Start by marking “Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy #2)

Foundation and Chaos

(Second Foundation Trilogy #2)

A major science fiction author continues one of the most famous SF stories of all time.
Published July 15th 1999 by Orbit (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Foundation and Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foundation and Chaos

Jeremiah Johnson
Mar 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I almost gave this two stars until I realized how utterly pointless the book was. Nothing in the story advances the plot of the Foundation Series until the last 10 pages or so.
The "sims" were (thankfully) largely downplayed after their disastrous introduction in Foundation's Fear. There was no VR immersion nonsense either. It also wasn't nearly as long (albeit still 350 pages or so too long in my opinion...). So in these regards, it was not as bad as Fear was.
But, there were robots. Tons and ton
C. Conner
Apr 27, 2012 rated it did not like it

This book is annoying on many levels:

Overall thoughts - this was not a journey where the reader is carried along by a quest and comes to a resolution by the end. This was a "glad it's over" story. A book should be a collection of words greater than the sum of the total. Foundation and Chaos was the opposite. Asimov gives the sensation of a rich and vast universe with his Foundation series. With this book the words are there but the meaning is lost and the reader is left looking through a small p
Alex Shrugged
I finished reading "Foundation and Chaos" by Greg Bear. This is an authorized part of the Asimov Foundation series . Once again we get into the details, filling out the story about how the Foundation got started. The original series started off rather abruptly with a new character, placed on trial and an older character that seems to know what is going on. The judgement is exile and suddenly you are on another planet, wondering how it all happened. Foundation and Chaos provides that information, ...more
Smaniam
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it

I read the Foundation Series as a teenager and with "Foundation and Earth" I thought there could be nothing more that could be achieved beyond that book. So, when I came across the books that were published ostensibly as an authorised extension to the foundation saga - It was something amounting to sacrilege!! I could barely control myself whenever I caught a glimpse of any of the pretenders. It was like Mammon had won the battle and Asimov's legacy would soon be muddled.

Well, time does mellow o
Daniel McGill
Does some damage control on what Benford did to the series in the first book before it gets going but I'd give this series a pass unless you're a fanatical completionist.
Roddy Williams
‘In ‘Foundation and Chaos’, one of science fiction’s greatest storytellers takes one of its greatest stories into new and fascinating territory. Isaac Asimov’s classic Foundation series is back.

Hari Seldon, approaching the end of his life, is on trial for daring to predict the Empire’s fall. At the same time, final preparations are under way for the long-anticipated migration to Star’s End. But R Daneel Olivaw, the brilliant robot entrusted with this great mission, has discovered a potential en
C.S. Wright
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book adds background and detail to the trial scene at the beginning of Asimov's 'Foundation' and brings some real depth to the character of Hari Seldon who, in the orginal trilogy is given no background at all, despite being the driving force behind the creaion of the Foundation itself. The author does not try to imitate Asimov's style, something I was grateful for as it seldom goes well when writers do that. (Please don't make me think of the abyssmal conclusion to the Dune series!) I thro ...more
Eoghann Irving
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Foundation and Chaos is book two of the Second Foundation Trilogy is rather different to book one. For a start Bear sticks more faithfully to the Foundation universe as described by Asimov. How important that is will vary depending on the reader. More importantly, the plot of this book feels more cohesive, resulting in a more entertaining read.

The Second Foundation Trilogy covers the life of Hari Seldon, his invention of psychohistory and his setting up of the two Foundations. This particular bo
Ash
Oct 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
manuti
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Siguiendo con la trilogía incluida en la lista de libros de 2008 – 2009. Después del anterior, este continúa las aventuras del matemático Hari Seldon. Si del anterior dije que era un poco space opera, este es algo más, y en general entra en una serie de historias con los robots (una constante de Asimov) que me ha gustado menos que el anterior, por lo que se queda con solo 2 estrellas.
Phil Giunta
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I completed Foundation and Chaos in a few weeks, reading mostly in the late evening or in stolen minutes during weekends. By contrast, I took months to finish the first entry in this trilogy, Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford. Benford's plodding, tedious pacing and fragmented plot did not inspire confidence in the rest of the series but Greg Bear turned that around.

I was eager to return to Foundation and Chaos everyday and for as long as possible. Well conceived plot, excellent pacing, and s
Emma
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Starting in the middle of a series is a crazy idea but read the book. You in a world of low intelligent thanks to a disease that kills any child of high intelligent. One of the main character Klis suffered as a child. Lucky for the robots she and a boy called Brann survived this. The robots they to get these two to help the change of the world.
The story is deep and philosophy like. A bit too deep to read.
Timothy Darling
This book is better written than it's predecessor in the trilogy. It follows the characters more smoothly and one get's a feel for the complexity of what is happening. Unfortunately, the complexity also contributes to the difficulty I had following who the characters actually were. I found myself chapter after chapter flipping back through the book to find a character's name so I would know how to associate them with the current part of the plot. Never the less I found the character's more engag ...more
Emily Catherine
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(4.5)

Awesome! I loved it! Great weaving together, I like his style of writing more than the first of this trilogy but all in all, books 1 and 2 fit together so well and carry the whole universe and storyline exceptionally! Holes of knowledge and information in the original trilogy and following books are given, different perspectives and angles and that feel right. I think they have done an amazing job with this series!

