Start by marking “Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide” as Want to Read:
Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide

Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide

Rails is a full-stack, open source web framework that enables you to create full-featured, sophisticated web-based applications, but with a twist... A full Rails application probably has less total code than the XML you'd need to configure the same application in other frameworks. With this book you'll learn how to use "ActiveRecord" to connect business objects and databas ...more
Published July 28th 2005 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published July 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Agile Web Development with Rails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile Web Development with Rails

Dimitrios
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book, perfect companion for new or experienced developers willing to dive into Rails.

Even though the book is updated for Rails 5 it stills mentions apache / passenger in the deployment section without any mention on how to make ActionCable work with that stack.
Josh Frankel
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: programming
Not a good book for starting to learn the language. A much better choice is Michael Hartl's book Learn Web Development with Rails
Brent
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: techie
I read the first 100 pages last night. I'm really starting to like this rails stuff. This is really helping me get a handle on Rails. Good stuff.
Tom Purl
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
In general, this book does a fairly good job of helping you create a rails-based application. Part 3 includes some great in-depth information on the topics that are briefly discussed in Part 2.

I only have one real gripe about this book. It packs in lots of topics (e.g. db theory, AJAX, unit testing, security, deployment), but it doesn't really tell you much about them. Therefore, if you have a problem, then good luck figuring it out using the content in the book.

A good example is the final cha
Michael Economy
[Review of Second Edition]

Dave thomas is a pretty good writer, I thought that The Pragmatic Programmer was an excellent book. However, alot of the garbage suggested in AWD makes me doubt how much experience the author has writing scalable, agile, high traffic web-applications.

If you go into this book looking to learn how to code with rails, thats fine, but don't expect to learn to program well for the web from this book. Infact, be prepared to ignore large portions of the book.

Anyway I guess thi
Jevgeni Holodkov
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: rapid
It was one of the books with I read using rapid reading techniques. It means, that my review is going to be biased.

I liked the book - the first part was a hands-on tutorial on building a rails application from stratch. I believe it covered all the most popular issues we have when building web applications. The book includes information on how to do automated testing, like functional and unit testing. However, it expects to enter all commands to the rails console and does not always provide "res
Sam
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Programmers
If you are interested in getting started with Rails, this is the way to go. I'd recommend you read the first few chapters of Thomas' "Programming Ruby" first, to get a foundation in ruby first.
Mark
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
I met Dave Thomas at a Ruby on Rails class. He really knows his stuff and I refer to his book at work.
Sebastian Gebski
I needed a Rails refresh (without getting to deep - like in "The Rails Way") & that's precisely what I got.

Up-to-date (actually the most up-to-date book on the market on this topic at the moment of writing this review), very well structured, edited & presented - PragProg NEVER disappoints here. Their book can proudly hold the label "by developers for developers". Great code samples, clear description, fine pace - it really worked for me flawlessly. Maybe it's the case of knowing Rails ea
Imtiaz Emu
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
If you’re new to Rails, you’ll get step-by-step guidance. If you’re an experienced developer, this book will give you the comprehensive, insider information you need.
Vladyslav Siriniok
Good for teaching beginners
Djeison
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting work, an excellent walk-through Rails framework. For me, as a Java Web Developer, it was a highly clarifying reading where I got to understand better this framework.
Anton Antonov
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: technical
Buzzwords don't make a great book.

"AWDR4" is a ... mess. The book doesn't have a clear goal of what to teach you. The "Rails is Agile" yada-yada, recital of the Agile manifesto and etc is just a facade. Rails is not an universal fix it all hammer that scales (architecture wise) in any project and size.

I might actually say that Rails as it is now in 2015, is in much trouble and definitely has to push focus on architectural changes and improvements instead of useless features *cough* *cough* Acti
Thomas Wolfe
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Thomas by: Michael Kory Woods
Shelves: programming, ruby, rails
Suggested by my friend Kory. I read the beta version of this book. Again, in some ways I prefer books with a few errors, keeps me on my toes. I've got a few ideas on what I'm going to build with this new tool, I'll post back here when I do (although now I kind of want to play with jquery since I really know nothing about that library and it could prove useful in rails, or well any type of web apps). It's quite verbose, but I guess for people who want their hand held a bit (I'll admit, hand-holdi ...more
Shaun
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-programming
After introducing myself to Ruby, I read this book to become more familiar with the Rails framework. I was very pleased with how this book was laid out. The first section has you dig right into creating a basic storefront by guiding you through the basics of using the Rails framework. This first section teaches you everything you need to create a basic site of your own. The latter sections of the book go into depth regarding each concept you learned in the initial sections as well as other advan ...more
Darryl
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent book to learn rails. I'm a total noob when it comes to web apps, yet this book was good enough to get me through my first site. The approach they take is to write a full website first, then go back and fill in the details. I think this was a good approach as long as you're willing to do the whole example site along with the book. However, it made it hard to use the book as a reference once you run off on your own. Many times I knew I had seen a topic in the book and couldn't find it later ...more
Chris Maguire
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Great intro to rails. It felt a little backwards building up a site before going into the details, but it wasn't too bad. I feel confident now that I could sit down at a rails app and at lease have an idea of what's going on.

