Start by marking “Jukebox Joyride” as Want to Read:
Jukebox Joyride

Jukebox Joyride

If you could go back in time to witness any concert from all of history, what would it be? Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock? Mozart in the Salzburg court? The Beatles’ rooftop farewell?

Jukebox Joyride follows 12-year-old twins Jules and George on a wild adventure through time. Their Uncle Bob, a renowned ethnomusicologist (he studies music!), has discovered the secret to time tr
Audible Audio
Published June 6th 2019 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Jukebox Joyride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jukebox Joyride

Celeste
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an Audible freebie a few months ago. I generally don’t review anything that is available only on audio, or even mark that I’m reading them on Goodreads. But I decided to make an exception here, because Jukebox Joyride was adorable. The production quality was insane, making this less of an audiobook and more akin to a radio drama from the past. I loved the importance of music to the plot, and the inclusion of actual music in the production was a welcome addition.

The story wasn’t anythin
Eileen
A fun little adventure for kids! I enjoyed this one as well, even if the time traveling rules were a bit sketchy. But except for some minor sound issues, the production was good and the voices were well done. The story was not very complicated, but it was still fun. This would be a fun thing to listen to during road trips.
Violinknitter
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ok, first of all, the production itself is great. Sound design, voice actors, all fine & enjoyable. The story, though?!?

I was soooo frustrated during the whole production. The blurb promises time-travel to famous concerts. You know how many famous concerts they attend? ZERO!!!! Not. A. Single. One!!!!

The idea of an ethnomusicologist time-traveling uncle is really fun! Do you know how much use they made of that??? Did we get to hear almost *anything* about what made particular genres of mus
Jaimie Engle
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A super fun adventure with great production value. I enjoyed listening to this story and could see it as a kids TV series.
Sonny Miller
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable.
Addi
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really cute story about loving music that I plan to read to my daughter.
Elysa
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This short, fun story is perfect for road trips. It's something the whole family can enjoy if you're looking for that. It's a simple and entertaining story with a fun cast of characters.

Unfortunately, the sound levels are way off. The sound effects and music often drown out the reader. This issue seems to be a trend with Audible originals, and I hope they fix it soon.
Linda Heim-barger
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Not exactly what I was hoping for. The idea of blending music into a audio book sounded good to me, but I was expecting so much more. The story line was not that interesting to be. But to be fair, it was written for kids, and my 6 year old grandson kept asking me to turn it on!
Nicholas Driscoll
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly kind of dumb story... nothing much makes any sense at all, including and especially the villain’s motivations. The time traveling is also maybe the most nonsensical I’ve seen in a long time. But the sound effects and music are fun and the performances are engaging.

But did the twins really help solve the problem in the end, in any real way?!
olivereads
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars ⭐ ⭐ This book was free with my Audible subscription so I cannot say that I wasted money on it. However, it was definitely a book written for young children. There was no real depth to the plot. If I was a child, I probably would have found this book to be enjoyable. ...more
Dave Shields
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a free book from Audible that I grabbed because it sounded interesting. It takes off very quickly and goes very fast. I actually enjoyed reading it more than I expected I would. It follows two heroes who happen to be 11 year old twins as they race through time with help of a magic music box. Each time period they visit shares a little music and “soul” of the era, the kids do some stuff and then are whisked away again. Ultimately they strive to save their beloved “Uncle Bob” who has been ...more
Lis Carey
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, f-sf, fiction
George and his twin sister Jules are "practically twelve," really into music. They're active in Stage Band at school, and have their own after-school garage band.

And they really miss their Uncle Bob.

