Start by marking “No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference” as Want to Read:
No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference

No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  15,296 ratings  ·  2,082 reviews

The history-making, ground-breaking speeches of Greta Thunberg, the young activist who has become the voice of a generation

'Everything needs to change. And it has to start today'

In August 2018 a fifteen-year-old Swedish girl, Greta Thunberg, decided not to go to school one day. Her actions ended up sparking a global movement for action against the climate crisis, insp

Published May 30th 2019 by Penguin

·  15,296 ratings  ·  2,082 reviews

Start your review of No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
Kat
get em, greta
Rebecca McNutt
2020 UPDATE:

Back in mid-2019, I had posted this review and gotten quite a lot of negative comments on it. I was just deleting the comments, but now I've decided to save myself the trouble and just try to respond to some typical complaints from people here; I am taking five university classes right now, the commute is terrible, and frankly I don't have the time to be going along every day trying to explain to angry people why I'm not a fan of this book. So, I'll try here.

One thing I am NOT going
Sean Barrs
My review got posted on Plant Based News - the world's leading website for vegan news, exciting times!

description

It’s been a long time since I felt any hope. Year in year out we seem to only get worse as a species. More and more incompetent leaders are elected into positions of power and we push the planet further and furt
jessica
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘some people say that i should study to become a climate scientist so that i can “solve the climate crisis.” but the climate crisis has already been solved. we already have all the facts and solutions. all we have to do is to wake up and change.’

continuing my tradition of starting off the new year with some words of action and much needed inspiration (see last year).

i heard about greta thunberg so much towards the end of last year, but i never watched or read any of her speeches. i shouldnt
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Not impressed.

Rating. We start at 5 stars:
+6 stars: I give it an extra star for the author's devotion to nature (+1 star), young age (+1 star), determination (+1 star), mental illness (+1 star), another +1 star so that she wouldn't cry (or sulk or whatever she does to terrorize her parents) and for everything else that I couldn't give a damn to care to remember or list (+1 star).
-1 star for repetitiveness
-1 star for no solutions suggested
-1 star for boring writing, as she isn't 8 to write so si
Mario the lone bookwolf
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To have achieved more in this age than others in one's life speaks for itself. And an ode to "haters gonna hate".

It can not be put into words how great this movement is. Nobody has so far been able to positively mobilize the youth of the 21st century to such an extent. Spotlighting the topics of climate change, environmental degradation and the stupidity of the economy, as trivialized by the leading media. To describe the positive could fill volumes.

But now to the haters, who unfortunately sti
Kat Valentine
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matt
Basically, in a world in which a great number of policy makers are loosing their marbles 16-year-old Greta Thunberg is demanding of those “world leaders” to finally listen to the crushing majority of scientists and start doing something reasonable before we loose the one blue marble our all lives depend on.

What the Fuck is wrong with that?

________
[Update 05 November 2019]

11,000+ scientists (and Greta) warn of ‘untold suffering’: World Scientists’ Warning of a Climate Emergency
An immense inc
Emma
Oct 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
*Unpopular opinion alert* I absolutely hated this little book.

It is a collection of Greta’s speeches, but they are all extremely dull to read, and various paragraphs are repeated over and over in different speeches. This does not mean I find her uninspiring or that I don’t believe in climate change, I 1000% do! But this book is absolutely not the way to go if you want to convince people of your cause. There is background info missing, which I guess you wouldn’t have time to explain during a spe
Riku Sayuj
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We cannot solve a crisis without treating it as a crisis.

To all of you who choose to look the other way every day because you seem more frightened of the changes that can prevent catastrophic climate change than the catastrophic climate change itself.

Your silence is almost worst of all.

The future of all the coming generations rests on your shoulders.

Those of us who are still children can’t change what you do now once we’re old enough to do something about it.

So please, treat the climate crisis
Laura Cearra
Aug 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-own
I don't understand how people find it acceptable to publish a book with 10 identical speeches.
Kate
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a feat. Bit repetitive but then so is governments' continuation of ignorance and dismissal.
notgettingenough
Apologies for the French, but it's so fucking hard to understand why we can't just get with the program.

What's happening is this. The answers to our problems lie in extremely cheap, low tech solutions. All my reading on this at the moment leads me to the conclusion that peasants in China, India, Africa, South America can do the right thing we can't. Because it's too easy for us. We seem to be so propagandised with the notion that if things aren't high tech, they are primitive.

People. We have to
Deborah
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweden
15-year-old Swedish Greta Thunberg began a climate awareness strike outside the Swedish Parliament in August 2018. Her efforts have become an impetus for millions of other children to go on strike from their schools and the arousal of a worldwide movement to recognize our climate crisis. This is a collection of her speeches before the British Parliament, the United Nations, the U.S. Congress, the French National Assembly, and other organizations and governments. Greta addresses her critics by li ...more
André Oliveira
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The only complaint is: some speeches seemed repetitive.
Dannii Elle
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

This slim volume collects together a handful of climate activist, Greta Thunberg's, speeches. I had probably heard all of these before, through live recordings and Youtube videos, and yet the passion and the power of her words was not lost on me, in their written format.

These speeches often overlap and some phrases are replicated throughout, but I found these repeated statements only to confirm rather than detract from her plea for radical climate initiatives to be put
Bea
Financial success has come with an unthinkable price tag.
There are no grey areas when it comes to survival.

This is quite a hard book to rate, especially as it's a collection of speeches and not something with a flowing consistent plot. There was a lot of repetition which makes sense in speeches but it really started to annoy me in book from making me think this was probably not the best way to put the message of the climate crisis across. The amount of times I heard 'our house is on fire' for e
Sidharth Vardhan
I could have written defenses for her but I think she defends herself well enough against all the arguments raised against her. If people are unwilling to listen to her before judging her, I don't think they will care to read about her side here. And several reviewers here have already done that.

And I do not wish to talk about climate change problem here either which seems obvious enough. And again a job people like Greta are doing well enough.

There is though one thing I agree on with critics -
Rachel
How you feel about this book is entirely going to depend on what you're expecting to get out of it.  This is not a scientific text, nor is it an in-depth exploration of possible solutions to climate change.  This is a rallying cry; a wake-up call to anyone who isn't paying attention to the catastrophic state our planet is in.  If you're familiar with Greta Thunberg from the news or social media, you'll pretty much know what to expect from this, and it does deliver.

That said, my god did the repet
Shine Story
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2020
Greta Thunberg is incredible.
I'd highly recommend the hardback edition with photos! A lovely collection of important speeches from a driven young woman.
Occasionally, it felt a little repetitive, but I suppose that's to be expected from a collection of speeches. Saying this, Greta's message should be screamed from the rooftops over and over again.
Barbara
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This is all about an emergency, and not just any emergency. This is the biggest crisis humanity has ever faced."

Greta Thunberg is not speaking about the pandemic, although there are many similarities. The world sees the travesties of this current emergency because it is so 'in the face'. But if everyone put the puzzle pieces of global warming together - rising temperatures, increase occurrence of droughts, floods, and wildfires, the melting polar cap, and more, maybe the immediate need for acti
Alice Lippart
Worth reading and thinking over, but understandably a little repetitive.
Lo O'Neill
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference is a great little book, it is not revolutionary and nothing that we haven’t heard before but it is a powerful and impactful call to action. It is a little repetitive but what else would you expect from a collection of speeches (especially ones that are on the same topic) but considering the state of the world it is a message that needs to be drilled home.

This short and quick read is a great starting point and one that I would recommend that others read (
Lucy
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I applaud Greta Thunberg. A short, sobering, necessary read.
leynes
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admire Greta a great deal. I am in awe at how gracefully she shoulders the burden that was unrightfully put upon her. When she started striking in August 2018, she could not have fathomed that her actions would inspire millions of others to join her and her cause. But with that rise to world fame, Greta has become a target for critics and trolls. I am absolutely disgusted by the hatred and threats, the misogyny and condescending attitudes that she has to deal with every single day. No one shou ...more
Anastasiya Mozgovaya
an urgent must-read for everyone!

"to do your best is no longer good enough. we must all do the seemingly impossible."
Lizzie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
"I don't want you to be hopeful.
I want you to panic.
I want you to feel the fear I feel every day.
And then I want you to act.
I want you to act as you would in a crisis.
I want you to act as if our house is on fire.
Because it is."

By doing a Masters degree in Climate Change, I find myself in a bubble where I am surrounded by scientists and my peers who all care deeply about the crisis we face. Reading these speeches has been a stark reminder that this issue is not at the forefront of everyone's mi
Ietrio
Sep 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
A strong reminder of how miserable and irrational was life in the days of Jeanne d'Arc.
Aoife
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is no excuse really not to give this book 5 stars for me - Greta is a 16-year-old who ended up speaking on behalf of the literal planet because she wants a better future for herself and inspired change amongst a generation of people. Amazing!

I really love Greta's speeches as they really get to the heart of the matter which is we need to change our ways now before it's too late. She never gets convoluted with her message, or tries to sound above it all. She's a girl like your sister, your c
Owlseyes
“I just worry about the fact we use a kid like this, who arguably should be getting treatment because she’s said she’s had anorexia, said she’s had Asperger’s and said she’s battled depression."
Psychologist Dr Michael Carr-Gregg

“Greta Thunberg is admirable in many ways. She is driven and articulate. But it is patently clear now she’s being exploited…she has been turned into the spokesperson for doom, the mouthpiece of eco-misanthropy…”
In “Save Greta” by Brendan O’Neill, editor of Spiked.

“We

• Cosmopolitan
  • In Praise of Walking: A New Scientific Exploration
  • The Lying Life of Adults
  • Saltwater
  • Tutte le ragazze avanti!
  • Livet - Illustrert
  • Wilding
  • Blast #1
  • Women Don't Owe You Pretty
  • Zaha Hadid
Greta Thunberg is a Swedish schoolgirl who, at age 15, began protesting outside the Swedish parliament about the need for immediate action to combat climate change and has since become an outspoken climate activist.

She is known for having initiated the school strike for climate movement that formed in November 2018 and surged globally after the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP24) in D

News & Interviews

“We must change almost everything in our current societies.
The bigger your carbon footprint - the bigger your moral duty.
The bigger your platform - the bigger your responsibility.
Adults keep saying: 'We owe it to the young people to given them hope.'
But I don't want your hope.
I don't want you to be hopeful.
I want you to panic.
I want you to feel the fear I feel every day.
And then I want you to act.
I want you to act as you would in a crisis.
I want you to act as if our house is on fire.
Because it is.”
36 likes
“Homo Sapiens have not yet failed. Yes, we are failing, but there is still time to turn everything around. We can still fix this. We still have everything in our own hands.” 22 likes