Start by marking “No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference” as Want to Read:
No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference

No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference

The history-making, ground-breaking speeches of Greta Thunberg, the young activist who has become the voice of a generation

'Everything needs to change. And it has to start today'

In August 2018 a fifteen-year-old Swedish girl, Greta Thunberg, decided not to go to school one day. Her actions ended up sparking a global movement for action against the climate crisis, inspir

Published May 30th 2019 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
My review got posted on Plant Based News - the world's leading website for vegan news, exciting times!

description

It’s been a long time since I felt any hope. Year in year out we seem to only get worse as a species. More and more incompetent leaders are elected into positions of power and we push the planet further and further to co
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Well, my dad was starting up a backyard summer bonfire tonight, anyway. If this book weren't an eBook I'd throw it on the fire. It's the product of a hypocritical, holier-than-thou teenager whose big contribution to climate change was to have kids ditch school. Now, if you've ever seen the extensive amounts of litter left in the wake of protests from Greta Thunberg's political movement, you would find the entire effort pretty laughable. Here in my hometown the kids get driven in mom and dad's mi ...more
Mimi
In August 2018, 15-year-old Greta Thunberg skipped school, instead she headed to the Swedish Parliament site to stage a one-person strike to highlight climate crisis; that seemingly futile gesture has since inspired millions of schoolchildren, globally, to replicate her actions. This is a slender collection of Thunberg’s speeches, these will never be hailed for their rhetorical force, they’re too pared down, and the pieces themselves echo each other, as Thunberg strives to push key points home t ...more
Nadia
This small book is a collection of Greta Thunberg's speeches regarding the climate crisis. There's some repetition of some points across the 11 collected speeches but I still found each one incredibly impactful nonetheless.

I should imagine it would be a great little book to give to those who may be feeling apathetic towards the issue of our warming climate. It also offers a very effectual image of what is facing the younger generations, and the fear many of them feel regarding the poor decision
Kate Wyver
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a feat. Bit repetitive but then so is governments' continuation of ignorance and dismissal.
Kirsty Stanley
Yes there is repetition in her speeches but that doesn’t mean we don’t need to listen. We do and we need to act. I’m trying and taking small steps but industry needs to take large ones. Now.
Marina
** Books 57 - 2019 **

This books to accomplish Tsundoku Books Challenge 2019

4 of 5 stars!

I am curious when three of my Goodreads Friends (Hestia, Melmarian and Mide) bought this books. Hesti's review in goodreads also trigger me to buy this books. She said it only $ 3.50 and it only contains 40 pages.. okay when Ied Mubarak's day and i found in google play books with voucher that I've got only IDR 16,2K i just directly bought it :D

If Pakistan have Malala for Education Empowerment and now Sweden
Lucy
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I applaud Greta Thunberg. A short, sobering, necessary read.
Martyn Sanderson
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
like, okay, wonderfully important message and i’m hugely in support of her cause, but was there any need for this book to just be like 10 of her identical speeches? pretty sure i read the word permafrost more times in this 68 page book than i have heard it the other 25 and a half years of my life
Helma Jongsma
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We are about to sacrifice our civilization for the opportunity of a very small number of people to continue to make enormous amounts of money. We are about to sacrifice the biosphere so that rich people in countries like mine can live in luxury. But it is the sufferings of many which pay for the luxuries of a few"

Chloë
This honestly just made me sad because I truly don't believe that enough will be done to stop global warming and climate change.
David
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short powerful and to the point. Inspiring as it is angering. Why do we entrust our children to fight our battles. My favourite line is regarding Greta’s autism:

“I have Asperger’s sydrome, and to me, almost is black and white. I think in many ways that we autistic are the normal ones and the rest of the people are pretty strange”.
Sanjay L
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great short read and yep, so true as we definitely do need to get the people at the top to wake up and see the reality of climate change and the harms of it!
Imogen
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will forever be in awe of Greta Thunberg. Essential reading for absolutely everyone.
Tomas
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I STAN
Zulekha Saqib
❝ The bigger your carbon footprint - the bigger your moral duty.
The bigger your platform - the bigger your responsibility.
Adults keep saying: ‘We owe it to the young people to give them hope’
But I don’t want your hope.
I don’t want you to be hopeful.
I want you to panic.
I want you to feel the fear I feel everyday.
And then I want you to act.
I want you to act as you would in a crisis.
I want you to act as if our house is on fire.
Because it is. ❞

do yourself and our planet a favor, pick this tiny book
Neil Fulwood
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A transcript of eleven speeches given by the climate activist between September 2018 and April 2019. Every politician on the planet should read this book, spend a short but reflective period of time feeling thoroughly ashamed - and then fucking *act*.
Carrie Morrison
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-home, for-love
I found it incredibly inspiring, to the point I have decided to go vegetarian and transition to veganism in the near future. It is repetitive, but that is probably due to the fact that these speeches will need to have these similar points reinforced to different politicians and audiences. Plus, it really made me remember the key facts Thunberg wanted me to remember. It's a short book and £2.99 from Waterstones so I would recommend.

