into it, the more the author sounds like "What's the matter with you? Don't you see? Why don't you do this?"; and I think, if this were a person-to-person argument, that
Marnette Falley
Feb 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
The advice Carnegie gives is all stuff you've heard before, but he pairs it with compelling stories about people who've taken the worrying to an extreme and who've totally turned their lives around by ditching their angst. Some of my favorite points:

Fatigue comes from stress, not from work.

Becoming wise is a path. As you go, remember that compassionate, considered responses make life more manageable.

Contented life is a choice.
Tim
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-development
Fundamental Facts You Should Know About Worry
Rule 1 - If you want to avoid worry, do what Sir William Osler did" Live in "day-tight compartments." Don't stew about the future. Just live each day until bedtime.
Rule 2 - The next time Trouble - with a Capital T - backs you up in a corner, try the magic formula of Willis H. Carrier:
a. Ask yourself, "What is the worst that can possibly happen if I can't solve my problem?"
b. Prepare yourself mentally to accept the worst - if necessary.
c. Then calmly t
Chhun
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was so blue that I didn't have nice shoes to wear, and it was until I met a man on the wheelchair at the corner of the street. He didn't even have both legs. I helped him buy drink from the vending machine. I asked him if he was upset of sitting on the wheelchair every day. He smiled to me, "I used to be, but not now". "Do you think I can speak?", he asked me. That was a strange question. "We are talking right now", I replied unconsciously. "Do you think I can see you?", he continued. He made ...more
Liong
Oct 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I almost forgot I read this book before.

Day-tight compartments strategy is very effective for me.

When I was studying in college, I was so worried about everything. Sometimes I could not concentrate on everything because I worried too much.

Luckily, I discovered this book in a bookstore and I read one of the chapters regarding "Day tight compartment". I did not buy the book that day. I came back to the bookstore and read again the same chapter.

It helped me a lot and I became more peaceful and
Amit Mishra
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some books are evergreen whenever you turn their pages you will find something new. This book is time tested and paved the way for millions of people to live their life happily.
I love reading Dale Carnegie due to his writing styles. He makes everything quiet and clear. His language is pretty easy and elaboration is lucid and detailed.
The book 'How to stop worrying and start living' is a masterpiece by him. He has shown some practical steps in the way of becoming a person free from fear and non
Faye*
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This simply wasn't my cup of tea. After the first 2-3 more or less helpful tips, it feels like all we get is a many (many!) stories from individuals, who - through a sudden epiphany - learned how to overcome worry and were cured of various deceases (stomach ulcers were a big favourite) and suddenly led a happy, fulfilled life. At the end of the book, my main impression was not that of a guide through worrying times and of sound advice but of the author hammering home his message of "do not worry ...more
Vaishali
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
"Remember : today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."

Just re-read this fantastic classic over the past few days, and thank goodness I did.
And thank you for your pioneering work, Mr. Carnegie <3

Other quotes :
-----------
“Work creates mental relaxation.”

“It is difficult to worry if you’re doing something that requires planning and thinking.”

“I went from room to room in the house, compiling a lot of jobs to be done. Scores of items needed to be repaired… I am so busy now that I have no t
Deepak Chaudhary
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
Wow this book is really good and deserves to be read a few times over your lifetime. The best thing about it is that it can be downloaded free legally since it is so old now that the copyright laws do not apply to it (or something) all you have to do is search for it on Google with something like "How to stop worrying and start living filetype pdf" and its yours to bind or read on a computer. Even if you feel that you do not need to worry you should pick up this book and keep it on the top of yo ...more
Teresa
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
- Advice - live in day-tight compartments.
- Imagine the worst, accept it, and try to improve upon it. Then you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
- Get the facts, analyze them, arrive at a decision, and act on the decision. You worry more when you don't know
- what is the problem? What is the cause? What are all possible solutions? What solution do you suggest?
- being busy leaves no time for worry
- don't be bothered by the little things
- cooperate with the inevitable. Bend like the wil
Susan's Reviews
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Many people sneer at self help books, but I credit Dale Carnegie's How to Stop Worrying and Start Living with being one of several books that helped me to understand and control the anxiety and panic disorder that also plagued most of the members of my family. Fear is often born from "not understanding," so I made sure to examine my fears before I gave into them.

I agree that mental health issues need to be addressed with proper medical assessment and intervention, where required, but Carnegie's
Ethan
Jan 26, 2021 rated it did not like it

Religious bigotry and preaching disguised as psychology, with some useful information mixed in. Full review to come.
Swrp
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very practical and straightforward book.

Surely, anyone who has lived for 25 or 30 years would have known, experienced or heard of the many strategies mentioned in this book.

However, it is important for all of us to be kept reminding ourselves, of these timeless ways of living life in a better way.

Also, in this book, most of the content is derived from personal life experiences, which makes it "possible" for all of us to implement in our own lives.
Amir Tesla
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This "holy" book contains tremendously effective, practical and scientific-based solutions to overcome stress and a state of being worry for different scenarios that might happen for a person. A marvelous, must-read book for everyone.
This book is among the very most valuable gifts you could give to a friend or family member.
Ladan

The book provides one with practical solutions to overcome one's worries, yet I found it quite long! I mean 300 pages of numerous examples of worrywarts in hope of the readers' identification with one of them are not necessary since their approach to prevail their fears and worries were almost the same in many cases. Carnegie's strive for assuring the reader that these examples are real by mentioning their full name and addresses was really on my nerves. The way he tried to tell the reader that
Brian Johnson
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
“No one living has enough emotion and vigor to fight the inevitable and, at the same time, enough left over to create a new life. Choose one or the other. You can either bend with the inevitable sleet storms of life—or you can resist them and break!”

“Obviously, circumstances alone do not make us happy or unhappy. It is the way we react to circumstances that determines our feelings. Jesus said that the kingdom of heaven is within you. That is where the kingdom of hell is, too.”

“I spent twelve ye
Elizabeta
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! What are you really worrying about? Makes you think and I specially love the stories from real people.
Steven Walle
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was great. I will give a full review at a later date.
Be Blessed.
Margo Kelly
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
FINALLY. I have finished this book. WHEW.

The version I read of this book was published in 1944. I don't know if newer versions have been modified at all, or not.

I would've given the book a five star rating if it hadn't been so completely TORTUROUS to get through the chauvinistic view points. Granted, most all of Carnegie's strategies for overcoming stress and worry were excellent and I plan to put many ideas to use, HOWEVER, the ideas presented in chapters like #25 titled: "How the Housewife Can
Nancy
Gawd I am fascinated by the self-help genre. And here we have a founding father. GAWD his stridency. It's like listening to the ads in the back of comic books: Don't let the bully kick sand on you! Get muscles! Stay busy! Boot straps boot straps boot straps!!!!!!

Yet I hear his sense: cut to the chase, stop spinning, look clearly, be unafraid.

I would finish this, except it's making me nauseated. Maybe it's the "busy busy busy" section -- with the stories of those who dispelled worry by filling up
Kair Käsper
Jul 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
What a terrible book. 5% of it is good advice, 45% is destructive (get rid of your worries by drowning yourself in work) and has aged badly over the seven decades since it was written. The worst part is yet to come though. The leftover parts of this book promote a universal solution to getting over worrying - Jesus.

This book deserves to be taken off the shelves of bookstores and not by customers.
Bey
Sep 01, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 26% because I cannot stand the bullshits and the romanticisation of overworking as a way to cope with anxiety by stacking up another. Learned that the hard way but it was not a pleasant experience per se. Maybe I’d try to pick this up another day when I’m not feeling so self-conscious. Or bitter. Or maybe nonfics are just not for me.
B G
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was such a frustrating book to read.
1. Carnegie relies very heavily on anecdotal evidence. I usually like that in self-improvement books, provided that the author also includes scientific evidence to back it all up. Carnegie does not. Furthermore, a number of the examples he uses are unconvincing at best. I mean, being diagnosed with incurable illness/paralysis but being instantaneously healed through the power of Jesus and some cheerfulness? Sure, sure, I believe you.
2. This book did not a
Amanda
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just what some people need to hear/read. I definitely love this book and will recommend it to others.
Alisha
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow this was long! But good. It's actually one of the only anxiety books I've ever read that I'm thinking is worth a re-read at some point.

But first, a little light-hearted critique:
* Dale Carnegie is a Buzzfeed writer before there were such things. ("If you have a worry problem, apply the magic formula of Willis H. Carrier." "Seven Ways to Peace and Happiness", "If You Do This, You Will Never Worry About Ingratitude", "How to Cure Melancholy in Fourteen Days").
* Dale Carnegie is also your mothe
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
- Michel de Montaigne, French philosopher

You will find no new advice in this book. Dale Carnegie mentions this himself. How to Stop Worrying and Start Living is a collection of tips and tricks on how to reduce stress and the affects stress has on our body. Yet another great book by Dale Carnegie.
Rohit
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites. It is a remedy to me and I keep this book always with me. It also teaches you how to live a better life. I usually write the date of purchase and the shop name on the first page of every book. The date of purchase of this book reminds me of one of the toughest times of my life.

On 15th August 2001, I had a reaction of a medicine which contracted my blood vessels. This resulted in fluctuating BP, palpitation and many other troubles. It lasted for four years. It was a near dea
Pablo
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The information in this book could probably be condensed in 10 pages. Or rather, it was probably a 10 page booklet expanded into a long and boring book.

There are a couple of interesting advices and techniques at the beginning but then there's a lot of "I was worrying and feeling bad, I saw God, I stopped worrying and started feeling better". Towards the end was so full of religious non-sense it was disgusting.
القلق 1 4 Aug 21, 2022 05:51AM
Goodreads Librari...: Update Page Number 3 9 Jan 05, 2021 10:25AM
Goodreads Librari...: please add book cover 9780743543187 2 9 Apr 03, 2017 12:18PM
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living, 4 88 May 05, 2015 08:32AM

• The Richest Man in Babylon
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • First Things First
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • The Power of Your Subconscious Mind
  • Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus
  • Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and It's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things From Taking Over Your Life
  • Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
  • Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth
See top shelves…
Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (originally Carnagey until 1922 and possibly somewhat later) (November 24, 1888 – November 1, 1955) was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Born in poverty on a farm in Missouri, he was the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, fir ...more