Start by marking “Normal: One Kid's Extraordinary Journey” as Want to Read:
Normal: One Kid's Extraordinary Journey

Normal: One Kid's Extraordinary Journey

Praised by R.J. Palacio as “wondrous”—this moving memoir follows a teenage boy with TC syndrome and his exceptional family from diagnosis at birth to now.

“This touching memoir is a must-read for anyone who wants to know more about the real-world experiences of a child with craniofacial differences and his extraordinary family. It’s also more than that. It’s a story about
Published January 14th 2020 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Normal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Normal

Start your review of Normal: One Kid's Extraordinary Journey
Autumn
I'm not prepared to give this one a star rating right now, just to remark upon the release of an own voices version of Wonder. We are doing something right in kidlit if HMH is feeling compelled to release an own voices companion to Wonder. Nathaniel seems like a cool kid and a great advocate for himself, and his mom is super tough. So, I hope they make lots of cash from this tie-in and accomplish what they want to accomplish with it.
Karen Kline
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoyed R.J. Palacio's book Wonder, you must read this memoir of a boy with the facial deformity syndrome Treacher Collins just like Auggie. Co-authored by Nathaniel Newman and his mom Magdalena Newman, this book is at once hopeful, honest, funny, and heart-wrenching.

I felt like the book helped me put my own daily struggles in perspective. If Nathaniel Newman can have 60+ surgeries, live for thirteen years with a breathing trac, and move around the country going to new schools every few
Mandy
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Middle grade memoir. This is the story of Nathaniel Newman, a boy born with Treacher Collins syndrome. The story is told by him and his Mother. Treacher Collins means the bones of the face don't fully develop, which affects not only appearance but also eating and breathing. Nathaniel had to be fed through a tube directly to his stomach for many years and had to breathe out of a trach tube in his neck for even longer.

Nathaniel ended up crossing paths with the author RJ Palacio, whose book Wonder
Shelley
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, youth
2.5. The story of Nathaniel, who has Treacher Collins, and his mother, as they navigate the health and social challenges that come with TC. Nathaniel's bits were by far the best--he's straightforward, talks about the hard bits and the normal bits. and just tells his story as he knows it. His mom dipped into a lot of precious angel, he's an inspiration, etc a lot, which made me roll my eyes a lot. Their versions of certain scenes differed a lot in tone like that, and I liked his versions better. ...more
Kaenna E
This is a pretty good book. It's a memoir by a kid with Treacher Collins syndrome (the same condition Auggie Pullman had in Wonder), and his mom, Magda. It's about how he had to deal with the syndrome, and how he met the author R. J. Palacio. I like the way it's written (back and forth between him and his mom. This would be a really good book for fans of Wonder, or any book where the character has a craniofacial condition.
Sara
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Good book. Nonnfic memoir companion to Wonder. The ending was disjointed. You could tell they wanted to add certain elements and couldn't figure out how to work into the main narrarive. Still sweet and I enjoyed it. This was an ARC so I'm not sure if artwork is staying pencil, but I thought it worked. Great addition to the story.
Michelle Glatt
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Fans of Wonder will enjoy this own voices story about Nathaniel Newman, who has TCS and has undergone a staggering number of surgeries to help his breathing. Reviewing for School Library Connection.
Ms. Yingling
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus
Alex Olinger
**I won this in book in a Goodreads giveaway**
Martha
Jan 18, 2020
Meg Williams
Nov 24, 2019
Baylee
rated it did not like it
Dec 20, 2019
Melissa Thom
Jun 05, 2019
Lori
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC. I loved this book, and the bravery and courage of Nathaniel and Magda's story. I will no longer taking breathing for granted. I will definitely purchase a copy for our library.
May 02, 2019

• The Forgotten Girl
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich
  • The Plain Janes
  • Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: The Journey: Behind the Scenes of the Award-Winning Stage Production
  • The Accidental Genius of Weasel High
  • Ziggy, Stardust and Me
  • New Kid
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • The Crayon Man: the True Story of the Invention of Crayola Crayons
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Dear Sweet Pea
  • A House That Once Was
  • They Call Me Güero: A Border Kid's Poems
  • To Night Owl from Dogfish
Magdalena Newman lives in Seattle, Washington, with her husband and two sons.

(source: Amazon)