Start by marking “Randomize” as Want to Read:
Randomize

Randomize

(Forward Collection #6)

In the near future, if Vegas games are ingeniously scam-proof, then the heists have to be too, in this imaginative and whip-smart story by the New York Times bestselling author of The Martian.

An IT whiz at the Babylon Casino is enlisted to upgrade security for the game of keno and its random-number generator. The new quantum computer system is foolproof. But someone on the
Audible Audio
Published September 17th 2019 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Randomize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Randomize

Start your review of Randomize
Emily May
Sep 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For no real reason, I decided to read through the Forward collection in order of length, starting with the shortest. That made Randomize the first story I read. And I have to say-- I almost stopped. Nothing about this made me want to read on.

Thankfully, I did read on. Mostly because authors like Blake Crouch and N.K. Jemisin contributed to the collection. I can now say that Randomize was by far my least favourite story. It felt almost as if Weir didn't even try.

I got my partner to read this too
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. Dazzling science can't make up for a mundane plot. Full review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Nick Chen is an IT guy on a mission: when quantum computers become available to consumers, he tries to convince the managers at the Babylon Hotel and Casino where he works to shut down their keno lounge, knowing that quantum computers can quickly crack the random-number generators of the keno game system. When he fails to persuade them, he uses his override passwords to shut down the keno
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
So, what's not to love about this one:
- quantum computers getting into quantum entanglement
- a PHD genius
- casino woes

What I didn't really like is that the PHD wife's brains were being slowly pickled as what, stay-at-home mom without any science involvement? Maybe I missed smth. Or maybe it's our society that misses something: half the population's potential.

The woe's with the society and not with AW. So, it's still an excellent read. Even if somewhat naïve one.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Thankfully this is not my first book at this series because if I start with that, I probably give up on them! This is the most boring, dullest, meaningless story I’ve read from the Forward collection. It is written in quantum mechanics bla bla bla language, (most of the words of it went in my one ear and out the other one!) exhausted me so much. I was so disturbed to take a nap and get a break. I felt like I was trapped in a place keeps playing the same death metal song in high volume over and ...more
Kayla Dawn
2,5 * - This was just a big "meh" story for me.
Richard Derus
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled
Rating: 4.25* of five

I do so love a heist story with a happy ending. Like, a lot. *happy sigh*

And when the crisis came, I found myself thinking, "howinahell could {the sleazeball character} say no?" Luckily no was not said.
Monica
This one seems to be the least liked of the Forward collection but honestly, I liked it. It's a short story about mathematics and quantum computers by a writer who likes science. I thought it was enjoyable. Not too tech-y. A snarky ending. A jab at folks viewed as much smarter than the average human etc.

4 Stars

Listened on Audible. Narration by Janina Garvankar was very good!
Henk
Dec 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A shoddy short story, with people talking and exposing plans like cartoon bad guys
Definitely the most underwhelming of the Forward Stories Collection in my opinion, up till now.

Randomize covers gambling, quantum computing and a heist. And still it was very boring in my view.
I still don’t know what keno is, nor what quantum entanglement would specifically entail and finally I don’t understand why a prodigy in quantum computing would need to pull of a heist (instead of working for a Silicon Valley
Trish
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Needed something short to listen to in the gym during my workout and it turns out that these stories are perfect for that.

This is a collection of scifi short stories curated by Blake Crouch (himself a great scifi author), bringing together some of the most well-known names of the genre, each depicting a pivotal moment in technological advancement and a consequence they see in it.
One such well-known author contributing here is Andy Weir, who catapulted himself to fame with his novel The Martian
Char
I enjoyed this, but not as much as the others in this series.

There didn't seem to be much point to it, but I did like how it ended up.

Hamad
This Review Blog Twitter Instagram

I like this one but it felt so clinical, cold and geeky!

I can understand many readers not liking this one because it was smart, too smart maybe! I think it should have been a bit longer with focus on the characters but the author was geeking out over numbers and quantum physics!

If I was a professor and wanted my students to understand probabilities and quantum physics, I would use this one! Worth giving a chance anyway!

You can get more books from Book
Kaleah
2 stars
Hmmm. This was my first experience with Andy Weir. It wasn't terrible, but it was pretty bad. The writing seemed both overly simplistic and juvenile, while also being a bit of a quantum theory word dump. It felt clunky and awkward, as if written by a very inexperienced author. I think my favorite awkward moment was when the Indian wife was talking about quantum stuff, and then we get this random interjection about Indian clothing.

“The 707 does a coherence self-check once a week. When you
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a short story about a techno-heist that takes place in Las Vegas, from one of my favorite authors, Andy Weir.

In this case, the plot explores quantum computers and random-number generators. It is so short that saying more would be giving away too much. Overall, I enjoyed it and recommend it to readers of science fiction.

This story is part of Forward, a collection of six stories of the near and far future from six great authors.
Veronique
3.5*

This is my third short story from the Forward Collection. This one was less about a ‘social comment’ and more of an entertaining tale featuring cool thinking (if somewhat dishonest) and quantum computers. I enjoyed it but I don’t think it shall stay in my mind as much as the other two, especially Nemisin’s excellent Emergency Skin.
Jill McGill
Unfortunately quantum computing is way over my head... but Randomize was definitely an interesting read!
Bradley
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-shelf, sci-fi
A nice little story about random numbers (obviously), but what you might not know is that it's also a closed time-like loop that completely eliminates the random element, EVEN WHEN we're dealing with a truly random quantum processor. (Or at least we've established this in the story-concept, with one single exception.)