Uncle Bob is an ethnomusicologist, or was, beofre he abruptly disappeared during the filming of a reality show, Pawn Wars, where he'd just won a strange old music box. And in this case, "disappeared" means just that, with cameras rolling, in a great flash of light, with no dam
Enakshi
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solace Winter
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I was somewhere in the 10-15 range, this probably would have been a 5 star story for me. However, it was a bit "simple" in the story-telling while the music was incredible. But to be honest, I would have enjoyed more music from this, a full song somewhere instead of clips of songs (especially the main bands song Jukebox Joyride, you only ever get the hook). The story is simple, and cute, and I think I'd recommend it for any child. The simplicity, for me, though makes it less something I was e ...more
Mike
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a free Audible Original for the month of June. It reminded me Magic Tree House but I didn't feel like they were unknowingly working for a villain the whole time. You ever read those? The Magic Tree House books? The first time they mentioned Morgan La Faye was the person they were being puppeteered by, I wanted to slap whatever cursed item they were trying to bring back to her out of their hands and yell at them to "Get away from that tree house!" This is kind of like that, but the kids ...more
Stephanie Belflower
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this book on Audible for my son. He’s going through a phase where he doesn’t want to read himself (he’s 8) even though he is quite capable. He like for us to read to him at night, but I wanted something more, to maybe entice him to read or listen himself. He LOVED this book! We listened on the way to tae kwon do and anytime we had 20 minutes or more in the car. He remembered the storyline from one listen to the next and bonus, he stayed off the iPad for a little while!! I found the ...more
Jamie
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I realize I’m not in the demographic, and the demographic -at large - probably won’t notice or care, but there are far too many inconsistencies. Things like mentioning in one place that the band only practices on one day of the week and then having them practicing again the next day. Also, it’s hard to buy the characters as living in 2018/2019 and not only because of the unlikelihood of 11 year olds caring about music from 20+ years ago (I work with 11 year olds on a daily basis, and most modern ...more
John Kaess
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun audiobook (audible) adventure story for children. Twins travel through time to find an item on behalf of their Uncle who is an ethnomusicologist. During their adventure they meet famous musicians and attend parts of famous concerts and performances from Mozart to Louis Armstrong and others. I would say this is for about the same age level as Magic Treehouse. Maybe ages 6 to 12. It's fun, interesting and has good sound effects and narration. Your kids will enjoy it, and best of all, it's ab ...more
Jim Gleason
While younger readers may find this to be their 'cup of tea' - not so for me. A youth team is trying to help find a lost treasure in this time travel sci-fy story and after a while, I just lost interest with so many other books in the 'to be read' pile beckoning my reading time.

While I very seldom give up on a book (and love Audible.com's option of returning for credit any book you find you don't like), after several chapters and trying to keep going, finally gave up and quit this read. That do
Penny
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
(Audible)

Good for ages up to 12. This is a fantasy story of eleven year old twins Jules and George who go on a time traveling adventure to find their Uncle Bob. The key to time travel and to all of the adventures is music.

Production includes period music and good sound effects.

Don't think about the plot too long, it won't hold up under scrutiny, but it is a nice fluffy story that will entertain on a road trip.

Recommend for families and kids in the car.
Cameron Whitaker
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Another freebie from Audible. Simple story for kids.. but still found it a little lacking. If you are going to bill it as a time travel to all of these amazing concerts through history, maybe actually go to those concerts... just a thought.

Also, I REALLY wish for books involving music on Audible, that they actually play the song in the listen. Im sure there is some sort of copyright law or something that prevents this, but it would be awesome if they could fix that.
Samantha
This is a fun listen. The sound effects with the snippets of music really add to the presentation of the book. However, the plot is a little simplistic. It's meant more for elementary school children up to young teens. I do wish that the kids traveled back in time a little bit more so that I could listen to more varying times of music.
Derek Jordan
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story that kind of brought one through time by music. Not really heavy on this as it's geared towards kids. A fun time travel ride as long as you are cool with laying the paradox at the end to the side. Production quality of the audio book was really well done. Both the voices and the music.
Brian Umbaugh
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
The premise was great, although I wish the author had done a little more with it. The author chose interesting periods in history (early 1900's New Orleans is not on the top of most lists, but why shouldn't it be?) and the protagonists are likeable. The original music was enjoyable. The ending did not do the rest of the story justice, unfortunately.
Morandia
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic "read". Note that this is an audio book and that the music is a necessary part of the story, so I don't think it could be read in the traditional sense. It started a bit slow, but quickly picked up. My only wish is that it had been longer, with more visits to the past and more types of music discussed. This was an amazing performance.
Kendra McIntyre
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jules and George’s Uncle Bob is missing. Little do they know he’s in another time, visiting all the best concerts ever. Jules and George figure out they have to go after their uncle and join in the time travel adventure! This was a really cute kid novel. It was an Audible Original, so it had much more of a performance aspect with sound effects and songs. This greatly added to the story. The story was cute, and the kids were likable. I really enjoyed it and so did my kids.
Wendy Bunnell
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I downloaded this from Audible to listen with my sons during a car drive. It served it purpose, but held more interest for my older son than for the rest of us.

I liked the concept of traveling through time to explore the history of music. And, the audio production was excellent. But the story--Swiss cheese sized plot holes. Musical mice might have been pleased.
Loni
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This Audible Original was a lot of fun for a family "read". We listened to it on a short trip, it's only about 3.5 hours. It follows young twin musicians as they travel through time learning about music and stopping the villain from ending music forever. It was fun and entertaining and had music throughout. It's not something I would listen to again, but it was a fun one-time listen.
InkFire
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
9/10, awesome storytelling, good voice work, fun sound effects. A good, complete story (beginning, middle, and end) and well-suited to children as well as older audiences. I enjoyed it very much and will definitely listen again.

Note: This is an audio drama, not a book.
Michele
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an Audible Original choice of the month for June. This is geared more toward middle school.

This is a cute time traveling mystery using music to take you through the adventure. Sound effects, music, and various voices make it a great story for all.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »