Start by marking “The Devil You Know” as Want to Read:
The Devil You Know

The Devil You Know

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  540 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
THE NEW SHORT STORY COLLECTION BY POPPY Z. BRITE
Published August 1st 2005 by Gauntlet Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil You Know

Bark
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Initially I was disappointed to learn that Poppy Z. Brite had decided to leave her gothic fantasy world of New Orlean’s far behind in exchange for a toned down look at life from the point of view of the regular folks inhabiting New Orleans (mostly gay, hard-working cooks).

I really enjoyed those dark, graphically violent books ~ especially Exquisite Corpse (hmmm, what does that say about me?!). But once I began this book I found myself enjoying her new style which is much less purple in its pros
Joshua Gross
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this weird book of stories. There was something particularly haunting about the introduction, as it was written in June of 2005, and Hurricane Katrina would happen only a few months later and everything would change.

1. The Devil You Know was a fine story with a New Orleans flair and some commentary on racism and Mardi Gras.

2. O Death, Where is Thy Spatula was my favorite story in this collection. I love Billy Martin's (Poppy Z. Brite) weird alter-ego Dr. Brite, coroner of New Orleans wh
Jesse
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brite's third short story collection. As he states in the introduction, this collection serves as a bridge between his early gothic horror work and his later New Orleans culinary lit stuff. Surprisingly, everything flows together very well, and some stories even successfully capture a mix of the two styles, such as the Dr. Brite story "the Heart of New Orleans" and the Rickey and G-Man story "Bayou de la Mere". There's also some early Rickey and G-Man stuff, along with some fantastic echoes of h ...more
Stéphanie
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nouvelles
Comme souvent dans un recueil de nouvelles, les histoires sont malheureusement de qualité inégale. Celui-ci ne déroge pas à la règle. Ici les seules nouvelles qui soient vraiment dignes d'intérêt sont celles mettant en scène Ricky et G-Man, nos deux cuistots de la Nouvelle-Orléans de ses excellents romans Liquor et Prime, que l'on retrouve ici avec grand plaisirs. Les nouvelles concernant la coroner gastronome Brite ne sont pas totalement désagréables non plus, mais elles ne sont pas non plus d' ...more
Louis
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A criminally overlooked collection from the exceptional independent imprint, Subterranean Press, this is Poppy Brite at her finest in my opinion. None of this is easy to categorize, just good story telliing, done with heart and soul and a rare instinct for rooting out the truth beneath the surface of every day things. Contains my very favorite Poppy Brite story, "The Heart of New Orleans. " Highly recommended.
Sebastian Crow
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection. A good mix of stories keeps the interest all the way through. Many of the stories focus on restaurants and New Orleans cuisine which meant I was constantly craving food. Damn you Poppy, I gained 10lbs reading your book.
JENNY TOUPIN
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These are some of Poppy's short stories which fit in with some of her other novels and characters. This is a great introductory to her writing. It is very dark.
Writerlibrarian
Apr 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2005
Poppy Brite est une des figures marquantes de la littérature américaine alternative des années 90. Grande star de la littérature gothique, elle met en scène, sexe, drogue et rock and roll dans un Nouvelle Orléans remplie de vampires et de créatures étranges puis blasée par les restrictions que son succès lui impose, Brite, reprend la plume mais dans un genre aux antipodes de son genre habituel. Le résultat: des recueils de nouvelles incises, avec le charme hypnotisant d’un cobra.

Brite continue à
Kat Connors
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My frame of reference (and love) when it comes to PZB has always been more along the lines of Exquisite Corpse and Are You Loathsome Tonight. The really dark and twisty shit. This collection is so different and wonderful. Less gratuitiously grotesque and more mature.

Characters are so well-developed in the short time we meet them. While the Liquor series has always been on my never-ending list of books, being introduced to G-Man and Rickey in this collection had definitely propelled it to the to
Ronn
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you read Ms Brite's introduction, you might come away with the idea that these are second rate stories, unsuitable for any other volume, or collected together only to fulfill a contractual obligation or some this like that. These would be wholly incorrect assumptions. These stories are wonderful! Yes, there is some uneven-ness, but that is to be expected in any short story collection. I found them all to be thoroughly engaging. I am going to seek out more.
Kathryn
I'm not sure why, but the only collection of Poppy Z. Brite's short stories that I've really liked has been "Wormwood". The rest, well...I think most of the stories originated when Poppy started to get out of her goth-like stories, and moved on to foodie fiction. Nothing wrong with the foodie fiction of course, but they just aren't as appealing to me as her earlier works.

I enjoyed "Burn Baby Burn", mostly because it was about a familiar character. But that was about it.
Gef
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
New Orleans and food: if you love either of these, then chances are you'll get a kick out of this short story collection. Brite meanders from grotesqueries, to comedies, to tragedies. And she does it all with a rather soft-spoken style that gives an ethereal quality to many of the stories. Oddly enough, one of my personal favorites from the collection features a character she didn't even create, but rather a character from the "Hellboy" universe. Good stuff.
Niki
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This collection of short stories is a quick read, and fans of Brite's previous works will appreciate the combination of foodie culture and horror aesthetic in some of the yarns. Some of the stories read more like character sketches or scenes than complete tales, but Brite's writing is as strong as ever, with great descriptions of how things look, smell, and taste.
Hanna
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Surprisingly disturbing short stories from New Orleans including cannibalism vs. being a foodie and the Devil being a genteel Mr. William (Bill) Z. Bubb owning an over-sized black cat that he cannot quite control.
Kelly Jacqueline
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of short stories by Poppy Z. Brite. Each one held my interest; there wasn't a boring story in the bunch. These stories ran the gamut from horror/supernatural to restaurant culture, and a few actually combined both subjects. Highly recommended!
Mark Chandler
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun!!

I love me some Poppy!!! More short story greatness from one of the best Gothic writers ever. Much better than her "restaurant" series.
Rita
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
A little strange, but still a good read.
Camilla
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
anything for more stories involving ricky & g-man.
Emily Moore
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, print
Deborah
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it
These PZB New Orleans books were perfect while orchestrating a move, amongst all of life's other goings-on.
Anki
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A collection of short stories set in and around New Orleans. These stories made me want to read Poppy Z Brite latest novels, the ones that aren't about vampires.
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
I was interested to read this because New Orleans is so fascinating. But I was disappointed. The last story was the best, with Brite enjoying the characters from her Liquor novels.
BriAnne
Carla Stefania
Apr 30, 2014
Elizabeth
May 01, 2009
  • Low Red Moon (Chance Matthews #2)
  • Splatterpunks II: Over the Edge
  • The Thorn Boy
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • Control Freak
  • Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)
  • Extremities: Stories
  • Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?
  • Tubby Meets Katrina (Tubby Dubonnet, #7)
  • Typhoon and Other Tales
  • Hello, New York: An Illustrated Love Letter to the Five Boroughs
  • Ladurée: Sucré
  • The Basic Kafka
  • Frenchmen, Desire, Good Children: . . . and Other Streets of New Orleans!
  • The Storm: What Went Wrong and Why During Hurricane Katrina--the Inside Story from One Louisiana Scientist
  • Not Flesh Nor Feathers (Eden Moore, #3)
  • Princess Mermaid
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Arcadia
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)