Am I geeking out a little?

Possibly. :)

This is a pretty sharp cookie.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Read on Kindle Unlimited!

So this one was surprisedly good, even though for starters this isn't a genre, nor an author I read from. I liked how explained the quantum computers side of the story was told, even though I was a tiny bit confused at the start. With quick-pacing and a few twists that I didn't see coming, the overall experience was satisfying. Also, set in Las Vegas amongst all of the casinos!
Lisa Wolf
I liked this one a lot! The audiobook was a quick, entertaining listen. A couple uses quantum computing to scam a casino -- quite fun.
Shorouk Abd Elhamed
What was hard for me to believe in such small book that we would get something with purpose or deep meaning.What I was afraid of happened and I would give it a 2 but with the note in the end,this is 3 stars and I am hopeful.

The story started with a little conversation that rattled some scientific stuff that I liked.
Chen, he was an enthusiastic genius.I loved these characters with great intelligence. The business that was suggested was insanely good but I knew(view spoiler)
Gerhard
"True random, motherfuckers!"
Definitely the weakest of the Forward novellas. Muddled concept, poor characterisation. Quantum gambling deserves to be far cooler than presented here.
Karen’s Library
As usual, the science of quantum theory was WAY over my head, but it made for a decent short story.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
Well, I liked it better than The Last Conversation. It hasn’t been done a gazillion and three times, so that was a very huge point in its favor. I liked that the super-genius still managed to screw up, but not enough to forgive him for the fact that he really only writes this type of character. I understand writing what you know works, but, c’mon, sir, take a risk! PLEASE. I like the writing but I can’t keep reading recycled genius characters from you. It gets old. Quick.

If you like attempt at
TL
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

*Read for free with Prime Reading*
Cathy
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
The story was pretty meh. Very formulaic casino heist story, despite the futuristic computer hardware and software. I kept waiting for something truly interesting to happen, but alas... I had expected something more exciting from Andy Weir.

I did not particularly like the audio narration either. Too breathless and emotionally over the top for my taste. It wasn‘t believable.
vonblubba
Interesting take on quantum computing, its uses and misuses. Unfortunately, plot is rather shallow.
Avanti Mukhopadhaya
- Well, what happened here? I really liked this one!! And it seems that not many did at all..

- I absolutely loved the quantum physics plot here, so freaking awesome!

- I did, however, drop 2 points off my rating. And that is because I feel it gets toooo scienc-y, with the author cheating on the story telling
- The actual story felt very rushed and haphazardly written

- Maybe a few more pages would have done the story much more justice, because the science aspect just hits it home for me

Manisha
Actual review: 2.5

"Quantum physics doesn’t make any sense.”

Randomize is the fourth book I have read from the Forward series, and it is undoubtedly the weakest.

NOTHING HAPPENS

This feels like reading the prologue rather than a completed story. The story wasn't fully developed, but rather, it was a moment that is easily forgotten because we are reading about new characters who are also easily forgotten. This story is short, dull, and not worth the few minutes you spend reading it.

Maybe it was
Trike
Classic SF, exploiting new tech by postulating not just what the gizmo can do but the various ramifications of it. Due to its brevity Weir only focuses on a couple aspects of how quantum computers will be used in the real world — in this case, for gambling in Vegas — but the wider implications of the technology and the workaround given here are terrifying indeed. I mean, think of entangled information used in the global stock markets. Or intelligence agencies. Ay-yai-yai!

Plus it’s smart people
Janice Boychuk
3.75-4 stars.

This is the sixth and final book in the Forward Series, published by Amazon Original Stories.

I read through fellow readers' GR reviews, and it seems to be the least liked book of the series, however I really liked it.

Although I know and understand very little about quantum physics, mechanics, math, etc. (I'm a designer, not a genius LOL) the author manages to write it in such a way that non-geeks like me would actually get a gist of the plot. I thought the plan was genius, the
Matthew Quann
An interesting part of the Forward collection, Weir's story focuses on quantum computing and the effect that might have on business. Specifically, Weir sets up a world in which gambling is threatened by the true randomization of numbers made possible by quantum computers. It's a cool concept and one that takes a more narrow and hard-science approach than it's Forward peers. I'm still finding Weir's dialogue to be a bit spotty, but it worked well in audio format. Not the best of the bunch, but ...more

• Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Will Williams (Disorder collection)
  • Anonymous (Disorder collection)
  • Loam (Disorder collection)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Ungirls (Disorder collection)
  • The Beckoning Fair One (Disorder collection)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Best Girls (Disorder collection)
  • Auberon
  • The Lion's Den
  • A Very Scalzi Christmas
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Recursion
  • The Last Dance
ANDY WEIR built a career as a software engineer until the success of his first published novel, THE MARTIAN, allowed him to live out his dream of writing fulltime. He is a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects such as relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. He also mixes a mean cocktail. He lives in California. Andy’s next book, ARTEMIS, is ...more

Forward Collection (7 books)
  • Ark
  • Summer Frost
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Forward Collection