I can imagine Thunberg becoming a figure in history that people w
Tammam Aloudat
There is a certain level of idealism and faith in one's ability to change the world that slips away from us as we enter into the darkness of adulthood. What seemed once like logical, even inevitable, propositions become unreasonable and unrealistic. Realpolitik takes over and we are suddenly, well, adults.

This doesn't seem catastrophic most of the time. After all, we are surrounded by other complacent adults who have similarly lost their spirits. We lack the imagination and the flare that made
Vikki Littlemore
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
I honestly wish I could give a copy of this book to every single human being on the planet. I know we often use phrases like that too often, and too lightly, but @gretathunberg is literally talking about life and death. Climate change is not a problem we need to solve, it is literally our destruction; yours, and mine. I wish that every person would read this book of speeches, and actually start doing something about it, even if it’s just recycling more, using less plastic, less petrol in the car ...more
Michelle
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a bit nervous at the thought of reviewing this book before I read it, I'm not exactly scientific and I don't know everything there is to know about climate change. If you feel the same way, you'll be happy to know that you and I are the exact audience for this book, because we are definitely not being told the facts by our governments and the media. This collection of speeches is exactly what it needs to be, short and to the point, no fluff, no bullshit and Greta's point is very clear. We ...more
Mandy
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is not too small to make a difference, which is why Puffin chose the title I guess.

Greta Thunberg has the insight to clarify the most important nugget of truth about climate change, that the science is clear, do something about the behaviours causing increasing temperatures now, or it will be too late, and civilisation as we know it will end (she does not spell this out, but it is obvious that the future will be horrifying).

She says massive change is needed, which will mean civilisati
Jen
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greta Thunberg is the 15-year-old Nobel Peace Prize nominee famous for striking from school and protesting outside the Swedish parliament about the need for immediate action to combat climate change. This inspiring short book collects together 11 of her self-written speeches delivered to politicians, business owners and influencers.

There is some inevitable repetition across the speeches, but this should not diminish the content. Her passion and commitment to the cause shine through and the mess
Lizzie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
"I don't want you to be hopeful.
I want you to panic.
I want you to feel the fear I feel every day.
And then I want you to act.
I want you to act as you would in a crisis.
I want you to act as if our house is on fire.
Because it is."

By doing a Masters degree in Climate Change, I find myself in a bubble where I am surrounded by scientists and my peers who all care deeply about the crisis we face. Reading these speeches has been a stark reminder that this issue is not at the forefront of everyone's mi
Erika
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I never knew about her until I saw her books at the bookstores.
All of her speeches reminded me of how I felt when I first learnt about the climate change and all the other social injustices. And of being young and having hope that things can change.

Then I started to think "so what's your specific/concrete plan to achieve these goals?", but I realized that I can't ask her to solve EVERYTHING.
She is just giving us the warning.
What we can/have to do for the future is what we have to start thinking
Will
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I literally just walked past St. Stephen's Green in Dublin during my lunch break, and there was a group of students protesting over climate action.

This is directly down to Greta Thunberg. This is a collection of her speeches, the most recent from April 2019, which is probably also her most effective speech, "Can you hear me?".

I like her speeches, she's direct and appropriately treats the topic at hand - that is, we're hurtling towards an avoidable calamity and no one seems too bothered.
Camila
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a short and simple book that contains the important speeches that Greta Thunberg has given so far.
I'm reading a lot of reviews mentioning that some of her speeches can be repetitive and that this is a bad thing. Well, when you want children (i.e. politicians) who refuse to listen to you and learn, you need to repeat yourself over and over in order to be heard.

Like Anne Frank and Malala Yousafzai, Greta Thunberg will be a name that is repeated in the future as yet another inspirational figu
Senior E
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very real, very relevant. Only thing is, it's a little crude on the message and how it's presented, and doesn't actually give any advice on how an individual can make a significant difference. It does, however, bring attention to the fact that it's not just us, it's everyone, and especially the big businesses. Surprisingly relevant to a Brit, considering it comes from a Swede, and It's short enough for me to get through in one hour. I might lend my copy to someone else as well.
Pol
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Greta's speeches are very interesting, I think everyone has to read this book to understand well, why fighting against climate change is important. It's not politics, it's our future.

PD: I hardly recomend this book to all the teachers that say that they are very ecologists, but this movement was only created because us (teenagers) "don't know what to invent to avoid going to school".
Debb
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few reviews about this book on here, and it seems to be quite a polarising one. I'm very much in the middle, leaning towards the good. I don't think I expected too much out of this and so it was a "pleasant" read. It did what I was hoping it would do: get me more interested in climate change topics and wanting to learn more. That's it, that's all I wanted and that's what I got.
It's a success for me.
Greta Thunberg is a Swedish schoolgirl who, at age 15, began protesting outside the Swedish parliament about the need for immediate action to combat climate change and has since become an outspoken climate activist.

She is known for having initiated the school strike for climate movement that formed in November 2018 and surged globally after the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP24) in D
“Homo Sapiens have not yet failed. Yes, we are failing, but there is still time to turn everything around. We can still fix this. We still have everything in our own hands.” 0 likes