Onto the third and final. The last of them all!
Liedzeit
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Liest sich ganz nett, aber ist doch ohne den Asimov drive. Tatsächlich könnte der Meister ihn selbst geschrieben haben, wenn sein Stil sich weiter verflacht hätte.
Es geht um einen Roboter, der gar nicht mehr an die Gesetze gebunden ist, und mit eigenem Gewissen erkennt, dass das Nullte Gesetz die Menschen entmündigt und böse ist. Das immerhin sehr gut. 5/10
Mark Rabideau
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and intriguing addition to Asimov's legacy. Greg Bear's contribution to this second trilogy carries Hari Seldon to the very cusp of the future. His writing skills most certainly do not disappoint. The plot and characters bob & weave through the eddies of time and history. I hope that the trilogy's final novel by David Brin brings this saga to a satisfying close.
Tim
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Now, I'm not going to say that this series is as ground-breaking as Asimov's (puhlease), but I do highly recommend that all the haters go back and read some of the originals and reassess how they feel about these authors matching (or not matching) Asimov's "voice." Having recently read the entire original series, I'm pretty amazed at how these books fall right in line.
Craig
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* Lots of interesting aspects of the story. For some reason, just couldn't connect with the characters. Maybe it was because there were too many interesting characters? I was just left with the feeling that I had watched something very interesting and was hoping for more?
Rob Markley
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
I really had high hopes of what Bear could bring to Asimov. I like Bear the more but I regret that I feel instead of lifting Foundation Bear was dragged down from his lofty and brilliant science based fiction
Naman Srivastava
Awesome read!

Loved the way the book is integrated to the ones that came before in the series. Just like the others in this series, amazing how the multiple story lines merge together.
Phil Ellenberger
Wonderful

Any ScFi reader worth his salt knows Isaac foundation series They also miss his whole set of works fiction and non fiction. So,when a book rises up that brings a credible as Kinect to the series it's wonderful reading. Thank you Mr. Bear
Joshua Stager
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable.
Christopher Page
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the second Foundation based book I read. After this I read the original Foundation trilogy. In a way I am glad I read this first because it helped built up the story of Hari Seldon, and this book ends in the perfect place for the original Foundation trilogy to pick up. In my opinion you can skip Foundation's Triumph, and probably Foundation's Fear as well as neither are that great. Of the second Foundation trilogy this volume was by far the best, I found the story interesting and it kept ...more
Jen
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compared with the novel that came before in this series, this one was phenomenal!

Foundation and Chaos: The Second Foundation Trilogy is clearly a secondary book in a trilogy. It advances the story arc and sets up the crisis to be resolved in the third novel, without actually answering many questions itself. This novel was a faster read than Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1), and seemed to dovetail very nicely with the initial vignette in Foundation.

I was thrilled to see Dors back
Thomas
So far, I think Greg Bear is my favorite author out of the entire Foundation series. Gregory Benford was definitely a step in the right direction with his characterization skills, but Bear takes that same skill and adds a prevailing plot that keeps the story moving along. It still gets bogged down with a lot of details, but overall, I think he brings the best combination of talents to bear with this novel.

This novel is a direct continuation, thematically, to Foundation's Fear (the story's chrono
Roger Verstraete
Characters:
R. Daneel Olivaw: Leader of the Giskardian robots.
Hari Seldon: Mathist. Founder of psychohistory. Also known as Raven becuase of his forecast of the fall of the Empire.
Linge Chen: Chief commissioner of Public Safety. i.e. the military leader of the Empire.
Wanda Seldon Palver: Granddaughter of Hari Seldon. Wife of Stettin Palver.
Dors Venabili: The Tiger woman. Hari's wife while he was first minister. Died protecting him from an assassination attempt.
Kallusin: Man in green. Leader of th
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Foundation and Chaos (1998) 402 pages by Greg Bear.

Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation is the classic Foundation Trilogy written by Isaac Asimov in the early 1950's. Much later Asimov connected the Foundation universe with his robot universe. Given those elements, Gregory Benford, Bear and David Brin wrote a trilogy of novels focusing on Hari Seldon. In the second of those books Bear is at a point where Linge Chen, chief commissioner of public safety, has brought charges of
Paula
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que lo terminé en parte porque no me gusta dejar libros sin terminar, en parte porque siempre guardo la "esperanza" de encontrar esa parte del libro que me mueva el piso. Bueno, como dicen en inglés, long story short, no encontré esa parte. Se puso "bien" interesante recién cerca del final: ahí pasaron muchas cosas, toda la trama empezó a agilizarse. Me pareció que muchas ideas eran reiterativas: meritocracia, robots controladores, meritocracia en dos párrafos seguidos, robots contr ...more
Thomas Dachsel
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asimov
#2 of the Second Foundation Trilogy is definitely better than #1 (which was very tedious). It gives a lot of background, not all of it is necessary, but some of it is somewhat interesting.

The massive infusion of robots combined with the contribution of the mentalics made the story rather complicated, as two warring factions of robots play a substantial role. As I have not read Asimov's earlier novels on the robots, I have no idea whether all of this was fabricated by Mr. Bear or not. As another
good one 1 7 Nov 17, 2012 06:28PM
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy #1)
  • Foundation's Friends
  • Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel #2)
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)
  • The World at the End of Time
  • Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
  • Janus (Janus, #1-2)
  • The Norby Chronicles (Norby, #1-2)
  • The Garden of Rama (Rama, #3)
  • Neutron Star (Known Space)
  • The Past Through Tomorrow (Future History, #1-21)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

Second Foundation Trilogy (4 books)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy #1)
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)
  • Le Second Cycle de Fondation
“It was when a society became most distressed and antiquated that it would recreate an overwhelming fantasy of some Golden Age, a time when all was great and glorious, when people were more noble and causes more magnificent and honorable.” 0 likes