I didn't follow along or do the exercises, which is crucial, and the book was still good.

This book changed my opinion of rails from "meh" to "wow". Rails is very powerful stuff. I don't necessarily like Ruby all that much but Rails is a pretty full-featured and capable too
Andrew
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is really a great book, describing everything you need to start with Rails. For this reason as well as to recommend anyone starting out with Rails to read this book, I rate it 5 stars. However, the book is not advanced enough to teach Rails from scratch to developers already familiar with modern web development. Anyway, I recommend even experienced web developers moving to Rails to run quickly through this book, take notes and move on to "The Rails 4 Way".
Pangiotis Atmatzidis
The intro says that you can keep up if you don't know ruby and with relatively little CSS/HTML but I don't think so. I don't know much about CSS or HTML but I know ruby and have written two applications using Sinatra and MVC. Everything seems easy, I am trying to cope with the abstraction level but I wouldn't say that this book is for beginners. On the other hand I like its approach, goes directly to web development without loosing too much over various subjects, rails is a framework after all, ...more
Krom
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the best book I found for Rails web development. If I had to choose between "Simply Rails" and this book, I would choose this book. The reason being that Simply Rails is a very gentle walk through of an example website, and that's about it. This book has that as the first section, and then continues on with more technical discussions of the major moving parts in the rails framework, and thus serves as both a primer and a reference.

The 4th edition is due to arrive soon, and is retooled

次の版が出たとしても、前の版を読んでいるなら
日本語訳版が出る前に、英語版が出て直ぐに買って読むのが
英語の勉強にもなるし良いと思われる。

Randall
The first half of this book does a nice job of holding your hand and leading you through the creation of an application. Then the authors stick their hands in their pockets and let you fend for yourself. They move from consistent and explained examples to tech shorthand which is the most frequent boo boo of programming books for beginners. I have yet to find the book that speaks English (as opposed to Tech-ese) from cover to cover.
Chris Kottom
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still one of the best books for beginners to get their heads around a growing framework or for old hands at Rails to get a quick refresh and overview of the new parts of the framework. It's a little light on some parts of Rails development (testing, Rails APIs, etc.) but a solid overview without being over long.
Paul
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rails
A good book to have read at some point for historical reasons - DHH's involvement kind of makes that an imperative. However, it's dated (actually pre 1.0) so many of the specifics are no longer correct or recommended, and it misses big chunks of what is now conventional rails (RESTful routes for example). A better source for current practice (at least until 3.0) is The Rails Way by Obie Fernandez
Beau
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading for savvy designers and developers cleverly boarding the ruby on rails train. All designers should learn to code. Ruby is a beautiful language and rails makes a practical partner to bring your next napkin sketch into reality. This book was written in part by DHH, the creator of rails among other things. That rendered the book a trusted source for conventions and best practices.
Rich Daley
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first edition of this book years ago and, wanting to get back into Rails, I read it again to bring myself back up to date.

It was good to read the major differences since Rails 0.9, although most of the book was not new to me. Most importantly, however, it's given me all the right pointers in the direction of where to go next to learn the specifics I need for my projects.
Nathan
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this if you want to get started learning Rails and already have some programming experience. It doesn't go too far into explaining how Ruby works, so if you are not comfortable diving in all at once, be sure to learn the basics of Ruby before you pick up this book.
Michael
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Essential reading for the aspiring Rails developer. These guys helped popularize Ruby and Rails with their early books on the subjects and the latest editions cover the new versions of each very well. Old Rails hands will not find much reason to be excited about this one.
Trey
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ruby-on-rails
This was the first book I read when learning Ruby on Rails. I highly recommend it as the text is easy to follow, concepts are presented well, and the examples are fun and interesting. I still keep it by my computer when I work on projects to use as a reference guide.
Mike Han
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Like many other reviewers has said, this book is an absolute necessity for all the newbies who are learning ruby on rails for all sorts of reasons. I certainly like the way the book leads you to dig right into the coding something basic before educating you with all the little details afterwards.
  • Rails Recipes
  • The RSpec Book
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • The Rails 3 Way
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Rails Antipatterns: Best Practice Ruby on Rails Refactoring
  • Programming Clojure
  • Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby
  • Pro Git

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »